Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Trimble has died

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Akabusi

RIP - was a good person and played his part in the GFA

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Jesus OP you could at least say something rather than just link dump.

I think history will be good to him. The man was willing to take a leap of faith with Sinn Fein and the Good Friday agreement. Cost him his seat in the end. But no doubt he helped bring about the relative peace we have in Northern Ireland today. He deserves his place in history.

Only 77, not exactly young, but not that old either.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭asdfg87

A man who had the courage to tell his own people "you are wrong"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭enricoh

I know they got sod all thanks for it electorally, but him n John Hume probably saved scores of lives - fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,154 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Gained my respect for being one of the peace makers although like Arlene he seemed to get more extreme after retirement. RIP David.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I have always had a good feeling about him in the overall pantheon of NI politics. May he rest in peace, he helped bring peace.

This pic taken recently shows how gaunt he had become. Am I the only one who thinks that the portrait bears little or no resemblance to him?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/david-trimble-tony-blair-people-the-assembly-first-minister-b2110549.html

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Trimble's effort to grasp the nettle and to at least try peace will be remembered long after his successors are forgotten.

Contributed hugely to peace in Ireland and was discarded by his own because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,243 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Sorry to hear that and may he rest in peace. No one is without fault but he was overall a man willing and prepared to lead in a constructive direction.

It's a pity the likes of David T & John H etc and their respective parties were subsequently sidelined by the hardliners on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭batman75

Trimble walking down the Garvaghy road with Paisley must be one of the most iconic images of the past 100 years in Northern Ireland. He and Hume deserved their Nobel peace prize. I think the Garvaghy Road incident was triumphalism at it's worst but on the whole he was a force for good in Northern Ireland and I think history will be kind to him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i know a few people up north (northern catholics, not exactly nationalists) who gave him credit in hindsight for the whole garvaghy road drama; saying that without having done that, he would not have had the clout within the unionist community to actually manage to get the peace process across the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭buried

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Hume and Trimble are the main reasons for the GFA and peace process

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 69,018 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That's pretty much all the NI leaders of the time gone, except Adams. Trimble, Paisley, Hume, Mallon, Alderdice, Ervine. Only Ervine was particularly young I think, but its not even 25 years ago now.

Mo Mowlam from the London side also.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

RIP. One of the architects of the peace process, along with Albert Reynolds, John Major, John Hume and to be fair Tony Blair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

A good man. Contributed a huge amount to bringing peace to NI, along with John Hume.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Not exactly a warm individual, but you can't but acknowledge his political courage.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭XLR 8

I often wondered what had become of him. He was and should be remembered as an architect of peace. May he now rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Stood up to Maggie Thatcher more than once RIP

God Rest Him

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I can recall when he was elected as leader of the UUP. There was a sense of fear in the South, as he was seen as a Unionist hardliner. He always struck me as an intelligent and sensible man.

RIP David, history will remember you well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Enough of a hardliner to be accepted as a leader, he had the courage to do what had to be done in 1998. I never understood how he could work to wreck his own agreement with his stance on Brexit.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

David Ervine too stood out as a sensible character who would have been valuable in resolving the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,154 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Point of order: Seamus Mallon was not a leader. He was only ever a deputy leader of the SDLP

• Registered Users Posts: 69,018 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Served as DFM.

McGuinness who was DFM later on has also died of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,414 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Helped bring peace to the island. RIP.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,749 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 38,471 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

RIP to him

Didn't he insult the country back in the 90s ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,000 ✭✭✭Xander10

• Registered Users Posts: 38,471 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Ourselves (Ireland)

Vaguely remember it was a few weeks before he got an honour of some sort in Waterford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

God rest him but the worst thing about him dying is bertie gets more airtime and print space. The rat.

Advertisement