Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bray Air Display 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭EI321

Have to say I don't think I'd bother going to this again, the lack of comunication from organisers was the most annoying thing for me, they put nothing up on the air shows twitter or website all day about cancellations, I could have at least gone home early if I knew the few planes I went to see were unlikely to be able to display instead of waiting around naively and wasting the whole day standing in queues etc. I understand that some things are unavoidable at the moment like difficulty staffing hospitality and the fact that a free event will sometimes attract a rough element that has little or no interest in planes but a simple tweet explaining the situation wouldn't have cost anything. We were at the North end of the beach and couldn't hear any announcements, dunno why they couldn't but an extra loudspeaker up there.

Someone on the festival organising committee must have sway in RTE because the whole thing was a resounding shitshow.

IR have made a right mess of servicing this event. Absolutely LETHAL conditions on the service down today. 2 hr queue to get onto a train afterwards.

Never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I remember going to Bray Airshow the year the Airbus 340 flew over and the special livery Air Lingus plane as well as I think a 747 and an Airbus A380 as well as a Spitfire and other planes some jet too and I too can say that the Dart was packed and roasting so nothing has changed then. I have not gone since.

The speakers did work do

Well I guess the organisers just put about at least half of the attendees to this weekends show off from ever going again.

Maybe when there is not many crowds at next years show if there is one they might learn something.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

There is very little to genuinely put blame on IR. It was always going to be busy, so is always going to take time to move people out afterwards. I made the choice to hang around in Bray with my son afterwards for that very reason.

And the issue with people disembarking, is becuase those on the first train that did it, just wouldn't wait for a few minutes for a section ahead to clear. It messed everything up for everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭EI321

I was wondering while I was on a sweltering hot train today, is there some technical reason why the trains air con seems to switch off for inordinate periods despite it being so overheated? Surely a sensor would keep it on and within a certain temp, or did the driver just not switch it on. It felt like there was a low level of oxygen after being on it for over an hour. I know the IR commuter trains are about 20 years old but surely the air con should be on permanently since the windows don't open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭AngeloArgue

It was a bit of pity with the weather. Really wanted to see the Battle of Britain memorial flight and the viggen (which I seen before). I was really impressed with the silver swallows, for a new team they did great. I feel they really need to condense the show if they are to continue, cut out the one guy in a propeller plane and the state helicopter stuff.

As for the crowd. I was minded of that H.G. Wells novel "The Time Machine". The naive Eloi peacefully enjoying themselves, and the ugly violent rough morlocks out to fill their debased and gluttoness desires.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Best thing about the show

Royal Jordanian Falcons

Bad things

No running order

A lot of confusion over the start time, then it still didn't start on time

Barely could see anything apart from helicopters

Couldn't hear the PA or engines thanks to the free disco/s from the amusements

Little or no toilets and bins

Tell people to tag us in your pictures etc then no data connection (few WiFi towers for the day needed)

Absolute farce with public transport, once the red arrows couldn't show that was the start..525 or so eventually walked to the station, went off, came back 625 and still as bad, got food and eventually got onto a dart after 7

One way systems with barriers and signs needed, not free for all with people and buggies and bikes

One Irish rail worker said he can't see it next year and I hope he's right

The train stopping and people walking on the lines

A girl I know and her sister and kids was on this train

Overcrowded, warm day no AC etc, pushing started

A Connor McGregor wanna be starts mouthing off, then things settled down until they didn't. Shout's to one of his mates about getting his hammer and then forces open the door and then made his way to the driver to abuse him and try to kick his door in

She stayed in her carriage until she had to get off and walk like you see

Got talking to Irish rail worker, about 20 to 30 of them from Cabra and it happen around the golf course

• Registered Users Posts: 15 tzn

I absolutely agree with everyone commented here. Please allow me to write (rant from my armchair) here how I have seen it, some of my views are similar with others, some may disagree.

Thank god we took the bus instead to Bray, but waiting 2 hours for a bus to get home that was just insane (read that before here the Dart was not too much better either), never experienced this anywhere else even at bigger festivals and shows. Buses should have been coming and leaving continuously. Seriously on the way back to Dublin after leaving Bray I have seen a Dublin Bus depot with full of buses, obviously not going anywhere. Not to mention all those scumbags cutting the queues... fck off you privileged m0ron... And the cutie who is on the phone wandering down the queue like she has no idea (classic cutting the line trick) and suddenly she is on the bus and you are still waiting there for an other hour. And all the people cutting in and waving to their family to follow... seriously people... And Garda is there at the buses handling the queue and asking people if they go to Greystones etc. what is going on guys, the queue were full of people smoking weed... Oh well, the bus was at least free!

I do photography so I was often scanning around with my camera and I could see the signs of boredom everywhere. Most people were just chatting, playing, swimming, kids are running all over the place like they don't really care about anything. Huge amount of strollers blocking the way out at the rail tracks and moms chitchatting about siht and not moving. I would say the actual amount of people who were interested about the planes were like 20-30% of those attended, maybe less, the 70-80% went to a funfair.

Also not too much information about anything coming as we were at the left side, it was extremely hard to hear the loud speakers, sometimes could not even hear anything. Of course this was my problem as why I was there on the side and not in the middle, right?

For me most of the planes were too far. If the CASA (btw it was not even on the lineup, where they summoned that from?) could come closer why the others went out that much? Even some of the planes I believe which have better maneuvering capabilities went out far away. I have a 600mm+ telephoto lens but even with that sometimes it was hard to get a photo :) And where was the A320? Was that also scheduled for the end? Not that I would not see those around Dublin Airport but that is boring. I wanted to take some good photos when it is next to Bray Head :)

And finally the cancellation. We cannot tell what really was in the mind of the organizers to not to reschedule the main attraction before the weather turns bad. Unfortunately this is what happened and we cannot really do too much about it, they may be messed up, did not manage the project well, who knows. Everyone wanted to see the reds etc but hey, weather is weather, mistake is mistake and we are the ones who are complaining here about everything from our armchairs :)

Next time I would rather pay just have an organized public transport and without all those idiots around, but as others have already mentioned it would be really hard to justify going next time. Maybe we will all be there next time and they surprise us, who knows!

And finally videos are popping up on Tiktok too about the "events" if anyone is interested:

tiktok.com/@xposties/video/7123965980258209029

tiktok.com/@hayleydoyle825/video/7123959868662320389

tiktok.com/@jtaobr/video/7123983192314350854

I did not go to the Airshow. Well Done to Dublin Bus though - what I would have used. No Doubt took some of the DART passengers back home too. I could also have got Go Ahead buses all the way, but there were cancelled 75's yesterday that did not inspire confidence.

• Advertisement

The queue for the bus was no better than the dart

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Not sure why reds were not relocated to Dublin AP before the show, or stationed in Dublin AP in the first place, given forecast yesterday afternoon was for showers, and, apparently a wet runway at Baldonnel is not long enough for them to take off? Or, given forecast, rescheduled earlier (when runway was dry!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

It shouldn't be called an airshow as it is not.

This is the flying display last airshow I saw in Belgium when I lived there a few years back. Zero queues or hassle. I did have to pay 30 euro which would put off 90% of the bray crowd.

9:56 3 Landing C-130

10:00 10 T-17 Solo

10:11 10 Beech 18 & Harvard

10:22 6 Sonaca 200

10:29 2 LDG ERJ145

10:32 12 F-16 ZEUS

10:45 15 The Victors

11:01 3 A400M Landing

11:05 2 Advanced T/O Red Bull Glider X

11:08 10 Extra 330 The Flying Nurse

11:19 7 Red Bull Glider X

11:27 12 F-18 SUI

11:40 3 T/O ERJ145 Fam Ride

11:44 10 T-17 Team RDAF

11:55 0 Advanced T/O Starduster Trescal

11:56 10 Seaking

12:07 6 Starduster Trescal

12:14 3 LDG ERJ145 Fam Ride

12:18 11 Gripen CZE

12:30 29 Break

13:00 10 RAF Falcons

13:11 20 ThunderTigers & KDC-10

13:32 1 T/O Seaking Fam Ride

13:34 18 Team Raven

13:53 1 LDG Seaking Fam Ride

13:55 10 Extra 330

14:06 12 F-16 RDAF

14:19 12 A-109

14:32 2 Advanced T/O Fouga & Red Devils

14:35 17 F-18 ESP

14:53 2 T/O ERJ145 Fam Ride

14:56 12 Fouga + pass Red Devils

15:09 18 Red Devils

15:28 2 LDG ERJ145 Fam Ride

15:31 8 KC-135

15:40 1 T/O VIP Ride A-109

15:42 11 Rafale

15:54 14 NH-90

16:09 1 LDG VIP Ride A-109

16:11 16 Su-27

16:28 0 T/O VIP Ride A-109

16:29 19 Royal Jordanian Falcons

16:49 12 Typhoon

17:02 1 LDG VIP Ride A-109

17:04 12 Spitfire + Heritage pass F-16

17:17 11 F-16 BEL

17:29 23 Breitling Jet Team

17:53 10 END SHOW

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

This was an Air Show everything free no hassle getting in or out

As you will see from the articles Salthill was always targeted by Anti War groups over the 17 years it ran for.

I never heard before a wet runway stopping aircraft taking off could they not have gone off one by one then reform and display, why there was no communication about what was going on was terrible, no word on the show line up no word on what was cancelled everyone expected to sit there with your fingers crossed.

The no shows I am aware of

Red Arrows, Lancaster, Spitfire, Hurricane, Viggan, Aer Lingus A320 there may have been more and as for trying to see them they may as well have been in Wales displaying.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭WealthyB

The one thing about the queue for the busses was at least it was semi orderly, albeit 2-2.5 hours long.. however nobody from official Ireland did anything about the scrotes skipping the queue. Loads of guards standing about chatting with Dublin Bus types doing next to nothing. Tons of busses just parked up doing nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

According to the announcement made by Red Leader on the tannoy, and on their Twitter feed, it was a combination of an extremely wet runway and the length of it.

The problem is that on such a short runway in the wet is that if they had to abort takeoff for whatever reason there was a very real chance they could overshoot the end of the runway.

They had actually taxi'd out to commence take off shortly before 5 when the shower hit and returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Went down to this as I was out in Bray visiting my folks, christ it was bad. I didn't realise how bad until I wandered up from the harbour wall where we were sitting to get some burgers.

I queued for 15 minutes at one of two burger stands and after barely moving at all and witnessing lots of queue skipping ahead of me, decided to cut my losses and wandered up to the chipper at the train station instead.

Got up to the level crossing and then witnessed the madness with the trains. Loads of people streaming along the tracks, emergency services all over the place.

After getting some chips, I wandered back down to the harbour wall to where my folks were sitting, what was a few dodgy folks behind them had turned into a mob. All drinking and shouting at the top of their voices to talk to each other. Had to pack up and move somewhere else.

And that's all before the cancellation of the actual aircraft we were there to see. Luckily I'd driven out so we were able to hang on for a bit in Bray before leaving to miss the exiting crowds. Felt incredibly sorry for anyone relying on public transport.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I was all up for this during the week then the weather forecast and the thought of huge crowds along with a por lineup i decided to stay home and watch the All Ireland and TDF instead :)

I feel sorry for the genuine aircraft enthusiasts whos day was ruined.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

That train was held up by people jumping from mine further up. We were right next to Bray Harbour.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Went to Corkaigh park on Saturday, got a great view of the Vampire going overhead and lining up with the runway at Baldonnel, the kids loved hearing the noise out of the whine of the engine as it banked over us.

A few hours later we drove to the Square and walked over the park across the N81 to a hill and sat and watched the Red Arrows roar over us three times as they did several fly-bys of Baldonnel, had the place to ourselves.

I learned years ago that you only go to the Bray display by boat, never by road. Otherwise west Dublin on the previous day is the place to be.

Post edited by Tabnabs on

• Advertisement

Well I'm just saying what happened with the one she was on

Nothing world surprise me after the various stories here, Reddit and social media

Not only the air display came out of this looking bad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I was listening in to Bray Air Control throughout the show, in fairness, they were constantly advising craft holding at Killiney and west of the display line that they were juggling the schedule to accommodate The Arrows. Rescue 116 was holding at Killiney for about 20 mins and was then told to cut the display short ... when it arrived in it was told that things had changed and it could do a full planned display ... then it was told to carry on for a bit longer. At one point it was told that the reds would go first and rescue 116 would then close the show - juggling all options, in real time. The AW139 and EC135 helicopters were holding at the same time and were also being told to change their schedule, before and as they were displaying. There were obviously discussions going on in the background and decisions being made accordingly.

It seemed to be an impossible task.... control were advising other craft that the reds had to display by 17:05 at the latest, and they were trying to accommodate changing weather conditions until they were airborne. None of the armchair experts here were responsible for the safe running of the display and they were not in direct contact with the various display craft that were working through the rapidly changing and at times, borderline safe weather conditions.

As for the traffic/train/crowd issues ..... that's down to people being people and too many expecting to waltz in at their own convenience. The day requires planning and patience by anyone who attends. The default option is public transport, but when people just jump off trains... then all bets are off. I saw comments on social media on Sunday morning where people were complaining that the pre-booked car parks were full and asking what they should do? The pre-booking system was an attempt to control traffic access in advance, if you leave it until Sunday morning to start your preparations, then you are going to be disappointed. People complaining about large slow queues at burger stands with tens of thousands in attendance? .... bring a packed lunch and be self catered for the day. An event of this size is never going to be a 'just rock up whenever and stroll around in comfort', experience. The same with getting home... tens of thousands expecting to leave bray on trains or buses within 15 mins of the event ending..... is never going to happen.

The final display line up was disappointing, but with the weather conditions throughout the day, it was obvious there were going to be last minute cancellations and unfortunately the biggest risk was to the most popular displays. - you can only hold out and hope for so lon,g and I think the organisers are being hammered for trying to carry on until the last possible minute - damned if you do and damned if you don't. Fair play to the Air Corps, they don't have much, but they got everything they had out to Bray. In the end, it was the leader of the reds that called it off, not the display organisers. I am sure that discussions were ongoing about possible options, right up until it was finally abandoned.

If much of the crowd does not return again next year .... it might be a good thing. I would hate to be involved in planning an event in this country, people are guaranteed to always let you down and you are expected to be responsible for whatever trouble they decide to inflict upon you, at their own discretion.

Master of the Universe

Everyone listen to Ger Roe now, he was listening to Bray Air Control so clearly knows better than the rest of us who were there in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Yeah there were lots of scrotes aswell down for the almost free day out. Fat howya auld ones swigging out of bottles loaded with alcohol pushing prams and roaring all sorts of obscenities and abuse at people minding their own business.

We've really got a very undesirable subset of entitled people who tend not to stick to societal etiquette. I.E respect for themselves and others around them.

Doesn't take away from the point that the trains were dangerously warm and overcrowded with no air flow. I had to buy a new shirt in Bray I was drenched from head to toe and and I would consider myself fit.

Master of the Universe

The whole thing needs far more stewards and a large Garda presence. The only Gardaí I remember seeing were the Garda Air Support Unit in the actual display itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Rock Solid

As an Aviation enthuast I went to Baldonnel on Friday afternoon to see the Hurricane and Lancaster to arrive, there's a few areas to view around Baldonnel Business Park and Greenouge Areodrome Business Park. I also went on Saturday and seen Royal Joardain team full display, Vampire display, all the Air Corps Displays, flying boat, and Arrival of Red Arrows, all at close range. The Viggen never arrived inside source the Pilot in Sweden was I'll. The Hurricane returned to the UK Friday evening. It was well known by plane spotters and organisers that certain aircraft wouldn't fly yet the Bray website was never updated ! The Reds were ready to go any time from 2pm ! It's the Display Director that was to blame as there was plenty of slots when they had no aircraft and the reds could have displayed ! Yes there was a massive downpour around 4.30pm at Baldonnel but it cleared up after 10 mins or so. The runway had pools of rain, but I wouldn't have taught it would have been a problem for the Red Arrows Hawk aircraft. These RAF pilots are the Top Gun of the RAF and used to all weather conditions. The runway at Baldonnel is long enough to take A C130 or C17. Baldonnel doesn't have great ground facilities or Radar etc, hence the lack of funds given to the Defence Forces. Regarding the Reds I think the weather delayed there slot in the show and there time to return to the UK which is all planned. The wind at Bray was an issue for some aircraft. Airshows at sea are always a problem due to wind, it's better to have a show at an Airfield.

I really dont understand how people can defend whoever put this mess on (I wont touch on 6 hours to get from Bray to Blanch as told use public transport)

3 Portaloos (from what i seen) and 2 public toilets beside ice cream place

NO extra bins (even the small bins where taken off the fences), there was one fella on his own around us with a bag and thongs to pick up rubbish

No running order (could have laminated a put a few around the place) and confusion over start time (which was too late in the first place)

Tell people to stay hydrated then its at the mercy of stalls etc and the queues, why not have a fridge cart thing with bottles of water (again cover costs/money to charity) walking up and down

I seen two people who even paid for the flight deck thing leaving early

If they cant run it properly or deal with numbers, move it away from a public place, charge a nomial fee for parking/admittance with a good lot going to charites/covering costs,even do a VIP deal

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Well his post was certainly more considered and nuanced than your own. I was there from 11-6pm and would concur with his post.

I did see a lot of aircraft holding for no apparent reason. We were seeing them loitering to the east and west. (using the ADS-B app) But that makes more sense if you realise they were juggling the lineup as they went. (not an ideal situation for anyone involved)

I would be in agreement with everything he said about persona forward planning. I was there early. And had a backpack with supplies. I didn't join any queue except that for the Dart at 6pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Lancaster just underway

Advertisement