Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,574 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Cordell

I'm not attempting to prohibit anything, I'm just passing judgments :)

Saudi Arabia has a legal restriction on the consumption of alcohol so I'm not sure your analogy holds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Oh I know that much, that’s why I acknowledged that you gave a stab at least at offering your own ideas of what integrating into Irish society means by your own standards. Everyone can do that though, and they’re all going to have different standards by which they judge whether or not immigrants have successfully been integrated into Irish society.

It’s easy to pick examples of immigrants who have no interest in having anything to do with Irish people, but that doesn’t mean they haven’t integrated into Irish society, there are plenty of Irish people who don’t want to have anything to do with other Irish people too. It’s just not a good measurement of either the success or failure of integration, which is an ongoing process IMO, not something which can be measured in terms of success or failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭lmao10

The irony of an immigrant setting the standards is pretty funny.

I wouldn't know the all Ireland winners myself and never been to a GAA match and likely never will. I'm fairly good at Irish though. Not sure why you didn't include that as one of those stupid requirements? In my school there were a few second generation immigrant kids who also scored well at it. A girl whose parents came from Nigeria was best in the class in fact. Also, there are a few European countries where Islam is a high percentage religion. Bosnia, Albania and a few others. Not that I'm religious at all.

As an aside it was quite funny when some of the covid conspiracy idiots approached a TG4 reporter to blabber on about some tripe and she explained to them that it was an Irish channel and she could only put them on air if they had any Irish. The great nationalist white patriotic Celtic men of Ireland had to scarper away :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭AllForIt

The British media seem to have finally noticed the nonsense Ireland is up to with regards to asylum. Micheal Martin comes off like a genuine idiot blaming the British Rwanda policy for the shambles of an asylum process we have. Hope now the Brits are noticing what a soft touch we are that they exert some political pressure on our shower of idiots to make us actually enforce our borders and stop being such a soft touch

https://archive.ph/bsTnn

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭AllForIt

The good ole' days, when western counties didn't take the whole weight of the worlds dysfunctional countries on their shoulders.

To be perfectly blunt, I don't care what goes on in other countries.

I really mean that. I'm sick and tired of the media platforming the ills of foreign countries, as if it's all 'our' fault. Even if they said it's not our fault.

It's all emotional blackmail, and I'm sick of it.

I don't care. And I'm not going to be told I should care.

The news always reports horrible things going on in the world. This is psychological blackmail, the idea that if everyone isn't well off or content, or generally OK, you shouldn't be either.

Well I am, so eff off.

Btw, being a Kate Bush nut when I was an angst teenager (stole my sisters Kate Bush tapes much to my brothers surprise because they were listening to Pink Floyd), I welcome her return, if only momentarily.

Let's get back to who we are instead of who other people are.

Its complete emotional blackmail, we're supposed to have our heartstrings tugged on by someone who has booked a holiday that they may not be able to go on now because we've decided to change our rules and require people with refugee status in Europe to seek a Visa. I'm so sick of Ireland's kindness constantly being abused by people who want more and more and more, its never enough

• Registered Users Posts: 25,266 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The 2016 Census told us that 643,131 people had a disability in Ireland . That is approximately 13.5 % of the population. Yet look at Minister O’Gormans twitter, he’s also the minister for Disability, O’Gorman… you have to go back months for a cursory mention or reference to anything substantial on that side of his portfolio… April 28th and it’s pretty scant interest…and back to March and nothing…

‘Minister for Children, Equality, Disability, Integration, and Youth.’

plenty of espousing multiculturalism and meeting this person, that person. He might as well be the minister for multiculturalism, it’s a narrative that he is seriously active, pushing and perusing. ….. but people here whom he is tasked and paid to help, no interest…

imagine a portfolio, and on your Twitter account there is basically fûck all interest shown. You’d think he’d realise that the people here who elect him and pay his wages might appreciate and value him doing his job… for them / us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Is there anyone posting here who honestly thinks that the services which we have in this country at the moment ie Hospital capacity, GP services, Housing, School capacity etc etc.Are good enough to with stand a massive increase in our population. Also does anyone also think that the massive influx of migrants we have already taken is not the reason that our services are on the brink of collapse and in some cases collapsed already.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,574 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

The clown Mark Malone really hates anyone speaking up about migration as it's his grift here he goes after David Quinn in the Times. Malone is a nasty piece of work who shuts down all debate on the migration crisis.

I'm sorry if I spoke out of turn, I will try to be a better immigrant and keep my mouth shut. Or not :)

I'm fairly good at Irish though. Not sure why you didn't include that as one of those stupid requirements?

My list is not exhaustive (that means including or considering all elements or aspects; fully comprehensive)

At least those countries got some economic benefits from their pillaging. We got none of the benefits, in fact we were colonised ourselves, finally got our independence, only to live in poverty for decades, then we finally became a wealthy enough country and we don't have time to enjoy it before the importation of the third world who will bring all sorts of trouble and strife.

If I go to live in Saudi Arabia, do you think I and my family should be free to walk around in shorts and t-shirts? Do you think my wife has some type of obligation to cover up her hair or body? I would tend to think that we DO have such an obligation. But I'm curious to hear your logic on this.

Worse than that the practice or worshiping of any other religion is illegal.

Must be killing themselves watching us building mosques.

And during their religious festivals be very careful where and when you eat as you could be imprisoned.

The list goes on but why waste my time on some.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Miadhc

The lads down in Harry's in Kinnegad are out protesting now, apparently they are being sent up to sleep in tents in Gormanstown and replaced with Ukrainians, people that are actually fleeing war.

Hopefully they go easy on the protesters. Mind the women and children.

Oops forgot there is hardly any.

It's a funny one. because the people who tend to defend the idea of foreign cultures being established here, are also the ones who would say that western values/norms should be freely acted out in other countries, regardless of that country's own norms.

But then, those who defend such establishment of cultures only focus on their perceived positives, and never seem to consider the negatives or the points of conflict. If those negatives or conflict arise, in western nations it's the fault of western native groups, whereas abroad, it's the fault of the foreign culture for not embracing western values.

So, basically, if you're abroad, then western culture is awesome, but if you're in the west, then foreign culture is better. Amusing.

I mean I only go by what I read from people you are on the same side as. Not necessarily lads who post here but there was definitely some anti EE sentiment such as "they are ok, they are going back home!!". Yes I can find that post before people ask. Generally on twitter and the funny telegrams I have seen comments such as "If I went to Poland I wouldn't get...!!!", "There are too many Eastern Europeans taking up housing and facilities for the Irish!!!", "I can't get a GP appointment (oookay) or my kid in school (you are incel and have no kids) because of the Eastern Europeans!!!", "Look at the amount of Eastern Europeans in Irish prisons!!!!". So it's quite funny that an Eastern european comes along standing beside them and then sets the standards for other immigrants in Ireland. That was my point. Personally I love EEs. I've had several EE girlfriends and one of my best mates is Polish, a great addition to the country and long may it continue.

• Advertisement

I think the Poles have improved Ireland since they arrived years ago. We saw their work ethic, their sense of humour, their women etc and realised there was a bigger world out there. It definitely broadened my mind coming into contact with them. Unfortunately, they represent the pinnacle of immigration, and others have not been quite reaching that "gold standard" in my opinion. Still though, legal immigration is not a problem and never has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I still don't see why you think that the fact that I'm an immigrant should stop me from saying anything. Or affecting my arguments.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I have never seen this level of sheer concern among people about the migration situation before.

The problems in recent months appear to have really swung opinion just based on my own casual conversations with people who would never raise it before. People seem genuinely worried.

The government has to act soon I reckon. What that is I don't know.

An outright cap?

Worked with a few poles, slovakians and moldovans. Agreed very good workers and good addition to the country.

Suppose if I mention the migrants I have seen who have no interest in working or even wanting to be a part of society I would be classed as racist.

See it not as clear cut as all migrants are a drain on the country. But it is clear the ones that are should be shown the door.

The racist card is a great meal ticket for a big majority. Only my opinion of course.

Great addition. Especially when we have enough of our own.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,992 ✭✭✭conorhal

The end game in my opinion is to eliminate all social solidarity and reduce everybody to little more than a PPS number and algorythmically approved consumer habits. The commies used tohave a saying 'five fingers makes a fist!' and you know what, they were right. If our neo-liberal corporatist overlords can manage to break your fingers and scatter those metatarsals across the graveyard of what was once a functional cohesive society, just think how easy it will be to rule the serfs like the fuedal lords of old.

I agree totally. I noticed you have a Polish name in your username also. 1 in 4 of them was on the dole as of 10 years ago, according to official stats. Not sure about since then. A stat I saw when an anti EE "patriot" made it. There does seem to be a split between people on the right in Ireland who consider EEs to be taking up housing and facilities and they also point to the dole stats and prison stats etc and want them out. There are others who seem not to mind them. I have seen EE migrants pointing the finger at other migrants as a way to ingratiate themselves with those types on the right and hope that they stay under the radar perhaps. The fact is many of the same (bad) arguments about Ireland not having housing/facilites, the dole stats, crime stats etc can all be used on EEs also, who are here in large numbers (and long may that continue btw!).

Also the amount some of these NGOs are getting is unbelievable.

God knows who else is profiting.

As I said it's a form of human trafficking but supposedly all legal.

• Advertisement

I'm also all for the one strike rule for immigrants. European and any other.

Commit a minor offence and you get a free flight home. Never to be allowed in again.

Commit a serious offence serve your time then free ride home or better still serve your time in your country of nationality

Biggest hurdle here would be our side making sure they don't get back in.

Advertisement