Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chapelizod

Options
  • 25-07-2022 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

First time buyer looking to buy in chapelizod. Does anyone have experience of the island or knockmaree that can share?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I know the area, but haven't lived in the developments you mention.

Lovely village, but choked with traffic going to and from Castleknock. You will probably have parking in the apartments, but there is little to none in the village apart from a quick stop outside the Spar shop. The Chemist is good, open on Sundays too. Two pubs, the Villager and the Mullingar House. Haven't been in either since Covid. The Bridge pub was open, then closed and no one knows what's happening there.

It is going to get a huge influx of residents in the massive development opposite the church on the main road, and to a lesser extent at the bridge.

I probably haven't helped you much but Chappo is a very desirable area, and is close to town and the N4/M50 and Liffey Valley.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Its a traditional village- where a lot of developments in the 90s and 00s were targeted at retirees.

It is used as a rat run by a lot of people- and the traffic is completely and utterly bonkers during peak morning and evening traffic (even worse so during school term time).

If I wasn't driving anywhere- I'd have no hesitation in recommending it- but trying to get in or out of the place is bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 sadgilmore

Rented in the island for 3 years and wouldn't have left the area only for landlord sold the apartment we rented and at time we couldn't get anything else that was affordable.

Would have loved to be able to buy in the area but it was outside the budget. Location has everything, easy city access, nice cafes pubs, short drive to groceries etc. Has some mild noise at weekends but in general to be expected that close to city but nothing that would have stopped us buying there if we could have afforded the area! We left in 2019 so I don't know recently if any changes.

Parking is the only snag in that island only has one allocated parking space but it's manageable and there is 24hr visitor parking. But clamping is common

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Irish.sherpa

I really like the area much, so I’ve decided to buy an apartment there (actually closing a sale in Chapelizod this week!) .

It seems Chapelizod offers a good mix of being close to nature (Phoenix Park) and relatively close to town, plus has a couple nice cafes too. On a downside, there is no gym nor a big supermarket in the village, but there are solutions for those to be found nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭dubgirl15

Thanks for the reply! Is there much visitor parking and is it limited to a couple of hours ? Also how did you find the traffic at peak hour coming in and out?

• Advertisement

Congratulations! Hopefully I’ll be there soon too !

• Registered Users Posts: 22 sadgilmore

We had two cars at the time and managed to rent another space privately from a resident who wasn't using it. But before we sorted that it was difficult few weeks...

Visitor parking used to be a text and had 24hrs max. But it was 24hrs and literally you'd be clamped 24hrs +1min

I used to commute either bus to heuston or walk 30 mins to catch a red line Luas (you have to get a bus before 7.15 or very very difficult) then I started driving and was 45/50 min commute to saggart direction .

Yes traffic was bad but I was lucky with flexible-ish starting/finish options with work.

Id have continued to put up with all that if we coulda found affordable place to rent/buy in chapelizod.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Jay2023

Hi there,

We are First Time Buyers too and just about to go sale agreed in the island.

How do you find it since you moved there?

I love the area but don’t know nothing about the apartments.

The previous comments are reassuring. What’s the noise levels like through the walls? 😬

Thank you.

Advertisement