Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Because ideally we are going for the three weekends following the Scotland game as well. 5 tough games in 5 weeks is a lot more than normal.

If you simply look at the Scotland and South Africa game then the week isn't important. If you look at the overall picture then that week becomes very important.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Shehal

If we get through the pool we will have at most 4 games in 4 weeks as we have a week break between SA & Scotland.

At the end of the day all other 7 Quarter Finalists will have to play at least 3 tough games in 3 weeks if they want to lift the trophy so in the end its not really an issue unique to Ireland. England & SA who contested the final last time played their toughest games using 25 players or so so it can be done we just need to manage our squad. We just won a 3 match series in NZL using more or less that number and judging by how error strewn we were in the first test and Maori game maybe having 2 or 3 games where the players can get a run out together in the pool stage isnt a bad thing. There is no better preparation than a 3 match series in NZL so maybe that will stand us in good stead.

This time unlike the previous RWC's the atmosphere in the Irish camp is a-lot more uplifting and alot less stressful which might be what we need to get ourselves mentally up for a QF.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

This time unlike the previous RWCs the atmosphere in the Irish camp is a-lot more uplifting and a lot less stressful

We're 15 months away from the RWC.

15 months prior to the last World Cup, we were Grand Slam Champions, the European champions were an Irish team and we had just won a series in Australia, and we were a few months away from beating NZ for the second time in history.

15 months prior to the previous RWC, we were Six Nations champions, had just won a 2-0 tour in Argentina, a few months later we would beat South Africa and Australia and of course we would go on to win the next 6N too.

Mad how these things get completely re-written.

If we get through the pool we will have at most 4 games in 4 weeks as we have a week break between SA & Scotland

Yes, which is why the week off before that run is important. You'd expect the SA game to be an attritional game also so an extra week recovery to prepare for Scotland is only a good thing.

Except you completely ignored my point, the results on the field merely papered over cracks that weren't present until things went wrong, we saw this at the 2015 RWC and all the way through 2019. The players were more robotic and the camp was less enjoyable but that wasn't a problem when Ireland were winning but as soon as things went South the cracks appeared.

Also its must be said the results are somewhat irrelevant here its the way Ireland are carrying out themselves now compared to the 2 previous RWC's that shows how this is a different regime, compare the way Ireland played against NZL in 2022 with what Ireland in 2018 and 2014 did on tour? Ireland had a look of a team that didnt just want to beat NZL but dominate them whereas Ireland in 2018 & 2014had a look of a team that wanted to do just enough.

Also the big issue in 2014 and 2018 was they never evolved and continued to try do the same thing in 2018 & 2014 a year later when teams had figured it out, we have to wait and see will this Irish team will make the same mistakes but the fact the players are already acknowledging all this, something they werent doing the previous 2 campaigns, is reason enough to give them the benefit of the doubt for now at least.

In reality is we wont know who was right or wrong until 2023 as there will be twists and turns between then and now and questions will be thrown at Ireland and we'll have to see if they have the right answers.

• Advertisement

It is very important and also while Scotland will be tough it wont be the most attritional game ever meaning we hopefully arent going into a QF, provided results go well, completely spent. It wont be easy squad management wise but I would expect a squad with Ireland's experience and ability to be able to cope provided the right selections are made in each game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Looking at the schedule now for the RWC, I had no idea we'd a 2 week gap between Scotland and SA. That's a huge benefit you'd have to think. Going to try to get over to either it or Scotland, both kicking off at 9pm local time!!

Correct me if I'm wrong but it's only a couple of weeks since you were viciously critical of this team and the coaches, and I'm pretty sure your refrain then was also "let's see who's right in 2023".

So genuine question, what has made you change your mind so dramatically, and if it's the level of performance in the second and third tests, how do you know those games aren't just papering over the cracks too?

Whats your actual point? The first post i responded to seemed to suggest that you thought the week wasn't important. Now you're saying its very important.

Maybe i misunderstood the first post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Ireland has Tonga in their group as well don't they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Yes. We play Romania, Tonga, SA and Scotland in that order. Tonga are going to have a good squad given the change in international eligibility rules.

It will be very interesting to see what Tonga can do with Folau, Piutau, Fifita and Fekitoa. I wouldn't be worried about a loss but equally would be nervous about putting out a shadow XV against them.

I was critical of the safe selection of players who were at best anonymous versus NZL in the first test, one of the big reasons for a change in tone was how these players responded comparatively to how the responded over the previous regime, it feels as if these players are tougher mentality than the players they replaced.

Because the level of response was unlike any other in previous regimes, previously we would have probably fought back and showed improvement but ultimately lose by a score whereas we went to Dunedin and Wellington and put NZL away in a clinical and professional manner. Compare it to the way Ireland lost to England in 2019, we fixed none of the problems, just made excuses and then lost to Wales,England,Japan & NZL in the same year in an almost identical fashion. The fact we fixed the issue so quickly against the same opposition only a week afterwards makes me hopeful this team has adaptability that maybe I underestimated afew weeks ago. But ofcourse noone can predict what might happen in the next few months so and maybe if something goes wrong the cracks being papered over in 2019 might still be there and the only way to find out is if a team finds and exposes them.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

We can't ignore that this NZ team is way below the level of the teams that eviscerated us on previous trips south.

It comes down to what the context are discussing? In context of the SA game or context of the entire tournament, playing a game as attritional as SA and having a week rest is very important but in context of the entire tournament a team like Ireland should be able to manage 4 weeks of rugby as we go through periods like this all the time in the Autumn, Summer and 6N campaign, albeit at this stage we have a small group of players as we are limited to 33 players but I still think that's enough as for instance England & SA in the last RWC got to a final using more or less 26 players over 4 weeks, if you manage you're squad well you should have no problem getting through 4 weeks with 33 players.

So your complete about-face is indeed based on two games.

No offence to you, but there are few things that annoy me more than fans who sh*t all over the team when they're losing and elbow their granny out of the way to get on the bandwagon when they're winning.

I shat myself about certain aspects of the team, such as sticking with the same players that underperformed in test 1, because I felt it was conservative and one of my biggest bug bearers of a team is a team that plays it safe and that has been an Irish problem for so long in my opinion. The reason I am so positive was the players vindicated the coach and managed the fix the problems in a way I never expected them to based on previous regimes, maybe because my expectations were so low about them fixing the problems that I'm giving them too much credit and maybe ill be brought right back down to earth in the Autumn but for now at least I see no real reason to be negative bar possibly being too wasteful in test 2 when we had the man advantage, would love us to be more ruthless in these situations.

I dislike these people too, I dont mind criticism as long as there is some construction to it but if its just essentially moaning that's an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Ireland had 20 bad mins in the first test. That was it and it turned out 20 bad minutes nearly across the entire series. We had players like Beirne who had come back from nearly 6 months out and of course lost our captain.

If you listen to Eddie Jones been a man up is a disadvantage and they failed to win two games v 14. So need to put been a man up into perspective.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Completely agree. And even with the "when they're losing" part of your point, it's not like we were on some massive losing streak either:

• We were off the back of probably our best ever set of performances and results in the AI's.
    • We were, at a minimum, par during the 6 Nations, where our only defeat was away to a very good French team.
    • And we were beaten in NZ, in a ground where they haven't lost a game since before the game went pro.

They had done plenty to suggest they deserved the benefit of the doubt, particularly with our attack. Instead, somehow Shehal seemed to think that justified "loser mentality" rhetoric.

That is completely true, I agree with that but the positive is previous Irish teams and many current teams would have broken because of that and fallen away but Ireland didnt which I found the most impressive part of the tour.

It definitely isn't an advantage, maybe man for man it is but mentally it changes the game completely. Arguably Ireland's 2 worst performances during the 6N were the two that a red card was given to the opposition and ironically the 20 minutes NZL had the mess with a yellow was Ireland's worst period of the 160 minutes of the two wins.

• Advertisement

And arguably in the France loss it was a similar issue to the NZL first test where we were completely off our game for a 15-20 minute period which ultimately decided the game, in the end the points France scored in that period was greater than the difference on the final scoreboard. One area where we do need to fix is that 20 minutes before half time as that is a far greater issue than the second half of games for us, infect the 3rd test was the first time in 16 tests that we lost the 2nd half so clearly that isnt where our issues lie.

They did do plenty, during the 6N Ireland did show the potential they have but for the most part the performances were a little bit messy at times which is normal when you are in transition, obviously we had great moments during the 6N but it felt we would fall in and out during matches between good and bad.

The "loser mentality" rhetoric if im being completely honest was 80% down to the media more than Ireland itself, it felt after the first NZL test were going down the small team route that we had always done in the past and that had me concerned. What got me excited was the response from Ireland, it showed the mentality strength of a mentally very strong team that could actually go far in a tournament.

I can't remember if this was pointed out by a friend or on a podcast etc

Anyway they said the only game NZ beat Ireland was the one which had Joe Schmidt in coaching them all week. Everyone forgot when Foster etc came onto the pitch but the training etc was run by Joe.

With Joe back in the mix I expect NZ to go back to the force, or close to force they used to be

Oh I am not putting down the Irish team at all, I love Joe Schmidt and to be honest watching the NZ match's back a couple of months of Joe would be exactly what they need.

I am not trying to downgrade the Irish win either. If you look at Fosters results he has a higher win ratio than Rassie and Nienaber with South Africa. Yet everyone wants him fired and I don't hear a whisper about Nienaber with SA. So it is not like Foster is a bad coach either. We all know Plumtree etc done excellent with Ireland so theya are good coachs as well.

I am massively proud that Ireland won the series but looking at the WC I think most people would grab NZ now, just saying we meed to me mindful that at that stage Joe will have them for 18 months or so, totally different prospect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Best uncapped side at the moment?

1. Jeremy Loughman
    2. John Andrew
    3. Thomas Clarkson
    4. Joe McCarthy
    5. Gavin Thornbury
    6. Josh Murphy
    7. Scott Penny
    8. Cian Prendergast
    9. Nathan Doak
    10. Ben Healy
    11. Jimmy O'Brien
    12. Ciarán Frawley
    13. Jamie Osborne
    14. Tommy O'Brien
    15. Stewart Moore
    16. Diarmuid Barron
    17. Andrew Warwick
    18. Vakhtang Abdaladze
    19. Ross Molony
    20. Marcus Rea
    21. Cormac Foley
    22. Jack Crowley
    23. Ethan McIlroy

I can see John McKee moving up the pecking order quite rapidly.

You'd have to think McIlroy's lack of pace will hold him back.

One really positive thing coming out of the series was how well the IRFU XV started all three Tests. Being down after the first quarter in RWC quarter finals has been a huge issue, so this ability to start fast in big pressure games bodes very well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

And arguably in the France loss it was a similar issue to the NZL first test where we were completely off our game for a 15-20 minute period which ultimately decided the game, in the end the points France scored in that period was greater than the difference on the final scoreboard. One area where we do need to fix is that 20 minutes before half time

This just isn't true, tho. It was 13-7 after 17 minutes. It remained this way until France then got a penalty in the 36th minute and in the 40th minute. 6 points, that's it. That's hardly similar to what happened in the first test in NZ, and hardly game defining.

In any case, good teams will have purple patches; you're rarely going to be completely dominant for the full 80.

Aside from the "loser mentality", what about the "pure basics and fixable issues that we are getting completely wrong at the moment"?

It was all way overboard, imo.

Maloney is a great servant to Leinster but he isn't the answer at international level. I would have Ahearn ahead of him

I don't disagree. I would definitely prefer to see Ahern in Irish squads due to his greater potential. I was just going for who's ahead right now.

Ross Molony went from the top of the world in Irish rugby circles following Leinster's thrashing of Toulouse to now being utterly written off after two relatively poor performances (on big stages).

Prior to that, most people had him touring NZ and some had him in a test squad if Beirne didn't recover. Really shows how fickle form can be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

To be brutally honest, I'd characterise it less as Molony being "top of the world in Irish rugby circles" than him being overestimated by Leinster supporters.

Advertisement