Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bray Air Display 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I'd say it's just pent up demand after covid lockdowns and no show for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,814 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Was that the first one since 2019? At a minimum, it seems to have been poorly planned for in terms of transport (but then again, you can't legislate for spectators acting like yobs either......people being drunk at an air show or leaving litter all over the place is 100% down to personal responsibility).

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭moonshy2022

I’m not entirely sure you have thought this one through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

I misread that as "Bray Air Display ..." and thought "What, they're going to give it another go this weekend?" 😮

😂

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Definitely pent up demand but from the posts here it sounds also like the scrote brigade from all over Dublin who wouldnt be your typical aviation enthusiasts have gotten wind of it and they showed up for a day of drinking beer and smoking weed. Social media spreads these things like wildfire and suddenly you have an army of scrotes descending on Bray to ruin everyones day.

My last attendance was 2019 and there wasn't much of that stuff going on, it was very much a famlly crowd with some couples in their late 20searly 30s about as well. Alcohol consumption was people having a glass of wine with a picnic on the beach. If the air show has turned into an annual pilgrimage for scrotes to head out to Bray to get pissed and stoned in front of children then it is finished as a family event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Yep, they're going to have to figure out what they want to do with this long term. More buses, policing, toilets, trash cleaning, family friendly,

More planes !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Best option is to never host it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Ah no. It's a good day out, get the kids down the beach and all phone signal disappears. so they have to look. It's still a great day out.

My best year (as a family bonding session 😂) was the Patrouille Suisse flying in with the AL A319. That was great. Going back a bit.

The engine noise, It's all about the noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

If it's alcohol free it's alcohol free

Not judge a person or postcode and decide who can and can't drink on those guidelines

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Been following the thread during the day.

Some interesting comments on planning. Unusually for something in which the Dept Of Defence are involved in, coupled with other military partners and aviation professionals, I am surprised that there was no contingency planning for changing weather conditions.

I was in Bray the previous 2 years and found the setup to be well organised. I genuinely beloved it was one of the better family days out in the Irish summer so surprised to see the shitshow fro yesterday.

Yesterday was a massive "system failure". Irish Rail fucked up with the trains, the organisers fucked up with poor scheduling and lack of contingency planning.

As a long term prospect, you have to wonder about the viability of the show. It has been the same displays for a number of years, barre one year I think when the Italian display team performed. The fact that it is marketed as a weekend event is a joke. It's 3 a hour show on Sunday with quite a few gaps. It's been that way for years but it's free so I can't be overly critical.

On the flip side, when you're trying to put on a "free" public airshow your options are somewhat limited so what can we expect as spectators.

As a kid, we went to airshows in Baldonnel and Abbeyshrule on a number of occasions. They were great events but never free. I remember seeing the Red Arrows in Abbeyshrule on a few occasions and one year they had the USAF perform a mid air refueling with aircraft flying in from Germany I think. There was one year in Baldonnel there was an airshow organised to commemorate what must've been the 70th Anniversary of the Aer Corps. I remember seeing the Swiss/France teams at that. They were out of this world. There is surely a market for a high quality airshow where people will pay to attend and watch high quality displays. I for one would happily pay for a great day out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Portrush and Newcastle were always leagues ahead of Bray, Newcastle didn't happen this year and Portrush is now a Causeway Coast airshow. Newcastle was great because it could be daytripped.

Galway was still the best though.

Airshows sadly changed after the Shoreham crash. Now everything loud and fun is miles away from the crowd for safety reasons. In Galway the display line was almost above the beach, and I distinctly remember a Typhoon aiming it afterburner at the crowd and lighting it. Was great.

But with the Ukraine war and everything like that military funding is moving away from airshows, and the "we cant have any fun" and the overarching climate change issue is stymying airshows.

In general, a lot of things that were fun are now just not happening anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

The "contingency planning" with regard to the aircraft is to revert to staying on the ground, as aircraft like the Lancaster can't be risked when it's gusting at the airfield and formations like the Red Arrows can only perform a very limited show when the cloudbase is low and it's gusty. really, Irish weather means it's the luck of the draw on the day. Irish airshows are still a great crowd draw because of their relative rarity and because a lot of Southern punters won't go to NI for Portrush. Airshows are largely driven by commercial want because they are one of the few public events that can generate crowds in the order of 100, 000 heads and the people flogging icecream and burgers will milk it to death and the Councils will make a fortune, which is why they try and stretch it to a full weekend. If the sun shines and the aircraft can fly and the logistics work out, everybody wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Yes you can. That's part of the planning. You legislate that a crowd of 100,000 people will include undesireable behaviour, and ensure you have

• Adequate stewarding in the crowd to observe and report
    • Adequate security of sufficient training to deal with the issues reported by stewards
    • Adequate planning with law enforcement to properly react to situations security can't handle
    • Adequate planning to remove people misbehaving and keep them out of the area
    • Adequate planning to reduce overcrowding
    • Adequate planning to create a zone with defined boundaries you can actually control and police
    • Adequate litter bins and cleaning
    • Adequate planning for the movement of people around the site.

None of this is "news" unless you want to excuse the organisers from the idea that the organisers should have learned from the last 30 years of large scale crowd control. People sound like this is the 80's and "oh what can you do once the crowd is here for the football, you can't stop them rioting, ripping the stadium to bits and killing people". Yes, you can. If you plan for it. You absolutely can prevent it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Psychlops

No Fast Air or any type of Jet at Birr.

Il pass. Im all for Airshows but there is only so many spinny props you can look at before you ask "where is the Typhoon or F15"..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Psychlops

IIRC some people over on IMO saying foreign Mil aircraft had their exhausts/afterburner areas used as bins.

• Has there not been Shannon/Foynes air displays in prior years?

Greed wasn't it. And some stellar levels of incompetence. 15 years they've doing this show....

As I was heading out of Dub I saw a motorbike guard at a roundabout just sitting in the shade putting in his hours. And near straight away I hit a wall of traffic. Whoevever put the big sign out on the motorway directing ALL airshow traffice in on J5. What a halfwit. Their was people over on lane 3 stopped and indicating trying to get over! I don't blame them. The other junctions didn't exist on Sunday. I heard after the guards had to come out to sort it when their was 1.5hr tailbacks. They blocked off J5 and sent people to J7. Useless bunch. Someone here said they turned off the traffic lights are were directing....eh Nooooo. Boghall road.....nooooooooo. They sat out their in their car with the lights flashing with big lines of traffic building up and did nothing.

So the guards were useless. No traffic planning at all really.

My brother had tickets for the car park but when he got there their was no spaces. So how many tickets did they sell there. Handy money maker.

He was driving around looking for a spot and some guard directed him into a GAA Pitch and the nasty organisation that it is, they wanted €15 for parking!!! 15e!!! christ. Nasty "amateur" organisation. Bunch of fools playing for free, destroying their hips and knees for a few fat cats in Dublin. I see a couple of yesteryear stars online promoting some bellyfat stem cell treatment trying to get the money together to pay for new knees. They were happy for a clap on the back a few years ago.

Buses - They're wasn't enough, Trains - I see on RTE theirs an investigation to see what Ianrod Eireann were at on the way back after the show, 1.2 hours trains were stopped on tracks in 20+ temps before they opened the doors and told people jump out and start walking. I can tell you now nothing will come from investigation, CEO will give himself a raise maybe.

"Don't judge a book by it's cover" a few of you super model, well educated lot on here would do well to remember that with your belly comments on here.

4 euro for a tea, 8 euro for a hot dog, 8 euro for aliexpress lego you can buy onsite for €1.20. Greed everywhere....

Blue skies all day but the main act held back to keep everyone there for as long as possible and squeez every penny out and then the inevitable rain....

Or maybe that was the idea, I'm assuming no show by reds so their unpaid....win win.

Contrary to belief on here, "juggliling" a small display around is not difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Be interesting to see how this goes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

In previous years, wasn't the show officially over Saturday and Sunday as well? (And Saturday wasn't so clearly a "practice" day).

If I'm remembering correctly, this would have spread the crowds out across 2 days a bit more evenly than this years, all or nothing on Sunday approach.

• Advertisement

• It was indeed, it diluted the crowds just perfectly. The mistake was confining all advertised air activity to Sunday, although likely they did this because of lack of availability/expense of enough displays to fill two days, let alone the one.

May e if they had got the cooperation of nearby Newcastle airfield to have sone simple fly-pasts of bog standard light aircraft flying by bog standard private pilots just to keep the sky filled it might have been an idea. Maybe describe each aircraft, real aviation enthusiasts enjoy seeing aircraft.

Their was never anything to see on Saturdays, prop planes are completely boring over water...crowd wasn't bigger than previous years. It was just badly run by organisers. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Another one with no display line up, is it a guess who turns up on the day.

Be nice to see Gripens so we might appreciate what we might be paying for, 😀

1 plane like carrick on Shannon a few weeks ago no doubt.

Birr line is ok if you don't go to shows, the bi plane is good but they've ramped the price right up to €25, nearly tripled price in 3 years and got rid of the only jet - strikemaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭WealthyB

Having attended 2018 and 2019 there were substantially more people there this year. The queues for everything were a good indicator. Wish I'd taken pictures of the throng but truth be told I didn't want to take the phone out my pocket - the missus felt hands in her pockets 3 times as we walked back up through the crowds to the train station.

Have a few videos but trying out 4k so not attempting to share those

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭Mech1

Looks like a collection of "Where's Wally" pictures, only you gotta find the person smiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭Mech1

I didn't even try to attend Bray, I knew it would be a disaster transport wise.

I live under the flight line between Weston, Baldonell and Bray, so always see the participants passing over either on the way or on the return leg, or both.

I organised a Bbq dinner for the family to eat indoors so I could spend the afternoon in the garden cooking and watching the action above while reading boards and listening to my scanner. I was sorry I bothered very poor aircraft lineup overall and very poor thought put into the timing of sending the reds up.

They could have easily taken off early with extra fuel and held out anywhere waiting to get the call, They don't always operate from a airport 3 min away from the display line.

• Advertisement
Advertisement