Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed club world cup

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

where is the evidence that if sides from Spain/Portugal/Netherlands were promoted could get near to increasing revenue from what currently exists?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Itxa

It wouldn’t be immediate but in years to come their markets are bigger so the idea is that if it becomes a staple on their TV screens income would also grow with popularity

It would be a long time. Look at Italy for example. theyre 20 years in 6 nations and 12 in pro12/urc/... and how long are we waiting for them to be competitive in some of these/or at least be competiive year on year and Italian rugby before they joined was miles above any of these sides. we do need to help these countries develop more but wwhat you propose isnt what should be done now.

This is an interesting one. In Ireland keeping our players at home is possible because the opportunity exists to play in the 6 nations for your country. Who’s to say if the Georgians were included in the 6 nations in the format which was used for the 20’s (keep the English, Welsh, Scottish and Ireland in one round robin, France, Georgia, SA*/Argentina, Italy in another and then two game play offs) the Georgians wouldn’t want to represent their country by playing domestically?

*personally I think SA should stay in the Rugby Championship

I think if we are talking in terms of decades, then yes, what you're saying makes sense. I don't think the Unions see it those terms though, nor, I think, can the league afford to. The league has a slight credibility problem as it is, adding a range of awful teams won't help it. A side conference with our A sides makes a lot of sense, if a side starts winning comprehensively in it they can apply for membership of the full league etc.

• Advertisement

I agree with that. It’s a balancing act. Credibility has to be balanced with growth potential. More tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

As opposed to the awful teams already in it? Every league has some absolute garbage teams propping it up, URC is no different. Georgia would be much better served pursuing integration with the Russian league, but there's obvious reasons why that's kinda dead in the water

Georgian sides already play with Russian sides in the Rugby Super Cup. No real idea how these sides sit in respect of the internal leagues of either country, (I assume they are composite sides but no idea really).

I think one Georgian side, made up of old pros and young prospects, probably could be "competitive at home" in the URC. it'll be interesting to see if anything comes of the talks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

And so there shouldn't be, a world cup is the chance that the tier 2 clubs get a chance on the big stage

We need to get rid of tier 1/2 tbf and the Georgias etc need to get their chance at "the big stage" far more than the 5/6 weeks of a world cup every 4 years

• Advertisement

Then they need to put the effort in, just like all the other clubs in Europe did at the start of professionalism... Looking at the quality of rugby played and crowds at the European Rugby Championship I think they have a long way to go

Well thats the biggest load of nonsense. Saying they havent put effort in. Theyre not like a club. its completely different and they dont have access to players like the 6 Nations do.

This is a great idea

Sorry, I thought you were talking about the club world cup, you know, like it says in the title???

As I say the idea for a club world cup is a sound one, but the way world rugby want it makes very little sense

I'm not certain but aren't the Georgian clubs etc locked out of the world club cup competition?

It's just another attempt by the elites of the game to keep things for themselves. I don't think the clubs from either the Georgian domestic league or the Rugby Super Cup could be competitive in any such competition but we'll never get to see either way.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It's got nothing to do with World Rugby. It's the English clubs at it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

it might be sacrilege, but instead of taking the champions cup out once every four years for a euro championship.........id prefer something like that to replace the 6N in non-rwc/lions years and have the 6N every second year. will never happen obviously but when that nations cup thing was happening in 2020, it did make me think that if something like that could be integrated in a global calendar (also never happening) every second year if could be good for 'lower' tier countries

never happening but just a thought

The proposed format they would be, yes, along with clubs from MLR. However the format that I suggested earlier they wouldn't be.

That is to say a competition where the group stages consisting of the other clubs would be run at the same time as the Champions Cup/Super Rugby seasons and the top 2 clubs from those group stages would go through to semi finals with the Champions Cup/Super Rugby champions

Not a bad idea but a lions tour only involves 5 nations so shouldn't really be on the same level as a lions tour... On lions tour years I'd nearly prefer to see a combined team from the southern hemisphere (that is to say the SH nations not involved in the lions) playing against France

• Advertisement

You might be right, but considering the format if implemented this year would involve just 3 English clubs I think it's coming from New Zealand via World Rugby

Unless the 8 Champions Cup teams are numbered 9-16, the English would be able to target huge numbers of clubs in that section 🤣🤣🤣

yep i shouldve mentioned that if the 6N went biennial then something like your suggestion or even just expanded tours would have to happen

rather than what seems to be being proposed id much prefer something like that and then just have something like the world club challenge in league where the super league and NRL winners play each other every year, alternating countries for hosting and i think its been expanded recently so the runners up play each other too. could be just between the heineken and super teams - 1st plays the alternate 2nd in the semis and then have a 3/4 game along with the final, or could just be the winners of the URC, French, Super and English comps.

Basically i dont like the format of whats being suggested

off topic but also think the tour timings should be swapped - NH host in June/July and SH host in November

Yeah either of your suggestions would be a really interesting tournament in my opinion although without even the ability of the lower tiered clubs to participate it wouldn't be a competition worthy of the word "World" in it's title. The French/URC/English/SR split would also be a more fair split than 7 from SR and 2 or 3 from each of the other 3 leagues

Have to disagree with your last suggestion though, rugby is a winter sport

I'm not against changing things up in the 6 nations but we'll never see it fully dropped in any year because it's the thing that finances NH rugby.

A European Championship in the November on alternating years to the RWC is workable, there's already a test window there, do something with the pools so it's not just the 6 nations being re-run.The following 20 European teams are in the world top 40 atm https://www.world.rugby/tournaments/rankings/mru

1. Ireland
    2. France
    3. England
    4. Scotland
    5. Wales
    6. Georgia
    7. Italy
    8. Spain
    9. Romania
    10. Portugal
    11. Russia
    12. Belgium
    13. Netherlands
    14. Poland
    15. Germany
    16. Switzerland
    17. Ukraine
    18. Czechia
    19. Sweden
    20. Croatia

Germany are currently ranked at 30th in the world, for example, but we will never see them play a tier 1 nation in the next decade, maybe even two, unless a miracle occurs in a world cup qualification. World Rugby could solve this fairly quickly by promoting a European Championship. We'd still keep our November tests (Autumn eh?) for 2 out of 4 years to play SH touring sides, we'd keep the RWC and the 6 nations intact too. It's actually a fairly significant gain for the cost of one set of tests every four years, imo. (I stopped at the 40th ranked side because after that you're drifting very fast into sides where the game barely exists.)

yep that could be a good idea too. i suppose my idea would be combined with a global calendar, so the 6N/NH comps would align with the SH/four nations (theyd have a similar tournament bringing in the island sides and japan. usa canada etc would fit into either the NH or SH depending on which would suit them better) and the summer/autumn tours would be kept, although they would switch around

Not an auful idea, but the money raked in by the 6 Nations from the RC teams coming to town in November would be lost so I can't see that as being a runner either

I dunno, it's usually 2 sold out games and a half full game against the minnow of the 3. If a European Championship was a runner, it's probable we'd either do a deal whereby Irish games were hosted here etc, making up some of the shortfall (Ireland v Georgia would never sell out the Aviva but maybe Ravenhill or Thomond?) or maybe a joint advertising/rights approach?

I've been thinking about why there isn't currently a European Championship and it's now, 30 years into the pro era, that's there's probably enough minnows to make it interesting. Obviously the winners would almost certainly be from the 6 nations but the football European championship is dominated by 4 sides (Germany, Italy, France and Spain) and no one seems to mind too much. (Interesting is not the same as competitive, I know Ireland will almost certainly lose if we ever make it to the football European Championships, we're not competitive at that level, but we still all watch.)

Said it before, but I think it would be a great replacement for the Lions tour years. If they had a Euro competition up North, and a similar one down South it would offer a lot more value.

• Advertisement

Would disagree, but it wouldn't have to be a replacement. Could run instead of the usual tours

Advertisement