Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

BVB need a striker now Haller is very sadly out for a bit with cancer.

Chelsea want rid of Werner.

Liverpool buy Bellingham with Naby in part exchange and BVB use the money to buy Werner and reunite the Naby/Werner partnership that was top class for Red Bull Germany.

Simples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Sounds great except Werner is on £270k a week with Chelsea

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

Yeah fully expect Werner to rude out that sweet contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Rumour was Suarez was going to go to BVB while Haller was out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I find it hard to picture him in a Dortmund shirt for some reason, not to say it won’t happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Agreed

He is arguably our most natural finisher and excellent in the air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Did the club acknowledge this? I don't think they did. Not that I saw on twitter anyway. He won that honour for his performances for us and Senegal. We should publicly congratulate him imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

I think it's unrealistic to expect a double digit number of goals from him. Alexander-Arnold cannot become golden era Gerrard-like in his role in the current setup. If he continues to deliver 2-5 goals and double figure assists then he will be doing very well.

Gerrard was a permanent fixture in the Liverpool midfield in various roles and his most productive strike rate was under Benitez. Under Houllier, Gerrard had averaged 5-6 goals and 8 assists in all competitions each season. Benitez transformed him into the player that scored double figures every season (13, 23, 11, 21, 24, 12).

The transition of Kimmich from right back to midfielder for Bayern is probably the closest comparison for a potential transition for Alexander-Arnold. At full back Kimmich delivered 2-7 goals and 17-19 assists each season. As a midfielder, he has delivered 3-6 goals and 12-14 assists in the past two seasons. I think that has been a successful transition but the numbers would suggest that the team may have been better served with him remaining in the full back position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I see more Bellingham rumours, a keita type deal where we don't get him till next year, little to back it up, just speculation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,091 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Some talk of Van Den Berg going on loan to Bournemouth for the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

So Tyler Mortons loan move is on hold due to injuries in our squad

Ox is the only midfielder injured, Surely then we are looking to bring someone into midfield if we plan to laon out Morton??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Again that makes no sense and benefit to Dortmund when his value will likely be higher next summer. Keita deal only worked because he had a release clause the following summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I agree with you, and don't see this happening, but...

...next summer he'll have a year less on his contract, could conceivably pick up an injury, even drop off his level. It's not out of the question we could arrange something. But, like I say, I agree with you, it's just a fun thought during preseason 😋

Dortmund will be hoping Jude has a massive world cup, if he does his price will sky rocket 🚀

We have been patient before for the right player, I think it could be 2024 before Bellingham is signed, I just hope that there isn't tunnel vision leaving us short of options till they sign him or someone else does.

The thing with Bellingham is I don't think Liverpool mind paying the transfer fee whatever that may be.

The issue will come down to wages If he is being offered £350k+ a week from City, Man U, Chelsea, Madrid, Newcastle, PSG then Liverpool will be out of the running as there is no way they will pay him that kind of wage straight off the bat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,091 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The biggest issue is that Dortmund don't want to sell him this summer.

Is he that good yet? He's only 19 and playing in an inferior league. No doubt the English factor has inflated his reputation. He hasn't completelty wowed me anyway when I've watched him. He seems to be incredibly hyped.

Also, I can't imagine he'll be offered big wages for us. If money is a massive factor he'll probably get better offers elsewhere.

It wouid be nice to grab young talent, at the right price,but he's probably best staying where he is to develop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Would be a blow to lose Firmino at this stage. Still has more to give, losing Mane, Minamino, Origi is enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

This.

I'd be absolutely flabbergasted if we do, simply not the way we do business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

While Klopp is in charge of this club, I’m confident we could sign most players on a lower wage than they could get elsewhere, and that rings even more true for Bellingham who’s made no secret of the fact that Gerrard is his idol and would surely love the chance to be our next legendary number 8.

The question is how much less he’ll settle for. If City and United are prepared to offer him 350k a week, could we get him for 200k? Even that’s a bit of a stretch for a 19 year old in our wage structure.

Still, it’s a transfer I believe we’re in a strong position to make. It sorts a position in the starting 11 for the short, medium and long term. FSG will pay a huge transfer fee for that reason, I’m quite confident about that. As others have said, it’ll come down to wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭RedCardKid

Lads Bellingham is on about €3million per season max at BVB and that is taking into account his pay rise last season. Liverpool should be in a position to better that, it will come down to two things which will be, the price BVB want and secondly where the player wants to go. BVB have a history of selling well and buying even better, so it will mean LFC will have to pull off a blinder to get him cheap. Add to that, Real Madrid have been sniffing around the lad for two years now, which will drive the price. The advantage LFC have in all of this is that the people around him seem to be very career and not money orientated.

It will not come down to wages only, a bigger factor will be if he is going to play and be put into an environment allowing him to step up a level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I get the impression it's klopp he wants to play for..am confident he will be our player next year.

Also if we were to sign Bellingham I think we also need to sign a 24/25 year experienced midfield player as well

Milner will be retired next season, Ox will be gone, Hendo 33 next season. Thiago 32 next season

Naby who knows really.

That really just leaves Fab who will be 29.

Bellingham 20, Elliott, 20 Carvahlo 21 Jones 22 that is a very young and inexperienced midfiled you would really want to be blending them in together over 3/4 seasons.

This does look tasty though,

----------------------------Fab--------------------------------

Elliott----------------------------------------------Bellingham

-----------------------Carvahlo--------------------------------

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Does it? 2 of those players are completely untested at the highest level, apart from a few games here and there and the Bellingham has only played in the Bundesliga, a league that is clearly inferior to the Prem. What I see when I see that lineup is Fab and a bunch of untested players. We have had the best player, or close enough to it, in every position in our starting 11 for years now and you are equating players with potential to that?

Sure, it could be tasty but none of us really knows that yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Ive seen Bellingham run the show a few times in the Champions League. He's had 1 decent season as a 17/18 yo and a very good season as an 18/19yo. IMO he's better than Gerrard was when you compare ages. Granted I've only seen Bellingham a handful of times but from what I've seen I think he's gonna be a monster if a midfielder when he hits 22/23 and failing any major injuries he's gonna be a top midfielder capable of playing in any team in Europe for 10+ years.

None of that really matters to Liverpool for now tho because there's zero chance of him signing this year and only a very minor chance of him signing next season due to the finances it'll take to get him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Right ok but sure from what I saw of Naby Keita in the Bundesliga he was gonna be one the best box to box midfielders in the Prem after we signed him and Jadon Sancho was gonna be a world beater too as was Timo Werner and the list goes on and on, in fact I would say the list of players that failed to live up to their potential coming from the Bundesliga to the Prem is a much longer list than the list of players that succeeded. And Elliot and Carvalho only played in the championship.

All Im saying is I dont think these guys are anywhere near the standard of the guys they are replacing in our first team is all...they may in the future or they may not, we just dont know yet one way or the other

Post edited by mormank on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

To be fair though, Naby has shown immense ability at times - which is kind of how he was in the Bundesliga too. Was brilliant the season we paid for him, but more mercurial in the season before he actually joined. And Sancho has been at an absolute mess of a club who have refused to set up the team in a way that suits him - he's not a flying winger like Sane or Diaz - he's a technical player who does a lot of linking up with the players around him more like Bernardo Silva almost, and he was stuck playing with football's ultimate narcissist in Ronaldo, and even a guy like Bruno who as good as he is, likes to do things by himself. I'd still take Sancho in a heartbeat, reckon he'd be unreal for us.

Even Werner's actually been excellent in general play - except his finishing, which has just totally deserted him.

The jump from the Bundesliga is definitely a big'un, but I still think it's a league where great performances can be a decent indicator of what they may do in the PL - every transfer even within the same league comes with risks of settling into a system that works for them though. All of these players stood out in teams and systems that suited them, allowing them to shine. We've seen that Bellingham can look brilliant against Man City for instance, in a team that works for him. As a club, Liverpool have generally been very good at not just identifying good players, but the right players for how we intend to use them.

Its a huge amount of money for a young fella, you are paying mega money for a very good player you hope will develop into a great player. After the last WC Dele Ali was the most valuable young player in the world. JB looks to be a much better player, but at least one more season with BVB would suit his development.

After Werner & Sancho im wary of any players coming from Germany ,

I think Jude wants to come to Liverpool he seems to have a very close bond with Hendo whenever you see him with England i think he knows Liverpool is is next club ,

We need another CM in my opinion , another ball winner with legs, I hank we should do it this year,

next year we will lose OX, Milner and possibly Keita & Hendo & Thiago will be pushing on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Bellingham will be worth it, 100-120m for a player who will be in your midfield for possibly the next 10 years. He's going right to the top, he has all the attributes and for 19 there is so much maturity to his play. I hope he does want to play for Klopp and isn't solely driven by money as you can't deny he will get much bigger offers thrown at him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Some reports coming out today that Juve are interested on Firmino. Really hope the club don't sell. No way we'd find a replacement for him for that kind of money.

• Advertisement

Can't see the club selling without a replacement lined up ,

The problem is you need to sign a CF who will be happy playing second fiddle to Nunez,

He is on the last year of his contract so you never know, I don't see a long-term extension of his contract, maybe an extra year, he is doesn't score enough goals, works very hard for the team though, contributing some great passes and as said he would be very difficult to replace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

If he want's one more big payday / challenge the same way Mane did and the club are happy to cash in on him rather than let him leave FOC next May we may find that Jota is in fact his replacement. With Nunez clearly the #9 and Diaz clearly preferred on the left Jota is already battling with Firmino to be backup to Nunez. If Firmino does go Jota will get lot's of game time rotating with / covering for both Diaz and Nunez.

Might be a case of prioritising keeping jota, elliot /carvalho are quite attacking and could play more forward for cup games keeping the squad happier, would like to see him replaced if leaving, Klopp says he prefers a smaller squad but with five subs we will need options.

IF Bobby goes he HAS to be replaced

Wed have gone from 7 attackers who all played and scored plenty last season to just 4 ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

If Firmino was sold I'd rather another winger or someone who can play all across the front three and have Nunez and Jota as the options through the middle. Jota is at his best between the posts, decent on the left but his best position is in the middle.

Klopp did say in an interview on Sky (I think) that we're done making signings unless someone leaves or we get major injuries, so I'd expect us to sign someone if Firmino did leave.

Probably easier to find another young inside Forward and as you say leave Jota & Nunez for the 9

Isn't there a certain Portuguese chap who plays CF looking for champions league football at the minute , ha ha

Actually id love to see us sign Pedro Neto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I'm hoping that Portuguese CF stays where he is. Implosion and hilarity looms if he does and ends up where he should be, on the bench.

Leicester fans seem so content with owners, but since Rodgers has gone in they've not spend a dime, even this window no one.Rodgers net spend must be close to ZERO there.

He was backed somewhat at Liverpool, but his signings mostly failed, bar some of course. God only knows what he absolutely showed no interest in Spurs job when it was available, and publicly made that very clear.

It would have been interesting to see him at a top club like Spurs, but it looks like they'll just continue to milk Vardy and hope to survive, Shirley Tielemans will leave this window, before walking for free in 11 months. Of course, looks like we now want Jude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

since Rodgers has gone in they've not spend a dime

That's certainly not true - they have had a negative net spend every season. Last summer they spent around £60M on players without any outgoings. Without European competition this season they probably feel the need to trim the squad before spending further. They have been quite happy to talk up prices for the Belgian midfield contingent but there are no takers for either Praet or Tielemans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

No way do I want Bobby to leave at all, if he's happy to be more of a bit part player going into his thirties then that would be great, if he wants a final payday also I would totally get that aswell...

Call me sentimental but I want him here for another few years at least...

He's such a versatile player, I think they will drop him further back (position wise) in later year's...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Brendan Rogers.... Net spend.... Is it 2014 again lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Juve fans don't want Firmino, that's for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Why wouldn't they be content? They are a mid-table team that has won the league and FA cup in the last 7 years. That is more than Arsenal and Tottenham, two of the big six. Their owners are spending money and backing the manager. Rodgers has spent around 230m euro since his arrival and sold two players for 137m euro in Chilwell and Maguire. He has been backed but they are over performing where you expect them to be.

• Advertisement
Advertisement