Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jordan Peterson

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Peterson suspended from Twitter. Due to his tweet about transgender actor Elliot Page’s breast surgery. Wonders how these comments fit into Maps or 12 Rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Is there a rule about throwing red meat to your fans to help elevate your public profile? If there is, then he's nailing it.

Getting thrown off twitter is surely a great career move for right wing characters. Demonstrates their points about the left and the Marxists. He can talk all about it directky to his followers, gathered on Telegram and Truth Social.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Granted, Peterson’s 2 books sell to the male self help genre. But he also lectured, videoed, and interviewed in areas that pertains to the larger philosophy of life issues, including a somewhat superficial epistemological discussion on the origins and practices of male and female gender identities, language, and practices.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Peterson's big fault is his absolutism on science, he is anal about statistics, citation and backing with evidence.

It makes his positions unnuanced for today's world, especially social media.

“Throwing red meat to your fans...” Was this a double entendres to Peterson’s earlier diet recommendations?

• Advertisement

I find his lobster argument in chapter one of 12 Rules as problematic pseudo science.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Lol. No but I wish it was.

That's absolutely what that diet was. There's no way he would have promoted a miracle cure diet based on vegetarianism. The notion that he just stumbled upon a diet of literally only red meat, when he sells books to Conservative Americans, is not plausible.

He promoted his daughter selling the diet plan as "counselling". No qualifications in diet or nutrition or medicine or anything, just grifting.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NiceFella

I wouldn't say that about him at all. He was on JRE talking about climate models being nonsense (even though they've been very accurate thus far) because they're just abstractions and the systems are too complicated. Correction all models are abstractions. In science you cannot factor in all influential variables because all systems are too complicated.

This is a completely hypocritical position because modern statistics is heavily model based.

He just cherry picks what he likes and shuns what he doesn't like, which surprisingly most intellectuals do with a heavy ideological bias.

@NiceFella

Obviously, Peterson is not qualified in meteorology by education, research, or experience. Does this make you wonder why he steps away from his discipline to make unqualified, controversial, and sensational statements?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

A Missouri Catholic Democrat (I forget his name) borrowed the phrase from Bismarck - 'Kulturkampf' (culture struggle) in German.

• Advertisement

Culture Wars would be a great topic in our Philosophy forum. A new OP. It has philosophical antecedents and contemporary expressions. You mentioned this with Bismarck and the unnamed more recent user.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NiceFella

Not really, it's his way of playing to his audience. You can make a good living from people who have stroppy or aloof notions about the world. Gemma O'Doherty made a few quid from patrion for example online crowd funding.

Not to put Petersen on that level because he is without question a very smart man. He can make some good points (very few imo) but as I say he is aware of his audience and as such he tends to keep in step with these ideas without fully approving them to maximise his popularity.

Look at it this way. You won't stand out from the crowd by saying "climate change is man made and we need to do something about it" (You along with 97% of professional opinion). However taking the opposite opinion you do and you'll have a sizeable following from people who watch "science on you tube".

This is a discussion forum. It’s OK to link something here about Peterson. But you should also discuss it. Perhaps why you think the link contains a good spoof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,861 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't think he's taking it well.

He seems to be getting more and more unhinged and emotional as time goes on. I wonder if he's secretly happy to be banned so he can adopt a more strident victimhood narrative.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

To what extent does his making of controversial statements, especially those outside his listed qualifications (e.g., climate change), exhibit trolling behavior?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,861 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't think it's so much about that. Authoritarian personalities tend to lean conservative and despise nuance and complexity. I think he's pandering to this demographic now by feeding them what they want to hear under the guise of an "expert". It's big business with plenty of "personalities" flooding the market now telling conservatives exactly what they want to hear and doing their best to shut down debate.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,527 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

he comes across as being very narcissistic, i wonder what disorders he has......

The DailyWire+ now features Jordan Peterson. They claim he is just getting started. From the show topics listed, he appears to be an expert on everything.

Honestly, we could make a bad_stats thread alone about Peterson. Here is he trying to discredit concern for Ukraine.

There's a fair bit of this. I don't know if this is the new step in North American right wing thought or whatever. I've been to the Holodomor museum in Kyiv. It's a tragic place. I don't need some far right junkie trying to tell me what I really think or what my true motivations are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭BigRighysteria

Did you just call Jordan Peterson a right wing junkie?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

I agree with a lot of his opinions but not all. This statement about not caring about Ukraine pissed me off. I do care about Ukrainians and would never accept any appeasement to the Russian mafia. He always spouts on about how brutal the Russians are, why the hell would he think treating with them and conceding is a good idea?

I booked tickets to see him in sept I'm seriously considering cancelling them. His daughter is a brain washed one trick pony too from listening to her.

Yes.

I used to think of him as the sort of guy who dispensed advice that someone who grew up in the seventies or before might give. Stand up straight, don't lie, etc.... Harmless enough stuff, like.

I got 12 Rules as an audiobook and just found a bit tedious for the most part. He spends multiple pages describing conflict resolution in lobsters. The takeaway is that women like confident men. That's it.

Regarding the Russians, it could be because he's on the take or he's just trying to be non-mainstream. I don't know which is more likely.

If you go, enjoy. My friends spent €120 going to see him, Sam Harris and Doulgas Murray. I feel like they paid €120 for a Youtube video but they seemed satisfied enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭BigRighysteria

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

He is a really articulate speaker and I think that is why people are so fond of listening to him and hence he generated a huge following.

But I actually don't like being preached to and told how to live my life based on what he fathoms is the right thing to do? I am confident that people prosper and realise their goals by interpreting and following his teachings. But I reckon that it is all a bit too anal. The web is cluster-phucked with contradicting self help quides' and life assessment. Companies such as Google ( via YouTube ) force feeding you these daily orations on how to survive in the modern world, very American all said.

It is subtle mind control if you take a step back and look at what is going on.

I would not trust him to mind my kids for an afternoon either, he would have them drawing life choice Venn Diagrams on his White board... whereas they should be out in the garden rolling in the sandpit and breaking their toys.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

What is going on with his daughter Makila?

After only a few months of seeing a man she describe as a Stalinist with a demon inside she has a child with him and a shotgun wedding. This ends in divorce.

She then dates a man in Romania called Andrew Tate. A very colourful character who has been accused of trafficking sex workers.

And now she has just got engaged to a man that claims to be a devout Christian and has the same first name as her father.

Daddy issues?

To what extent did his recent comments about Russia and its war against Ukraine exemplify his personal rather than professional male oriented self help philosophy? Or was this just another attempt to draw attention to himself by saying something controversial?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

“Russia vs Ukraine or Civil War in the West.” Peterson interviewed about 2 weeks ago. It appears that he is now claiming to be an expert in foreign affairs and war.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

if millions of men and boys who do not read or attend philosophy suddenly flock to one and fill forums with "he's a high qualified bla bla" then by all means enjoy but be wary and suspicious

Advertisement