Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sophie: A Murder in West Cork - Netflix.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭chooseusername

She may have been telling the truth initially when she told the Gardai she saw a man on Airhill road, a man outside her shop, and a man on Kealfadda.bridge.

She never said she saw Ian Bailey in those places.

These visions became Bailey at the suggestion of the Gardai.

I doubt she knew him beforehand , she had only been in Schull about a year. They lived about 4 or 5 miles apart.

Small town alright about 600 people in1996

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Yah some reasonable points here. I dont think the body was moved or staged so either she went down to someone at the gate (& she was in dispute with Alfie over the gate) or she ran towards the gate. Now if she ran towards the gate, that does seem significant, like why on earth would you not run to your neighbors?? where you had a chance of surviving. But even if the altercation did happen at the gate, she didnt seem to make much of an effort to run in the direction of Alfies anyway, I find it hard to believe she wouldnt have got further up the hill if she made an effort. I dont think the body was moved at all because if it was moved, surely it would have thrown into the ditch or some attempt at hiding would have been made to buy the killer time, could have bought him days. So either the perpetrator was off his head or he was forensically aware enough that he knew by moving it, that he could potentially implicate himself in the murder.

The location, positioning & condition of the body are hugely significant imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭tibruit

The Airhill Road sighting is always going to be relevant because it was established a few weeks after Marie made the statement, that Ian Bailey was on that road early on the Sunday morning in question. He stayed over-night on a bender at a house on that road and separate witnesses say that he left the house early Sunday morning but returned a while later. This information only became apparent to Gardaí a couple of weeks after Marie made her first statement so they couldn`t have been coaching her at that point.

In this initial statement she said that the man on the Airhill Road was the same man that was outside her shop the previous day when Sofie came in. It has also been established that Bailey was in the village around the time Sofie came into the shop. Marie didn`t identify Bailey in the first statement. She didn`t know him at that point. Now she says it wasn`t him. But the problem for Marie, and indeed Bailey, is that the sighting on the Airhill Road almost certainly was him.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭TalleyRand83

Jaysus! Hollywood stuff going in this post and plenty of others too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I'd suggest, this is just one of many possibilities.

She could have walked with somebody down to the gate, or to meet somebody by the gate, or she ran for her life and the killer caught up with her by the gate?

Either she was murdered by the gates, or her body was carried there and murdered somewhere else?

Were the cuts and bruises really from a fight or were they administered later on? It could have been, with care as no DNA was found. It's hard to imagine that a fight would leave not DNA, nothing at all...?

We do not know, but can only guess that she may already have been unconscious when the killer used the cavity block on her?

If she was carried, there must have been a reason why she was placed on the road, rather than behind the briars and more out of sight. Most likely as a reason was that the body was to be found quickly, - if hidden behind the briars, it could have taken another 12 to 24 hours to be discovered?

The killer must either have known something about leaving traces, prints, DNA, etc... or he was extremely lucky that the police didn't find anything? The first option would suggest the killing was planned, the murder site carefully cleaned, the interior of the house staged and the killer wanted the victim to be found quickly the next morning.

Same as the blood stain at the door? Did the killer come back to the house for whatever reason? or was Sophie attacked / injured by the door?

To all of these things we don't know the answers to.

And if it was a planned killing the motive would be way more important to think about. Regarding motive and planned killing, I'd suggest any financial-divorce or drug related motive would have outweighed anything sexual? I would find it hard to believe that Bailey would have planned such a killing and gotten away with it, but not having any known motive at all for doing so.

An unplanned killing would probably go down more into the sexual and rage motive? And more into the killer counting on the incompetence of the police authorities not getting any DNA?

Again all speculations.

• Advertisement

It’s also possible Sophie chased someone she found prowling or perving around her house, a dirty old man or a horny young buck, she didn’t draw curtains, so bedtime and rising time might attract someone who knew her routine and believed the rumours about her lifestyle.

Boots on .Out the door at the front of the house, (where romeo would have had the best view) down through the front lawn after the intruder who could not get into the car quick enough and Sophie lashed out and the intruder turned and retaliated.

I believe she did try to get back up to her house or Alfie’s, the fight was going on against the gate but when she tried to run back up the lane she was pushed into the briars just past the gate. She was pulled back out by the hair and then the rock and block were used.

Now, the thing is someone, probably a son, a father, a partner went home that morning, bloodied and frantic and whoever they went home to made a decision to close ranks and protect him.

What would they do, what would you do to protect them? It’s not a moral question, like would you turn them in. The decision was made.

If it was, say, your teenage son or your partner how would you go about minimising the risk of him getting caught?

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭flanna01

Very good point made in this post.

If the murderer is local, somebody else knows about it.

We are not wired to commit such atrocities without suffering emotionally afterwards.

Even if the person cleaned himself up unseen. If he wasn't missed during the night / early morning of the murder. His demeanor would change.

The guilt of the killing, the regret of orphaning a child, the sheer brutality of the assault....

Is there incriminating evidence at the scene. Did somebody see me..

Then there's the shame of the Family & friends finding out.. How will the villagers react, how will the Family be treated..

Followed by the paranoia.. The village is swarming with Guards, the big shots are coming down from Dublin, what do they know so far, are they watching me....

If the killer is local - Somebody else knows.

You cannot mask those emotions from your nearest and dearest... Even if you live alone, you will have friends, work mates, people checking in on you.. The local newsagent, butcher, barman, bookie.. they all meet you every week, one will miss you...

That's the reason, I often don't think the killer was local.

If he was local and somebody knew, then this somebody would have come forward by now. This could have been during the arrests of Bailey or during all the court proceedings both in Ireland and in France. This could easily have been anonymous and also with the police in Dublin, if the local Guards were all bent.

I couldn't imagine somebody local, with roots in the area and somebody with a conscience would stay silent all this time. At least I find it unlikely.

If the killer wasn't local, was travelling he could have explained his different behaviour with issues regarding travel, foreign food and upset stomach, etc.... This would at least have been credible or more credible.

And regarding not being seen, the only ones who would have had that security were Alfie and Shirley, but that also doesn't mean they did it.

Yes, I agree with all that, but the question is what would you do if say, your teenage son came home in that state and admitted what he had done.

A young man maybe about to go to university or take over the family farm, someone with his whole future ahead of him.

You made the decision that protecting his future was more important than the life he just took.

What steps would you take if it was too late to dispose of the body and clean up the site?

I don't know where this theory of her being killed somewhere else came from, I very much doubt it, but if there's any possibility of it being true I think it would switch the spotlight over to the Ungerers.

Mrs Ungerer was wildly innacurate with her timing regarding when Sophie left their house. Perhaps after going for coffee in the town she actually did go back to the Ungerers. Then something happened there, a sex game gone wrong, Mr Ungerer was very interested in such things, and they brought her body back to her house.

Mr Ungerer and Daniel were familiar with each other. Perhaps he staged the midnight phone call to cover for them.

Smashing her face with the block would obliterate lacerations or bruising from BDSM paraphernalia.

Crazy isn't it?

But that's what this thread is all about.

• Advertisement

Your theory is worth a consideration, however, I don't think that that's what happened.

Mr. Tomi Ungerer would indeed strike me as an odd character living out his fantasies in a remote part of the world. However I don't see any motive for him. He was probably perfectly innocent in this.

If he did kill Sophie, I'd suggest it was either drug trafficking related, or sheer lust of killing and getting away with it as a one time affair. He would also be familiar with the countryside, and possibly knowledgeable on who was living there all year round, and who only visiting for holidays. He would also have been somebody Sophie would have opened the door to at any time of the night, I'd suggest.

I wouldn't consider any sex games gone wrong or something like that. The pathologist's report noted there were no signs of any sexual activity. Also he would also not have brought the body back to the house, but disposed of Sophie by throwing her over the cliffs somewhere.

And her husband Daniel hiring Tomi Ungerer to kill his wife, I don't think that that's what happened. Mr. Ungerer was certainly another oddball in the area, but he wasn't a hitman to be hired and paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I think that's unfair to both Dwyer and Farrell. It's seems to me Dwyer already had what he believed was credible information placing Bailey at Kealfadda and was not intimating to Bailey that he was going to stitch him up using a fabricated story of his own. Do you think he would mention this in advance? It's just a bizarre theory. This information, in retrospect, may have been entirely false but it was all Dwyer had to go on, so to speak. I don't see how you could interpret it otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Was the gate was in the opened position when the attack occured.

Blood stains on the gate shows this here.

She may have bee trying to haul herself up or a gloved attacker left thos stains there

Who opened the gate?

Or was it always left open.

Or did the gards open it wider to let Alfie's wife drive to dispose of some waste material.

Alfie's wife discovered the body at 10.30am I wonder what position the gate was in at that time,

Didn't she hit brakes hard when she seen the body, so was probably not slowing down as the gate was probably open

Did Sophie open it to collect her post from post Box in Photo below, maybe this is why she put boots to outside

Was this shared post box or did it belong Shophie solely

The blood stain on the Back door (below) may have been a previous bleed from Sophie.

Although I believe though from previous threads on here that Sophie mostly used the front door

Is it true that the gate that was need to remain closed was the gate to the field to the right of the blood stained in the picture

Just speculation .

There were some people on a previous thread on Boards.ie who had previously visited Alfie's House.

Could any of them reply to whether or not the gate was already opened when they called up to Alfie's ?

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

It's not known if the gate was open when the attack occurred, it was certainly open when Shirley Foster passed through the open gate before realising what she saw on the ground needed investigating,

Shirley's car below the gate;

(Photo taken by Det. Pat Joy before he covered the body with tarpaulin at 1pm.)

The side on which the blood marks were would suggest the attack happened against the open gate, rather than the below the closed gate.

Sophie preferred the gate on the lane closed. She was most likely the last known person through the gate on Sunday evening.

The postman arrived about 6:30 on Sun evening and said Sophie was home at that time.

I don't know if he passed through the gate to drive up to Alfies or if he used the postbox on the pier.

About Sophie maybe going to the post box is interesting.

The person you refer to about visiting Alfie's previously was @Bannasidhe who said as a passenger in a car she had either opened that gate and held it open with part of a concrete block or had to move the block to close it ;I forget which , the block was small enough to move with her foot.

As far as I know the gate was open at the night of the murder. Shirley drove at least past it, then she stopped, and walked back to the body. Shirley's car was often seen after the gates, in various pictures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭Deeec

Did you not watch the documentary? Dwyer is a classic example of the corrupt, slithery, sly type of member of an Garda Siochana that existed at that time. The type that would use underhand tactics to get results. He actually came across really bad in the documentary and done himself or An garda Siochana no favours. Why he appeared in it I dont know - I guess he is a fame chaser as much as Marie Farrell.

The exact words he used ' I will place you at Kilfeada bridge' says it all. He could have said ' you were seen at Kilfeada Bridge' or phrased it differently but he didnt. He was telling Bailey exactly what they were going to do!

Post edited by Deeec on

“I will place you at Kilfeada bridge'”

Bad enough saying that to Bailey in the Garda station, but to boast about having said It, in the documentary says all you need to know about him.

"She never said she saw Bailey in those places"

How could she say it when she didn`t know him at the outset.

"These visions became Bailey at the suggestion of the Gardai."

Definitely not true. The second "vision" was Ian Bailey who really was on the Airhill Road on the morning of the second sighting. The Gardaí did not discover that Bailey was on this road until mid January, but Marie first told them on Christmas day that the unknown man who was loitering outside her shop was the same man that she saw the following morning. The Gardaí couldn`t have coached her to say it in the initial statement.

This is an uncomfortable fact for many contributors here who seem to want to forget about this reality and move on with their fringe theories. But the actuality remains. The first time that Marie made her statement, she told Gardaí that the man outside her shop was the same man that she saw hitching a lift the next morning.

People here don`t want go down rabbit holes, Bailey himself has flapped around when asked a direct question about it, Jim Sheridan sat down Marie Farrell on tape and either avoided mentioning the second sighting to her or didn`t like what she said about it and edited it out. Jim wants it to be a Frenchman you see.

It is even a problem for Marie because she now says none of these sightings were Bailey. But the evidence suggests that if anything she said is the truth it has to be the first statement.

What evidence have you that Dwyer was corrupt?

Ah would you stop. Take your head out of the sand. The Gardai told Marie what to say in the statement. They told her to say it was the same man. They told her to say it was Bailey.

How can you believe anything Marie says.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,867 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Asked and answered.

What are the odds... she never noticed Bailey around the small town before in the previous months she had been there and then sees him three times in the same weekend? At different locations? Including allegedly after he has just committed a murder and she is the only one to spot him except for her mystery driver? Think of the odds of that.

Amazing how she went from being completely unobservant not to notice Bailey on the town of the main street on which she worked... and being completely unable to accurately describe Bailey even with reference to his to height of her husband, or Bailey's build... yet her eagle eyes spotted him at night on the side of the road with his hands to his face?

She created a character out of what she had seen.

It is a fiction she has constructed to insert herself into the investigation, or curry favour with AGS.

Three times in the same weekend at three different locations, two of which are out of the way or quiet hours. And never before that in 3 months.

It beggars belief.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

You miss the point yet again. How could the Gardaí tell Marie what to say when they didn`t know themselves at that point in time that Bailey had been there that morning?

No I'm not missing the point at all. You keep harping on about this. The point is Marie/Fiona whatever she called herself is untrustworthy. What is truth and what is fiction - as regards Marie I think it's all fiction.

How do you think this would be treated in court?

Unless he was a regular stalker of women who might have come into her shop she would never have noticed him. I`m talking about the first statement that mentions two sightings and not three. We know that both those sightings corroborate with Baileys known whereabouts and the second sighting in particular was almost certainly him. The Gardaí cannot have influenced Farrell on the second sighting because they didn`t know Bailey was on the Airhill Road that morning until mid January. Farrell first contacted Gardaí on Christmas day and made her statement two days later.

Maria Farrell couldn't even give her proper name to the Guards, let alone anything else.

By the way, she's now pointing the finger at a French man that she seen walking around in Schull, probably bumped into Bailey outside her shop.

Give it a rest... You're pinning everything on an habitual liar of the highest order.

Half of her first statement has been borne out by facts that only emerged after she made it.

I'd abandon this line of enquiry. Now more than 25 years onwards, there is no way of knowing who met whom, who has seen whom, or who was saying what.

Yes Marie Farrell can't be relied upon, not back then, not now. But also calling somebody a liar regarding what one may have seen heard or known back then, or not, is also very hard at this point. We don't really know her motivation for doing whatever also, she doesn't strike me as the smartest around nor does she seem to be in any strong position. It was probably easy to coerce her into doing whatever she was to do by whomever.

Marie Farrell was either coerced by police, or not, or coerced by somebody else, also the question whether she's been with another man that night or not, maintaining not having and affair, or maybe having one, also doesn't seem to put her in a strong position as well. I would thus disregard anything she's said, claim to have said, or claim to have seen.

We don't really know if this man was French. Just by description, we're guessing it might be somebody else other than Bailey and he was wearing a beret. This could have been anybody. I would only be guessing that wearing a beret would be unusual in this part of Ireland at that time, suggesting he was a foreigner - but again, this could be nothing as well. Normally being shaven, but not shaving whilst in South West Ireland might imply he might want to change his appearance, - but again, we don't know that one either.

As far as I know the police only checked for the passengers on Sophie's flight, but not on other flights coming into or leaving Ireland around the time of the murder.

She has already identified the man she seen from photographs.

This is the same man the detectives have gone to see in France.

They already know his name and address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,867 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

She would never have noticed him on the main street of Schull? Where she worked? And he shopped?

Did she magically teleport into her shop without stopping to pass go?

Instead he had to be a regular stalker of women who might have come into her shop?

Who was he stalking on Airhill Road?

Strange isn't it, how Marie Farrell covered so much territory in that one weekend and yet in all the months before not once spotted Bailey... not on the main street... not in any pub... not on any of what seem like frequent car cruises...

She has eagle eyes at 3am to recognise someone with their hands to her face and yet can't tell us that Bailey is bigger than her husband at 3pm in afternoon daylight? Is she a bat!!

You can write this nonsense but don't expect it to convince anyone.

It is a piece of fiction Farrell has created and woven around the case and Bailey. Which the Gardai then got involved in

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Bailey didn`t shop where Marie worked. I`m not talking any nonsense. I`m merely pointing out that the second sighting that Marie Farrell spoke of in her first statement on December 27th can be reconciled with statements later given by other witnesses, one of whom is Bailey himself. It also cannot have been influenced by Garda prompting. Once that part of her first statement is shown to be credible, then it is more likely that the rest of that specific statement is truthful too. I`m not talking about Fiona and Kealfada Bridge here at all. That all came later.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement