Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KBC exiting Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Sarn

The ECB’s next meeting is 21 July. Hard to know exactly when the KCB rates could change, but around then.

All you can do is get the form back to them as soon as you receive it.

For us, it took 5 working days to receive the break form, another 5 working days for acknowledgement of receipt… almost 3 weeks since the initial request and still waiting for confirmation of the rate change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭gar

Been 12 works days since I requested the break fee pack and still nothing here either

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭raxy

Request it again. I'd say they forgot. I requested 1 in April, they never got back to me but I didn't chase it as I was just curious what it might be.

Was onto them last Friday and this morning. They'll get another call in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

The ONLY rate that is guaranteed to increase when the ECB announces their rate change on 21st July is tracker rates as they are designed to increase / decrease directly in line with the ECB refinancing rate.

All other rates are subject to what the financial institution wants to do. Fixed rates in many instances have already increased this year. Those who haven't increased may act sooner and those who have changed already may wait and see what the bond markets do. But its the start of a program of rates increases that may not be too rushed if the expected slowdown/ slight recession comes, but still expect the ECB to be 2%+ this time next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Cona44

Appreciate some advice here…

I have one year left on a fixed mortgage with KBC. I would like to break this and then re-fix before it gets transferred to BOI….

Will it be possible to even go through this in time before it’s handed over???

Kbc won't be taking any new busines after the 15th July which I think going by other posters here includes changes for current customers.

If you want to do it call them ASAP otherwise you'll be too late if not already.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,268 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Banking group launches info campaign as only 220k new accounts opened of potential 1m UB & KBC accounts

Changing rates is not new business.

From 15th July they will not accept any applications from current customers for NEW lending / NEW accounts. My guess is that they will still allow fixing / switching rates almost until the final day and that's probably 6-9 months away

If you don't already have a current account with them and want the 0.2% current account discount, you have until July 15th to open one (then simply close it next month). This gives you an extra 0.2% discount

You will not have a break fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

It's been 10 working days and I still haven't gotten my break fee letter so I'll call them tomorrow and I'll ask about the July 15 date just to confirm. Annoying they're the ones holding up the process as I understand it's zero break fee for existing customers considering they're the one leaving the business? Also a strange thing to need time to calculate...

In fairness their customer support is always very good, probably the only customer support that was decent. Everything from TV/broadband to car dealerships are shocking service...

• Advertisement

Took 14 working days for it to be ready. In fairness the guy I was dealing with called me to say it was done. Now the pack is being sent out... Hopefully it arrives in less than 10 working days unlike the last one.

He did also say the 15th July was cut off for new business not existing. That will not stop for a good long time. I'm just keen to get rate fixed before they go up again

Its nothing to do with them leaving as they have sold the mortgage book including terms and conditions to Bank of Ireland. When you break a fixed rate there is a legal calculation that they must use and it involves a "cost of funds" rate.

Cost of funds has risen in most cases, so the break fee if likely to be zero for many people at least 12-18 months into the fixed rate

Here's all the details on their website https://www.kbc.ie/interest-rates

If this was happening 2 years ago, the break fees would be €2000++++ in many cases. Its unusual that fixed rates are still low when market funding rates are rising. And the customer is benefiting

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Did the final transfer from KBC today....not sure whether to officially close it or let it die a natural death.

Anyway thanks to all for advice and inputs over the last while....hope everyone gets sorted ok.

See you all in the "BOI Exiting Ireland" thread in a couple of years 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

I'm in the same boat as you guys and gals but I think you need to cut KBC staff some slack, they know they will all be unemployed in the not too distant future and I'd imagine alot have jumped ship already leaving them short staffed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

How do you mean simply close it next month? From KBC: “If you cease mandating your salary to your KBC Current Account and/or paying your KBC mortgage by Direct Debit from your KBC Current Account, the interest rate on your KBC Mortgage will increase by 0.20% i.e. the discount will no longer apply.”

For anyone waiting on the break pack, give them a call. I rang on Friday and received mine in post yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

A friend of mine has asked both in branch/hub and on the phone and been advised that he can switch his current acccount business away from KBC from any point now, and the 0.2% discount for same will be retained. My own mantra in dealing with banks is if it's not in writing it didn't happen, but they're definitely indicating that the need to keep your day to day banking with them for the discount is gone.

I'm waiting on a break pack, was told it could be up to 7 days on Wednesday 22nd (date I first requested it), then up to 10 days when I called on Friday 1st, still no word yesterday, so going to call them again today.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

From the Mortgages FAQ on their site:

"From the 1st June 2022 you will be able to close your KBC Current Account and your Mortgage Discount will be honoured by KBC Bank Ireland and by Bank of Ireland once your mortgage transfers. In the meantime, you should continue to adhere to the KBC conditionsassociated with the discount i.e. continue to have your salary mandated to your KBC Current Account."

I'm with Cython in being cautious, so before moving wages mandate, I'll be screen shotting that and emailing it to myself to ensure it's time stamped. Just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

I'm just off the phone to them. You can indeed close your current account and keep the discount. Also from 1 July you don't need to have your wages paid into account, just have to ensure there's enough in it to cover the mortgage obviously.

So it appears I'll be opening an account this week, and closing it next week.

Staff are good and cut them slack as they are doing their best. Very few will jump before the end as they would be giving up their entitlement to a very generous redundancy payment

Put it this way - many will be getting 20k +++ (mostly tax free too) and will start in a new company the week after they leave KBC.

I doubt anyone of them will be unemployed for even a day.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

With two banks exiting the market and the current economic climate most will not fair very. There is not a very big market for people with retail banking experience outside the industry especially if you are say over 40. And hanging on for the redundancy money, is probably not a good move because you may find the market is even much small when you do get around to looking for a job and consequently end up with a permanent income cut.

So yes cut them some slack and realise that as time goes on, their motivation will decline and as I have said in the past move sooner rather than later as it is in your own best interests to get your financial affairs sorted out.

• Advertisement

Still waiting on the break info to come back for my inquiry, but two pieces of info from the latest agent to whom I spoke that put my mind somewhat at ease, and may do so for others here:

1. Refixing will still be available for existing customers post July 15th, and indeed right up to the transition to BOI, which is expected to be next year sometime.
    2. Any change in the fixed interest rates on offer would be preceded by at least 30 days' notice to customers, which obviously hasn't been issued. Same agent said they've been given no indication of changes as well, but there's no guarantee they'd get much advance notice anyway, IMO.

So given that, there's a part of me that if I thought I could get a break and re-fix through in the 30 days notice I'd be tempted to let it slide for the time being and get as long as I can out of my current fixed rate (2.25% with about a year left), and aim to refix as close to any rate change as possible, but that would be a gamble, obviously, and assume that the break fee would remain zero in the face of a rate hike coming.

KBC finally came back to me today (original inquiry on June 22nd), as expected there's no cost to break out of the fixed term, and the letter/form to break has already been issued before they called. Valid for 10 working days from date of issue, so should give me up until 25/26th of this month to make my decision. Both the break form and the form to fix again can be emailed back as late as the last day apparently, so will take my time to see how the ECB announcements may pan out or if they prompt any immediate reaction.

Looking at the form, one thing that I'll definitely confirm before sending anything back is that the 0.2% current account discount will also be maintained, as the form does say to contact them to apply for that and just lists the undiscounted rates, but I imagine it should be a formality to ensure it continues.

Got our new fixed term through today, took about 4 weeks from start to finish with no break fee. We actually managed to bring the mortgage down about 40 quid a month due to a new rate so happy enough with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭rodge123

10 weeks later and at stage of Solicitor requesting funds from AIB today to switch mortgage. Unbelievably slow turnaround times from AIB using their online application process when verifying uploaded docs and they made a mistake with what they requested at one stage adding a few more days into timeframe.

Hoping they offer a few weeks leeway for people already in process if they decide to increase their fixed rates today!

Getting the 5 year green rate of 2.1%.

At this stage will have cost me 1200 in Solicitor fees and 400 for BER regardless if went ahead or cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

400 for BER? Is your house not new if it's that highly rated? Did you not have a BER cert already?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭rodge123

About 6 years old. Only had a provisional BER which bank wouldn’t accept. That’s roughly the going rate was quoted by fee lads for the BER.

Break fee generated on the 11th, posted on the 13th and only got it on the 20th. Deadline is Monday, off work so I have to get a scanner from my sister. Annoying that they even have a deadline on it. They better accept it, took 3 weeks for them to generate it.

Take a picture and sent it like that or use a document creator app to generate a PDF?

Does anyone know what email address I need to send the break fee letter to? I can't find one on their website, their email us page only has a page to fill in your details for them to contact you.

• Advertisement

You have to phone them & ask for it.

Advertisement