Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

I see the august weekend is looking bad now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

This weekend is a perfect example of why we'll all be fighting with each other at the end of August as to whether it was a good summer or not.

Barely a drop of rain all weekend where I am in south county Dublin with temps of over 23º each day. Feeling warmer with the humidity. A bit more sun and it would almost have been the perfect summer's weekend.

Obviously it's been a different story elsewhere.

It was a bit damp when I woke up on Saturday around 10am so was probably raining before that. Bit since then not much rain (bar a shower in the city centre around 6pm yesterday evening).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Another depressing summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭appledrop

Raining heavily in NCD since 5pm.

To be honest I'm surprised the day stated dry that long. Huge dark sky from about 2pm onwards so I think we got lucky in that sense.

Rained yesterday from early morning till about 1pm.

I could understand people being disappointed with weather this weekend if you were working all week.

That’s it appledrop and a bad bank holiday weekend could have me classing this as a bad summer. Some individual highlights but to many rubbish days in June and nothing weekends like this where it was windy and threatening rain most of the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

At least it’s remained warm since the brief hot spell. I was worried it would get cool when the Atlantic air rolled in last week. The wind has been a right pain though.

Hoping the bank holiday weekend and beyond will revert to warm/very warm weather after the upcoming cooler week.

From what met eireann are saying the weekend isn’t shaping up well at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Muggy night again. At least the wind has died down a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Another fairly dry day for my area in south east Ireland.

To hear some parts of the island getting flooded this weekend, while it seems unable to rain much at all in other areas.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Looking at the models everywhere looks like getting plenty of rain from next weekend. GEM, GFS and ECM ensemble graphs looking very wet first week of August.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭giveitholly

I presume grass growth is very poor in your area?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Its been a fairly windy/gusty wknd in Dubkin with rain on Sat morning and Sunday evening. Certainly not great summer weather but serviceable by Irish standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

Well there was no rain in south county Dublin at all today.

I did the viking splash tour on Saturday afternoon - was expecting to get drowned but ended up having to put on the shades and the sun scream. Then stayed drinking in a beer garden all evening enjoying the warmth.

Then today where I am it's been muggy, warm and partly cloudy all day.

The forecast on Friday looked awful - which it was in parts, but the capital and south east did OK.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A very strange weekend here in Dunshaughlin. Both Saturday and Sunday had plenty of rain especially today but it was very, very warm considering the very Atlantic driven weather. Looking out the window both today and yesterday you would think 15C at best but it actually got close to 24C both yesterday and today. Tropical rain. When the sun did shine today it really was very warm sun then a 5 minute downpour then back to sun. We had a fairly legthy deluge around 6pm today which gave an absolute soaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭appledrop

We were same here Gonzo , very warm but I find that kind of weather very headwreaking.

You look out window and dress less summery because it looks cool, but then your roasting but you need the raincoat etc for rain!

Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

The 6 year old was delighted because I gave in and went to playcentre. I hate the place give me fresh air in playground anyday😱

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Yeah the grass is showing signs of stress where it has been grazed, the best fertilizer it could get right now would be some rain.

dirty morning out there. Some change to last Mondays glorious oasis. Damp overcast breezy 14 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I woke up to rain Saturday morning but it didn't last and it only started to rain late yesterday evening.

It was extremely blustery all wknd though. Certainly not great summer weather in my opinion. But of course better than the wet muck the W/NW got.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,017 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I was in Wexford for the weekend and Saturday was a complete washout. Rained all day long, mostly that horrible dark grey drizzle type muck that the weather here likes to serve up. Sunday was a good bit better but had some showers early and was still very overcast but warm.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Went swimming in Fountainstown yesterday and it was lovely! On the way down there were really heavy showers and was a bit worried but when we got there it stayed dry and even got a bit of sun! Just after our swim, and having got changed and had a lovely O' Flynns sausage, it started pouring so just hopped into the car and headed off - talk about luck!

On 2 weeks annual leave from Friday, and going to do some of the Waterford Greenway on Sunday but now seeing from posts above, weather is gonna be shocking grrrr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I was in Wicklow both weekend days, Avondale for the tree top walk on Saturday and Bray for airshow on Sunday. It rained throughout my time there on Saturday. Having to wear a coat but also sweating from the disgusting humidity. Hate that kind of weather. Then Sunday was mostly fine bar one shower. It came when I arrived, was snapping like Costa del Bray me hole 😂 that was the start of everything hitting the fan but I won't delve into that.

Far from the ideal weekend, not perfect at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

If I was to rate this summer so far from a Dublin perspective, i would give it a 7.5 /10. June was very poor but July has been excellent. Even this weekend just gone, we got a couple of tiny showers but nothing of any note and it was 23 degrees for most of it, it was partly cloudy but some nice stretches of sunshine. I would say out of the 24 days in July, we have been over 20 degrees for nearly 20 of those. We have had a 33 degrees, a 29, several days around 27 degrees, loads of days around 23-25 and then a good few around 20 or 21.

For me the main thing in summer is being able to get out and about each day and do things without being rained on. For the whole of July to date, only 11mm of rain has been recorded which is exceptionally good. June by comparison had 43mm (which wouldnt exactly be classed very wet in itself but it was much cooler in June and windy).

I would take this July's weather every single July if I was offered it, mix of cloud and sunny and mid 20s for much of it, ideal in my opinion. Of course extra sunshine each day would always be a bonus but we have to remember where we are based geographically!

I do feel for locations though that have seen really poor weather, I know a good few people who have been out west and north west and it seems to have been a very different story over there.

Hopefully a good August lies ahead for everyone.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Had planned to go, even bought a ticket for the car park but was very reluctant to travel going by the forecast, a long drive from Tralee to miss the Red Arrows and BoB display which turned out to be the case. Unfortunately turned out to be quite poor going by the reports over on the aviation forum but that's the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Back to the usual with the wind back. Some fleeting sunny spells and showers.

It was very disappointing but that was the least of the worries for a lot of us with the whole transport situation. Anyway, we move along. On the bright side, low shower clouds over Killiney Hill and Howth are always nice to see from a distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Feel sorry for the kids, outdoor summer camps in Ireland are inherently risky.

Couple of mine started a week long football camp this morning, in strong winds and sideways rain.

I do think May, June and Sept are our better months of recent years. July and August seem to be constantly wet.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

@Meteorite58 You certainly did not miss much!!! 🤨 Luckily I only live down the road (and brought a bottle of wine in my bag! 😊).

I did catch the start of what looked like to be Kelvin–Helmholtz clouds out to sea. More started to develop behind but all collapsed pretty quick.

windy Atlantic drizzely muck this morning and feeling quite cool, a bit of a shock after the very warm weekend.

I'll be in Amsterdam from tomorrow for the next 3 days and it just happened that the low pressure that is currently over us will be over the Netherlands from tomorrow to Thursday so i'm bringing the bad weather with me over there. It's been very warm there all summer and that ends tomorrow and doesn't warm up again until I leave on Friday.

Seen that myself Doc. Can even see very slight KH in my shot above too trying to get going, though yours is more textbook. The odds of us being the only 2 taking notes of slight KH out of many thousands 🤓😂

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Advertisement