Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sexual discrimination - male, 58 years

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭backwards_man

Going by what you posted, assuming there isnt more to it than that......what do you want as the outcome? It sounds like you want an apology. You are not owed one, nor is the company obliged to give you one. You have no grievance as I see it. You raised the customer's rudeness to your manager and she dealt with it. Case closed. There was no come back to you. You were not disciplined, nor given a warning nor even told the outcome. It was business as usual. Managers make these types of responses to customers in all walks of life. You read the response which took the customer's side (as far as the customer was concerned) and that was the end of the matter. You are the one who has looked for more. You want the company to take your side and it is subjective for one, and secondly whatever the customer was told doesnt have to be the truth. Businesses will say anything to keep a paying customer under the guise of "the customer is always right" -we all know that is not true its just something you say to placate the customer. The company didnt take any moves to take you to task over it.

You complained and someone else agreed with the original response, or just backed the status quo. Again no disclinary for you no backlash, no HR warning for the "badly handled" call.

You again bring it to a higher court so to speak and someone tells you what you want to hear. So what? They are not going to go back and retract their statement to the customer, nor do they owe you an apology. Case closed. Someone in the company agreed with you. There were no consequences that you can prove and if you push things further for an apology thry dont have to give you one. You were not descriminated against that you have said in your post, there was not a single backlash from your manager. You have imagined a conspiracy that you cannot prove.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭HBC08

If someone at your work is trotting out the "customer is always right line" you should pull then up on it,its outdated nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Misandry is a widespread problem, especially in US IT companies these days.

I've experienced this once at F5 Networks whilst working in the UK.

Misandry is often a product of a completely misunderstood diversity and inclusion approach.

In the end, there were only career advances if you were female. The only very few males that were ever promoted were Muslims.

Sad as it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I've never seen that (ireland), but maybe I'm not observant.

I am in IT as well, and hire people. Hr sometimes "suggest" the candidate for inclusion purposes, but I choose who I think is the best fit for job.

It just happens to be applicant's are male. I like a mix in a team, technical knowledge is important, but a personality fit is a close second. I'm not always right in my choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭tinytobe

This particular experience I've had was also a one time experience. In the end, I knew that neither a sex-change operation nor converting to Islam is an option and also there were other management issues. I don't regret leaving there. It's not down to the UK or Ireland, but more specific to one certain organization.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

But why did they have to take a side at all road_high???? If someone goes psycho with a call rep, they probably aren't expecting an apology from the company anyway, and there can't possibly be a consequence for the company in any way for staying neutral. The company could have left the customer out of it, and showed some understanding towards the OP for what he'd been through, AND given him some advice as to how to handle such matters in future, i.e, common decency. But no, those wide-arsed, over-paid HR ladies had to enforce their counter-productive measures.

A couple of things. Was it just a mistake that they copied you to the email? What exactly was the response and behaviour from the head of department? And who conducted the review of the grievance? It seems to me that, even though they initially blamed you, that you were never going to be spoken about the matter? That's strange. If you did act unprofessional towards a customer, then there should be a discussion with you about the matter.

Did any of the other managers even know that the second review was found in your favour? I assume that the head of department is a male - lucky you! - and maybe he'll try do the right thing. But what are you hoping for? An apology from them? An explanation from them as to why they thought you were wrong?

Why would you need training anyway? 

What about the phone call? It would have been recorded. Followed by every single manager going against the OP... without an explanation. They even copied the email to the OP. He mightn't be able to prove misandry, but he could possibly get something more out of them.

What would count as evidence of misandry? You'd have to be able to secretly record one of the HR ladies saying something like "I'm going favour the customer because she's a woman and I don't like men". That's never going to happen.

Advertisement