Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Bargains - Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Exactly what I was thinking while I was scrolling through the comments. The profits they must have made during covid have got to have been nothing short of astronomical.

I read some comments a while back, and one stuck with me that mentioned when Bezos stood down, watch how greedy the board will become. They will change things for the worse (bigger profits), prices will go up and sales won't be as fruitful for the customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭bromley52

I wonder what Turkish prime will go up to?

I would gladly pay €20+ per month for Amazon Prime, it is by far the best value for me compared to the other alternatives.

• Prime delivery
    • Unlimited photo storage
    • Prime video
    • Amazon Music
    • Prime gaming
    • Prime reading

etc.

I got a wardrobe delivered from Amazon recently with free delivery. The delivery fee to get something similar delivered from the likes of IKEA would cost me more than my entire month's subscription and it certainly wouldn't arrive in the 3 days my wardrobe did, but I'm sure no one is whining about that.

It's a very modest increase as well as the first in a good while, and it's a much smaller increase than my other bills have been this year.

Just typical Irish begrudgery from people who likely ordered a €20 takeaway last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

It's a publicly traded company, there is no such thing as enough of a profit there. I'm sort of happy that Amazon started maxing out the profits and presumably losing customers already now before they managed to butcher the retail market even more than they already have. It's a price-bot run platform that undercuts competition until there is none left and then methodically probes what's the max the customers are willing to pay. Look at their shoes dpt - the most common sizes very often cost way more than the rest - a practice unseen in B&M stores. Sure there are bargains to be had and their customer service generally is still great, but we know where this is heading - once they get even more of the market, they won't bother that much with CS anymore, they won't have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Is Amazon Music available with Prime in Ireland? Isn't Video a lesser product for us too? I have it mostly for the the delivery. Very good value for that.

• Advertisement

Everything is a lesser product for us, including delivery (2 days vs 1 day). It's still by far worth it for me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Have had Prime since the only thing you got was the next day delivery so kind of still have in my head that all the streaming, storage, music, reading etc are just extra bonuses. Obviously that is nonsense, but it's by far the best value for money for what you get I think. Dropped Netflix a while ago, but keeping Disney because of Star Wars for me, and having a child which means you need Disney.

Despite being the most expensive, Prime would be the last one to cancel if it came to that as get the most other services out of it.

No idea, I pay extra for Amazon Music Unlimited which is available. My guess would be that it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nanoc

Wouldn't mind too much but to be honest the amount of stuff they won't deliver here anymore is growing by the day. Coffee is a good example but tonnes of others too.

I thought that would all change with the big Irish distribution centre but alas no, only getting tigher. Might buy the annual sub in September and see how that works out but increasingly frustrated with them.

Got some great prime day deals all the same 😁

• Advertisement

The increasingly poor product availability to Ireland really is a pain. Customer service not what it once was, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,412 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It's not Irish begrudgery though (careful you don't start sounding like Tubridy). They have definitely been reaping in the profits more than anyone during covid.

As for €20 per month.. Nope. Maybe if you order enough stuff from them.

• Prime delivery - I don't need or order enough from them. I got a few prime trials and there was an error on many orders. While I realise not the norm, wasn't for me.
    • Unlimited photo storage - I don't need or would use - Very hard to get them back and leave the platform.
    • Prime video - I didn't use once when had a free year with eir. Meant to watch The Camino Voyage, but never got around to it.
    • Amazon Music - Don't need.
    • Prime gaming - Don't need.
    • Prime reading - Don't need.

Their digital platforms all do seem a decent price when lumped together though, I will admit that, but the loss that they are reporting is surely down to covid. The figures were skewed because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Cookiee

I find if I order around 7am I get next day delivery to Dublin, it's definitely a thing here, just have to order before a certain time (I think before 7:30 or 8)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Only use prime on a free month maybe twice a year if I have to buy a few things

Other then that I have a Plex as subscription that takes care of all my TV / Movie content for £6 a month

It is Irish begrudgery. They are a profit making business. They set their Prime subscriptions prices at a price that they believe will make them the most money and always have. Their current prices are not lower than they will be shortly out of the goodness of their heart. Their models showed that those prices made them the most profit. Their models now show that increasing their prices by this particular amount will instead maximise profit. Complaining about a business maximising their profits is not only begrudgery, but bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,952 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Imagine that! A business that is set up to maximise their profits?? 🤯

• Registered Users Posts: 46,026 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Agreed. I can't understand why people are being critical of a successful business especially when they add a minimal amount on to cover the extra cost or part of the extra cost it now has to pay for shipping/delivery with fuel and transport costs in the up and up. If it's too expensive then shop elsewhere.

While generally true, this is a very simplistic view of it. Compare e.g. how most publicly traded US companies operate in slow-growth periods vs German Mittelstand family-owned businesses. Two different worlds.

• Advertisement

I'm the opposite. I will stop using Amazon Prime if I've worked out that the cost outweighs the benefits. I will not simply drop a service that is very beneficial to me due to a £1 price increase because "big businesses = evil" while I sip on my €3 Starbucks coffee, like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,412 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

more like 3.50 now. with a lot less complaints about the increase.

Now, complaining about the price of coffee is bizarre.

Just kidding, of course. The business has the right to raise prices and the customers have the right to complain, nothing bizarre about that.

Woah there Batman. First of all, I didn't complain that they were maximising profits. "Irish Begrudgery" must be a global thing so.. 🙄 I made reference to comments that stood with me that were made on another forum (sleeping dogs).. Those comments just mentioned that with Bezos gone, the board will make changes everywhere including more costs, including price increases for services and products, and cutbacks elsewhere. I have noticed some of them since. There were more comments.

Nothing wrong with maximising profits, but why people are fawning over amazon as if they are the be all and end all no matter where their prices go etc. is beyond me.

That said, a little bit of criticism may be welcomed by them, it is unlikely to do them any harm anyway. It is also possible, although very unlikely that they may even listen to some of it.

First of all, I didn't complain that they were maximising profits.

"watch how greedy the board will become."

That's exactly what you did.

but why people are fawning over amazon as if they are the be all and end all no matter where their prices go etc. is beyond me.

Who in this thread is fawning over Amazon? Most people are complaining, and I've said that I would drop Prime if I felt that the cost outweighed the benefits. So who are you referring to exactly? It seems like you've just made that up on the spot to suit your narrative.

I can't scroll back, as the forum is jumping all over the place and then puts me back to your quoted post, but I know I didn't say that. I was referring to (and I stated such) other comments that had stood with me, had said that.

I would consider defending them and/or undervaluing anyones comments that criticises amazon by labelling them with irish begrudgery, and then suggesting that even €20 price hike would be acceptable, would be pretty close to fawning.

That's fine if you think €20+ suits you and how you use it, but if somebody who doesn't use all of those services think that the price is not worth it, and doesn't order enough deliveries to warrant the hike, it is also acceptable for them to criticise it without needing to be labelled as begrudgers. There are many reasons to dislike amazon if somebody really wanted to find fault with them. They are a greedy company (extraordinarily so, whatever the term for greed on top of capitalism may be), without it having to be from somebody who "doesn't understand maximising profits".

I can't scroll back, as the forum is jumping all over the place and then puts me back to your quoted post, but I know I didn't say that. I was referring to (and I stated such) other comments that had stood with me, had said that.

What a bizarre statement. You quoted something and forgot to mention that you disagree with it? Is that what you're saying? It "stood with you", but you don't agree with it?

I would consider defending them and/or undervaluing anyones comments that criticises amazon by labelling them with irish begrudgery, and then suggesting that even €20 price hike would be acceptable, would be pretty close to fawning.

Well then you'll be glad to know that you're completely incorrect. If something is priced at €20 and I believe that the benefits of me purchasing that thing for €20 justifies that price, then I will buy it. "Fawning" on the other hand suggests that I am buying something without putting much thought into it purely because I like a brand or company, which is completely the opposite of what I'm doing. So no, you are completely incorrect.

That's fine if you think €20+ suits you and how you use it, but if somebody who doesn't use all of those services think that the price is not worth it, and doesn't order enough deliveries to warrant the hike, it is also acceptable for them to criticise it without needing to be labelled as begrudgers. There are many reasons to dislike amazon if somebody really wanted to find fault with them. They are a greedy company (extraordinarily so, whatever the term for greed on top of capitalism may be), without it having to be from somebody who "doesn't understand maximising profits".

I don't know what this ramble has to do with anything. Yes, if you don't use the features of service, don't use that service, regardless as to whether the price has increased or not. Every large company is greedy. If they can legally increase their profits, they will do so. Increasing their prices is not even a dodgy way of making more money. You have some weird internal hatred of Amazon that you need to let go off.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Student membership gone from £3.99 to £4.49.

Still worth it once you order at least one thing a month.

Im not complaining 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭con747

Just to say, Amazon have not increased their Prime subscription since 2014 so I can't really complain about paying a little more. Sky and the likes have a rolling increase yearly.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement

What a bizarre statement. You quoted something and forgot to mention that you disagree with it? Is that what you're saying? It "stood with you", but you don't agree with?

No, I said I didn't say it. Somebody else said it, and it stuck with me. It would be something that I would keep an eye out for since they said it.

Well then you'll be glad to know that you're completely incorrect. If something is priced at €20 and I believe that the benefits of me purchasing that thing for €20 justifies that price, then I will buy it. "Fawning" on the other hand suggests that I am buying something without putting much thought into it purely because I like a brand or company, which is completely the opposite of what I'm doing. So no, you are completely incorrect.

No, not completely incorrect. "pretty close to fawning" would be apt. You have stated you would be "gladly pay €20+ per month for prime". Gladly, also if anyone criticises them you label them as begrudgers. I stand by what I said.

I don't know what this ramble has to do with anything. Yes, if you don't use the features of service, don't use that service, regardless as to whether the price has increased or not. Every large company is greedy. If they can legally increase their profits, they will do so. Increasing their prices is not even a dodgy way of making more money. You have some weird internal hatred of Amazon that you need to let go off.

No ramble there, you hypothesised how much you would be wiling to spend on prime, I mentioned that it suits you, as you use their other services, so essentially, you are paying for those. At €20+ per month, it would be useless to me. Again feeling the need to explain how a business works, as though there is no such thing as greed. Almost anything can be justified. I have no weird internal hatred for amazon, in fact I think some of what they have brought to the world is amazing and we are better for it. I passed a comment and ended up here. Hopefully amazon spawns a load of competitors, and we can all benefit from that.

Advertisement