Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to be honest

Options
  • 25-07-2022 7:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,625 ✭✭✭✭downcow

I have been involved in a few threads on here where unionist and nationalist get sucked into trying to make the other appear more nasty, more sectarian than their own side - seems this somehow gives satisfaction. )and I am not completely innocent)

I am from a unionist community and I write this today on the 25th anniversary of the sectarian murder of a lovely young man and a catholic neighbour.

one of the biggest challenges to create real peace and respect in ni is to stop attempting to romanticise and rewrite what was a horrible conflict, so painful for many. The vast vast vast majority of killings were absolutely wrong (indeed I can’t think of a single one that was right). Will there ever be a time when communities do not have to look on while others including marching bands, senior politicians, sporting bodies, etc celebrate individuals who murdered their neighbours. It’s obscene and dishonest.

will we ever stop doing this to each other on this island? Who should lead the way in stopping these celebrations? Let’s not get deflected by arguing about single identity events like the 12th or the Belfast festival, where we will inevitably end up massively misunderstanding each other’s events. My interest is in the remembering of individuals, who killed their neighbours, as some kind of heros

here is a wee piece on my neighbour and such a lovely family (sorry won’t let me post but here is a Twitter thread which tells the horrific story)

https://twitter.com/sefflisnaskea/status/1551288163309699074?s=21

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

I don't think dragging up awful scenarios from the Troubles and waving them around is going to get anyone anywhere. War is an ugly thing, the Troubles were no different.

But constantly trying to bring up divides, especially sectarian ones running for hundreds of years... is not going to work, for anyone.

Ireland needs to look ahead, that is where its' future is, it can never change its' past. Fingers crossed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well if you are going to be honest…. Then start by admitting that you have no desire or commitment to moving forward. I can’t recall a single thread where you try to find common ground, it’s always about digging up the past, highlighting differences, justify it etc… so rather a pointless exercise really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

I doubt you will achieve your goal.

We should never forget the past, the problem I see at the moment is some people are trying to change history.

With the way some communities are been singled out for blame and prosecution we are just heading straight back into another “troubles”

The most worrying part is “oh we will have a United ireland once we get a Catholic majority”, absolutely crazy to think Ireland should be United not been based on the best for both sides and just based on hate of the other community. Right back to the 1970’s

We need to learn from the past and make sure we don’t make the same mistakes in the future.

One man's terrorist is another man's hero. It's still a true saying, and we acknowledged this by the GFA. As part of the same community as you when these things happened, I know how hard it is to view them being remembered, but what's the alternative ? More years of strife and hate and killing, that's what. So for me it's a small price to pay so my kids can live in a place where people aren't shot on an almost daily basis. Live and let live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

The people of NI would get along just fine if they just got out of their own ways. My wife is from Belfast so I have spent a lot of time up there over the last 25 years. What always amazed me was how well the two communities got along in the right circumstances.

For example, for years there was a car boot sale every Sunday morning, has sadly ceased to exist. This car boot sale was massive and full of people from all communities in Belfast and strangely the atmosphere was great, people having the craic buying and selling, haggling etc. This is just one example of many I've witnessed. A lot of working environments are the same, both communities work together and get on great, they realise that they have so much in common.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,524 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I'm going to be honest here OP. Your threads invariably create problems. You often get threadbanned from them. I'm going to save you any of that this time

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement