Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bray Air Display 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 tzn

To be honest it also helps if a country who hosts an air display/show (this here was called display) has a bigger air force / armed forces and/or NATO airbases I believe. Belgian air force / army is pretty large compared to the Irish, hence they might have better connections to get this done with all those aircraft. And who knows what else is involved to arrange those lineup.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Holy **** just seen what looked like a Lancaster or Flying Fortress or something flying over my house.

Dublin Rathfarnham.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Just went over my head.

Ah well.

Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere but some utter gobshite decided to launch his Mavic mini drone during the Silver Swallow display. (this was up near the chopper pad area on the slopes to the South)

Airshow staff and Gardai were very quick to appear and start looking for the moron. Drone confiscated on the spot. Guy wasn't a teenager either. (I was tempted to take a pic of him at the time but didn't)

Regarding a couple of posts complaining about lack of Portaloos.... There were 2 big blocks of them south of the Army MOWAG display, close to the Starnd apartments. Maybe 12-16 in each block. Typical festival/gig type, but serviceable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

Lovely sound off it as it flew over Killiney... Safe home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I heard the drone issue reported on the display frequency..... The Executive helicopter pilot reported it to the control and they organised a search for the operator. The heli pilot (on the ground at the public pad) kept an eye on it and reported it's position while the swallows displayed. He also called back to say that the operator had been found and the Gardaí were having a word with him.

Good to hear that his drone was confiscated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭GBX

The idea of having to in Baldonnel would be an even worse logistical nightmare. Not enough public transport options. While getting to and from Bray by all sounds terrible, there is no way they could have it in Baldonnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭test account 123

My understanding is ever since a very near miss at an air display a good few years back it was decided on a H&S basis to only have them at sea. I used to attend them as a kid in Baldonnel in the 80s. Different times back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

• Registered Users Posts: 12,243 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

They have had it at Baldonnel. Quite successfully I might add.

It would limit the numbers to those by car and bus. But since the Bray and the Public Transport can't handle the numbers out there. That would seem to be a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

You can't shift the blame for the sub standard transport etc on to "people being people"

When organising an event of that size you have to take account of human behaviour and try mitigate it. From what I saw they failed spectacularly at that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

"The day requires planning and patience by anyone who attends"

Wrong. Leaving the planning up to each individual attendee leads to chaos and danger. If the organisers expected 100k people to attend then it's on them to ensure they know how people are going to arrive, where they're going to be set down, how they are going to make their way to the viewing area, how they are going to be fed/watered/toileted when they get there, and how they are going to get everyone back out in reverse. They have to know how many stewards and security are appropriate, what the difference between security and stewards is, where they need to be, and how bad elements are going to be dealt with. It's on them to understand the geography of the area and how they are going to deal with each of the challenges it presents. They should know how they are going to deal with queuing enforcement.

Leaving it up to the individual to behave sensibly doesn't work because crowds don't behave sensibly, and if they're constrained, delayed, and uncertain that leads to panic, crushing, accidents and violence. Leaving people stuck in the heat in a 2 hour wait for transport with no water, food, or facilities, where they feel they can't leave the 2 hour queue without risking not getting their place back, is dangerous and stupid.

Things aren't best for things like hell and back, but that only affects one end of the town and is a tiny crowd by comparison. The organisers of this seem to think they should be held to a similarly low standard.

As to the comment that air control were constantly juggling to "do their best" doesn't make the argument that the poster thinks they're making. It points to a lack of clear, decisive decision making and forward planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Just on the picture of all the rubbish.

The highlight of my day was one of the lads that was obviously working the litter duty passed by us, he saw some big pile like the pic above in the post from jeffk.

He looked at one of the other workers and I heard him say

"**** this, I'm going up to the boss to tell him to shove it up his hole" and walked off.

I was in stitches 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

I notice you went to Baldonnel to see the Lancaster & Hurricane arrive, but no Spitfire?

Since when was the Spit left out of the Battle of Britain memorial flight, or was the Spit never meant to be there in the 1st place?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭moonshy2022

Baldonnel air spectaculars stopped happening after the airfield was left in absolute shite after the last one was held there. Organisers failed to have anyone to clean up to allow flight ops to recommence on the Monday. In the end the Air Corps had to get all their own staff to spend at least an entire day cleaning up to allow flight ops. The Air Corp after this said never again.

Thats why they stopped being held there. Since then nearly all the farm land west and south has been sold off and developed on. This used to used for the car parking and for the spectators and food, stalls etc. They now no longer have the room to hold a large air display. Also public transport options are limited to the area.

Realistically any large scale air display needs to be held in Shannon. The only airfield quiet enough and the potential space to allow this. Also huge amount of road access routes.

Certainly limit the crowds.

How about knock...

Middle of no where on smaller main roads. Area just wouldn’t be able to handle potential numbers in and out. It’s been a long time since I’ve been at Knock but it’s not a very accessible airfield to have 100000 people in an area near the runway which would be the display line.

Again best place is Shannon for things like this.

Irrespective of what’s said here it won’t move from Bray as all the corporate sponsorship and local money will keep it there.

Also how do you limit number, other than not supporting public transport options as they are doing, to a public non paying event in a public area ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Bring back Galway great times one of my favourite of the Thunderbirds below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DTAWfFPLr0

• Advertisement

Moving to Shannon limits the numbers who will attend. Knock will do an even better job of it.

Nothing to stop different regions organizing more than one air show if they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I'd love to know who was putting their hand in their pocket for this disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Fair points, except that the decision not to take off after the rain was made by the Red Arrows lead once they taxied to the runway. They operate to strict operational rules and a Hawk is of course a far lighter machine than a large transport. If you look at the Red Arrows' history, they have had several serious accidents over the years, despite a "safety first" culture. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Arrows#Incidents_and_accidents

The fact that one of the team's aircraft developed a snag and couldn't take off for the display complicated matters and delayed their takeoff time. After that the rain intervened and we know the result.

Aircraft are fickle. Older aircraft and Irish weather was always going to pot luck if it all comes off. Not sure why people have an issue with that. Pretty standard at airshows.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Birr Air Display is on August 1st

https://birrairdisplay.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It's less 'people having an issue with' and more 'people being disappointed with'.

People are allowed to be disappointed with an event. This event was disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,814 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Sounds like the whole thing was a shambles. Way too many people in Bray, public transport struggling badly to cope, quite a few people acting like lager louts, poor planning all around.

You'd wonder if the event even has a future at that venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Yep, they are going to run it indoors next year.

😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Except that it has worked reasonably well for several years up to now. Leaving the reduced display aside, what was different this year?

Advertisement