Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The making changes for integration means policy decisions made by the various Government departments, and funded by public funding -

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/4c27f-minister-ogorman-invites-applications-to-the-communities-integration-fund-2022/

It isn’t dependent upon appeasing people who are vehemently opposed to integrating immigrants into Irish society in accordance with their standards.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

How dare the actual natives of a nation have standards.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

It's simple enough. Withhold citizenship under very tight requirements, emphasis residency, and a range of other mid-long term visas... and restrict benefits/rights dependent on those visa classes.

Make it desirable to be a citizen, and something that they have to work towards over time.

Which is the same in pretty much every country around the world. Only in Western nations is this expectation for foreigners to be treated the same as the native population, and gain the same benefits as them. Nobody bats an eyelid when you find out that natives have more benefits in Japan or Korea than the foreigner groups, even after they marry a native.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

What about the immigrants who refuse to integrate into any form of Irish society.

or do they not exist

The natives standards aren’t the point when discussing the integration of immigrants. Objective standards already exist for the integration of immigrants into Irish society. The natives are perfectly entitled to their own standards, they’re not entitled to dictate the standards for anyone else who doesn’t conform to their standards, because they don’t have that authority. In any case that’d be an attempt at assimilation, not integration.

They do exist, but what about them? There’s plenty of people don’t want anything to do with other people in Irish society already, and what about it? If people don’t want to integrate into Irish society that’s no reason why the Government shouldn’t provide opportunities for anyone who does want to integrate and participate in Irish society. I don’t think Government places any obligation on individuals to make any attempt to integrate immigrants into Irish society; there are however, laws prohibiting discrimination and so on against immigrants who are trying to integrate into Irish society. Plenty of those types of people exist too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The natives are perfectly entitled to their own standards, they’re not entitled to dictate the standards for anyone else who doesn’t conform to their standards, because they don’t have that authority.

That's where we would fundamentally diverge in opinion. Because "I" do, or should have that authority. If you want to be a guest in "my" house and on my coin and then ultimately become someone who lives in my house as an equal tenant, I reserve the right to set some broad standards and boundaries for that arrangement. It's "my" house and you are a guest and you should damn well remember that.

I would and have thought like this when I found myself a guest in someone else's house. Some cultures understand this bargain. East Asians for example, as they would expect the same considerations in their culture, and rightfully so. Others do not. Roma for example.

I will not let someone burn down my house and all that I have worked so bloody hard to build just because I open my door and hospitalty to someone. If you come with improvements cogently and mutually respectfully expressed and are willing to work together towards those improvements, then ok.

However, if you come to critique my house off the bat, because it's not like the (mostly) shítty house you come from and you want to whinge and try to turn it to the very place you ran from, or use my easy going, oft too easy going nature compared to the shítty places you hail from? Then, with the utmost consideration and as much courtesy as I can muster; please do fúck off and don't let the door hit your entitled arse on the way out.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Speaking of integration...I would love to wear a GoPro on my school run, up to the school gates to see parents. Absolutely no effort being made to make friends or be in any way friendly to the majority of people outside of their countries of origin. Don't want to speak any English or even giving the universal way of saying Hello...a smile...nope not a hope...I'm guessing 85% are like this.

I'm sorry but my hard earned taxes sponsor your very existence so the least you could do is smile back. While you're at it...teach your children some basic manners and decorum.

I'm not saying everyone is like this but too high of a majority are, so it's shocking!

That's where we would fundamentally diverge in opinion. Because "I" do, or should have that authority. If you want to be a guest in "my" house and on my coin and then ultimately become someone who lives in my house as an equal tenant, I reserve the right to set some broad standards and boundaries for that arrangement. It's "my" house and you are a guest and you should damn well remember that.

The unbridled arrogance would be shocking if it weren't so ludicrous.

"My" house indeed 😂

The unbridled naivete and stupidity doesn't shock me one bit.

And yes it is "My" house. A concept every single human culture in human history has recognised. If you want to buck that universal trend, just cos, reasons. Knock yourself out. As your "multicultural" credo has demonstrated in the real world, time and time again, reality and that credo make for uncomfortable bedfellows. Not least to those folks you feel you're allies of.

And yes it is "My" house.

Not even a little bit, amusing however your persistence may be

• Advertisement

The natives are perfectly entitled to their own standards, they’re not entitled to dictate the standards for anyone else who doesn’t conform to their standards, because they don’t have that authority.

Actually, I'd say this is exactly why multiculturalism has failed so badly in Western nations. That the natives don't have any right to set the requirements on foreign groups settling in their countries. The expectation that foreign groups should be able to retain their own cultural standards/values/expectations, even when they are polar opposites of the host nation. Any reasonable evaluation of such a case would raise the expectation of a clash of cultures over time, or worse yet, that the foreign cultures would seek to dominate as their populations increase, and so too, their influence over regional issues.

Because in reality that's what cultures do. I wonder whether the people who push multiculturalism so hard, ever spend the time to look at history around the world, where cultures are pushed together within confined spaces, or where a infusion of drastically different cultural population occurs. It's very rare that such an experience happens without violence, or a host of negatives occurring over the next few generations, ultimately leading to... violence.

And yet, it's going to be different for Western nations. Why? no reason. People tend to look at the last 4-5 decades as if they're counted as centuries. As if this experiment of many foreign cultures is something that has happened for a long time, with the consequences known to us all.. but that's not the case. As you know (the post is more for general reading than really directed at you), 50-60 years ago, Europe was predominately a White continent, and the major infusions of foreign culture is a relatively recent happening. Its so early in the overall scheme of things.. and yet, the negatives are already appearing across Europe.

This expectation that foreign cultures should be able to establish themselves in Western nations is one of the primary reasons that western culture itself is tearing itself apart. Why we've (westerners) become so weak internationally.. so divided. It's such a shame, because as someone who has lived abroad as a minority (white person), it is wonderful to be able to say you're from Europe. It opens so many doors that aren't available to those from Africa, Asia, or S.America. And.. yet.. I suspect the prosperity of western nations will be gone in a few decades because we've allowed so many divisions to become established.

Culture and assimilation should be something that we shouldn't need to worry about. People came to western nations because we were more prosperous, stable, safer, etc.. People wanted to embrace the western way of life. My own Chinese students have said as much. They wanted to be westerners.. and whenever they returned to China, it was because they were disappointed that western nations were not the way the (western) propaganda suggested it to be. Our sense of freedom wasn't as "pure" as in the movies or books. Our individuality was rather heavily pushed towards collectivism, or conformity.. especially over the last two decades. Our.. bla bla bla. We're simply not what we once were.. and there's no pride in being western anymore. Which is disappointing. So.. I guess that's why there's so little interest in assimilation of foreign cultures, or any real attempts at integration beyond the soundbites.. because we don't really know what western culture should be anymore. What it is that we want it to be. (apart from the utopian dreamers so out of touch with reality, that is)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,892 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Whatever the reason it was a government policy to create a muti cultural country like the US, UK , France Belgium etc al.

Big difference being those countries had pillaged the corresponding countries of their metals, minerals in in some cases their people ( slavery). We had no business trying to fit in with their policies

I’m trying to map the analogy of your authority in your own private domain onto the public domain, but it doesn’t work, and the only way I can make it work is if Irish society were a dictatorship under your authority, but that wouldn’t just impact immigrants, it would mean anyone, native or otherwise, who doesn’t conform to your standards would also face some form of discrimination or persecution, at worst being told to pack up their shìt and leave - perfectly fine in your own house where your own standards prevail, not so fine when it’s extrapolated out to wider Irish society and the public domain.

I'm sorry but my hard earned taxes sponsor your very existence so the least you could do is smile back. While you're at it...teach your children some basic manners and decorum.

Go visit the zoo and throw bananas at monkeys if you want them to do parlour tricks for you like that. I mean, I get where you’re coming from, but Jesus Christ - “My hard earned taxes sponsor your existence”, it’s not like it’s practically written all over your face, any wonder they’re not smiling at you for sponsoring their existence? I wouldn’t either, I’d want to put as much distance between us as possible!

Well you seem to think it's enough of "your" house so as to be so keen to the point of near religious ecstasy to give it away wholesale to any chancer, freeloader and gibbering idiot? Well if they're exotic enough for your apparent fetish. And I'm the arrogant one?

Remind us all again how well you've defended and explained this politic.

As I've long noted down the years, zeolots of any stripe are generally to be revealed by three litmus tests; a dearth of humour, a lack of self awareness and an irony bypass.

Well you seem to think it's enough of "your" house so as to be so keen to the point of near religious ecstasy to give it away wholesale to any chancer, freeloader and gibbering idiot?

No

Well if they're exotic enough for your apparent fetish. And I'm the arrogant one?

Yes

It's clear to me and has been for a long time that a multicultural society and migrants integrating into Irish society was never the end game here.

The country is slowly being destroyed by over population with resources and services which cannot cope. The majority of migrants we take in will never add to the proper running of a civilised country they are only here for their own gains and benefits.

Also another major issue is the massive money that is being made from putting these people into hotels and Direct provision centres. There is a bigger picture behind all this, it's human trafficking on a legal scale . Then we have the migrants representatives who a good few of them should never of been allowed stay in the country and are now seen as some kind of crusaders for the cause chastising the government and crying about racism and double standards whenever it suits ,end game here is to get better benefits in some cases or deflect from issues they don't want made public.

About time people looked through the media hype on migrants to really see what is going on.

For all those lamenting the apparent lack of integration, what does that look like to each of you?

Like what does a new arrival have to do to be considered as "integrated"?

Speak fluent Irish? Change to Catholic religion? What is your list of things that has to be completed for someone to be "integrated".

I'm asking because the term "integration" keeps getting bandied about which means about as much as "make America great again" or "Brexit means Brexit".

Funny how you used the two narratives of Irish speaking and the Catholic Church. And also added in trump's slogan with brexit.

Be a bit like me picking things like .

Certain groups not treating women and young girls like second class citizens and worse.

Certain cultures who think a gay person should be imprisoned or worse.

Certain groups who get offended by a crucifix in a school .

I could go on.

But no point just picking out the ones that suit my post

TBH I'm with DaCor on this one. What is integration, and how do we measure the success of it? I've asked this a few times on the thread, and haven't really gotten a decent answer. Honestly, it's the reason I tend to push assimilation as the answer to permanent settlement of foreign groups here, and temp visas for everyone else..., as integration just seems an empty phrase.

Although, unlike DaCor, I appreciate that the term integration came from the EU, and our politicians, when multiculturalism was being pushed so hard in the past. Alas, as usual, they left it a very vague destination or determination of what foreign groups do in Western nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Cordell

Like what does a new arrival have to do to be considered as "integrated"?

I would expect that after 1+ year in Ireland a person should:

• speak English fluently
    • not be on the dole
    • not wearing desert clothes anymore
    • be able to answer "any good craic" without thinking about drugs
    • know who won the All-Ireland finals that year
    • etc

Yes I know most are shallow things but you get the picture.

• Advertisement

The issue I had with da cors post was the way the language and church were connected to trump's ideology and brexit

Why not just ask the question without pushing a narrative.

Ahh well, linking Trump/Brexit is a way of attempting to discredit others... common enough on boards these days. Not terribly surprised at the posters who engage these kind of tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

To be fair, as far as defending your politic is concerned, this was poor.

They weren’t connected to Trumps ideology or Brexit though, what was connected to Trumps ideology and Brexit was the fact that “integration” without an explanation of what the person using it means by that, amounts to useless sloganeering.

FWIW btw, your criteria are pretty much aligned with a minority of Irish people who certainly are not representative of Irish culture and society, particularly the idea of being offended by ostentatious displays of religiosity in Irish schools.

You could go on, but you’re not listing criteria you regard as being intrinsic to Irish society and culture, rather you appear to be listing all the things you associate with other cultures, which, if some Irish people are to be believed, are endemic within Irish culture and society.

At least @Cordell gave a good stab at criteria which indicates an attempt to integrate into Irish society. I’d only be nit-picking were I to suggest that I don’t think abandoning desert clothes is necessary, it’s not nearly so jarring as the whole camel toe leggings and ugg boots look on women, or skinny jeans, Frankie says Relax sized tee-shirts and slim-fit suits that appear to be popular with a certain cohort of young Irish men 😖

To clarify, the Brexit /Trump reference was to illustrate terms that have been used a lot but mean both nothing to anyone but also everything to others i.e. Deliberately vague and non-specific.

Not sure why mentioning the Irish language or the dominant religion irked you.

What is integration, and how do we measure the success of it?

Exactly.

Speaking the language fluently after 1 year is not realistic. Even full immersion, language school and only communicating through English would still only see someone 75-85% proficient. Fluency takes years

Desert clothes 🤦‍♂️

All Ireland winners, couldn't tell you that myself

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Cordell

Even full immersion, language school and only communicating through English would still only see someone 75-85% proficient

@[Deleted User] I would expect them to be at 75% *before* coming here, but these are just my exaggerated standards, which of course also apply to myself.

I’d only be nit-picking were I to suggest that I don’t think abandoning desert clothes is necessary, it’s not nearly so jarring as the whole camel toe leggings

@One eyed Jack the point is that not only the desert clothes are ugly and stupid to be worn here, they are also a statement, and for women they are a way to oppress them. In any case, Europeans don't wear their culture and religion, and this is something a lot of non European immigrants don't want to accept and adopt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭AllForIt

It means respecting the culture of the country to which one emigrated to.

In the same way if Irish people were en mass to settle in Saudi Arabia they shouldn't expect to have their culture accepted to the point they should be permitted to open Irish style pubs.

Rather the Irish people should meld into Saudi Arabian culture. And if they don't want to do that, fck off back to Ireland.

the point is that not only the desert clothes are ugly and stupid to be worn here, they are also a statement, and for women they are a way to oppress them. In any case, Europeans don't wear their culture and religion, and this is something a lot of non European immigrants don't want to accept and adopt.

Yeah I hear that the odd time from a tiny number of feminists who seek to portray it that way, but I’m certain that’s not the intent, and certainly I don’t get that impression from any of the women I’ve spoken to that they are being oppressed. As for your idea that Europeans don’t wear their culture and religion, they most certainly do. A crucifix for example isn’t going to be as visible as the hijab, but just like I don’t object to my work colleague who wears the hijab, she doesn’t object to me wearing a crucifix.

If anything could be construed as oppressive, it’s the attempt to prohibit anyone from wearing or displaying symbols or clothing which are a fundamental part of their religious identity -

https://wap.business-standard.com/article-amp/international/eu-court-allows-employers-to-ban-headscarfs-religious-symbols-at-workplace-121071501341_1.html

I draw the line when some suggested we started saying happy holidays instead of happy Christmas.

Your fashion description of Irish culture made the read worth while. A bit 80s though I thought.

• Advertisement

I know Kate Bush was back in the charts recently and Top Gun is back in the cinema, but "Frankie says Relax" Tees? Have we fallen back into the 1980's? 😮😁

Advertisement