Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Pay Talks - see mod warning post 4293

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Every time public service pay is talked about fliball and salonfire turn up. And this is going back over 10 years btw. What is that about? Imagine being that obsessed about PS pay.

It paints a depressing picture of where they must be in their lives. Sorry to be blunt but it’s very peculiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭combat14

what impending vote?

taking 3% when inflation is running at almost 10% is madness

pop over to property thread and they are admant over there that all and sundry in the private sector are getting massive pay rises..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Vote on strike action. The 10% pay risees in the private sector won't be much good when they don't have jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭anglesorangles

I know for a fact they are getting wonderfully treated financially dont you worry. Anyway you are dirty WUM and now blocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭fliball123

Well the fact is we are paying more on average now for public sector pay and pensions than we did during the last crash the problem has not gone away and it looks like its going to be escalated with even more pay rises and the up coming recession so just to give the public sector something to think about.

Before last recession 2008

no. of employees = 320k

Cost = 18.7 billion

Cost per employee = 58437.50

After last recession 2014

No of employees working 288k working

Cost = 16.2 Billion

Cost per employee = 56250

No of employees working = 356k working

Cost = 23.5 Billion

Cost per employee = 66011

So those additional employees recruited between 2014 and 2021 are working out at being paid over 107k each if all the woe is me, poor me stories are to be believed in the public sector and they are getting nothing which couldn't be further from the truth. There has been pay rises and increments going on all the time even during the recession so the math is that we are paying 17.35% more for our public sector employees since 2014 , yet in all that time our inflation rate has only gone up by about 2% in 2021. (I appreciate it has gone up in 2022)

If you want to say but but but but we got our pay cuts (which have been more than paid back and then some). Just do the same equation with the 2008 numbers (ye know after the 2 rounds of bench marking and before the temporary pay cuts not like the fecking USC which is here to stay) and its just under 13% and in that time inflation was actually lower in 2021 (so a minus on the auld inflation) than in 08.

So the argument made here about inflation is funny its like bench marking the public sector pay can only be compared when it goes up yet for the guts of 15 years inflation never grew but the amount paid per public sector employee grew by 13 - 17% in 2021. Go figure

Public sector pay and numbers

Irish inflation rates

s://www.macrotrends.net/countries/IRL/ireland/inflation-rate-cpi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Don't be so silly. There are no across the board pay rises in the private sector.

It's only the public sector who think they all are entitled to a huge pay increase.

The public sector are already 30% higher paid on average

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭08122019

yeah typical response the figures are there from independent sources for anyone to see, so the inflation argument being currently spouted here holds phuck all water if the figures are right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Employee numbers in 2008 to 2022 increased by 11%

The population increased by nearly 13% in the same timeframe.

You still haven’t explained why you are so obsessed (jealous) about PS pay. PS pay is negotiated by representatives of the government and unions. I’ll leave it to them to hash out their worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Khloe Strong Cane

probably failed the exams - must have an alarm set up anytime ps pay comes up and he gives the same spiel - if he spent enough time/dedication on his own work instead of here, he might get a raise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭salonfire

That's funny, I don't remember commenting one way or the other when the Government's reasonable, initial deal was put forward. Maybe you could prove me wrong?

Only in the past few days when greed and bravado about striking surfaced, the usual union antics, did I start commenting.

You're seeing things that aren't there, go get yourself checked out.

As it happens, I'm quite happy where I am in my career. A couple of years ago, I took voluntary redundancy with a pay out that would make any public employee blush compared to their lump-sum. And unlike govt employees, I did not pay a penny towards it. Then I started a better paying job the week after.

Post edited by salonfire on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,587 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

More than half of Irish workers set to receive a pay rise in year ahead - Independent.ie...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭Shuffl_in

Just to remind everyone there is a feature that allows you to ignore a user. Unfortunately you can still see that they've posted but you don't have to read through it. It does improve the thread.

Some users have shown a deep-seated unhealthy obsession with all things public sector for a decade or more. They've spent literal days of their lives on here moaning about it. It does paint a bit of a depressing picture but the main thing to understand is that there is no point in arguing with them. They might use spiraling inflation as their argument this time but it was something else last time and will be something else next time. Their real issue with the public sector is almost certainly something far more personal - perhaps they failed to get in, perhaps they know someone they feel beneath them succeeding in the public sector, who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭munster87

Posting about it on boards.ie is the proudest part though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,259 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Fillet steak is 50% more expensive than round steak mince "on average".

You're really not very good with figures are you?

"So those additional employees recruited between 2014 and 2021 are working out at being paid over 107k each if all the woe is me, poor me stories are to be believed in the public sector and they are getting nothing which couldn't be further from the truth. "

That's hilarious.

Of course the comparisons are relevant. All employers are fishing from the same pool. The staff of KBC and Ulster will be sought after by Dept Finance, Revenue, C&AG, NSSO, Central Bank and more. If public sector salaries aren't rising relative to private sector, they won't be able to keep and retain professionally qualified staff, like auditors and accountants.

By 'wedge of cash and golden parachute' I presume you mean the incentivised early retirement scheme which provided very modest benefit from those who chose to get off the payroll. Which organisations took back realms of these staff 'on contract wage'?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭combat14

just really goes to show how good the private sector has it after all - thanks for spilling the beans ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭KilOit

Pop is older, fatter, and sicker now. We get an ungodly amount of referrals through the hospital now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,259 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It's hard to imagine what level of deep insecurity would lead you to try to persuade people on the Internet that you're richer than them. Crass posting of the year I reckon.

"So those additional employees recruited between 2014 and 2021 are working out at being paid over 107k each"

of all the pseudofacts you've dribbled in the thread this is the most egregiously stupid and it demonstrates that you care so little about the accuracy of your statements that the distinction between your being a troll or otherwise is utterly theoretical

you are a clown on this subject and moreover a nuisance to this thread.

also to go back to your point earlier about redundancies in the public sector- again you are talking shite

you know absolutely nothing about anything you are blowing forth about and frankly your continued existence on the entire topic of the public sector is a failure of administration of this site

how does this work on an android phone if you dont mind?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 H.P. Baxxter

There you go, just put the username of whoever you want to ignore in the box.

Using 2008 is not really the right year as the IMF came in and said our public sector pay and pensions where too expensive and had to be cut (which there where right to do) and was based mainly on the coughers being filled with stamp duty money which quickly dried up. So you need to take a year that was after the crash and the article I put up used 2014 as this is the year most would agree that we were out the other side of the crash. After the crash the numbers paint a picture that a lot on here will not want to see as there was an 8.5% increase in population from 2014 to 2021 and employee numbers in the public sector went up by 23.5% and all the while in those years inflation was 2% and the cost per employee went up by over 17%. (the math is there for anyone saying a fliball come on with your pseudo facts, these are facts that I didn't come up with the numbers are there so if anyone plays the man and not the post its just they dont like hard truths) So taking 2008 as a year to compare we have to remember that we could not afford the pay for the what we had (a situation we may well find ourselves in again if the nonsense of allowing public sector pay to follow one year of high inflation and disregarding the fact that pay went up over 17% in the 7/8 years previous and inflation remained at 2% why were the unions not out looking for a pay decrease? )

As for my motives its simple I am a tax payer and I don't like the waste and the l'oriel attitude of the sector the above is what has happened over the last few years and they jump on any excuse to squeeze more from an all ready phucked over tax payer its that simple and the increase in the ps pay is going to have serious consequences on the already out of control inflation if anyone thinks we just pay more will solve this issue you have not lived in Ireland. Hows about this I will have no bother with ps pay rises after the so called temporary USC tax is done away as it stands we are paying more per person to work in the public sector so they have had their pay restored when is my tax take going to be restored?

That figure will also show that 100% public sector employees are getting a pay rise which they will be this year. So lets see 2.39 million people working in Ireland in 2021. So that 1.2 million getting a payrise. The .39m is basically the public sector. So that means roughly 1.2 million private sector employees will not be getting a pay rise.

Read what I said, I said if the stories of woe where to be believed within the public sector and the public sector wages were not going up in the 8/9 years before 2022 then the figure of 107k is what on average the new employees being recruited in that time would be paid, I was kinda taking the p1ss obviously new employees are not being paid that amount, I was just pointing out the huge discrepancy going on with the sector with their unions moaning about pay rises and inflation but only moan about it when its suits the narrative of a pay rise.

Sorry increases in pay to 2 banks who will soon have zero employees working for them in this country is a stupid comparison for anyone to be basing a pay rise on as any % of zero is zero so it would be brilliant if we use can use this so we pay the public sector zero pay rises too?

read my response to Andrew I was taking the p1ss with that to highlight something.

The facts are there that I have put up. Can anyone come up with a reason why there was not pay cuts going on in the public sector when the pay per person went up by over 17% in the years from 2014 to 2021 and inflation went up by 2%? Yet we have the unions banging on for 10% increases with inflation at just over 9% in 2022.??

Figures are there for anyone to see not pseudo fact, actual fact if the figures are wrong you will have to get on to your dept of finance as I believe that is where the information was gathered from.

Yeah you like to resort to name calling when you cant come up with a proper argument typical.

The redundancy scheme back after the last crash was a joke there was no one forced to go they were politely asked, if you have proof of people being forced to retire show me and contract workers are not full time employees before that is thrown into the mix.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

No pay cuts in the public sector, are you mad???

10% straight pay cut, a pension levy and an increase in hours. Does that not equate to a cut to you??????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,257 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's a proposed income tax band, nothing to do with interest rates. Sloppy.

Why are they proposing to do this? Buying votes. SF's poll numbers, and FG's desire to be seen as a party of lower taxes even if all they ever do in relation to tax cuts is talk about them.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,257 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You have that option, public sector workers don't.

Also if your previous employer continues to underpay relative to competitors, they will find it impossible to recruit or retain staff so will be forced to increase their salary levels sooner or later. Tightfisted employers lose talent and ultimately their business suffers as a result.

But we're already seeing that it is practically impossible to recruit teachers, nurses, bus drivers, etc. etc. especially in, but not only in, Dublin. Dublin people pay their taxes and have as much right to healthcare, education for their kids, etc. as anyone else so something is going to have to give.

Joining the public sector is a complete loser nowadays if you have to live anywhere near Dublin and jobseekers know this. Given the pay on offer at entry levels and the joke of a pension scheme, it's not much of an attractive prospect no matter where you live, unless living in your mammy's for the rest of your life is your plan.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

I believe all employees in both sectors will be getting this if it happens and that is a big if and to be honest at the moment its a kite been flown by Varadkar and he is trying to make himself more popular with the working person in both sectors as they both benefit from it to date he has done nothing for the "those who get up out of bed to go to work brigade in the morning" brigagde, but if the conditions worsen and we move into a recession over the summer and before the budget it wont be affordable so it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

As for pay rises in the private sector as one of the public sector lads on here pointed to an article that just over half of all employees "think" they will get a payrise this year thinking it was a solid argument for Public sector pay rises. But on the numbers of 2.4Million people working in 2021 half of that is 1.2 million take the public sector employees out who if you ask any of them they know they will be getting a rise this year. So it leaves about 1.1/1.2 million private sector (give or take 2% as the article has 52% thinking they will be getting a pay rise) who are saying they do not think they will be getting one.

The penny has not dropped for some there are a lot of companies struggling after coming off the covid life support.

Advertisement