Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send whisky to Poland

Options
  • 26-07-2022 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭

I am in Scotland and tried to send a bottle of whisky to poland via Royal Mail, but it's prohibited (no alcohol over 24%). I am not sure if this is Royal Mail rules, UK rules, Polish rules, EU Rules.

Does anybody know whose rule it is, and what other ways are there to send whisky to Poland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Baybay

I’m afraid I don’t know too much about Royal Mail rules or sending things from Scotland but for Christmas I arranged for a very nice bottle of Irish whiskey to be sent directly by courier from the artisanal distillery in Ireland to a good friend in France.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

AFAIK alcohol above 24% is classified as 'dangerous goods'; shipping companies probably will only handle it if it's above a certain volume, possibly, as it means lots more paperwork and processes. and cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,008 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its also quite likely that your recipient will have to pay tax and duty on it. Can you source it from a store in Poland instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

from a bit of googling, it seems complicated; if it's above 24% it might be exempted if the volume is under 5L, but i think certain packaging criteria have to be met?

my wife used to work in an air cargo business. she once mentioned that the ground handlers had to have special training if handling consignments of lipstick or cola concentrate, IIRC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Yeah, this would have cost a fortune.

I'll visit him at some stage, will select the checked luggage option and bring it then.

Thanks all.

Advertisement