Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,482 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I must have missed the bit where you referenced a specific article about a specific restriction that wasn't mild? Except I didn't, because you didn't.

So I'm not clueless, I am clued in to how you are using the word hysteria on the thread to frame the argument. Well, two can play that game.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

You really are that clueless. Read my post again. My post is about the media and not about restrictions, is that hard for you to understand?

You brought restrictions up not me.

You can't even keep your story straight. This was you a few posts back:

The hysteria, the warnings, the concern and calls for restrictions seemed to be louder than the previous wave that was larger.

The only hysteria I see on this thread comes from the people who drop the word into their posts like a mantra when anyone shows any concern about covid.

But people were calling for restrictions. That part is true. Do you have a problem with that?

Sorry i don’t have any concerns about covid anymore.

And what? Why does that make it 'hysteria'? Why not an 'overreaction'? Or an 'abundance of caution'? SO it's not an argument. It's a slogan you shout to end debate.

Look at the number of times hysteria is used in posts on the thread.

Look at the number of times it is done in reference to a specific article with an argument to back it up.

It's about 99 to 1.

• Advertisement

Calling for any level of restrictions on society for a very mild illness that we have vaccines for is pure hysteria.

No you picked out the words on my post that suited your narrative. I listed quite a few things that make up the whole package of hysteria. You seem to have issue with people that are against restrictions returning.

Lets not forget the hysteria of covid causing hepatitis in kids and covid being like HIV.

Circular argument. You call it hysteria, and then refer back to it.

It's a particularly obvious and transparent debating tactic. The people you disagree with cannot possibly be reasonable people who disagree with you, but no, it is down to hysteria.

I have an issue with people who are against restrictions returning and shout hysteria to drown out any opinion they disagree with.

It's utter nonsense as an argument no matter many times you shout hysteria.

so claiming hepatitis was caused by covid and covid is the new HIV without evidence isn’t hysteria?

again my main point isn’t about restrictions.

How was covid as a possible link to childhood health issues being 'hysterical'? What definition of hysteria are you working from? And you accuse me of picking words to suit my narrative? When you deploy your meaning of 'hysteria' as a debating weapon?

Was it hysterical then to try to link it to vaccines?

Or lockdowns?

How did we know when concerns were first raised which explanation would be true?

Can people not be wrong in their concerns without it being hysteria?

Have you got every call you made on this thread about covid correct?

And were you being hysterical if you got it wrong?

Nope.

So I repeat, it's not an argument. It's a slogan.

• Advertisement

“Covid as a possible link “ lol. Social media was saturated with morons claiming it was the actual cause. Not a possibility but the main cause. If you don’t believe me check it out yourself.

You have no argument plenty of evidence out there for the hysteria.

You've gone from "the media was full if it", when challenged, to "social media was saturated with morons".

And then the classic, "If you don't believe me check it out yourself".

Right.

Just no Irish media articles or posts here that said it was the actual cause.

And instead of chellenging the people on social media, or just you know ignoring them, you shout hysteria on this thread, where there is none, except that which you seem to get worked up into by these 'morons' even though you could easily ignore them. That says a lot.

Shouting hysteria isn't an argument. It's a deliberate tactic you are using to frame the debate. And it doesn't seem to be a debate with anyone here, but with these "morons" on un-named social media.

The problem with you is if someone mentions anything against restrictions your back is up immediately. I wonder why that is.

The irish media aren’t too innocent either even though i didn’t specifically mention the irish media.

We have actual doctors with ticks after their names spreading hysteria and misinformation to gain popularity on Twitter and other platforms. They were constantly posting as fact that Hiv and covid were alike and as fact that hepatitis was definitely caused by covid despite no evidence. Funnily enough some of them are angry now because they were wrong.

Ok, what word would you describe people that I mentioned. Fearmongers? Doomongers? Alarmists? For me and as far as I’m concerned they are trying to create and spread hysteria. We now have groups looking to build communes lol.

Shouting about car crashes and plane crashes in your debates that you’re quite fond of doing isn’t an argument either.

I challenged your posts that drop the word hysteria in in place of an actual argument or evidence.

There you go again. "The Irish media aren't too innocent", "constant whinging from the media".

You keep dropping in lines like that, other posters challenge you and you tell them to go look themselves. Utterly pointless.

You keep shouting hysteria on this thread yet never point to the article or post which demonstrates it. The only hysteria I see on this thread - you and posters like you bring. So far as I'm concerned ye are only people spreading hysteria, and generating hysteria in yourselves at the very thought someone somewhere is concerned about covid.

Why do they have to be anything? Why you have to label the people you disagree with as anything? So you don't have to refute their argument? Just label them to the people who already agree with you? It's a slogan not an argument.

It's a dead-end to discussion and an attempt to 'other' people who you disagree with. Made even more pointless by the fact they don't seem to be on this thread but on some un-named social media sites where you encounter these 'morons' and you just allude to what they are saying here.

Every single media article that is posted every day ALL feeds into the hysteria.

In the past few days we've seen polls about masks, warnings from the WHO, stuff about long COVID, warnings from the government that winter will be way worse.

If people choose not to read this stuff, fair enough. But a quick Google will give you a list of the recent articles.

It's pure hysteria nonsense and it's about time they knock it off.

If every single media article that is posted every day all feeds into the hysteria... that must include your (social) media ones.

Every post you make about covid is keeping it on people's radar. So you are feeding the hysteria even as you try to downplay it because according to your definition it's every article. Regardless of content.

Come back to us when you have an actual argument and not a slogan and a label.

I have the Covid at the moment. Ahh. Actually no, shock horror, I’m fine. The worst thing is the boredom. I’d a bad back and a hangover/tired day (had a few pints day before testing). And fine now. I’ve always been anti lockdown and restrictions, but thought I’d still rather not catch it. Had my booster back at Xmas just in case. But jaysus, is this it? We had 9 year olds in masks for 5 hours a day over this?

Ironically my OH caught Covid first, about 5 days before me. She wore her mask religiously until last week, backed every restriction, wanted mandatory masks. Caught it before me, had a few days of mild symptoms worse than mine, still milder than a flu though. Now that she’s caught it, she’s seen through it all. Now acknowledges that it’s completely unavoidable, and that the protections she believed in did nothing. I joked congratulations on coming to the dark side.

Now I know some hero will be along to mention long Covid or patronise the vulnerable but for the vast vast majority of the 100,000s of Irish that have had Omicron, it’s a minor irritant to mild illness. Let’s hope we don’t hear a winter of ‘wear masks to save the HSE’.

(on that, the HSE must have some spare millions around. Mind numbing ‘todays special is sourdough and so and so is 12 weeks pregnant. Wear a mask etc’ ads all over Today FM and other radio stations news bulletins today). I’d say the HSE’s advertising budget during Covid would pay a good few annual salaries for nurses..

Im baffled as always by what you are actually attempting to even argue here...?

Do you think articles linking COVID to erectile dysfunction is not hysteria?

Do you disagree that there is endless articles about COVID?

The only COVID news there should be right now is "Another wave passes with no issues".

If you have some kind of point to make, make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭amandstu

Did your OH wear a N95 mask and was she/he careful about social distancing and ventilated buildings etc?

Or did they wear a blue mask and expect that to afford protection?

I ask because I have avoided this infection till now(am also vaccinated) and have good reason to want to keep it that way (did 3 antigen tests this week for very minor symptoms which were all negative)

Judging by the reaction to my previous post I seem to have been proven correct. In thread reality any mention of covid in the media is automatically “hysteria”. It’s like ye can hear or read nothing else. This seems to be an inability of some to let go of their rage developed over the previous two years. Really strange behaviour to be honest. Some introspection wouldn’t go astray

• Advertisement

Any mention of COVID is not hysteria. It would be fine to Print the odd article saying "latest wave passes with no issues"

That's not very scary though is it?

So we churn out articles on a daily basis and even stoop low enough to try claim that COVID causes erectile dysfunction...

The politicians can't help themselves either.

Many articles on a daily basis for such a mild illness is pure hysteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Is there anything to be said for a bit more hysteria?!

Seriously though, anyone denying that the media are not contributing to hysteria/fearmongering/doommongering must be watching different TV stations, listening to different radio channels, and reading different newspapers to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

This thread really is crazytown. What flucking "hysteria" are you all seeing? Only hysteria is here with the usual oddballs. Get outside for a walk. Jeez.

It's amazing how far some people will go to defend or even deny that the hysteria is occuring.

Just in the last 2 weeks we've had polls about masks, grim warnings from the WHO about winter, warnings from our top politicians about winter, comparisons of COVID to HIV, articles about long COVID, articles trying to link COVID to erectile dysfunction and many more.

To deny that this is all over the news every day is frankly bizarre...

Edit: just as I typed this I see another new article on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,259 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Some people talk a lot of tosh on both sides.

My niece, five years old, had Covid 6 months ago and has a cough ever since. If that doesn't cause concern for anybody then you are living under a rock.

I'm the only sibling of six that hasn't yet caught covid. I'm not avoiding people but I rarely drink so I'm not in pubs. I wear a mask in crowded areas but not when things are normal. I'm sure I'm going to get it at some stage but I'd like to avoid it as I've went this long without getting it even though I think that's unlikely.

You have people still wearing masks walking down the street and they are one extreme but on the other side you have those who are going around hugging people and saying look at me I'm in a crowd and there's no worries. I'd put both of these groups in the same category as not very informed about covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭celt262

Honestly i have not seen any hysteria as i go about my day to day business. I think if people want it they will find it but the vast majority are getting on with things as it was before March 2020. I would advise you to take a step back from viewing RTE information it may help you.

Nobody is talking about hysteria on a day to day basis. I haven’t seen any either. It’s completely normal out there. It was pointed out on the media, social media etc.

Maybe that some people suggesting an insurrection on the small state Wyoming in the USA to take it over to set up commune camps to shut them off from normal people isn’t hysteria then. 🙄 Apparentlly a million people getting together might pull it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭celt262

That's not hysteria that's some brainless morons and the problem with social media etc these fruit cakes get way to much attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,249 ✭✭✭Juwwi

99% of people are back to normal from what l see everyday ,there's no hysteria anywhere .

Newspapers print bad news ,good news doesn't sell ,it's as simple as that.

Posters searching the internet everyday looking for Covid articles on rte or online polls just to come onto boards and moan that's there's another article or poll is just bizarre .

2 1/2 years of Covid you'd imagine they'd be glad to get back to normal instead of making up this nonsense about hysteria out there .

• Advertisement

It’s hysteria. It’s usually the brainless morons that create it with their false information and wild claims of illness without evidence. Social media is full of people demanding society should be shut down.

Advertisement