Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

At least VW agreed to test it. Whether they are going to do anything ab the weak cells is a different matter. But I won’t give up that easily:)

Someone in fb group mentioned that cells were replaced on some cars in Belgium.

This is what my battery is showing after almost 8.5 Months and 32,000 Kms.

It's roughly 3.5 % loss which can be taken with a grain of salt too, I notice no range loss of course, my commutes leave me home with the same charge as I would have from new at similar driving styles. What I didn't get was a reading from new, only today.

Ideally you'd want to run the battery down to 0% and charge it back up and record the Kwh used and subtract 10% maybe for charger inefficiency.

Highest battery cell voltage was 3.84 and minimum was 3.83 taken at 64% charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

Hi,

Looking to do, Galway-Dublin return next week, personally I enjoy the stop in Athlone to break things up. However on the return leg, that isnt ideal. Just looking for people experience on good, easy fast chargers that are reliable. Will be around the M50 (north side), not going near the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

"It's a rather high value, but also the use case was specific: "...the car covered the first 15,000 km (9,000 miles) within the first three months of ownership. At the time, it was charged almost exclusively (90%) at 100 kW DC fast chargers up to full, and regularly discharged below 10% State of Charge (SOC). Later, the usage profile has changed to mostly 11 kW AC and up to 80% SOC."

So which does the most harm , cooking at 100kW or discharge to below 10%

When I bought the car they said <=80% and .=20% so net usable is 60% or 34.8 which is a bit more than my 30 kW leaf... :(

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭kris_2021

I charged from 18 to 91% today almost 42kwh. That would give me around 57.5 kWh full battery. 18k driven in nearly 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I charged from 18 to 91% today almost 42kwh. That would give me around 57.5 kWh full battery.

FYI: You will have charging losses in that 42kWh so not all of it gets to the battery so you don't really have 57.5kWh usable at 100%. Probably the same as most others, you have ~54kWh available.

18k driven in nearly 3 years.

3 years?... <2, I think! 😉

"So which does the most harm , cooking at 100kW or discharge to below 10%"

Neither, the id3 doesn't charge at 100 Kw for any length of time and when plugging in from around 30% and above it won't see more than around 60Kw which is nothing for a 60 and 84 odd Kwh battery. I've never seen anywhere near 100 Kw with the tour 5 but then I have so much range fast charging is very rare but it would be nice to have 130 Kw all the way to at least 70% but that will be wishful thinking probably with 2.4 it won't be much better time will tell but even say 130 Kw until 60% and 90 Kw to 80%, now that would be a real improvement but wishful thinking. Electric cars really need to improve their fast charging times.

Driving down to 10% is no problem or charging to 100% when you need the range use it and don't be worried about it. The well known and proven facts are li batteries last longer the less they are at 100% or at very low charge % so charging to 70 or 80% is a good idea and not letting it below 30% but when you need it don't worry about it, worst of all is leaving it at 100% all day every day or if you're one of those people that charge to 100% drive 5 Km to the shops and back and plug in again and charge to 100% this isn't good.

Temperature is also a factor the cooler the better. Depends on how well the id3 can manage heat when fast charging and how hot it gets and how often it gets to this hot temp.

The BMW id3 has a state of the art cooling system and I rarely saw it go over 30 Deg C and if it did it didn't for long and it quickly cooled to 20 Deg C again. The battery in the i3 2017 was really fantastic, 4.5 years and 140,000 odd Kms later it showed the same 28-29 Kwh that it did when I got it at 9,500 Kms and 9 months old, if the 58 and 77 Kwh id batteries hold up as well they'll make absolutely fantastic 2nd hand cars.

There's no point paying for Ionity or ESB fast charger with the id3 unless plugging in at very low charge then from around 30-40% it would be cheaper to plug out and find a 50 Kw ESB charger or easygo. If plugging in from around 30% charge there's no advantage using Ionity.

yeah meant 2 years :) (ionity cashel is still giving free juice ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Was your 18 to 91 percent charge at Ionity Cashel then?????.

All 4 units were kaput (as Bjorn Neyland would say) on Saturday evening when someone went to use them.

• Advertisement

yeah in Cashel on Sunday. 3 out of 4 were working. there is almost always at least one down in there! i know as i live in Cashel

Post edited by kris_2021 on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

but that will be wishful thinking probably with 2.4 it won't be much better time will tell

Didn't someone on here a few months ago say he was on 2.4, he wasn't a regular so was likely talking sh*te.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Battery lifes latest video today he says 2.4 has given him extra charging speed. Can't post the link at work atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,033 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I think it's really bad if you have to be plugged in at such a low SOC to get high charging speeds but pity he didn't plug in at higher SOC to find out what it would charge at. To think the 77 Kwh might not get update to charging curve until 3.0 is really ridiculous considering it's a larger battery it should be able to take more charging power.

Just did a return trip Cork Dublin in my disabled ID.3. Had a good weather last Friday on the way to Dublin, sunny, 20-21C, tail wind. Stopped at portlaoise plaza for a snack and a top up. 176km at 100kmh gps speed (avg 90kph) and 56% soc. Calc 14x1.76/0.54=45.6kWh battery estimate. Topped up from 46% to 80% - 17.17Kwh charged.

Continued my journey to Dublin. Complete stats - 263km, 83kmh avg speed, 13.7kWh consumption, total soc used 77%. Calc 13.7x2.63/0.77=46.8kWh. I do suspect that soc is not linear which adds errors into calculation as I have not gone below 40% soc due to the topup.

On the return leg last sunday, the weather was not as pleasant due to strong headwind and rain showers all the way to cork. As expected this negatively effected my consumption. I drove to Cashel to eat and top up at 50kw charger as I wasn't sure that remaining 42% soc and 148km GOM would be enough to drive 100km home. Calc 16.1x1.64/0.58=45.5kWh. Charged from 42% to 65% - 12.08kWh.

Got home with 30% SOC. Total stats 265km, 16.2kWh/100km, 79kmh av speed, 93%SOC used. Theoretically i couldve made home without charging but it want worth the risk. 16.2x2.65/0.93=46.2kWh.

So all back of envelope calculations yet again point out that the battery is not well.

Few around town journeys today, twice the folowing happened:

Driving along, and the ID light goes all red and it warns me to brake now, there was nothing that was odd in traffic, then pulling into my drive the car applied the brake freaking out thinking I was about to hit something.

This happened to anyone else, have I some setting done wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,033 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Twas awfully dusty, the rain cleaned? it I had assumed. Perhaps a wipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I imagine the brake now warning would be the radar in the badge giving a false collision detection warning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I have changed the mode on mine a few times over the last few days. It always stays on the last one I picked when I get back into the car.

Set it to Eco yesterday and was on Eco this morning when I got into the car. Strange that it is not doing this in all of them, mine is still on software 2.3

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

It’s not always. It’s literally random. That’s what makes it annoying. You can go 2 weeks in one mode and then just switches. I’m on 2.3 s as well but this has been going on since I got the car (first edition). It’s something in the software. Too bad vw doesn’t let you log faults in their software

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Ah I thought you meant it done it daily. I'll watch for it on my own.

The car does do some random things. I found out to my surprise recently Auto Hold doesn't work if the door is open after I moved the car 20cm and went to get out and the car started to move off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Dropping off in the morning.

* Battery & software

* Puddle lights x 2

* Foggy headlight

* New tyres x 4

* Effing annoying glove box rattle

They called today asking to reschedule as the puddle lights aren't in, but I'm heading that way tomorrow anyway so I stuck with the date.

I suspect that they'll soon discover they're not able to do the lot in a day anyway so they'll have to delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

what tyres you go for and how much VW charging? also, don't suppose you know what depth they at (mine are at 3mm rear, 4mm front - 21K on the clock, bridgestones that came with the First)

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

I think I read somewhere that if you floor it (or nearly) in Eco, it switches to Comfort because you're demanding more power than Eco allows.

The red light happens me a lot usually when cars are parked.

It appears at times that it brakes itself say at pedestrian crossing, I'd pull up and it appears to brake as if it detects someone and brakes hard, same with reversing if it feels I am going to hit something, don't know whether it's just weird brakes or actually thinking for itself. I have the tour 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I have the service pack, so they're free, but I'm limited in my options. I told them I wouldn't accept Bridgestones though, I think it's Goodyear maybe.

As expected, the car wasn't finished today. They did admit that it was their first one and that VW had told them it's at least a 4hr job. I told them that I had seen lots of people being in for 2-3 days.

I've got an ID4 loaner so thankfully no fuel bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Bioscaller

Was in Frank Keane Liffey Valley yesterday. Was checking for a ID3 for the wife and we test driven their Demo model ID3 Tech (211) which is also on sale. 26000km on the clock. The car originally retailed for around 50k according to him and now he is selling it for 39k just after a year. The depreciation is crazy. Driving an ID4 Life myself and was really surprised the price dropped that crazy. Any idea why???

• Advertisement

Did an update flash up for anyone else this morning ?

Nothing major.

Background Devices

Minor improvements

Errors fixed

QR Enrolment

Minor improvements

Errors fixed

Digital manual

Small improvements

Error prevention

We Charge

New filter options and search for points of interest near charging stations

If not updated, the new functions and improvements are unavailable.

Legal Information

Minor improvements

Errors fixed.

Information about over the air updates.

Improved display of further information about ota system software updates using images and text

List of supported languages expanded

So a lot of nothing really.

Advertisement