Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KBC exiting Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,984 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Apologies if I've missed it, but has anyone actually recieved a letter or notification from KBC regarding the closure of their Current accounts 🤔

I've already set up new accounts elsewhere but for convenience, and all charges waived for remainder of account being operational, I'm continuing to use my KBC account albeit less and less, I've one DD remaining for monthly Car insurance, but last payment will be in November, will just pay off balance rather than setting up new DD and next year obviously use new bank for DD purposes.

I'd have expected notification of account closure by now.

Thanks

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Similar experience for me, they called me back on the 12th, saying that it had just come back, then when it arrived on the 19th or 20th the issue date turned out to be the 8th, leaving me only a couple of days to sort it (expiration of the 22nd), when I'd have hoped it might be the far side of the weekend based on the phone call (i.e. today or tomorrow). Not overly impressed with that aspect, but hoping I got it in under the wire on Friday evening.

You don't have to phone them, it's the customer services email address at the top of the headed paper that they send the break fee info out on, or at least that's what they told me when I rang.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭raxy

I misread the post, thought he was requesting the break fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Ah thanks, I didn't notice the email at the top!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I got a generic booklet with basic details around the account closure process about 2 weeks ago , but I haven't received anything about my specific accounts.

• Advertisement

The break fee 10 day includes the date the letter was issued, so mine is out of date today, even though 10 working days would be tomorrow.

FFS...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Hmm, by that logic my own was probably out on Thursday (issued the 8th, and I was counting to the 22nd, but 10 days inclusive of the date of issue would be the 23rd?), and the staff member with whom I was confirming all of this with agreed with me on the phone that based on the dates I had until close of business on the 22nd. I'll have to wait and see what comes of it at this point I suppose, as it will take time to get any confirmation either way with the backlog of similar requests.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

I sent mine off and there wasn't much time either. I hope it got to them on time. Do they send a letter to confirm your rate change back to variable?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Sarn

They’re supposed to send a letter confirming the rate change.

I sent mine in on the 17th June and still haven’t received written confirmation yet. I spoke to them last week and was told it’s all done. Took a month for the break and new rate to be processed.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

Break fee won't change as cost of funds rate is not going to be dropping anytime soon and that's key element of a a break fee.

Its unusual - but you can thank Avant & Finance Ireland for bring in stiff competition and fixed rates becoming lower whilst cost of funds rates increased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Probably only a matter of time until Avant are absorbed by AIB or BOI. I've fixed now for 5 years with KBC and fearful that the options in 5 years time will be poor

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I don't think that would pass any competition rules. Avant is a trading name of a large Spanish bank and I wouldn't be surprised if they end up doing everything except current accounts here. Albeit foreign banks doing savings hasn't often worked out either (Rabo, Nationwide UK, another UK building society with a small presence left in recent years)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Only time will tell, we are just at the start of a consolidation period in financial services in the EU, so we will just have to wait and see how that works out. The consciences seems to be that there will be about 8 major banking groups and less that twenty regional banking groups in the EU when the dust settles, how that filters down to the small markets like Ireland is anyone's guess.

Has anyone completed a switch from kbc yet? I moved to Avant & kbc confirmed the old mortgage was paid off on the 20th July to my solicitor but I haven't heard from kbc.

When paying off the solicitor used an old figure so we are probably owed 2.5k back.

I rang the the week before last & was told they take 10 days but then they said 10 days was up the week before. Its been another week & a half & still nothing.

Anyone who's switched, how long did kbc take to contact you & issue any refunds?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭smokie72

I switched to Finance Ireland from KBC. Old Mortgage was paid off 5 weeks ago. Solicitor overpayed it slightly just to cover any extra interest accured since KBC were slow in telling him the amount left on the loan. I had to ring them and get a figure he could work with. I got the amount owed by KBC after the loan was paid off transferred into my account today. Hope this helps

Yes thanks, probably another couple of weeks then for us. I hope they're adding interest to the balance while they're holding onto it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭gar

Month since new LTV application sent and received and no word back other than to say it's in the queue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭techdiver

I sent one in too. I'm looking to fix long term. What happens if rates go up before they process these applications? The fixed rate on the application is what I have applied for. I would like to think they would honour the rates at the time of application as they are the bottleneck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I applied for new LTV in early June and it only went through for our 1st Sept payment. I rang them after it didn't show up in our 1st Aug payment and they said they have a backlog so there is a delay but they will be honouring the rate you applied for on the date they received it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭techdiver

Was hoping that would be the case. No real skin off their nose anyway as they are dumping the book to BOI anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭JoeSexton

Hi there,

I have 2 years left on my 5 year fixed KBC mortgage. At this point I am thinking of trying to extend the fixed rate for another 5 years. Do I have to go through BOI for this or can I contact KBC? Would appreciate if somebody who has been through this has any advice...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Simply key in "kbc fixed rate instruction" into Google and the form will come up.

Print out the relevant pages, fill them in and email the form to kbc.

Attach a letter asking to break from current fixed rate (there will not be a break fee) and start with a new 5 year rate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭Daith

So had been waiting for KBC to send me a letter saying I can move account, as I have a fixed rate with current account discount and didn't want to have any issues.

According to KBC Twitter, I can move current account anytime without it impacting anything.

Post edited by Daith on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭christy c

Have the 6 month notices been sent to anyone yet? (For closure of current accounts)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Yep we received ours a few days ago.

Haven't received notice yet. Although just received acknowledgement text for my new fixed rate form that I sent about a month ago. They must be fairly flat out, yet can still answer the phone within 30 seconds!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭gar

Anyone moved current account from KBC to Life Credit Union or Permanent TSB?

Whats either online banking and apps like? I will miss KBCs as thought it was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Gone to Life, the app is decent enough but a tad annoying in ways that are hard to describe. Then again, using the code generation for the KBC website using their app was hideously annoying so every app has its issues

Transaction speed is worse than KBC but much better than BOI was when I used them pre-KBC. Branch hours have been cut to the bone which was a pain when I got a cheque from Laya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭JoeSexton

Advertisement