Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it too late for Europe and the World. There is fires everywhere.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Where did you manage to dig that piece of crap up from?????

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NiceFella

We have a problem with virtually every westernized countrie too when it comes to climate change.

Canada's tar sands oil extraction is probably the most destructive oil production project on the planet for the environment. That's a liberal democracy for God sake. So maybe these guys aren't that sane either.

The problem isn't about sanity in my opinion, it's greed and ignorance that doesn't subside until its literally too late. All country's need to wake up and stop pointing the finger and get the finger out because we are through if we don't. That's the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheTruth89

The real thing is we consume a mind boggling amount of raw material for absolute unnecessary bullshit year in year out do we need a new fleet of cars every single year? do we need to be relentlessly pumping out iPhone? absolutely not but people need there status fix. On the sheer amount of stuff we use alone it can never be sustained.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Labaik

Same place were the energy comes from to charge all those electric cars?

Lol. The media basically treats the masses like sheep that cannot think for themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

What phone are you using? What car do you drive? How do you heat your home? Etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Is there a how to deal with a climate doom-monger ?

That would go against the narrative surely. A balanced debate with facts from both sides of the argument is sadly a thing of the past in the world of journalists i mean activists.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Shoog

Listen to what he is saying with a real open mind and then agree with him. You are doomed you just don't know enough to realize it yet.

Where do the materials for those items come from or the energy to support the process that makes them or the supply chain to get them to people or the infrastructure required to store them? The necessity for nonsense items and large volumes of it is certainly impacting and driving climate change.

Wont have to worry about an economy if the climate is in a heap, putting the economy first is what's created the situation in the first place but with greed rampant and the need for status more than ever i don't see any of it changing and the papering over the cracks effort to stem climate change is a hollow gesture at best.

You only have to look at Irish society glutenous excessive status driven lifestyles. Look at the size of some of the houses and stuff being built mansions being built only for 2 people and a dog to live in em. And we want to talk about sustainable living? It's laughable.

The whole set up is fucked from the ground up and it will only end in disaster.

• Advertisement

I have a Samsung , drive a big 3.0 diesel and burn turf timber and coal for heating ect

Just because I'm not doing what I'm talking about doesn't make it any less true. And is a strawman attempt at discrediting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Whole agenda made some sense when it was driven by the likes of Greenpeace who tried to go after companies and corporations and fought against pollution.

It completely lost any meaning when it was hijacked by rich people hiding behind countless "non profit" and NGO's who started attacking individuals and blaming the people.

Most of the pollution is caused by companies who are constantly on the rush to maximize profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭monseiur

Predictions of apocalyptic events that would result in the extermination of humanity, a collapse of civilization or the destruction of the planet have been made for 1000's of years. In the past many of the predictions were religious related and often quoted the Bible eg. Last Judgement - The Second Coming of Christ. Others have been theorised by various scientists. Very little research has been done into why people make apocalytic predictioins. Some have beed done to divert attention away from actual crises like poverty, war, pushing political agendas etc. Polls conducted in the UK 7 years ago found that up to 24% beleived that the world would end in their lifetime. Belief in dooms day senarios is observed to be more prevelant in people with low level of education, low household incomes and those under the age of 35 Humans have an innate fascination with fear.

The prevalence of media / communication methods in the modern secular world has created a culture which encourages the embracement of a future that will be drastically different from the present - such culture has given rise in popularity of predictions such as climate change and the rise in prevelance of prophets of doom such as Greta Thunberg who, sadly, has her own mental illness to contend with. Beware of false prophets !

The reality is that our planet is 4 to 5 billion years old (Yes BILLION !) according to the so called experts. It has ''metamorphised'' many times and continues to do so, it's an ever ending process - indeed it can't stand still. Years of boiling hot periods, ice ages etc. have formed the planet we currently enjoy (or not) today. What caused the last ice age and more importantly what caused the climate change that caused that very ice to melt 10 to 12,000 years ago ??? I don't think somehow that human activity had any bearing on it. Certain humans are convinced that they are the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end - the sad reality is that we are, like a microscopic sand grain in the Sahara desert...only passing through.

Ah yes anyone that gives any credence to climate change must suffer from some form of mental illness.. and humans with our mass industry surely couldn't even have the slightest impact on it at all I mean its just outlandish! Producing mass amounts of consumer products and waste ect... Not to mention the world is more on fire than ever before... nothing to see here folks

• Registered Users Posts: 82,808 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Firestarters, twisted firestarters...

Two forest fires that broke out in northwest France last week were caused by arson, prosecutors said today, taking to three the total of deliberately started blazes in recent weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cezanne

All the so called woke eco warriors left a fair bit of rubbish at the music festival called Glasto they preach but they dont practice a bit like Prince Harry ! Love listening to themselves but actually do **** all. I am an older person and do a lot more than any of them. I am careful about water and consumption & litter i burn eco friendly fuel in my stove no oil I cycle and walk. They do nothing but peddle piffle !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

People are concerned about the next 100 years, not the next 1000000. It's going to be pretty **** unless you are insulated by wealth from it all and/or have no kids.

When I was in school in the 90s they told me that the Netherlands would be under water within the next 20 years from climate change and the melting ice caps. Pretty sure its still on the Atlas.

What is a country like Ireland with half the population of New Jersey going to achieve even if it had zero emissions? It would make absolutely zero difference to the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Ah! But the Dutch have been genetically modified. Their fingers have got bigger.

• Advertisement

No we're not doomed at all. The planet is not going to combust. Most of the ice is already displaced. The ozone hole was a natural phenomena. Yes CFC did make it bigger. Unless we get hit by a large enough asteroid were going nowhere.

As I said .. you just don't understand what is happening ... dunning Kruger effect.

I'm not the one shouting doom. Name a reputable scientist that says we're doomed. The most they will say is temperature rise will have an adverse effect on your current lifestyle. Also none will put their name down to how hot it will get only vague notions of if it gets to x.

No one is shouting doom, but you'd have to be pretty naïve to believe we are going in a positive direction or the future is looking all rosy and that the conditions on the planet wont deteriorate further in the future... seems like a pretty reasonable thing to be concerned about considering there are already tangible evidence in a lot of places around the world of climate change...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,297 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I found this kind of scary, crop failures and droughts worldwide. This will become more and more common. Given how reliant Ireland is on imported food not good for us either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭buried

There is fires everywhere tonight in my fireplace because it is cold as F**k. 10 degrees and pi$$ing rain.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Stop swallowing everything you are being fed.

Fair enough all bugs and microbes work hand in hand to produce the ecosystem we have.

What you don't seem to give any thought to is the FACT that we are currently existing in a tiny snapshot of time when considering the overall life of the planet.

It is quite arrogant to preach to all around you that somehow within this tiny flash of time that records have been kept that we have gone from a beautiful clean perfect planet to a planet that is beyond help. The ecosystem we have currently is all we know but I'm sure it has been very different in the past and will be very different in the future. It is a sign of a closed mind to believe what we see in early records to current day is the total life of the planet from perfect to destruction. The reality is that it's just a tiny blip in time.

Do you know what is going to happen if there is a change in the eco system? I can guess at some species no longer existing but how do you know it will not be a whole new improved phase?

Again I believe it's a failure to look at the bigger picture. The ice caps are melting ..... Let's all panic. Ice melted before and left us with a beautiful landscape full of life, much more suitable to sustaining life than that of the ice age.

How do we know that the next stage of the planet might not be even more capable of supporting more life, more energy etc.

Anyone who understand the planet will freely admit that the planet has been very different to how it is now and will be very different in the future. However if you really knew anything of the history of the planet you would acknowledge that there have been 6 mass extinctions which all but wiped out life on the planet. I am not remotely concerned that life will be extinguished on the planet - but that is no solace to me and my family who will not be so lucky in the very near future.

Claiming perspective to justify ignoring events that are happening now is just a form of denial - since that perspective should inform you that human existence is very fragile.

PS - and if you really did understand what is happening in the world because of mans activities you would realise that climate change is the least of our worries ... biodiversity loss is the real crisis and climate change is just one factor in that crisis.

What leading experts in their fields have to say about our situation

https://phys.org/news/2021-01-earth-future-outlook-worse-scientists.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Apparently if we go live in the woods in the dark and eat insects then China/India/Japan/Russia/USA will be inspired to follow suit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

But where is the point that we call ideal? Is it today and all would be good if we could retain todays climate? Is it 100 years ago,1000 year ago or 1,000,000 years ago? Its all well and good quoting figures re the loss of species, wet lands etc but maybe man can survive beautifully on the planet we will have in 1000 years time if we do nothing now? Maybe it will be a better place to live.

Your experts even said 'The problems, all tied to human consumption and population growth, will almost certainly worsen over coming decades.

Almost certainly - is that how scientists present definitive proof nowadays? Also, science might need to look at other behaviours of the human population to see if its having an effect. Land areas burning where green policy prevents maintenance and controlled clearing of tree growth / scrub. This is likely having a bigger effect on the increase in wire fires than any temperature changes yet its all reported as the planet burning up.

Sky news is so full of picture of fires these days that the tv is like a electric fire in the corner of the room.

Advertisement