Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access old public Pension

• 22-07-2022 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi,

I worked in the hse for one year for 2014.

How can I access this old pension?

Post edited by Jim2007 on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,593 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Do you know for sure that you were a member of a PS pension scheme?

Typically, if staff leave before two years, their contribution are refunded.

Otherwise, the pension benefits are deferred.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭spalpeen

Thanks for the response. No actually, I don't know and annoyingly I deleted the last payslip I had. I seem to remember I was paying prsi but now idea if that is indicative or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,066 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

PRSI has nothing to do with it. If you worked only one year it's highly unlikely that you have any pension entitlement. Even if you did it would be a pittance of a couple of hundred a year at most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Green Mile

PRSI is different. Your best bet is to contact the HR team who’ll give you contact details of the pension company they use to manage the pension scheme.

If they haven’t refunded you yet, they’d be more than happy to refund you your employee contributions (if any) as your services was less than 2 years.

You could also check your 2014 P60. If your PAYEable taxable earnings are less than your USCable taxable earnings, it generally means you’ve paid into a pension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,480 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, if you joined the HSE after 2013, you would have been in the Single Public Service Pension Scheme which has a vesting period of two years so if you left after one year, you have no preserved benefits. You can ask for a refund of your pension contributions. I think the reason they don't automatically pay a refund when you leave before two years is because if you did not ask for a refund and you subsequently rejoin the public service, you can restart the clock i.e. in your case, you would be starting with one year's service. So while you have no preserved benefit, you do have preserved service. But that has no value if you will never work again in the public service so you might as well ask for a refund.

All the info. you need is at the link below, including an FAQ and a list of 'pension area offices'. They say that 'Leavers and those who retired prior to 1 January 2010 should contact the area office of the last HSE area where they worked'.

https://healthservice.hse.ie/staff/pensions/single-scheme/

• Advertisement
Advertisement