Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Darren Clarke - 2011 Open Champion, 2022 Snr Open Champion

Options
  • 25-07-2022 10:58am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Surprised no Clarkie thread.

I honestly thought his winning days were behind him so respect for the 2022 Senior Open Major win

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Fair play to him - nice to see him smiling again.

I know Darren has had tough times in his life - but I think the public fell a bit out of love with him again after the Ryder cup.

Let us be honest - when he is going to be head to head with Padraig - we all know where the public support will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,970 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

delighted for Big D.

good title also because I was racking my brain trying to work out when he had won the Open. I had settled on 2012, so you saved me looking it up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭blue note

I thought his winning days were behind him too, I didn't expect to see him win a senior major. Fair play to him. Hopefully he can have a run of form on the senior tour now.

It's strange that we've fallen out of love with him so much. GMac fair enough because of the LIV golf stuff. But what has changed with Clarke? We were all massive fans when he won the open and throughout his career really. Harrington is about the most likeable golfer in the world, so pitting the two against each other it's fair enough that we'll lean towards Padraig. But if Harrington wasn't running him close I don't think he'd be getting much of a mention in the Irish press anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I've always liked him, he made a special RC in Ireland even more special given his bravery on hitting the course at a most difficult time in his life

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Seriously. One of the best ball strikers with irons in his day. I'd still watch the man puring shots now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,915 ✭✭✭Xander10

Pleased for him. He always looks so relaxed on link courses. Nice to see Harrington first out to congratulate him.

Darren like us all, has his good and very grumpy days. He can get very spiky and tetchy with people, especially if he is in a foul mood, particularly with the media.

Great ballstriker though and only for a far too frequent cold putter he would have won more than one major on the main tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,945 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Great to see him get the win and it's a big win too. Hopefully we'll see him back at Irish opens.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,487 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Met him socially and played with him a number of times, he can be far more than “very spiky”. Good to see him winning, didn’t see any of it but he played very well by all accounts.

Why haven't we seen him at the Irish open? Surely he'd get in on an invite if he wanted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Clarke is not playing on the main tour anymore, and anyway lives in the Bahamas. I doubt if he would be bothered coming back to play in the Irish Open. The purses on the Seniors tour in the US would probably be higher. So a bit like Rory I'd say.

Not seeing him at the Irish open doesn't help his popularity here.

I'd say the Irish open purse is a fair bit higher than the seniors tour (it's fairly decent) but he could probably make more on the seniors tour because the competition isn't as strong.

who fell out of love with him?

i think you might be mixing that up with the simplicity of out of sight, out of mind. I don't think its fair to say there was any falling out

that temperament earned him a disparaging nickname which may or may not have been used to his face, but i've never heard it mentioned on public forums so i'll be keeping it under wraps for now. i think he has mellowed quite a bit though over the years, age tends to do that with most people i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭big_drive

Always been a few stories around about him being nasty enough to people behind the scenes while putting a different reputation out there when dealing with media etc. So I'd say plenty wouldn't be big fans for those reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

What he tried to do to McGinley (Who was supposedly one of his best friends for years at that time ) by backing Monty in the Ryder Cup captaincy race definitely changed people's perception of Clarke. At the time McGinley would have been pretty popular (less so now due to his work on Sky), as would Clarke. But that was the moment when we got a flavour of the type of fella Clarke really is and the majority of the public had sympathy for McGinley and Clarke had egg on his face when Monty didn't get the gig anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭mcardler

So Clarke backed the man he thought was best for the job (Monty) over a fellow countryman whom he thought to be less suited? Oh My, what a shocking, disloyal, treacherous decision - shame on the FAI for choosing Jack Charlton as Ireland boss when they had the likes of Eoin Hand and Dunphy around!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

That's not what happened IIRC, he said he was backing McGinley then without any heads up put his own name forward, then when he dropped out instead of going back to McGinley said Monty would be a better captain, maybe I'm wrong in that...and the saga "concluded" with a written apology from Clarke to McGinley

• Registered Users Posts: 86,243 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

A good win for him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Wasn't a links, certainly had the look of one, but is an inland course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭benny79

I doubt hes to bothered. He be one that would definitely play on LIV if he was younger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Advertisement