Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB going cashless around Kerry.

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Of course.

All banks across the World are complaining because of the Fintechs and they can't make as much profit. The excuse now is that the fintechs don't have the legacy of branches etc and all the staff/expenses it costs to run them.

KBC already provide a service in Ireland with zero branches. They did open a few office spots but all you can do in them is buy additional services, like open saving accounts. They will not accept cash.

Covid has pushed the withdraw of cash forward by about 5 years probably. I expect in next 3 years that cash will be gone, branches will be shut but you will have KBC like office spaces you can go into to talk to people about mortgages etc. As mentioned above the overhead on insuracne/cyber security/IT etc is massive just for cash points, let alone a branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭PatrickDoherty

Your 80% card payments is grand and all but it doesnt change the fact that right now and for the near to medium future people are spending fortunes in Cash annually so I dont agree with banks going cashless for that reason, 22% sounds like nothing to you but 22% of a few billion is significant to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

If these people are sending a fortune on cash, what do they need the bank for?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

How did you manage to use a bank draft with eBay? I was using PayPal on eBay more than 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,574 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Uhh... to avoid keeping it in mattresses?

The message I'm seeing here is there actually is a very large number of cash transactions. Banks, who have a vested interest in reducing such, may be lowballing the actual numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭PatrickDoherty

You're clutching at straws now, you've tried to tell us Billions in cash in circulation is outdated and finished and you also recommend storing cash in the house pmsl.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Mid - late 1990's when Paypal didn't exist, didn't own a credit card so thats how I paid sellers and they were fine with that back then.

It was a pain though 🤣

Ebay didn't really paypal until early 2000's

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

The big question is how the street beggars will survive. I don’t see them wielding plastic anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭patmahe

I know its not quite the same thing but I saw an article about a seller of the big issue getting himself a card reader because not as many people carry cash anymore so its coming. Lets face it eventually all transactions will be done using a phone/watch type device. But for the older generation for now there needs to be the option of cash, its not fair to expect an 80 year old born and rared in rural Ireland to go cashless and the regulator should tell the banks that IMO.

My parents are in their late 70's and rural Ireland, born & breed.

They use a credit card for everything. They use an iPhone etc. Some people think our older people are idiots and not able to use technology which is not true.

I am not saying some people struggle with it but the way people go on you would swear older people haven't a clue. Like my wife has an iPhone for years but in reality an old Nokia with Watsapp is all she needs :-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Exactly this!

Some people seem to think everyone over 60 is stupid!

I know plenty of people in their 60, 70 and 80's who use cards and online banking. Sometimes all it takes is a person having the patients to show how cards work!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭patmahe

I know not everybody is stupid and I don't think I used the word stupid, but some people (of all ages but more prevalent in older generations) just don't understand/want to understand tech is my point. My Dad is 78, very tech savvy and can do most online financial things, my mother on the other hand relies on him to do all of that and wouldn't have the same level of interest.

The point I was making was if you've always dealt with cash and are not tech savvy your local branch going cashless is going to have a big impact.

I used the word stupid.

Anyway I have yet to see any technology advancement without people saying XYZ will never be able to use it. Then it happens, people adapt and the World moves on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Well yes, and besides that, you acknowledge the price you pay for the item you purchase and then you don't need to count your change, which simplifies transactions. The value of currency is virtual, it isn’t based on coin or paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

It's all fine and well moaning about a branch closing but if you use online banking to pay a bill, transfer funds or even just to check your balance then you are part of the reason for the closing. Stop using online banking :)

Well thats a backwards explanation, customers were pushed Completely towards online transfers predominantly/only BY THE BANKS because thats all banks want to do. For a long time I preferred to do most of my transactions online when it became available, this was useful to me, but I still went to the bank occasionally as I had a need to do so, BUT Banks themselves limited the things you could do in the Branch, in particular enquiries or interactions outside of what an in branch ATM can do. Even in branch ATM's at least have more features than privately run ATMs in service stations, such as lodgements of cash or occasionally Drafts.

You'd think people turned their backs on in-branch transactions, when they basically had no option, because banks themselves reduced the options to carry out transactions in the Branches themselves. In Branch ATMs are useful, so not only were Banks getting rid of Branches, they dont even want to provide access to ATMs, so if they wont even provide that service, then what the flying fcuk do they actually do? other than hold and use our money? If they don't provide the services I use them for, then why simply wouldn't people move to An Post or CU for their personal banking? because thats the main reason I'm with my Bank. One posterstated in reply that the PO and CU's could turn a profit where the Banks couldn't? If its profitable for private operators of ATMs and potentially there is profitability for the PO and CU's why is it that there isn't for Banks? Its not because there isnt profit, there just isnt enough, and no matter home much there is, it will never be enough.

Also, Its my recollection that PTSB went down during Covid (possibly it was just before), all services, online, cards and the mobile app were affected, as I have a PTSB account, I also had my legacy BoI account so I wasn't stuck in terms of getting cash or making payments, but I ensured I got some extra cash to have on hand in the event the problem spread, there seems to be a fixation with ONLY having a tap/card option, whats next? they wont even provide physical cards? With such a possibility with services/systems going down, having some branches and some Bank specific ATM only locations (not just service station ATM's) is a better option for the customer to me (as if Banks cared about that). Access to cash makes sense to me, having only one option and no back-up may be cheaper for the Banks but isn't necessarily the best option for the customers.

Advertisement