Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed versus Variable Mortgages

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

Give this free advice to your friend - get a different advisor.

That's appalling advice considering standard variable rates have been HIGHER than most fixed rates for the past 10 years because the banks screw you on standard variable rates.

Long term fixed rates have never been better and are lower than most European equivalent rates - that's a first.

The Avant 20 year fixed is so good that it has caused a huge backlog in applications and they are taking more staff on to cope. - And is lower than almost all variable rates with ECB at zero!

That's how ridiculous the advice to go with a variable rate it. Stupid ridiculous and probably against the central bank rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Amik

Using the latest ICS rates for Loan-to-Value ≤90% as an example: variable is advertised as 2.70% and 5 years fixed 3.69%.

The way the market is going we'd expect the variable rate to exceed the fixed over 5 years? Another 1% ECB hike is likely I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭lau1247

Little know quirk with AIB and Haven (didn't check for the other lenders). Credit to the folks at Ask About Money Forum. The way AIB calculate the break charge (For overpayment and/or breaking from Fixed). If you take the 5 years Green (Or the standard 5 years or 3 years), it is almost always going to be zero break charge because the way they set the 4 years, 2 years and 1 year rate to be higher. Therefore when you take the formula into account regarding how they calculate, you will pretty much be getting a negative value for the percentage difference parameter (Especially with the rate rise expected).

Therefore you get the best of the rates and the option to overpay (like a variable) with no penalties.

Fix it for 5 Years Green if you can, or if not for whatever reason, standard 5 years LTV or 3 years LTV would be the next best choice (assuming you are with AIB)

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Would a 30 year fixed rate of 2.95% be a good option as a first time buyer over a 30 year period? There are 20 year terms also, but i'm wondering if taking the potential risk of rates going very low 2/3s in with a 30 fixed would be worth it? Would mean a consistent monthly mortgage without the worry of similar to now happening down the line again.

Beverly Hills, California

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Unless someone has a really good crystal ball, we are not going to have an answer for you. As you pointed out yourself the advantage is certainty as to how much you will pay. And as such it is most attractive if you are on some kind of fixed or limited income, where your expectations of a pay increase is limited around a cost of living increase.

On the other hand, the bank pitches the rate at a level that they expect to make a decent profit over the thirty years so their guess is probably better than most at this point. The main thing to consider is the costs and rules for breaking out of the contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

A pity the AIB's mortgage advisor I recently spoke with in a branch was not aware of this. After ringing their mortgage centre they confirmed the above but advised to ask prior to making an over payment in case there would be a penalty in the future.

The peace of mind that it gives is great. I believe you can also transfer it to another property if you move.

The current 0% ECB is due to the banking collapse and exceptional recession and safeguards have been put in place so that it cannot happen again, and therefore the chances of any decent term of 0% returning is very low.

The ecb's stated medium term target is 2% inflation and "neutral" interest rates. Basically 1.75%/2% interest rates. (this would mean circa 4.5-5% retail rates) But no-one can really say what things will be like in 10 or 15 years, but if I were buying a house today and could get 300k for a payment of 1255 a month and know that this will never change, I'd go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Have the change-of-rate form in front of me, fixing. 9 years to go.

5 yr 2.35

7 yr 2.95

10 yr 3.10

Which?

My gut tells me our current woes are here for a while, probably beyond 5 years. Just a hunch, I've done very little reading. Big enough difference between the 5 and 10 year, though 9 might go for .1 lower, if they agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭raxy

You only have 9 years? If so there is not much difference either way. I'd fix for 5yrs. The balance after that would be small enough that a higher rate would not have a huge impact so I'd take the lower rate & hope for the best when it ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Is there any sign of interest rates to rise yet?.....wasn't it hinted strongly that it would happen in July?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

The ECB have basically said they'll announce an increase in their rates after their July monetary policy meeting, which is due to take place on July 21st, and most increases will likely come on the back of that, aside from those already announced, of course.

Are we realistically looking at banks waiting until September before applying the increase?

What effect in Euro would a .8% rate reduction have on 100,000 borrowing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Difficult to say, trackers will go up immediately, fixed rates for new business/undrawn loans could jump more promptly than refix rates for existing customers, depending on Ts&Cs. KBC are obliged to give at least 30 days notice of any change to customers, not sure if the same applies for in progress applications.

Too many variables, your term being the most obvious omission. Big difference between 10 and 30 years, for example. I'd suggest plugging the values into a calculator online for your specific case, Karl's mortgage calculator is a common recommendation if you Google that.

Looks like I was a bit generous with my time lines going on past performance from AIB. Have a gander at the deposit and lending rates truly different times 15 years ago.

24. (15.06.2007) AIB announces changes to its interest rates.pdf

Switched to fixed rate with AIB at .8% lower. Was hoping to see some reduction in monthly payments but next to nothing.

depends on the term left and when the switch was done - you may only have had a part month at the new rate.

If 30 years, 100k loan would see a €41 drop per month.

If 15 years left, the .8% would see €38 drop

If 10 years left, 100k balance would see €36 drop

Over a year, this is about €450. If you pay high rate tax, its about €900 of your pre-tax earnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Masch8933

I would read your fix term contracts very carefully.

I know they are different countries, but I have a 10 year fixed rate (0.6%), I enquired to my lender how much it would cost to break it 2 years in.

They reverted advising that they would pay me a substantial 5 figure sum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Merowig

AFAIK that is only valid for AIB - not for their subsidiaries Haven and EBS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭jj880

Anyone get a letter yet from BOI with increased 0.5% mortgage payment amount? They should send one out right?

Depending on what it is I will definitely look into fixing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭raxy

Boi said they aren't passing on the rate increase so only tracker rates will rise.

Sorry should have said I'm on tracker. Want to know what 0.5% rise means for me asap for a full month's payment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Q&A

What's your balance, term and rate you were paying before the rates increase?

I managed to get logged into BOI mortgage viewer online. Didnt know that was there. Thats handy. No mention of any new monthly payment though.

It says:

Mortgage balance is €40,331.61

20 year term with maturity date of 31st January 2028

Rate before increase: ECB + 1.25%

Edit: @Q&A any update? I tried a mortgage calculator and it came out at 10 euro more per month for every .5% rise but that sounds very low. Maybe I'm using it wrong.

Post edited by jj880 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Q&A

Sounds about right to me. Before the interest rate increase I would have said your monthly repayments were about €633 and that will go to about €641 after the increase.

And lets say there was a similar % increase every 2 months for a year it seems the monthly increase amount would decrease slightly also as the term gets nearer to the end. Ok thanks. That's nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be.

I think I'll take my chances that ECB rate will not rise above 5% and may even come back down a bit in a few years as things calm down.

• Administrators Posts: 54,006 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Unless you are literally scraping together the money to pay your current mortgage payments I don't think you have anything to worry about. If the ECB rate ever reaches that level (unlikely), you'll have your mortgage long paid off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

My sister is on a tracker mortgage currently 1.05% but is going to rise 0.5% in August's mortgage payment. It's actually a high increase believe it or not considering it was hard enough for her to pay the current amount. But on the bright side it has been 1.05% for well over 10 years.

Your balance is 40k. Interest rates won't affect you much.

If rates went up by 5%, you would increase by about €110 a month. So a 0.5% increase is about €11 a month.

Rates are calculated daily on the reducing balance and spread over the remaining term. The interest portion of your mortgage is about €450 a year and reducing - the rest goes off your capital balance. Next July your balance will be about €33,000. If your tracker was at 4% at that point, the interest costs would be less than €1100 for the following 12 months.

Anyone with small balances and less than 5 years left need not be concerned that their payments will increase by much

• Advertisement

Not a chance in hell. ECB won't overly surprise the market. Their aim is for average 2%. It might go to 3% for a short time and reduce back to about 2% or less.

Advertisement