Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭bren2001

Yeah, I just watched that scene. There are kids toys in the background (a small table and chairs along with a toy pink car). Gus says "...this is a Chilean dish that I love but I never get to make it. Kids won't eat it but you know how it is".

So it is certainly implied in BB that he has a family. However, everything in that house might be fake for all we know.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Really enjoyed that episode last night but like others wished Walt and Jesse showed up in Sauls waiting room in the final scenes.

This is minor I know but Im hoping they resolve how the giant inflatable Statue of Liberty gets from the Kettlemans tax shack out in the desert a few episodes ago to being on top of Sauls office. He has unfinished business with those two and its always a good comedy scene with the Kettlemans so I want to see how Saul gets the Statue of Liberty off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Likely from this (EDIT I see it was already mentioned)

Los Pollos Hermanos was a fast-food restaurant chain that specialized in fried chicken, operating across the southwestern United States. The name, pronounced [los ˈpo.ʝos eɾˈma.nos], is ungrammatical Spanish for "The Chicken Brothers." Founded by Gustavo Fring and Max Arciniega, the restaurant chain had fourteen locations throughout the southwest and was Gustavo Fring's major business concern

https://breakingbad.fandom.com/wiki/Los_Pollos_Hermanos

• Registered Users Posts: 33,579 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if Gus was paying off people to act as his family (eg. maybe a single mother with kids already). Give them a home and security, to keep up appearances as just a normal businessman. After all we saw him here with a tunnel linking two houses and either a fake or real couple as decoy homeowners.

Or he could even just have left toys out for the rare occasions he does have guests just to make them think he has a family (eg. If Walt turned on Gus and decided to try go after Gus' family having seen the toys, but it ends up being a wild goose chase).

Gus is the kind of guy who would have another set of security cameras pointing at each of his security cameras. For security.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,582 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Decent breakdown of the episode

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Gus is a very cultured man who always insists on propriety, mistake to confuse with a " sensitive side ", he's cold as ice but impeccably mannered

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Obviously I meant in a relative and romantic context. Even Hitler had a girlfriend……

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭cozar

in the movie "heat" there was a line about not getting involved with anyone unless you are able to walk away in seconds if you have to (something like that) I think this applies to Gus he knew he could'nt get involved with anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,445 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

• Advertisement

With four episodes left, I don't give a toss how the giant statue ends up with Saul. If it is addressed, hopefully it is a throwaway line explaining it. I assume with Howards death and the link to drugs, the Kettlemans took a case saying they were not properly represented etc. and Saul was their attorney.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Was it not already covered last time he and Kim saw them? I recall a line from Saul getting them to throw in the statue as part of the deal they made

Interesting preview of what we might see in the next episode I think we might see Walter and Jessie next episode

This popped up on my YouTube recommendations

How right Mike was when he says to the bastard Walter White "we had a good thing going here all you had to do was cook"😓

Post edited by Snake Plisken on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭trashcan

Or, the writers only decided he was gay after that episode, and have made a boo boo. That may seem unlikely, as I know they usually pay scrupulous attention to detail, but you never know.

Really intrigued to see where it’s going now, since all of the loose threads on the pre BB timeline seem to have been resolved. There doesn’t seem to be a need to spend any time with Saul in the BB era , apart from the audiences seeming need to see Walt and Jesse again. Personally I could do without that. I can’t help thinking back to the El Camino movie where the weight gained by Jesse Plemons when it was supposed to be around the time when his character was much skinnier, was such a distraction for me that it really spoiled things. I’m not sure we want to see Aaron Paul or Bryan Cranston trying to play themselves 10 years younger.

Anyway, I wonder does this mean we are going to move quickly to the “Gene” era to close out and resolve everything from there. Possibly with a return for Kim (Though I wouldn’t be surprised if the writers left it as it is with Kim.) Also, are Mike and Gus done now ? There doesn’t really seem to be any scope to involve them any further.

I'd say it's definitely possible the writers hadn't decided Gus was gay when Walt visited his house in Season 3. Even with their attention to detail, they've always been willing to change things to suit the narrative if needed, like making Gus gay to show us his motivation behind taking down Eladio and the Salamancas extended far beyond just money/power.

I'm sure we'll see some of Mike and Gus in the current time, even if it's just a conversation or two leading into why Gus decides to work with Walt, maybe Mike doing background checks on them, noting that the lab is finished etc. Maybe even something to do with Tuco, as I'm sure Gus & Mike would have had their eyes on him only to then find Walt & Jesse helped take him down.

I'd also say we're going to get something related to Kim in this time, before the next timeskip to the Gene post-BB time. But that's the total wildcard given that she was never mentioned in BB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

10 years ?

For AAron paul it will be closer to 20 ... guy is about 42 now and Jesse was meant to be around 22/23...

• Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Well that was another unexpected time jump

Only three episodes left now and the anticipation just grows

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Gotta love how in the final stretch of a six-season epic the writers still have given themselves the luxury of a fun off-format heist episode, with only the most minimal of connective tissues to the ongoing narrative arc and unresolved plotlines. While it certainly potentially sets up where the Gene story is going to go, it's just great to see the BCS team just being absolutely indulgent with the time they have left.

Some great filmmaking as ever: the match cut to the snowy footstep, which itself helped foreshadow the gleefully blunt and comical impact of 'the slip'.

I actually thought the cleaner would have been the one to interrupt the plan rather then the slip. I think the line about Jeffy falling in with a bad crowd in Albuquerque might give some clue of what happens next Not sure of what to make if the episode a bit of a come down after the last few but I have faith they will stick the landing in the final 3 episodes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

not sure what to make of that episode, a bit too much filler

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭steve_r

Hmmm, I think Gene took on a lot of risk with that plan - going from such a risk-averse position to doing a heist in the same building he works in seems a huge stretch.

The most interesting thing for me was the scene with the shirt at the end. He became Saul for real when Kim left, and Saul's life seemed pretty empty when we saw it in the last episode. Based on that I would have thought he would have looked back on that time of his life with regret - but the way he held the shirt it seems he wants to become Saul again.

The Albuquerque connection that was mentioned is very interesting - I could see Gene getting dragged back into that world and that ultimately being the endgame for the character.

P.S We know Walter White is making an appearance - which would have to happen on BB timelines - is it mad to think that the Jesse appearance could happen on the Gene timeline? I'm trying to think of who is alive in Albuquerque at this point

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

For me, the whole premise of the episode was showing how you can't take the Saul Goodman out of Jimmy or Gene. No matter how low he's supposed to be lying, that scheming confidence man will always be thirsty for more action and bigger risks :)

I think the references to Albuquerque were mostly just to remind people that that's how Jeff knew that Gene was Saul. After all, that scene was about 2 years ago. Although if we do jump back to BB-era Saul, maybe we see Jeff again from that time period.

A fun little episode. Nothing earthshaking or monumental, but given the impact of the last few episodes, no harm in bringing things down a notch, (likely) completing the Jeff side of things, and giving the final few episodes more time to breathe without having to resolve that too.

Is Jeff somewhy tied to Todd and Uncle Jack's crew are any of them left to come after Gene if Jeff contacts them?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Good episode overall, but mostly I was just glad to see Jerry Gergich land in a work environment where he’s treated with respect.

I thought that was a really enjoyable episode of TV. It was a heist episode where nothing happened but showed us that Gene is still Jimmy. He is still capable of turning it on when he needs too. They have tied up the loose end of Jeff and are free to finish the story with possibly only Gene and Kims storylines to be wrapped up.

The only other "outstanding" item to be addressed is the phone call on November 12th at 15:00 for Francesca. This episode is set a month earlier than that. I assume we deal with that next. He must have a plan we don't know about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

I hope the Gene story has some closure, it can't just end with him getting away, he has to either die or be caught ... at least atone for Howard and tell the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,636 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

S6 e10 great episode. Creating a drama and double bluff out of such a simple premise on the surface.

Good analysis of things viewers may have missed here-

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,636 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Different actor playing Jeff in S6 e10. Because the original actor was unavailable.

Apparently the episode is set around October 2010 based on the ‘Martinez’ reference.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Advertisement