Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

The Celtic Interconnector is supposed to be completed by late 2025, so I was being generous by not using greens love of adding years to builds they do not like in saying 5 years.

Do you not get that there is a massive energy crisis in Europe due to a shortage of gas, or that the largest exporter of electricity in Europe is France due to their high generation from nuclear

You can have all the interconnectors you want running all over Europe,but they are not going to generate energy and right now there is little or no excess energy flowing through them and that is not going to change anytime soon, and no guarantee that there will be from this Celtic Interconnector if, or more likely, when we need it.

Contrary to green magical thinking I do not keep two sets of books. The latest solution from greens is that off shore wind is the answer. I have already shown you that depending on off shore wind for our needs will require roughly 3X the output of all the present on shore turbines, but how much this will cost or when this will be completed nobody has an answer, yet mention nuclear and greens jump in with both costs and completion dates off the top of their heads.

You talk about energy security and keeping our gas turbines running until this of shore wind solves the problems, but yet ignore we do not have energy security for this gas and that it`s at the whim of the U.K. should they decide to switch off the tap. The green`s answer to that ? Ban LNG. To talk about energy security while backing the banning of LNG shows where these two sets of mental balance sheets are really residing. In green heads.

Well they do say mathematics does not lie, and I cannot imagine a better example than the money spent from the two different approaches of France and Germany and what they have achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Except that's factually incorrect

The price consumers pay for electricity is political. France choose to subsidise electricity, they add that to tax somewhere else. Ireland chooses to have low corporate tax and to make citizens pay higher costs for utilities.

Ireland produced 6.5 tonnes of CO2 per capita in 2020, France produced just over 4 tonnes. That's not double or treble or 5 times what France produced.

We also have a regulator whose only function on energy prices is to rubber stamp energy company demands from what I see. France capped energy price increases at 4%. We added more carbon tax.

The technology comes when there is sufficient investment in it. If the world had started taking this seriously in the 1990s we would already have developed the lower cost higher efficiency solar panels

The Lack of investment decades ago is why we are where we are today, having to make a much more expensive transition with less time and room to manoeuvre

Good thing we listened to Christopher feckin Monckton and the ghouls at the 'Global Warming Policy Foundation' instead of every single credible scientific body on the planet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Darth Putin

I was talking about electricity production which in case of Ireland is 3-4x co2 emissions wise of France

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Europe's Green Experiment. A costly failure in unilateral climate policy.

John Constable

The climate policies adopted by the European Union have:

• degraded the productivity of the energy sector, particularly the electricity sector;

• increased the cost of energy, particularly electricity, through the coerced adoption of thermodynamically incompetent renewables;

• created a strong price-rationing effect that has suppressed energy demand, particularly electricity, within the EU’s member states;

• made the European region more dependent on goods and services – including renewable energy generation equipment – from without the EU, principally fossil-fuelled Asia and China;

produced the longest sustained fall in energy consumption in the modern period, perhaps the longest since the late Middle Ages; the onset of societal instability cannot be ruled out.

Distressed policy correction is inevitable, but the timing is uncertain.

Mr. Constable reports that the EU policies have produced the longest sustained fall in energy consumption in modern times. He ominously suggests that this could cause social instability. The report is well worth reading.

He also points out that European manufacturers have a strong lead in internal combustion engines (ICE). A rapid shift to BEVs favours China, who control control rare earths and lithium processing. Why then is the EU helping to kill its own industry? The EU trade surplus is very dependent upon Germany, and Germany is dependent upon ICE. German economic suicide will take Europe down with it.

Unrelated to the above, This graph is from the neighbours. What happens to us in the situation where the UK generators do not have spare capacity to export in the winter, and we not have the spare to sell them either?. There will be real shortages across Europe and likely a shutdown of interconnectors anywhere a country doesn’t have a surplus to offer. It is likely that industry will have to shutter under these conditions. If that starts extending to the domestic sector expect governments to fall, and the EU to get extremely fractious.

Norway at the Capacity Limit of its Power System

It must be a Norwegian consideration, if this is a problem, but it is unlikely that Norway will be able to increase the sale of balancing services significantly. Norwegian authorities have probably assessed each new link to be profitable, but putting the planned link to Scotland on hold indicates that the impact of new interconnectors on the Norwegian electricity markets has taken them by surprise.

Most countries have ambitious plans for new wind and solar plants. Additional transmission and balancing capacities must be established simultaneously with the commission of new generation. In some countries, large transmission projects are already several years delayed.

This situation seems not to be fully recognized in Denmark and some other countries

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

We do not have a LNG terminal in Ireland and we cannot magic one out of thin air. We need more infrastructure, so it's a choice, do we build renewable infrastructure, or fossil fuel infrastructure. If anything is going to be fast tracked, it should be long term sustainable generation, not fracked gas shipped across the ocean from America, which is just as insecure as the existing gas supply.

Ireland has 46 offshore wind projects in various stages of planning already

If the government supports these better and we can get some of them running ahead of schedule, we'll be a lot more energy secure and will be using our interconnectors to sell power to the power starved EU grid you keep talking about.

Replacing Gas for home cooking and heating will then become the next priority. Gas Boilers are illegal in new builds from 2025 but in practise, very very few new builds should be using gas boilers anymore, and then the focus should be on getting existing housing stock migrated from Oil and Gas to either Biogas or electrical heating and cooking

If we can focus on getting the low hanging fruit changed asap it will give breathing space to work on the more difficult cases (older less efficient homes who would require extensive alterations to improve energy efficiency)

Where am I being disingenuous ?

You are the poster who posted here the beef herd increasing when it is in fact decreasing and has been for the last 8 years. You also claimed that the proposed cuts to farming would have little or no effect on the economy where a KPMG reports shows they would result in a 4 Billion loss in exports and result in 56,000 losing their jobs. So which of us being disingenuous!

You also throw claims around like confetti at a wedding with absolutely nothing to back them up. I did a rough estimate on how much we have to date spent on wind energy based on ourselves and Germany having close to the same figure on renewables and in relation to our population size, and from a recent post i was being very generous on those costs. From that taking into account the 12 month average rolling capacity for U.K off shore wind generation, and the output required based on that how much it would cost for off shore to fill our requirements. If you think those figures are incorrect then lets se yours.

I was also being overgenerous on off shore long term hidden costs such as maintenance as I didn`t include any. I gave the straight line depreciation costs for the manufacturers 25 year life span (again being over generous imo) plus a low interest rate of 2% for the year on year cost of those turbines, but again if you feel you can do it cheaper lets see it.

I agree, our energy regulator seems to be pretty useless. The new 'Smart meter plans' are a scam and the regulator is doing nothing to fix that. It completely destroys confidence in the system, and she has done little to nothing to force the grid operators to upgrade in preparation for the 21st century

• Advertisement

Its really not as simple as that.

EDF, Frances' nuclear power company operates 56 plants in France. Half of them are currently offline and require a lot of investment in upgrades and repairs to extend their lifespan. The company itself is in massive debt and are selling electricity at a loss because the government want to control price increases in the market

France are probably going to have to Fully Nationalise EDF, a further 10 billion euros for the privilege of taking on 47 billion euros of existing debt and large operating losses, and looking bills for expensive maintenance of aging reactors

All that money to keep utility bills low, is added on to the French national debt.

You can't simply compare bills and conclude that the French are generating electricity cheaper than other places

Germany made a mistake in shutting down their nuclear plants after Fukushima, but what is done, is done. We need to look to the future

John Constable works with 'The global Warming Policy Foundation' which are one of the biggest sources of climate disinformation this side of the Atlantic

I aint wasting my time going through his bullsh1t and teasing out his lies from the grains of truth

You need to find better sources, even for your own mental health. These people are not your friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Really?

This is a quote directly from Monbiot

"A car is now more dangerous than a gun; flying across the Atlantic is as unacceptable, in terms of its impact on human well-being, as child abuse."

The guy is a grade 1 fruitcake who thinks the apocalypse is coming tomorrow and equates flying with child abuse.

Considering your own End of Days beliefs detailed in your comments in this thread I'm not particularly surprised you're a big fan.

Yeah and I get the dig for "climate change denier" 👏

But nope. Just because you disagree with other posters here - does not make them 'deniers' regardless.

Not every green policy is well thought or even workable and not every later day green prophet should be fetted or put on a pedestal especially some of the screamers like Monbiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭Shoog

It only becomes beef cattle when it suites people to ignore the massive growth in dairy cattle over the last two decades. The national herd is all cattle not just the ones that suite your argument.

You still don't get it. Both beef and dairy cattle make up the "national herd", so beloved of the greens in their endless mission to shut down existing agriculture here and replace it with their own bizarre notions of producing "plant food". When tbf most of them wouldn't know the difference between a turnip and a swede and believe that large parts of the countryside should be reserved for nice cycling holidays to go see Eamons wolves.

The facts are - increases in the number of dairy cattle in the country has been at the expense of beef cattle numbers which have dropped significantly. The overall result is that there has been no significant overall increases in the "national herd"

Numbers have varied somewhat year on year but overall that number is still less than the maximum number of cattle (both beef and dairy) which occurred in the 1990s.

Whats less explicable - is the mindless obsession by some greens with the "national herd" as if it was the embodiment of Stalin, Hitler and Pol Pot rolled into one

The same frequently headlined with scare stories of massive increases which must be curtailed! And declared the sector with the largest share of ghgs emissions. Which frankly is green propaganda and bs.

The largest share of ghgs emissions come from Energy consumption which accounts for approx 59% of Ireland’s greenhouse gas emissions. With agriculture (which bizarrely includes forestry and other landuse change) coming in at approximately 34%.  

Yes Irish agriculture faces challenges. However the greens sticking their oar in is certainly not going to help.

Post edited by Mecanudo on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,140 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I hate the term "National herd". It's nothing to do with me or my nationality, they are the assets of businessmen. We don't call cars the "National fleet".

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Define 'massive'. Irelands methane emissions in 2012 were the same as in 1990, according to the world bank. Why they don't have more recent data, I have no idea.

We don't call cars the "National fleet".

Actually we do!

https://www.simi.ie/en/environment/drive-greener/national-vehicle-fleet

https://www.nfd.ie/

Unfortunately the phrase "national herd" has become much abused and an apparent bsession with some.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Darth Putin

Gonna leave this here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭ps200306

You are fond of talking about where we would be if we had started 20 years ago. The planning application for the Shannon LNG terminal was lodged in 2007. Yes, of course we can't magic anything out of thin air starting from where we are now. But we could easily have had an LNG terminal up and running ten years ago. There is no point crying over spilled milk whether it's LNG or wind power. But we are lurching ever closer to a catastrophic failure of our energy supply infrastructure. We know we are going to need fossil fuels for the foreseeable future, so what are we going to do about it? Wring our hands and say we've left it so late that we might as well wait until we can run on 100% renewables? The not insignificant flaw in that plan is that we don't know if renewables can ever get us to that point. What's Plan B?

Grid-scale long term (i.e. days to weeks) battery storage doesn't exist, and in my opinion (based on simple chemistry and arithmetic, not just plucked out of my backside) is that it will never exist. Hydrogen has a list of problems too long to go into here, but the long and short of it is that it doesn't exist either and is realistically decades away. Interconnectors are not a panacea either. The capacity that will be built in the next five years is a fraction of peak demand and also a fraction of the peak output that Ryan claims we will be exporting. And that's ignoring the fact that the region from Ireland's Atlantic coast to the North Sea basin is not large in terms of synoptic scale weather. The whole of northwest Europe can be in storm conditions or becalmed at the same time. There will be nowhere to dump excess wind power when it's available, or to buy it when it's not.

In short the Greens are engaged in an ideologically driven head-in-the-sand exercise and -- given the government portfolio they now hold -- a total dereliction of duty. They're good at declaring "climate emergencies" ... not so good at dealing with the actual energy security emergency that is upon us now.

• Advertisement

I take it you are addressing that post to me.

There are two national herds. The beef herd and the dairy herd so why don`t you for once go and do a bit of research on where these proposed cuts are to be made and to what degree rather than just throwing around thoughts off the top of your head like you have been doing on the economy and on beef cattle increasing in numbers when they have been decreasing for the past 8 years.

While you are at it might not be a bad idea also to check out just what body incentivised Irish farmers to increase their dairy herds and why. Checking out what the E.U. Agriculture Minister had to say 2 months ago on cattle numbers might not be a bad idea either rather than jumping in with accusations of a poster being disingenuous when you yourself hasn`t the first clue as too what you are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Gazprom acting the bollox again with another turbine.

Gas to be restricted to 20%.

Good job our energy minister built all that gas storage to ensure no disruption……..oh.

Why would he be building gas storage??

All the proposed storage projects are private ventures. The last one that had permission was never built so 🤷‍♀️

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Wait are most if not all windfarms Private ventures. Will stand to be corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭ps200306

So his personal intervention against Shannon LNG, his department's footdragging on permitting existing offshore exploration licenses, and his misrepresentation of those projects to a Seanad committee are "nuthin' to do with me guv"? Right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,065 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I know what you're saying but I also think it's to exaggerate a point. There's little if any similarity between the ancient rearing of cattle and the modern industrial approach to grass and livestock production. They are literally worlds apart. The large dairy farm enterprises are just as alien in some ways as data centres and factory complexes.

We have this idea promoted of the small farmer with his wee land holding just about making a bean. These existed aplenty in the 19th and a lot of the 20th centuries, but again they were very mixed farms with a variety of livestock & fowl and some tillage and they tended to sell their produce relatively locally. If you go back to the 19th century proper, apart from spuds - it's apparent that oats & rye were grown extensively in small plots, even up and down the west coast of Ireland.

But the direction of Irish agriculture changed inexorably after joining the EEC and now EU. It is big business now and as a industry it simply has to make commensurate changes proportional to it's size and impact on the atmosphere. Householders and consumers (inc farmers) are expected to change and pay more for energy and fuels. So agriculture has to do likewise and also so does the airline sector - who seem to have been getting a free pass to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Oh I don’t know………maybe to have security of supply?

No such thing exists when it comes to fossil fuels

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

At this point as individuals we have to be prepared in advance for the 2022-23 Winter season i.e. From November to April in Ireland we can expect mean daily temperatures to vary from 4.0 °C to 7.6 °C, we will need heating and it is substantially expensive this year compared with previous years. If we are unlucky and get severe cold weather, this can last anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months (e.g. 1962-63) and will impact the United Kingdom and much of Europe at the same time. Compared to events like March 2018, where we just scraped through thanks to gas storage in Kinsale, that's been decommissioned. Excess winter deaths rose significantly in Ireland that year. For Winter 2022/23 there is no reserve energy capacity in the system to cope with am extended severe cold weather event.

• Winter clothing and warm bedding will be essential, most people will be turning down thermostats to manage the bills.
    • Household energy consumption will need to be monitored carefully, find activities that limit running up the electricity bill.
    • Rolling blackouts are an increased possibility, that means almost all modern heating systems are down for the duration. More remote areas tend to have contingencies in place, urban areas not so much. Beware diesel generators are notoriously problematic during cold weather.
    • If houses need to be abandoned in severe cold (e.g. move in with relatives/neighbours) ensure the water tanks are drained, you should know how to turn off the water in those cases.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Yes there is. The US hold vast quantities in a national reserve. If you have a reserve you control, supply can be stable if your reserves are sufficient.

you are attempting to be cute, and succeeding.

Advertisement