Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is Cavandish in the tdf this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

He's got more mentions than probably all but 5 others in the race, but no he's not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,725 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

Watching the TT and the Danish rider from UAE will surely set the early target. Lost heaps of time after his extraordinary mountain heroics last Wednesday.

Sean K calls him 'Szberg' - wasn't there a Swiss guy in the 90s named Zberg that Sean remembers?

On the other hand, Carlton is calling him 'Bleourrrrrgggh' of 'Beowwwl' depending on his levels of excitement.

How in the name of God can they sit beside each other and not decide what these guys are actually called? It's infuriating after 3 weeks? Any Danish speakers on board here?

It's equivalent to calling Sean Kelly 'Seen Kyalluughh' pure muck

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Don’t try and get cycling news from Virgin Media. They described todays stage in Paris as being precessional 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Surprised Wout and Laporte etc didn’t give the sprint a go instead of crossing the line as a team.

Ewan got himself boxed in, what a dreadful tour in the end for him and Lotto

Delighted for Philipsen, they seem to be nabbing riders as they pass for interviews there. Sagan was gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Don’t like that the Green Jersey didn’t compete for the stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

He was comical, thought the tour was pretty easy because he didn't win anything so had no media work to do. I bet TotalEnergies loved hearing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭MyDarkArts

I hope the next few TDFs don't become processions with Vinegagaard dominating for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭DonegalBay

Very enjoyable Tour overall. One of the best I have seen, though Jumbo were a little too dominant at times. Van Aert was man of the Tour for me, but hard to believe sometimes I have to admit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Only a fortnight ago people said the same about Pog and Jumbo hadn't a hope so I don't see it.

I'm excited to see what Ineos can do ...... never thought I'd say that... with what they have coming up. Carlos Rodriguez is down for La Vuelta and it's his first 3 week test and in support of Carapaz but I have good feelings about him since L'avenir last year, who knows what he could do with support behind him and there's the other young lads that went well in the classics.

I think Ineos haven't made best use of the assets they have and haven't been ruthless enough when it comes to selection for the big tours. Like Adam Yates I don't think should have been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

What a tour. The crowds in Denmark, Wouts single handed stage win on 4. The Roubaix stage. La Planche Super. The big boy mountains and the double pronged attack from Jumbo on Pogacar. Then the stage where Pogacar cracked. All culminating in the madness of the last lap with Pogacar and Hanna having a dart. Magnificent.

Everything bar maybe stage 3 had something going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,172 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't think Pog was at his usual standard this year. I remember La Fleche Wallone where he struggled at the finish.

Also Egan Bernal will be back next year. He hasn't been himself for a couple of years but hopefully we'll see him back to his best next year.

We don't know how good Jai Hindley can be either. He was very impressive in the Giro. Then you have Carapaz becoming a true no.1 with EF Education-EasyPost.

I think next year's Tour could be one of the best ever.

Can't see Bernal coming back tbh. He had a Giro in him with the back issues which surprised me big time but after the most recent injuries I can't see it.

What really can’t be underestimated is how much hard racing Pogacar has done for the last 2 years. He’s races like Merckx or Hinault, all the way from March to October. I think he’ll have a very different calendar next year. Skip the cobbled classics and focus more on the tour. As much as I love it, it’s not really possible to do anymore.

Or maybe he won’t and win everything, the guy is unreal.

they/them/theirs

My best ever league finish. I was the only one in the top 10 without WVA. What in god’s name was I thinking. Never again.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭MyDarkArts

I was taking the piss a little bit out of people who make such pronouncements, when Bernal won the tour he was apparently going to dominate for ever and ever, same with Pogačar.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Best tour in many a year if not the best, it was like a GT with plenty of monuments thrown into the mix such was the quality of the racing.

I expected Vingegaard to really push pog and rog hard this year and even win it as he is the best long climber in the pro peleton and has a great TT but i wasnt sure he had it in him for 3 weeks.

Gutted for Roglic, the lad has to be the most unluckiest GC rider ever in the TDF, its a weird one for him now at Jumbo Visma after the rise of Vingegaard.

While i was rooting for Vingegaard or Roglic mainly to stop it turning into the Pog show i love Pogacar and how he races on instinct, not since maybe Contador have we seen a GC rider attack so much, hes a joy to watch.

Im no fan of Ineos but Thomas was great ,hit form i never thought id see from him again and had an armchair view of the Pog/Vingegaard battle.

But WVA was the rider of the tour for me just incredible,a modern day Kelly and Merckx.

Exciting times for the next few years with these guys and the likes for Bernal hopefully coming back strong and Remco Evenepoel possibly turning into a serious GC rider [la vuelta will tell us more].

I think comparing Wout to Merckx may be hyperbole 😀, but I agree with the rest.

Wout is the best all rounder since Kelly, I think he could win a Vuelta or Giro with the right backing and preparation. Tom Dumoulin style.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

That will be precessions according to Virgin Media 😉😉😉

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I was actually gonna say Kelly and Dumoulin and then i said no hes better than Tom D :) Merckx might be a stretch but time will tell.

Hes only been in the world tour 4 years if im not mistaken?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Macy0161

With all due respect to the King (my favourite ever!), I'd say the vuelta is more climber orientated now. While the shorter, punchier uphill finishes WvA may be able to survive, the real steep stuff power to weight is just too important.

Pog wasted a hell of a lot of energy, with attacks that made no tactical sense and sprinting for the sake of sprinting. I kinda prefer a bit more of critical look at tactics than the Pog w*nkfest most commentary became. Mind you, they kept criticising JV for their tactics that were working, so maybe the minds just aren't in the commentary booths! In the end I was delighted Jonas showed he was the strongest in Alps, Pyrenees and ITT, as his performance was being really overlooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

Few teams were pretty anonymous this year. Movistar, Astana & Total. Without Valverde at any race Movistar seem to just vanish

• Registered Users Posts: 16,728 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Jorgensen was very active for Movistar & had a good tour with breakaway attempts.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Izagirre skipping the final stage, where he could’ve finished the tour in like 33rd place, to ride the Ordiziako Klasika is probably the most Movistar thing I’ve ever heard.

I get it’s his home race and all but seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Kinda belies the stuff we see of riders struggling on. Probably too soon for the post tour table, but are they in danger of being sucked into the relegation battle with IPT and EF having a decent race, so is it points related?

Advertisement