Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

apparently pat fitz took them 4 all irelands with him when he left as tressure of the county board , all he left us with was a badly combed wig and a 1970s st Bernard brand purple jumper .....

Week one of the Clare hurling championships all done and dusted. The first game yesterday in the Park saw Sixmilebridge take on Newmarket on Fergus. The Bridge were impressive in the second half after a sloppy first 30 mins that saw them hit as many wides as points (11). They outscored NOF 12 points to 4 to run out 7 point winners.

In the same group at the Bridge the story of the weekend saw Feakle beat Clonlara, a last minute point from the ever reliable Shane McGrath saw them run out 1-17 to 1-16 against a Clonlara team that had John Conlan in their side. Feakle v the Bridge is sure to be a tasty affair next weekend in Ennis.

As expected both Ballyea and Cratloe had comfortable wins over O Callaghans Mills and Clarecastle respectively. The latter two IMO are potential relegation contenders. Both Ballyea, the defending county champions and Cratloe have Canon Hamilton aspirations later in the season.

In the intermediate championship, the favorites for the title St Joseph's Doora Barefield had six points to spare over the Mills' second team. But for me the team to beat this year are Corofin. They got sweet revenge from their last year's surprise quarter-final loss against yesterday opponents and near neighbours Ruan and won by 9 points. From the Cahill brothers, Jamie Malone, Cillian McGroary, Killian O'Connor they have a mix of youth and experience and have all the tools to go on and achieve senior hurling in 2023.

Next weekend is the second week of the hurling championship. Pick of the ties sees Kilmaley the Clare Cup champions v Eire Og Ennis, both teams could go very deep for Canon Hamilton honours this year. That will probably be my first game to watch in this year's county championships in the flesh.

On a football note, it was interesting to read that former Clare hurling star Tony Griffin was part of the Kerry backroom team to help the mental preparation of the Kingdom. Fair play to him and well done to Kerry, deserving All-Ireland champions this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

They had them in the programme today in Croke Park and apology and acknowledgement of editorial error.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I wonder does that then exclude Davy from the Laois or Dublin intercounty roles, I thought he was in contention for those

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Figerty

crazy stuff , fitz cant commit to any more then a few weeks , i was at the game saturday , you could sense from a few fairly high profile mills people not too far from me that this was on the cards and things within the camp was divided ,

some amount of politics at play here too ,but given how well the 2nd team done against barefield and how poor the senior team was you knew something was up , big game next sunday in the park now against clarecastle

If they lose or even draw with Clarecastle they will be in the relegation mix. And that's not a good place to be this year.

Broadford will be chewing timber to play the mills this year.

broadford will be delighted with last weeks results , they will fight like dogs against anyone in that group , there was no fight in either clarecastle or the mills last week ,

the mills have the players to turn it around , its all about how much fight is in the stomach now , they were miles off there men last week when putting in a challenge i still think they will have enough for clarecastle , but as that relegation game last year showed there is probably nothing between them , gary cooney has some big questions to answer now over the next few weeks

If I were in Clarecastle, I would be targeting matches rather than putting in a show against the strongest teams. For the Mills, their ambitions would be higher. I don't know the internal goings on in the mills but it's a funny state of affairs that they bring in Davy. The Davy and Dolan mix is a pure optics thing given what happened earlier in the year. They both said they didn't really know each other but now, suddenly, they are in management together.

The mills are a decent club, it's odd they got dragged into this mire.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Davy's son is going to help out with the Mills as well, or so I've heard. From county final to relegation mix isn't a good look for any club and you can imagine that this is because of background issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

The weekends Senior fixtures:

Clooney Quin V Scariff Senior Hurling Championship Gp 3 Rd 1 Sixmilebridge 2:00 PM - Live Streamed

Ballyea V Broadford Senior Hurling Championship Gp 2 Rd 2 Shannon 2:00 PM

Smith O'Brien V Wolfe Tones Shannon Senior Hurling Championship Gp 4 Rd 1 Sixmilebridge 4:00 PM - Live Streamed

Inagh-Kilnamona V CrusheenSenior Hurling Championship Gp 4 Rd 1 Cusack Park 5:00 PM - Live Streamed

Newmarket on Fergus V Whitegate Senior Hurling Championship Gp 1 Rd 2 Tulla 5:00 PM - Live Streamed

Kilmaley V Éire Óg Ennis Senior Hurling Championship Gp 3 Rd 1 Cusack Park 7:00 PM - Live Streamed

Tickets:

https://www.universe.com/users/clare-gaa-C4SGRV

€10 per game

Live Streaming:

https://page.inplayer.com/claregaa/

€10 per game or €25 for the weekend

Results from the Clare senior hurling championship

Wolfe Tones Shannon 2-17 Smith O'Briens 1-12

Ballyea 1-22 Broadford 0-13

Clooney Quin 1-16 Scariff 0-13

HT Scores

Newmarket on Fergus 0-7 Whitegate 0-7

Inagh Kilnamona 1-11 Crusheen 0-7

Eire Og Ennis take on Kilmaley at 7 pm tonight in Ennis.

I left the Eire Og v Kilmaley game just before half time. The standard of refereeing has collapsed in Clare. Some baffling decisions by the referee. As an Eire Og fan I’m fuming. I’ll get in trouble if I say anymore but anyone that thinks that there isn’t some kind of Anti Eire Og conspiracy from refs and the CB, they’re delusional. All off the back of the Eire Og backed Saffron and Blue report a game changer for Clare GAA long term, seven months later Pat Fitz retires.

Serious lack of referees and linesmen a big issue and Seanie McMahon, the Clare referees administrator has major questions to answer. The whole system in Clare is corrupt.

Second to the ball all evening. Lost ball all evening and couldn't handle the physicality in the full-back line. If you do any of these then you are going to suffer,. Eire Og did all three. Two of the full-back line gone in the first half and the full-back was being cleaned by a young lad. That's where the problem was. They set up for defending short puck outs and Kilmaley went long.

The penalty Eire Og got shouldn't have been given.

When they got their act together in the second half for 20 minutes they were the better team. O'Donnel and Reidy were a class apart, Kilmaley a better team.

Only Eire Og think there is an anti-Eire Og conspiracy,..yes, ye are paranoid. Constantly mouthing to ref and supporters abusing the ref doesn't help.

Eire Og lucky to be only a goal down at the end. That final goal may be hugely important in score difference later.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Jesus were you at the same match I was at? Eire Og got a very soft penalty in the first half and the goal they got at the end had about 3 Eire Og lads in the square as the free was being taken let alone when the ball was hit

I hope you replied to the wrong post! I agree with you. It's theclaretideisturning has the issue. I have just seen the penalty call. There was no penalty.

good win for kilmaley tonight , first half performance was excellent , mikey o'malley was outstanding as was tom barry , and brian mcnamara

the latter is a serious athlete probably the best footballer in the county under 20 at the moment but has serious intercounty hurling potential if he can stay in games longer as he has a habit of drifting out of games for 10 or 15 minutes , daire keane must have turned down that wedding invitation because he was back to his best also tonight , worrying for kilmaley is that he seems to be the only ball winner whin the chips are down

as regards the referee , and clare refereeing , i imagine the directive from the board is to let as much go as possible , several championship games i have attended over the last two weeks have been controlled in the same manner , and in truth its no bad thing , a number of county championships over the last 5 or 6 years were nothing more then free taking competitions

eire og were tactually inept tonight it took them 40 minutes to get there match ups right , the first half performance was terrible , and but for shane o'donnells brilliance it could have been embarrassing , they played a nice fast brand of direct hurling in the second half for the last 15 to 20 minutes and nearly snatched it , but the tactics imployed in the first half was scandals , too short and predictable , they have a fantastic side but no game plan at the moment

impressive wins also for inagh/k , clooney quinn , and especially wolfe tones today , the shannon men look real dark horses with the inclusion of billy connors . add him to a side with , dara lohan , rory hayes , cuningham and shanagher and thats as good on paper in the county at the moment , billy was outstanding today, if he ever fancied himself as an inter county hurler we would open the double doors with open arms a fantastic hurler

inagh/k were never troubled by crusheen good solid performance by a good solid side there qustions will be asked of them in the latter rounds

newmarket will stay senior if nothing else after comfortably seeing off whitegate , not contenders at the moment but rebuilding well,

clooney are for the future some really tallented lads coming through at the moment over there , they look to be able to mix the play comfortably from short to long with with little fuss , add in duggan and ryan taylor and they enter the dark horse group of contenders , probably a year or two too early for a serious challenge but looked really good in terrible conditions

in the intermediate , barefield did what was expected of them today with a handy win over killenena , ogonnelloes win however has tulla looking in real trouble going forward , a mighty win for the lough derg men that nobody saw coming

Sorry, yes I quoted the wrong post, Townies feeling hard done by when they have a professional playing for them and their managers being completely inept, I spotted the ref Malone having to calm down some of the lads who were taken off.

• Advertisement

Agree with this completely, Eire Ogs management cost them the game, Kilmaley had their home done and got their homework done, it took injuries for Eire Og and Kilmaley turning off to keep them in the game. Eire Og made panicked subs who didn't add much, Kilmaleys subs rose their game, i think 2 of the 3 scored

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭caddy16

Agree with you apart from the penalty. I was down that side and the Kilmaley corner back broke his Hurley across SOD, it was 100 % the right call, I don't think they could decide who did it though so no one was booked.

I have the video, I think you are right on the hurley. O'Donnell's class dummy made it go from a block down to a block across the arm, instead a hook/block. Pure class from O'Donnell.

I watched the match back there, if anything it should have been a free out, O'Donnell launched himself at the goalie. There was about 4 Eire Og lads in the square at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Guys Eire Og have a fantastic squad. The best in Clare in my opinion. They don't have a winning mentality,haven't had it since the late 80s or early 90s. They never play for the full 70. They finally beat Sixmilebridge last year and it took years of beatings from tbe Bridge to finally stir them in an excellent performance. I think there's an issue in the club. Always whinging yet rarely performing on the pitch.

I ll compare Eire Og with Na Piarsaigh down the dual carriageway. Na Piarsaigh weren't liked because it led to the demise of Treaty Sarsfields club. They were also seen as outsiders full of Tipp ,Clare ect. And Northside townies. They didn't whinge. They knuckled down and finally made tbe breakthrough and stayed ontop more or less. They also produce aggressive players like William O Donoghue. Eire Og don't produce that sort of player . You have to have a mix of skill and aggression.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

I think you could argue that was after the fact. To be fair his momentum would have brought him into the goals. The goalie stood his ground it was a good save; very hard to stop O'Donnell in that position. I wouldn't fault O'Donnell at all for coming through.

O'Donnell got some very soft frees, I always thought if you touched the goalie in the small square it was a free out, it was a good save it was never a penalty in my opinion.

You can't 'tackle' a goalie in the square.. not the same as not touching him. The penalty came from the challenge from the cornerback. O'Donnell plays the double swerve very well. Moves left, then right into the man and lift the hurley up as though impeded.. He usually is a the backs have to hang off him.

Eire Og have some basic skills issues.

Aron Fitz tried to bulldoze his way out at the end of the first half. He dropped the head and put the shoulder out in front and then was livid when pulled for charging. Likewise, Corry lost the plot when he dropped the hurley in front of the ref, even if it was held he still let it go. With better coaching (probably at underage) most of the mistakes made could have been avoided. Or another was trying to block a player coming in with his shoulder instead of the body with the arms up..easy free for a ref.

• Advertisement

Eire Og have major issues full stop, their sideline was a disgrace yesterday, Gerry O'Connor was constantly being told to get off the pitch, players coming off were swearing at management, Niall Malone had to calm a few of them down in the stand, panicked subs. Kilmaley's sideline was a lot more measured, small things like making substitutions on the opposition puck out make a huge difference.

Advertisement