Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Germany needs a bailout

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

You obviously do not believe that Ukraine is not worth sacrificing European gas supplies so what would be worth it. So I am interested where do you draw the line.

Would the Baltic republics be worth it?

How about Poland, is it worth it?

Finland, is it worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,259 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Its not about Ukraine anymore.

No one believes Russia will stop at Ukraine or where ever is next.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Because the Russians have shown themselves oh so trustworthy and worth investing faith in to just return to normal anyway. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Horrible attitude to have. Russia invaded a sovereign country and are engaging in all kinds of horrible war crimes, I'm proud the EU has taken a strong stance on them. If they were to be left alone who knows where they'd invade next.

It's funny how everyone is pro Ukraine until they think it might inconvenience them somewhat.

Its not even about the war. Its bad business supplier who cuts you off at whim.

Its a sure why to kill your business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Labaik

What about the Saudi gas? It seems good enough for the west all the while there bombing Yemen back to the stone age.

Russia did not wake up one day and decide what the hell we will invade and bomb Ukraine for no reason whatsoever. Its a complex issue.

Russia are totally wrong. But ask yourself what would the U.S do if an enemy wanted to set up military bases on the borders in Mexico? Would they allow it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I am currently in Poland and pass by a queue of Ukrainians who are getting food and essential goods from a charity every day. There is a Ukrainian family in an apartment across from me.

I have absolutely no problem when I return to Ireland (even though we don't have Russian Gas) in waking up in the morning cold, or putting on extra clothes around the house.

My cooker is gas too. I have no problem in having my days being limited to 3 or so days a week and I can meal prep for the week via the microwave. I can even just use my slow cooker.

Being inconvenienced is nothing of what Ukrainians are going through.

This didn't start with Ukraine.

This is about a police state and dictator wanting to keep democracy as far away as possible.

You have a better example than Mexico in Cuba. What did the US do. Economic blockade.

You need to brush up on your history, we were moments away from nuclear war during the Cuban Missile crisis.

Im pretty sure millions of citizens in the middle east and latin America think America and some European countries are also ran by war mongering dictators.

Did the U.S not like the democracy in Iran when the over threw there elected government in the 50s and installed a Brut of a dictator called the Shah.

You see if you want a fair and just world you need to be consistent and set good examples for others to follow. Do you think the world police in the west have done that the past few decades? I think not.

So you're suggesting the US should have invaded Cuba bombed it into rubble. Interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,693 ✭✭✭brickster69

And Scholtz thought it was because of a turbine. Prices going to go through the roof for LNG now.

Blackmail !!!!!!!!!

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

I don't understand why the EU don't just grow a pair and slap a 10-20% tariff on trade with all countries who continue to trade with Russia. A boycott is pretty meaningless when it's just done by the few.

China and India are benefiting hugely from this crisis; rewarded for having zero morals. fck'em

Havent they done that to enough countries the last few decades.

Master stroke from Putin. Making the E.U unelected suits look the fools they are.

Europe gas prices close up 20%, near $2,240 per 1,000 cubic meters. Up nearly 50% since Thursday

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

No they haven't leveled entire cities indiscriminately as has been done in the Ukraine.

Good luck trying to get that business back. He's committed to the lowest bidder now.

He's rearmed NATO, increased it's membership. He's made the Russian military look obsolete. Which will help sales there too.

Master stroke. A stroke maybe.

U.S. Nat Gas futures surged more than 11% Tuesday to $9.75 per MMBtu, the highest since July 2008

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

A masterstroke? Are you insane, he's totally destroying his economy, Russia's international reputation and put Russia on the fast track to North Korean status.

All Eyes On Rafah

Pretty sure I read somewhere that the Ruble was the best performing currency on the planet this year. Hardly a sign of an economy that is being destroyed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

No idea how anyone can see this as a Master stroke. He has just hit industry in Russia and now these companies cannot be trusted anymore on the international market. He has probably cost Russia billions

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Germany has an interesting history with LNG, it is the only sizeable economy in Europe that has no LNG terminal.

Merkel fought the idea every day of her Chancellorship.

Unusual you would think given how important gas is to Germany. Places like Poland have several, put a real emphasis on gas storage as well. Germany, not so much, that advise was ignored as well.

It's not a traded currency. So it's value is not known.

It's a broken economy. Can't trade, can't import, the rouble makes it more expensive to export. It's a short term glut.

The issue isn't now. It's what happens in a few years after the current shortages level off. Will anyone with a choice go with Russia risk the same thing again.

At some point the west will realize it's imports are propping up the economies of other countries while damaging their own. We'll be back to big import taxes to bias domestic production.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

They are defaulting on their debt,

No one will buy their goods,

They have stolen planes from commercial entities.

The Ruble is only good on paper. Nothing more. Sure what can you do with it? The rouble has strengthened even more because the price of fossil fuels went up and they are still selling. On the other hand western governments have sanctioned Russia or western businesses have chosen not to sell their goods there, so imports are down, this skew in import/export has created an even stronger demand for roubles. The gold peg helped it for a little but now it is redundant.

Whole reason for the Ruble looking good is the RuZZian government desperate for it to look good, so it's artificially inflated. Sure you can barely buy foreign currency over there and companies are forced to deal in Rubles.

So yeah, they can make their sh1t currency look good, but everyone knows its complete sh1t.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

If was more or less worthless so yes it was only going one direction. All other currency has gone down because of the war

Nothing to be shouting about. It is still more or less worthless. See today rate

1 Russian Ruble equals

0.016 Euro

US very concerned that the EU sanctions could boomerang back on them now also.

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'm sure the EU will take the attitude that ze Germans need to take their medicine and learn their lesson, as they insisted that the Greeks, Spanish, Irish and Italians did. Some sort of energy burden sharing would surely be unthinkable, right?

Anyway when the EU decides that Germanys myopic greed is everyone elses problem, expect our two branch managers to implement rationing with extra gusto. Time for Paddy to put ze red yellow und black shirt on and freeze for Europe.

If they drop the sanctions then Russia and China and everyone else will **** the EU raw.

The sanctions are the only thing convincing the rest of the world that Europe has any balls left.

• Advertisement

Never happen, they would rather freeze screaming out loud

- Camille Paglia

Advertisement