Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf coverage/commentator discussion thread!! Mod note #12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Is it just me or have there been a lot of instances today where the camera couldn't follow the ball? Might be to do with how far balls are running

• Registered Users Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Bulk of the coverage right now seems to be of a guy tied for 145th...

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Tiger overload again this morning, practice range, putting green, just stopped short of watching him eating his breakfast

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

He’ll be finished by this afternoon so that’ll be done by then

I suppose it was a homecoming of sorts for him so I’d forgive them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Coltart half asleep this morning or maybe that's just his normal state - got confused about whether golf tournaments are 72 or 74 holes, also I'm pretty he said Justin Thompson.

Also, saying Harrington has a chance as this course is about guile rather than big hitting - eh, is Harrington not a big hitter, he's not Bryson or C. Champ but is very competitive with most of the rest in terms of ball speed.

Post edited by BrianD3 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭boccy23

Probably missed it, but what the hell is the "Strike Meter" they show for drives?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,531 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

They mentioned something about it to Rory after his round yesterday. Supposed to be an analysis of the quality of the strike with the driver.

Said that the average on tour is a score around 60, and he had hit some monster drive 400 yards on one of the holes and the strike score was 84 or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭boccy23

And how are they measuring it? Is it a Trackman type of output?

Coltart is so miserable my god

‘Don’t be surprised if he’s in the mix’ is such a bollox cliché

Conveniently leaves the door open for an ‘I told you so’, even though it was mentioned for about 1/3rd the field

• Advertisement

I have no idea what the scale is or what it means, they haven't explained it at all. Yesterday some lad hit a perfect draw down the middle and had a score of 49, it all seems a bit arbitrary.

Serious lack of Beemer on the coverage so far, probably their best contributor

In general I find the commentary team to be good. McGinley is meant to be a very pleasant chap in real life, but small doses of him are enough on commentary. I find Laura Davies to be very good, especially when she’s co-commentating with Murray - they have a good rapport.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,275 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Laura Davies is the best golf commentator bar none on either side of the Atlantic.

McGinley deserves credit, he was criticising McIlroy for a while and now his game is in better shape and he's waxing lyrical about him. He always has his homework about the course done too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

McGinley is painful!

Never shuts up and just says whatever comes into his head.

On about some players girlfriend living in Dundee and being a dentist.

And meant to say it yesterday but would they ever shut up about rorys power. Every drive he made they were going crazy over the distance.

The "Strikemeter" is getting absolutely savaged on Twitter, doubt we'll see it make another appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I hope we never see it again. It was a pointless addition

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Another useless sky innovation for the sake of innovation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭finglashoop

no idea what the point was but if thats the response they have to LIV going a different way with coverage etc.

its pathetic

I must say that sky badly need to up their game with their golf commentary. Four events this week, only one half decent in the seniors open. Great that they are showing all this golf, but the coverage and the product, needs a major overhaul. From the bits I've seen, the LIV golf on youtube is on a different level. And with David Feherty part of the LIV commentary team starting next week, I can only see further improvements with their coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Who’s the irish chap commentating on the DP golf at the moment?

Aside from the lack of ads, in what way is the LIV coverage on a different level?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Dero123

Brendan Lawlor, he did some commentary at the JP Pro-am as well

I probably was OTT when I mentioned that LIV golf coverage was "on a different level" but as you mention the lack of ads is huge and with Feherty teaming up next week, I think the coverage will get better. My criticism of sky still stands re previous post.

Would also love to see more live Challenge tour events on sky, the Irish challenge is on next week at the K Club. They really don't promote the tour that well at all, after all it's the stars of tomorrow and beyond, the breeding ground for major and Ryder Cup champions. Would have far more interest in those tournaments, then run in a mill DP Tour event with no Irish involvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Caddy cart

Would love to see the viewing figures for the challenge tour from the k club on a Friday morning. It’s no wonder they don’t cover it. Outside of the majors how popular is golf really!!!!

Thanks, I was wondering too. Think he did well for someone with presumably zero broadcasting experience

• Registered Users Posts: 38,275 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well I'll never know what the golf tour sponsored by murderers is like but good luck with that.

I think McGinley has improved a lot. I like Richard Boxall a lot, I'd love to see him doing the PGA tour coverage. I like Radar and Rich Beem and Rob Lee too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,711 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Boxall is very good, he needs to be on more.

The European tour feed was pretty decent for the Open, they had Tony Johnstone, Dominick Holyer, Richard Boxall, and Jay Townsend.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

I'm not really sure that you've explained how the Sky coverage is poor, apart from the ads. Can you be more specific and then people can have a chance to agree or disagree with your stance?

• Advertisement

Just think that when sky join forces with the European tour world feed that they could discuss about LIV golf more. It’s like there is some sort of unofficial ban on other golf topics outside of how great the European tour is.

I don’t like Dominick Holyer, the way that he has to say the full name of the tournaments, just to please his European tour bosses and superiors a bit OTT.

I also find many of skys commentators a bit old school and saying the same stuff over and over again. I think that there needs to be fresh blood on the commentary team, Tony Johnstone, Dougie Donnelly for example had their time and need to be jettisoned.

Look sky do have a good bit of golf and fair dues to them on that. But that’s not to say there could be improvements and like any organisation it’s always good to evolve.

Advertisement