Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Note Post #1 - The 2022 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Hope i never see this Kerry team being favourably compared to that great Dublin team over the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭munster87

Depends what they go on to do.

I’ve seen Flynn.

Great player.

Different class though.

Yep can see how a ref could see it but it wasn’t a free imo

• Registered Users Posts: 38,601 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

• Registered Users Posts: 23,799 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Aside from when Gleeson tried to kick it short to a ghost and gifted Kerry the ball for no reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭dvega

Outside of the Camp Nou or Wembley, 80k in Croke Park is one of the most unbelievable experiences anyone can ever see or hear. TV just does not do it justice. It only happens twice a year and it's phenomenal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Galway gave themselves every chance in that game. In the final quarter, around the 60min. mark ,they had two chances to get in behind the Kerry hal-back, midfield line. The first chance was a Galway lad with vision to see the play ,but slightly mistimed his hand pass. Kerry intercepted and I think they may have got a point from that play. A minute later a Galway player under the Hogan, cut inside to line up a left foot shot at the posts. Between the Kerry half-back and full back line were three Galwaymen in that space. He shot wide of the posts and you could see the disgust /disappointment in those three players demeanour.

A Gooch/Connolly would have popped a ball into that space. I think Galway were a point behind at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,519 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I made a comment earlier how absolutely gassed Galway looked from just before 60 minute mark or so... Galway didn't register a single score in the last 11 minutes of play. 65th minute was their last point and 6 extra minutes played...

Looking back they just looked seriously leggy and wiped at the end..chasing shadows.

That 65th minute point brought them level and you might have thought the impetus for a grandstand finish but they were done...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Zzz

Im sure I could knock a gag out of sunny sundays being few and far between, but then id be the type to claim that walsh bottled his last kick, or that comer wilted on the big day, etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,799 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I dont know if its due to strength of the panel being poor or Joyce just not wanting to change things during a match but outside of Ó Laoi who is always used there isn't much on the bench.

• Advertisement

Yes agree with this. Was at the Dublin v Kerry and Limerick v Kilkenny games and watched todays game at home. Being at the game live enhances everything tenfold. There is no comparison.

In fairness to Shane Walsh I was looking at how he could have performed better in previous games for Galway but he was immense today. Really stood up.

Probably pushed him over into the all star team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Cillian McDaid was excellent, he's had a massive year

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I've had a few hours to simmer...

Firstly the game was a cracker.

Secondly the absolute fellating of Clifford all game was just ridiculous. What did he do that a half decent forward wouldn't do? Mindboggling.

Thirdly, as much as I hated Kerry winning; I'm delighted for David Moran, Paul Geaney, and Seán O'Shea as they have been top notch over the years or in the case of O'Shea, the most important player for Kerry the last 3.

And fourthly Shane Walsh, take a bow. What a performance. MOTM by a mile.

Anyway, roll on January.

COYBIB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭shockframe

Kerry just about got over the line. They must have been happy to be only a point down at half time. Third quarter was crucial. Had Galway gone 3 up when it was 14-12 it might have been a different story but they finished the game that bit stronger.Though outside of David Clifford I'm not sure they were much better than Tyrone last season. There's talk of them dominating but you would have expected them to be further down the line with all the All Ireland winning minors of 14-18.

It was a good show from Galway. Too many times over the years they would leave you frustrated watching them. Not to be today but a huge difference in attitude and know how this season.

The challenge now for them is maintaining that. Wouldnt surprise anyone if they didn't build on it for 2023 but maybe losing today could be key to their development.

A decent final all in all. Maybe not as good as 2017 or 2019 but a bit better than I would have expected beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Stewball

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Just back. Who got man of the match? I'm guessing it was Clifford for the narrative. Outside of a couple of good marks he didn't look anything special.

Shane Walsh gave a superb all Ireland final performance.

Mcdaid was good in attack.

Galway midfield were dominated though in the air. That was disappointing.

Comer was never in the game despite winning his ball every time it went into him out in front.

Referee was average. The turnover comer got and he was then fouled that resulted in a kerry free was ridiculous.

Hop ball for short kickout... Didn't see it up close but didn't seem to be a problem? Maybe someone can let me know.

Galway keeper should have got a black card.

Kerry defender was caught on the ball in the corner and over carried and got away with it.

The best team won but people who were claiming it was going to be a walk in the park for kerry were well wrong. Galway were the better team for 55 minutes.

Man of the match will be named at the players hotel tonight. Personally i think Shane Walsh was the best player today but it will go to the winning team and David Clifford. I'm not sure a losing finalist ever won the man of the match award. Something rings a bell that it may have happened but cant remember for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭cosatron

Padraic kelly got man of the match in 93 for galway losing to kk in an all ireland. I think Walsh deserves motm some of points were breathtaking. Unfortunately we had no players of the calibre of the spillanes on the bench.

Thanks for that. Perhaps he will win it. I agree he deserves it. Just thinking of last week at the Limerick hotel and all the interviews and it would have been strange if they had no man of the match to announce. It always adds to the winning teams celebrations. Didnt RTE Sunday Game used to visit both winning and losing team hotels the night of an All Ireland back then and it was possibly easier to give the man of the match to a losing player?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Thats an interesting question. Peter Canavan in 95 must have been in contention since I think he got all but one of Tyrone's scores on the day. But just googled it, and it was Paul Curran

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭shockframe

They were at Limerick's banquet in 1996 but seemed to be winning banquet only not long after that.

With Youtube/Podcasting nowadays that's become the primary post match reaction area.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

It should be an interesting Championship next year, I don't think Kerry are good enough to dominate like what Dublin did. It will also be a good Division 2 next year with a Dublin Derry final.

I am surprised to see that Clifford is a father already though I suppose it would hard not to be with all the female attention that sort of fame attracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Flynn was a complete different type of player an all rounder. Did the dirty work covered the ground for the more flamboyant players. Plus he could take a score rarely wasted ball.

David Clifford - great player but is dependent on others to give him the ball.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Flynn was more of a Galvin type player (to make a Kerry comparison).

A workhorse. But also very talented.

Are you saying Clifford can’t win his own ball?

There’s no comparison in terms of skill imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

His performance of fielding today says otherwise...

He is the most skillful forward in the country.

Only guy coming near him is walsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

It would have won 17 of the finals played this century

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭acequion

Such bitterness. If Galway were the better team for that long they'd have got over the line. They didn't. They took on a Kerry team under massive pressure from the favourites tag and really went for the jugular and were the better team for the first half. And kept neck in neck for the second half too. And Galway are an excellent team and soon to be All Ireland champs, no doubt. But the better team hangs on and doesn't wilt. Galway wilted today. Kerry's experience, better management, better team performance and better bench won the day. The better team won, not hugely better, but still better and now deservedly All Ireland champions. Get over it!

• Advertisement

Kilkenny not far off either.

You could play him any position and he’d stand out.

Advertisement