Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airshow 2022

Options
  • 24-07-2022 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

Disappointing return of the airshow unfortunately...

The organizers decided to keep the main attractions to the end (Red arrows & Saab Jet) but they were grounded by problems in Weston airstrip..

I commented to my guests even before the problems were announced that they should have scheduled one of them in the middle of the line-up to keep the crowd's attention, as I could see people were getting bored of watching props doing the same routine over & over...

Air corps basically doing fly-bys, it all got a bit meh....

I could see the stream of people leaving from 4pm... then of course the mess-up of the Dart - https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/2022/07/24/passengers-suffer-long-delays-on-way-to-bray-air-display-after-trains-brought-to-a-standstill/

The announcement that due to "take off issues" in Weston was followed by "Thanks and goodbye".... pretty weak

Could have been a triumphant return of a fantastic weekend, but ended up as a disappointing bore with a real inconvenience to attendees.

Any other views?

Post edited by fortwilliam on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Very disappointing, totally flat and lacking in imagination, and planes!

No Red Arrows, No Battle of Britain trio (Spit, Lanc & Hurricane), very few jets but lots of slow moving "hairdryers" with wings, with helicopters used as fillers for the main stars (who never got to display) @ Bray.

3/10 for this year's shambles.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Hard work trying explain to your 10 year old why the show should have been so much better, rather than your 10 year old telling you how great the show was!

After an hour he was more interested in throwing stones in the sea!

Really took the biscuit when red arrow guy came on tannoy saying due to a shower at Baldonnell reds could not take off/fly! Should have been better planning than that for the weather. If reds could not take off from a wet runway (due to the length of the runway at Baldonnell), maybe they should have located in Dublin Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

Signs were there from early that the organisation was not up to scratch. The Sunday morning road closures bore no resemblance to the list of closures released prior to the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

i havent been in years so dont have anything to compare it to really but echo the points on organization..... why did they not see the possibility of rain and have the main attractions on earlier....

my main complaints though were lack of rubbish bins and toilets.... i didnt see one big bin anywhere and by the time we were leaving there was rubbish everywhere... Most people being responsible and leaving bags beside the bins but doesnt take much for a gust to blow one over

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

How on earth is that being responsible??... Bins full = BRING IT HOME!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

we both know people 70000 people arent going to carry big bags of rubbish home on a train... there should have been a few big bins there like every other big event ....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Sorry. I wouldn’t accept this about the bins. If you can mange to bring stuff with you when full then it should be even easier to bring back when empty.

Normal weekends the lads do a great job in keeping beach tidy and there are plenty of bins but there’s no bins big enough for over 100,000 people and they should be more reposnsible is themselves as they are creating the rubbish not the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

I was at the Bray Head end of the beach and saw plenty of bins and toilets.

The council lads were emptying bins through the day.

There were plenty of portaloos, although there were queues for them. I went to the gents in the building and didn't have to wait at all.

And, I agree, the council lads do an amazing job of keeping the promenade ares free from litter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Leaving rubbish beside bins is not being responsible. Taking your rubbish home is the responsible thing to do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement