Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Development Plan 2022-2030

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Basically what's needed is a 'Limerick Crossrail'

• Registered Users Posts: 29,074 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

not really as you are ending up swapping 1 traffic problem for another traffic problem, a huge number of buses trying to get in and out of the city.

you would be better off building light rail instead while developing what bits of heavy rail that can be, which in turn will force the need to force all but the absolutely necessary traffic out of the city.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

For commuter rail to work in Limerick, you'd need a tunnel from Colbert out to Mouross. That would allow thru services to run Ennis to Nenagh, add new stations at LIT and somewhere west of the Shannon, plus east of Colbert and a P&R at M7 J28 and J29. Obviously it would cost an absolute fortune and isn't going to happen.

They'd be better off looking at light rail imo. From Patrickswell on the old heavy rail alignment, turning west at Raheen to pass UHL and Crescent SC before returning to old alignment to Colbert, then via Parkway to UL and Castletroy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Perhaps a tram-train solution would work for Limerick so that you maximise use of the existing rail infrastructure while also allowing cheaper infrastructure into the city centre at grade rather than segregated alignment or underground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭gjim

I'm a bit fan of rail and want to see rail developed in Ireland but I think Limerick is a very poor case for developing rail.

It's all very well looking at a map and seeing a bunch of heavy rail alignments and imagining they could be used as the basis of a commuter service but there's no potential for using them for this purpose as they are not at all aligned with the trips people actually make in Limerick.

Nor does it make any sense to think "build it and they will come" because where you see green on the map near these heavy rail alignments - thinking there's potential for development - is actually most flood plain and marsh.

Limerick commuter rail is just not a practical idea and does nothing to alleviate the real problems the city is facing with daily traffic jams on all the major spines into the city with no option for commuters except to sit it out in their cars.

We all know that the idea of billions becoming available to build interconnectors/cross-rails, new tracks and loops, stations and providing a commuter rail service through fields to a place like Patricskwell (pop. 800) which is already minutes from a motorway are just fantasy.

Limerick's immediate problems are the choke points into and out of the city Corbally, Ballysimon Rd, Dublin Rd, O'Connell Av, etc. - there is simply not enough road space to accommodate the number of people trying to use these spaces (in cars).

But before you can say screw the cars, there needs to be an alternative which I think should be a BusConnects type network of spines with proper dedicated bus lanes, frequent service, integrated/smart card ticketing and proper bus stops/shelters with arrival information boards and the like. This would cost a small fraction of the cost to even link Colbert with Patrickswell with a tram and would immediately be useful and well patronised.

• Advertisement

This was just announced. On the phone so I haven't played around with it yet.

• MyProjectIreland interactive map expanded to over 1,100 projects
    • updated Investment Projects and Programmes Tracker on over 270 projects and 140 programmes

The Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform, Michael McGrath, has today (Wednesday 18 May) launched an updated Investment Projects and Programmes Tracker and updated MyProjectIreland interactive map.

This suite of material showcases the steady progress being made in the implementation of Project Ireland 2040, which sets out a clear long-term strategy backed by investment of €165 billion over a 10 year period as presented in the National Development Plan 2021 - 2030. The Tracker and Map were last published alongside the launch of the revised National Development Plan in October 2021.

This latest revision of the Tracker provides a composite update on the progress of all major investments that make up Project Ireland 2040. It focuses on projects with estimated costs greater than €20 million. Today’s update provides progress updates on over 270 projects and 140 programmes, including almost 100 projects in excess of €50 million, and incorporates user-friendly dashboards to aid in using the material.

MyProjectIreland was launched in May 2019 alongside the first Project Ireland 2040 Annual Report

Links to the map itself are at the following link

• Registered Users Posts: 13,395 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Just a general point.

I know there are lots of plans/projects being worked on at the moment.

Dublin:

(1) metrolink to airport

(2) improvements to north-south DART line + new trains

(3) new DART lines southwest and to Maynooth

Cork

(4) signalling / doubling / new stations from Mallow to Midleton

Are the following statements correct?

(1) not a metre of new track has been laid in at least a decade

(2) train speeds have not increased

(3) frequencies have not increased

(4) other than the 1km passing loop planned for Oranmore, are there any other substantial improvements in the national network?

My general point is: we seem to be complacent. Even with the Green party in Govt, I don't see the ambition that I expect. I don't see a real effort to encourage modal shift.

By ambition I mean moving to Belgian frequencies and fares.

By ambition I mean 200kph max speeds and 130 kph average speeds between all cities, much more double-tracking, limited stop trains for faster journeys, with regional trains stopping at all stations.

Dub-Cork 2hrs

Dub-Galway 2hrs

Dub-Belfast 1.5 hrs

For example, I don't hear any talk about Dub-Cork electrification, 200 kph all the way, double or triple pax numbers, aim for massive modal shift.

The Govt seem committed to CO2 reduction targets, okay, but surely to get there we will have to be far more ambitious on national rail development?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Quote: Are the following statements correct?

(1) not a metre of new track has been laid in at least a decade

(2) train speeds have not increased

(3) frequencies have not increased

(4) other than the 1km passing loop planned for Oranmore, are there any other substantial improvements in the national network?

1. There is a section of track at Grand Canal Dock to provide turnaround for Phoenix Park Tunnel trains. Not a Km but more than a metre.
    2. Not sure about that one.
    3. The Dart service is now a 10 min one than a 15 min one. It is also clock face.
    4. The use of the Phoenix Park Tunnel would surely count as that.

There is a plan to double the line from Limerick to Limerick Junction. That, if done properly, could allow Cork/Limerick and Limerick/Dublin services to be improved in both speed and frequency. [Plans are aplenty - action is a bit slower in coming].

(1) and (4) are welcome, but where is the ambition?

Twenty years ago, we had a plan to build motorways to every city.

Where is the plan to have 200 kph trains to Belfast, Galway, LK, CK?

Is it just me, or are the Greens more focussed on walking/cycling and urban busses than intercity rail?

In fairness you can implement hundred's of km of bike lanes and footpaths before you ever get a single km of new rail line so from that perspective, rail is always going to look slower at being rolled out.

Whatever about 200kph trains (I honestly think they'd be pointless given the amount of stops on our lines), I'd settle for double tracking of all lines, sub-hourly frequency on all routes, a timetable that runs from 5am to midnight 7 days a week and scheduling that allows for a max of 15 mins if getting connections from one train to another

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Economics101

What about rail electrification? The case for it is now much stronger than ever. Given that we are going to try to electrify private car transport, why not rail, which is proven technology. Hybrid trains, whether battery of hydrogen, are of pretty limited use.

Why are railways in mainland Europe mostly electrified? Do we follow the UK, which is a big laggard in electrification?

The way I see it, to get large modal shift, you need to be able to advertise marketable journey times, for example

Dublin to Cork and Galway in two hours

Dublin to Belfast in 90 mins

As Cork is 266km, you need 133kph average speed, including stops.

I would envisage stops in Portarlington, Portlaoise, LJ and Mallow.

In my head, 133kph average needs 200kph max......am I far out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Economics101

You are pretty well on the money with that. Next question: how do you achieve these journey times? Diesel - no way without huge emissions. Hybrid - no use for long-distance high-speed. That leaves electrification - which wins by a country mile.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Given we have a sizeable rural population living in one-off housing dispersed up every bóithrín in the countryside that would prevent a comprehensive public transport system, we need to have a different approach to public transport.

Intercity requires fast frequent reliable trains - with limited stops. This would provide the backbone of the PT service.

Metro would work extremely well for Dublin with three or four lines being enough.

Next local commuter trains could service the urban spill from the cities, but trains cannot serve everywhere. So next would be buses and trams, supported by P&R at strategic locations.

Next would be the car sharing setups like GoCar for every town. Users rent the car by the hour with fuel, parking, insurance, etc all included. This would allow most car using households to either dispense with their second car or even their first. Occasional use is reasonable but high use might be a bit different.

The National Plan will not deliver any of this by 2030.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I'm very sceptical about the GoCar proposals actually working within every town in Ireland. First off you have a lot of households within rural Ireland who are highly dependent on the car to get in and out of town to go about their day to day activities.

People who live within these rural areas would express a view that owning their car would be the best option for them especially if they live in areas that have no bus or rail services available to them.

Then you have people like the well off classes who like owning their cars as well. If GoCar cannot attract those customers to the service. Where would they go next to support their own demand for it?

You'll never see the likes of GoCar in small villages without significant subsidies and planning makes homes too far to walk safely to a parked car in the village center so it would always be loss making.

Towns of 4-5k or more, absolutely and they are expanding gradually down to the level. Will take years, but they are growing

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

The lions share of money by far still goes to motorways and car travel generally. I went to the Inchicore open day recently and was amazed at the scale of the site but equally I didn't sense it was a hive of activity. The numbers who work there are tiny for such a site presumably because the new stock being ordered does not require the skillset from the past? It was built for a different era when all skills were in house. Bit like modern cars are more electronics than mechanics. There seems to be no agreement on direction. Is total electrification the way, are diesels still in play indefinitely or hybrids? The latter seem to get the nod.

The new control centre in Heuston looks finished and I liked the station infrastructure at Hazelhatch and Pelletstown that I saw recently. But Connolly is a mess as are many Dart stations. The one in Howth hasn't seen a paint brush in 50 years. Any idea why the beautiful Broadstone building is neglected? I don't envy IR dealing with say the scumbaggery that requires every station lift to be monitored like a bank vault.

Maybe new upper management is needed to drag it into the 21st century and secure rail both urban and intercity as the way to finally displace the road mania of the past decades where bypassing every village in the country seems to be the be all and end all.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭cartoncowboy

Im thinking Eamonn Ryan is waiting for the Strategic Rail Review to come out before he does anything meaningful on the heavy rail side. In saying that, the actions coming out of that is supposed to be implemented in conjunction with the NI folks. But seeing they cannot get a government to work up there for years, he'd be better off doing a solo run - for initiatives south of the border anyway.

I agree with previous posters there seems to be a lack of ambition by IR management, we should have electrified the whole system by now and be running faster trains, double tracking, doing re-alignments etc etc. Now, they will say no money from gov, but when Ryan got in they should have been hounding him for serious investment but all I see is orders for new rolling stock not much better than what we already have.

Its takes 3 hours to get to Sligo from Dublin and that time has not changed in the 40 + years I've been alive. During the 90s they tried to close the line but for the huge backlash from the north west, and its one of the busiest in the country. Now more than ever we need more train and not less.

I'm probably naïve in thinking Ryan will do something major after the review but all we can do is hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,270 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

When is the all Island rail review due to be published?

Agree. The Greens seem to focus on trivia while missing the big stuff. Hassling a few thousand grannies that still use turf instead of getting the planning and regulation in place for large scale off shore wind by way of example. The withdrawal by Equinor was a big red flag. The UK has already hit 11 GW. In their defense, I suspect there is simply not the capacity (technical and managerial) in the public sector to move at speed. A simple solution perhaps?.. would be to plagiarise verbatim the existing Scottish Offshore legal regime and push in thru into law?

My local Greenie TD spends most of her time in RTE studios waffling on about Putin or other global events while sitting on on her hands when it comes to concrete deliverable actions here in Ireland....which suits RTE just fine. What ever happened to their mantra of think global act local..

Next time round she'll get the P45.

• Advertisement

By way of contrast the ARdnacrusha scheme was pushed thru in 7 years costing annually one fifth of the states income. Yet it was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Something something the greens stole my lunch money something something

#Ireland 2022

instead of getting the planning and regulation in place for large scale off shore wind by way of example.

You're not wrong that this should have been in place years ago, however to be fair to the GP, it was one of their priorities once they got in and they passed the Maritime Area Planning Act 2021 which then led to the Maritime Area Consent (MAC) system which will be overseen by a new Agency, the Maritime Area Regulatory Authority (MARA).

So the govt was formed end of June 2020, the planning act was signed off 18 months later with the MAC system and MARA in place 3 months later.

There's still more to do but they are working through it all at a rapid enough pace compared to the previous decade when investors were crying out for this with little to no action by govts of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

GoCar actually started in a village of ~600 people (Cloughjordan)... but they aren't actually there anymore!

For GoCar to do well, it needs a population that uses it often and regularly - that is all. In a small village, it can work but if folk will not use the Post Office, or the local shops, then that needs an attitude change, not subsidy. If you do not use it, you lose it.

When Todd Andrews, CIE chief got a delegation of councillors trying to reverse a rail closure, he demanded to see their railway tickets. Of course, they came by car, so he hunted them. And that was a long time ago.

Advertisement