Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Just make sure its a Hybrid inverter and not a standard . The Hybrid can take a battery at a later date.

I 100% agree on the 6kwh inverter. Very little difference in price between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭fuse

Surely it’s the fact that you’re living in the house all day, heating in the winter, preparing food, heating water, making tea etc.

On the plus side it makes it easier to utilise Solar during the day getting washes on, charging EV. So may be a reason not to go for a battery

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

WFH is more of an opportunity to use up power that would otherwise maybe be exported.

But I am referring to the actual consumption related to WFH. Fine, include the boiling of a kettle or two, but overall, it's certainly not a reason to adding several more kWp to an install as some people seem to do

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

We both work from home, and have an EV but I’d still advise getting a battery, 1,000,000%

a battery will cover the peaks & troughs of day to day PV generation…. Like when you boil a kettle on a day where the Solar is t producing enough to run 100% of the kettle load, same with dishwasher, washing machine etc….

also, a battery means that during summer you can be powered 24 hours a day from your solar generation….

even if you have night rate electricity, the solar will never produce up until midnight when the night rate kicks in, this a battery takes up all this slack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

As many know, I've always been a huge battery fan so would encourage people to get one. The only potential change in that thinking is the recently introduced FIT. If you can export and get €0.13 or so for a unit, that somewhat counteracts the advantages of a battery. I say "potential" as we'll have to see what the standing charges are etc for these plans which give you these FIT export benifits. If it costs you an extra €200 a year in standing charges to get onto that plan which gives you €0.13 export and you export €150 for the year....well, your actually worse off on that tariff.

That said, I think having "any" battery in the mix is a good thing. Even a 2.5Kwhr battery would help smooth over the clouds where you turn on the washing machine and the cloud rolls in, although I can appreciate that it's not easy to see the benifits of a battery when you don't have an installation. It looks like a fair chunk of money that you can avoid, but in truth it's a very useful piece of kit and pays for itself (way waaaay more than an Eddi)

Indeed, at least you use everything in a battery, whereas you can heat the water but not use all that is heated

Agree on all above and what really solidified my decision to go for a battery was a comment on here (probably one of you folks replying today) was the insight around when WFH, you'll be distracted monitoring your app, waiting for some good sunshine, getting clothes in the washer, dishwasher full, kicking it off. Then adjusting things when cloud cover comes in. Far too disruptive!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭mel123

A month to my solar install by *****, and just wondering. I dont have an EV now, but my next car probably will be. Does it make sense to get a charger installed now while they are doing the solar panels? Anything i should think about, i suppose any disadvantage? I assume while I am not using it, it does not use any power?? Or am i incorrect?

Post edited by Jonathan on

I'd hold off if I was you. It's not wrong as such to get it in now as a part of the initial install, however, things are changing in this space. EV's will soon support (hopefully) a standard protocol for supplying the house from the car battery. Zappi's etc are constantly being updated from year to year. You may regret getting one now only to find out that version x+1 next year supports something that you'd really like.

Often a lot of car manufacturers have a deal whereby they'll help co-fund the charging unit for the house when your buying the car. So (probably?) more pros to hold off than cons?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Mr Q

From September the EV charger grant will only be for "smart chargers registered on Triple E" according to the SEAI.

For anyone planning on getting a basic charger installed now might be the time to do it. The starting price for a grant applicable install is only going to go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

Energia (think it was then anyway. Got an email from one energy company in last few weeks) provide the charger if you buy certain new EVs. Then you pay the install which has a 600 quid grant.. You'd want to check the charger feeds from solar like a Zappi. But could take it and sell on donedeal and use the money towards another charger.

Kia were doing something last year, but you were then tied into a 12 month contract with that energy supplier. They were doing a "free" charger where they then claimed the grant.

Always read the small print. There's no such thing as a free lunch !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Not getting a good feeling about trying to get our installation done

THE GUYS THAT GAVE ME THE QUOTE

EARLIER IN THE YEAR SAID MAY

IVE TRIED EMAILING, WHATSAPPING AND CALLING

And other than a "give me a call back" and when I do the phone is off, I'm not confident.

They have good rep here, the caps above give the hint of who they are for those that were paying attention to all the quotes here

Irrespective of who the installer (and none of my business who they are) is if they are dragging it out months it's time to look at a plan b. Have you put a deposit down? If not, get other quotes. Then you have an alternative and can ask are they still interested once you have an alternative.

We were waiting nearly 3 months from when we paid the 50% deposit for install and had to chase them a lot to get it live. They said no later than 2 but dragged to nearly 3. And still have some snags but we still owe them 50% so they will sort them. And reason for the snags not getting sorted is they are too busy so rushing off to next job.

I bet they are all overloaded with work. Scary energy prices = free marketing for any installer

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Daveq

I'm in the same boat and with the new grant setup was wondering the exact same thing.

What's the guide price on a zappi? I assume it's a fair bit cheaper getting it with the whole install?

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

If anyone knows who ackwel is referring to, do dm me. I'm about to send a deposit to an installer with a good rep here. A little cautious after hearing that.

Exactly what we're doing. They're pricey regardless, but I think I'm getting some sort of a deal in our install.

If you use the SEAI grant for your solar install, is there a separate grant for EV charger install?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Yep. €600 for EVSE. Grant recently (or will soon) changed to no longer require proof of EV ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Harika

Got three quotes

8x400 Watt Hyundai Panels, Huawai Inverter, Eddi,7500 Euro

and

6x360 Watt Solitek Panels, ergocell inverter, Eddi, 4400 Euro

And

7x410 Watt Jinko Panels, Guangzhou Sanjing inverter, Eddi , 5300 Euro

All prices including grants.

Second looks good to me, if they get another panel on it. Although with the calculation from page 1 , still seems very high? Reading through the thread seems reasonable as smaller systems are affected more by the installation costs.

• Advertisement

You'll struggle to match the formula especially on smaller installations. The formula is more for 14-22 panels - but yeah, that price is pretty good (the 2nd quote)

Since your looking for a relatively small system, have you looked at Saas (Solar as a Service) ? Usually very competitive.

Q1: What are people being quoted for Huawei 5kwh battery supply and install?

@Barrak said a few posts ago a 5KwH Huawei Battery would cost 3600 extra. That seems good. I've been quoted 5k which seems a lovely round and high number! Installer is back to do snag list later in week and I asked about the battery. Not part of original quote. And when I check online the prices are all very different for supply-only. I see the rule of thumb is 1k per kwh here. But 5k for a 5kwh battery pushes the break even to 'god knows when'. That's with FIT paying a half decent rate. And I know I can load shift in winter too to get more gain from a battery. 5kwh will cover our house for a lot of the day. Low usage house.

Q2: Am I locked into only Huawei battery with Huawei inverter? Unless I go the DIY route later of course with it's own separate charge controller. Reading online all I can see is it allows " the only compatible battery system listed for the reputable LG Chem RESU 7H and 10H. The Huawei inverters are also compatible with their own LUNA2000 solar Huawei battery". So LG or their own brand.

Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Hello all.

Call off the dogs. Appears there was a bit of a mix up. Spoke to them yesterday and I'm long in the tooth enough and I'm in business long enough to know the reason is genuine.

When I confirmed the job they got back and gave me an informal idea of when they could do it. That man has since retired. He never mentioned anything about a deposit, but the owner said the job wouldn't be confirmed for install until a deposit was paid which is perfectly understandable

He looked at email conversations as we spoke and apologised as he could clearly see where it slipped. I have now since paid deposit and they confirmed quickly next day and looks good to go In a few weeks.

I have some floors to dig and duct to lay now

Back to some quotes.

10 X 345kWp JA Mono panels

5.1kWh dyness battery

Tethered Zappi

€11800 total - ~€2235 solar grant = €9565

Also

10 X 345kWp JA Mono panels

Eddi for hot water

Tethered Zappi

€10800 - ~€2235 solar grant = €8565

Think that's about as good as I'm going to get.

That's bonkers pricing. Are you in Dublin or Leinster, if so just get the SaaS deal €3600 over 10 years @ €30 per month.

Similar to their name, but replace my with go and they appear to be good for that size of system, also coming in at broadly the same cost (but pay all at once)

****** don't do a battery for €30 a month. They do panels only for €30. I think the did a panels, eddi, and battery for about €95 a month, but that option has been removed in the last few weeks.

Last I talked to them they're limiting themselves to not far from Dublin, so that rules us out.

****** don't operate in my area.

Pricing has gone bonkers in general (don't forget there's a zappi included in both those prices too). I've contacted about 13-15 companies, and got quotes from about 10 of that (some didn't quote because they don't service the area). Excluding the zappi, quotes ranged from ~8500-11500 after the grant.

Post edited by Jonathan on

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

No naming installers please.

We'll go without a battery with the SaaS crowd. Buy it out. Then buy a hybrid inverter and swap it, or add a separate Storage Inverter and do that yourself, since your install is certified and the NC6 all done

There's a huge difference between €3600 and €8565

But what's the difference between 3600 + Hybrid inverter + 5kWh battery + Zappi and €8565.

Not that it makes a difference, since they don't install in my area.

Apologies @Jonathan

• Advertisement

That's different

You never mentioned the 5kW battery with that €8565 quote

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement