Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Note Post #1 - The 2022 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,393 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Yes cause it really has improved the game right?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,421 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I would generally agree that the mark rule is a bit meh, but two of Clifford's catches yesterday were excellent given the circumstances. One of them he soared above two men, landed on his arse and probably have been bottled up and conceded a free out had the rule not existed. So in that regard, the catch probably merited a score.

But yeah, Geaney's was ridiculous, and there have been a multitude of instances since it was introduced where a fella caught the ball a couple of inches off the ground and took the subsequent mark. That doesn't make for a great spectacle either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Kerry could start to dominate the decade now. They got the monkey off their backs. They are the one team that always come back and win and beat a team that might have an upper hand over them in the end. They do everything right in the county in that if a manager or players aren't delivering they are gone. No wonder they are so successful. The winner of this All Ireland was never in doubt. I think Kerry will have over 40 All Irelands by the end of this decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Yes it has! Unless you'd prefer if Kerry handpassed the ball laterally for 5mins at a time until the Galway defence slip up and Kerry can get a shot away

We were treated to plenty of great kickpassing and fielding yesterday because of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Rewarding a basic fundamental skill of football is a sign of how things have gone.

Tom Parsons is a standout for me in that he rarely ever kicked a ball.

If you're going to keep the mark, I'd suggest having it inside the 21 only, it has to be caught at head height.

A 20m pass into the stomach of an attacker does not deserve a free shot at goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,278 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I don't get the hatred for the hand pass over the bar for a point.

It's can be a very smart play when it's used.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Bit of context here.

The last time Dublin played Kerry in championship, they drew the first game before winning a close second. This time round they were very unlucky not to draw the semi. Thats a small margin. And they were without a marquee forward on the day, arguably their best player and main goal threat. They are not that far away from their 'old levels'.

Farrell had a good year and Dublin will be a threat next year, they have a good chance of winning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,296 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Thought Galway had it but the paucity on their bench was the difference in the end. Enjoyable final for the neutral.

Clifford will always know there was a better player on the field on the day. Superb contest between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,572 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Farrell got relegated and lost his first big test in the championship.

• Advertisement

If you are rewarding players for basic skills like catching a ball, football is in bad way.

Handpassing over the bar is not smart it's the easy choice really.

Kick passing has not improved either.

The fact people thought yesterday was good game says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

I'd actually disagree with you on the fisted point. In this era of tight defences, to be able to work the ball that close to goal should be rewarded by the option of a fisted point. Usually, attempting to kick a point from within 12 - 14 yards will be easily blocked due to lack of space.

Dublin almost beat Kerry, and if they had, would have been reasonably strong favourites in the final.

As things stand, they were the second best team in the championship this year - and a close second - and that was playing without Con O'Callaghan.

Yes they got relegated. Not sure how much they care.

Plus, its a skill in its own right.

The basic skills of football are all actually a lot harder than they look.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,247 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Personally I don't mind the fisted point. I thought Spillane's was a good score yesterday, a different skill of taking on and beating a player close to goal etc... If they weren't allowed, he would probably have recycled the ball away from goal. And there's enough of that in the game.

But as someone who does mind it, what are are your thoughts on the palmed goal (from a handpass)? I would sooner see that go than a fisted point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I hate palmed goals. Make it a fist. Palmed goals just look like throwing the ball into the net to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

A really enjoyable final where the better team won out in the end can't ask for anymore than that really. Two of the finest individual performances I've seen in an All Ireland final in an awful long time Clifford and Walsh it was an absolute pleasure to witness both at the peak of their powers. Cillian McDaid deserves an honourable mention as well great stuff from him best midfielder in the country this year.

The winning and losing of the game was the difference in quality and the usage of benches by both teams Galway only bringing on 1 sub is ridiculous surely there are 20 county standard footballers in Galway? they were out on their feet with 10 to go like? Are the Galway subs really that poor? Or is it poor management by Joyce? Sometimes you just need fresh legs. Outside of Killian Spillane the Kerry subs weren't upto much either but they added much needed legs into the team at a crucial time.

Would get rid of that too. Makes it too easy to score

• Registered Users Posts: 21,247 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Same, just doesn't sit right with me. Would also agree with your suggestion that a mark be changed to inside the 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,278 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I don't think Dublin started 2022 not caring if they got relegated or not.

They most certainly didn't want to get relegated.

They are currently a Div 2 team that have failed to make an All Ireland final two years inna row after contesting the last 6.

They may be regarded the second best team in the country by some but are far from the force they were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

The reason the mark came into play is because teams are now more risk averse. If you got rid of the mark there would be a lot less kicking in favour of safer but slower buildups - overall it would be a worse spectacle

• Registered Users Posts: 26,572 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I wasn't a fan at first but it has worked in forcing teams to come out and attack the man with the ball rather than crowding the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

They're certainly not the force they were that's for sure but they lost an All Ireland semi final to the eventual winners by a point without their best player so they're not far away at all.

There's one concern I can see for Dublin next year there are 3 great men leaders and players that must be considering retirement now James McCarthy, Mick Fitzsimons and Johnny Cooper they'll struggle to replace them.

Which is worrying cause its already poor..

You can list off the decent games in couple fingers at most.

I appreciate what you say though I just don't think it has made it better in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

That is a bit like saying how long is a piece of string teams set up differently against different sides.

But the game surprised me at how open it was. Kerry had a load of chances they fluffed in the first half it seemed to be eating away at their confidence and the supporters in patches of that first half. But Kerry still managed to hang in there and get level a few times.

Maybe someone can correct if I am wrong but I don't think Kerry were two ahead until around the last part of the second half. But yet the scores in the second half 0-13 Kerry v 0-8 Galway.

I think 17 points or less would win plenty of games for teams like Donegal who if set up cagey and get the balance right with the attack. It is one of the reasons I am curious as to how Donegal do post Bonner. He restricted that Donegal team way too much. If managed properly they have a few AI's in them.

When Dublin were flying wasn't the phrase you have to score 20 plus to beat Dublin. And Dublin were economical with effort very few wides or hail mary shots. I feel that that Galway did something similar economy of effort not many wides. Not much wasteful stuff like Mayo constantly do dropping ball into the opposition keepers hands, sloppy wides, shooting from silly angles.

Obviously Walsh was the exception it did not matter where he decided to shoot from the last day, it was likely a score.

Mayo only scored 13 points v Kerry in the SF. The way Mayo shoot (and panic) in AI finals - I would guess that 17 points would beat Mayo if they played in a final.

I feel Joyce got the last ounce of effort out of that Galway team, he was very close to causing one of the biggest shocks in the last 20 years of Gaelic football. Mainly because he is tactically flexible and astute unlike other managers who only know one way of playing.

There are not many managers who do that even historically Jim Gavin did it for Dublin, O'Connor has done it for Kerry. Showing tactical flexibility and getting a team success with it.

It is a thing that holds back Ulster football they all copy each other and end up playing the same tactically, damn all variation. Then Ulster football is held up as a great championship mainly because the games are close. But the reality is IMO that they are one dimensional tactically. The irony is that the Ulster football, 'classic style' is very successful in ladies football. Which has been borrowed by the Meath ladies football team.

1) Funnel back - keep it low scoring

2) Don't take risks

3) Hit teams on the break/counter

4) Scoring backs and a workhorse full forward integral to the system

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

He was Dublin's most consistent player this year though. Great game against the AI champs Kerry. I am not sure how else you can judge it. Munster and Leinster have very weak teams in them.

Funny enough you mention the league it should be used a proper barometer. Personally I think a team of the championship never makes much sense, due to the lop sided nature of it. The All Stars end up being silly, there is sympathy votes, political votes, players moved position to 'accommodate' them etc. If a fella announced his retirement it would increase his chances of being picked. Other times they very obviously try to 'balance the books' by picking x number from each province as a starting point. Not regarding ability and level of opposition faced

Personally I think there should be teams named for div 1, 2, 3 and 4 named as the league star awards. Then an overall team picked from the most impressive players from all four divisions. Throughout the year players should be awarded points for performances each team weighted based on level. Factor in championship as well as league. So Kildare beating Dublin would get much more points than if Kildare beat Louth. Much better system, a continual assessment type thing.

Now I know some will say the 'league is the league'. That is not true anymore it is a real barometer of teams performance. Who won the league this year? Kerry. Who won Sam = Kerry. Which team has rocketed up the leagues in recent years = Derry. Who was the big relegation shock this year = Dublin.

And the last time a div 2 team beat a div 1 team to win Sam was in 2002 when Armagh beat Kerry!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Mccarthy is probably dublins best ever player, but on this season he didnt deserve a place because he just didnt play enough games. T osullivan should go in at corner back and he has been shafted truth be told. Silke can be shoehorned into the halfback line if they so wish, as that is where he had his best game. He is lucky enough to get in also to my mind byt we know how the thing works. It feels like mccarthy is there to keep up the quota of dublin players in the team also.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Score was 16 each in 67th minute

Galway had no bench at all which was ultimately the difference on the day. What Galway could have done had they been able to bring on a Tom Flynn or Peter Cooke or Éamon Brannigan in those last 15.

Not sure why Dessie Connelly hasn't got a look in since the league game in the Hyde is baffling too. He tore Derry apart in the league

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Really enjoyable final in the end, Galway pushed us all the way in fairness. Just the lack of depth and a little cuteness caught them. We said before the match that the bench was a big advantage to kerry and it did prove decisive in the end. It haunted us for for years so we know the feeling.

I said before the match that Galway would need to score 2 or 3 goals to beat us and that's where I think they slipped up. They had their homework done and we're consistently able to pull our sweeper thaigh Morley out of position, but they played Comer to far out the field for the most part and could've get him on ball when he stayed in. He's the big goal threat. And when he was being handled handy enough we were halfway there.

Galway got an awful lot right but they needed it all to go 100% to succeed. There full back line and keeper are still a big problem for them, even when they were going well in the first half! There kickouts were poor enough.

What age is McDaid? Wow what a performance, when Galway were 2 points down in about the 63rd minute shortly before the free that some (not all) Galway supporters including Joyce and O'Neill are complaining about, he went on a run and won a free for what was a old fashioned shoulder to shoulder. Walsh tapped it over and McDaid followed up with another super point to level it up.

I was on here admiring and singing Shane Walshs praises before the Derry match and my god did he deliver on the big stage today. A joy to watch in full flow.

Hopefully Galway can address the few issues they have a give it a right go next year, there very close already. But there's no denying kerry deserved it this year, we had to go through Mayo Dublin and Galway to win it and you would have to put this 3 teams in the top 5 in the country with Dublin still almost (but not quite) at number 1.

A interesting championship next year for sure, but for now! There can be only one and we'll enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭john9876

Graham O'Sullivan the Kerry corner back

- Held his man scoreless

- Scored a point

- Got 5 assists

Pretty impressive for his first season making the team.

Advertisement