Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Did the Sri Lankan Dhal and devilled paneer curry from a Times recipe, which is paywalled but they put the paneer up elsewhere at least

Rather hard to do with just a two ring burner and the kitchen table as a work surface, but worked well.

Post edited by L1011 on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Pork char siu type fried rice with the leftover rice from yesterday. Delighted with how it turned out. MSG baby.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

How did you make the char siu pork Dave? I know LKK do a char siu marinade, but I don't have a working oven. Could I hack it by marinading pork chops in the char siu marinade and the cook on the grill? I love char siu pork!

You 100% could - I did. I saw this post here on some other forum or other, and decided to make a version. Substituted brown sugar and honey for the molasses and just plain left out the food colouring. Five spice, garlic, sesame oil, white pepper, shaoxing wine, hoisin sauce and soy mixed with the honey and sugar did it for me. I think I might have thrown in some msg and fish sauce too. It's pretty damn tasty as a marinade/sauce, would be great glazed on the pork under the grill.

Lovely, thanks Dave. I have nearly all of those ingredients at hand.

I do have palm sugar, which I think has a nice caramel type flavour, similar to brown sugar or jaggery. I have been meaning to go hunting for MSG in my local Chinese store. Thanks for the reminder. I don't know why people frown on the stuff.

• Advertisement

Palm sugar is on my list of "to get" ingredients too, next time I've over in Asia Market or ordering online. Helps that their brand is called "Cock Brand Palm Sugar".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

It was just a quick, throw together what's in the fridge kind of sauce.

I used :

1 onion, chopped

3 cloves of garlic, chopped

1 red pepper, diced finely

1/2 tin of tomatoes

2 tbsp of ajvar

2 wedges of cream cheese

1 stock cube

I fried the onion and pepper on a low heat to soften them for ca 1-0 minutes. Then add the other ingredients and simmer until the sauce is nicely thickened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

His and hers portions. Have to trim all the fatty bits of her rib eye! They're the best bits so quite happy to eat them!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Bit of a Fakeaway 😀

Thought I'd bollocksed the beef by leaving it in to too high a temp, but it turned out well enough in the end. Nice aul mushroom sauce and some new potatoes to round it off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

Double Quarter pounder from fx Buckley. Nowhere near as nice as the rib eye cap burgers I get from my local butchers... but nice all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

Sauteed sliced cabbage and diced carrot. In a lot of butter.

Too lazy to cook, and it's quite late, so a Tesco ready meal of lamb rogan josh it will be. Will definitely be better than my attempts at curry anyway :/

hope it was ok

thing I love about "summer" is that I can get away with cooking less.. love salads and crave em when its warm.. fav ingredient is beetroot.. love the stuff..

have the fridge stocked with all kinds of salad-y stuff.. so can just bung em together in the eve,.. and a cooked chicken goes a long way

Yes, this is how I love to eat too! But my fridge is tiny (too many condiments!), and I'm out of salad fare. Beetroot is nice, I buy the vacuum packed stuff, but a little goes a long way I find. It can be tricky cooking for one!

mayb look into batch cooking? we do this at the weekend.. food for mon/tues.. and or freeze some.. v handy - and good for ESB bills too..

Oh yeah, we do! We're lucky to have a big chest freezer. There are things down at the bottom that only future archeologists will find... I'm kinda bad these days with planning though. Just a habit I fall out of...

Had blue cheese on knackebrod today, was quite filling, so the rogan josh will be in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Recliner

Beef and pork meatballs, tomato and basil sauce and pasta. It was delicious..

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Today I made lasagna - without the use of an oven. Because I still don't have a kitchen

Sauce made the normal way, pasta pretty much fully boiled, otherwise assembled the normal way, microwaved at 600 for ~8 minutes and then grilled using the microwaves grill for ~5 minutes.

Worked pretty much fine. Cheese didnt look exactly the same as done in an oven, but the malliard reaction happened and hence the texture/flavour you'd expect.

• Advertisement

More of a starter, but Japanese mushroom soup. Shimenji and shiitake mushrooms with some silken tofu in a dashi/miso/soy broth. Nice and light.

Post edited by Dave_The_Sheep on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Rough puff pie with a chicken and pea filling. Rocket and mustard salad. (fully enclosed, of course 😉)

Sesame tuna. Teriaki/soy/miso sauce/glaze/whatever. Steamed broccoli.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Steak sandwich on Focaccia. Bread is from Aldi not sure if it's new or I hadn't seen it before. It has a shelf life of about a month so handy pantry backup. It's pretty decent for a long life bread. I always have Aldi's brioche burger buns in the press for the same reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Recliner

More or less this. It's pretty low effort, just takes a bit of time with the seaweed and whatnot.

My partner is away (you can tell) and I've a load of food to use up by Thursday so I'm trying to plough through as much of it as I can. Scallops, cauliflower, pea puree, black pudding, apple sticks, all pretentioused up. Pity the scallops were so small, but sure what can you do.

looks good - but would love to have seen the filling also..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The filling didn't look great as it had been previously frozen, so the peas lost their bright green colour. Tasted delicious but didn't look it. It was a veloute type sauce (bechamel with stock instead of milk) with mostly chicken thigh meat and peas.

I took the filling out of the freezer by accident, thinking it was parsley sauce to go with corned beef we were having on Friday. Had some lard in the fridge, so a chicken pie it was for Saturday.

I made sausage rolls from the leftover pastry. Wasn't sure if it would work with rough puff but they were delicious. The pastry being in the fridge overnight helped me roll it out thin enough, I suspect. I used Tesco finest Irish sausages squeezed out of their skin and put a smear on dijon mustard inside. Nicest sausage rolls I've eaten.

• Advertisement

Currently pimping Tesco's Bombay potatoes with red lentils and ginger, to go with naan. As close as I will get to cooking today.

Advertisement