Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

red clover

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

I had maize in same fields for 3 years …after maize last October ploughed and drilled winter wheat following day …harvested last week disced and redstart going in next Thursday followed by maize again next April .was told 5 bags of 18s needed for redstart ….think it’s total overkill ….2 bags of 10 10 20

and will proably top up with 25 units liquid n end august …..bound to be decent shot of residual n in ground after wheat ….the wheat I drilled last October got no fertiliser till mid march and was lovely healthy green right thru winter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Fair dues.

What total niter did you end up giving the wwheat Mahoney?

U may sit down there dwag 🤣. 150 n 25 p 75 k ……a local tillage farmer did all fertiliser and spraying …got a weed spray …growth regulator and 3 fungicides ,was wholecroped last week and v happy with return

As expected…!

Sooo, you’re single-handedly trying to rubbish the thread Mahoney!! Good man!! 👏👏

The whole idea, I would’ve thought, of this thread is not how to fire out fert like snuff at a wake, more like how to get the same production without firing out fert left, right and centre?

You probably lashed out some fungicides there that you didn’t need…while you were at it. But sure, etc etc.

I give up.

Nothing personal Mahoney, but that’s what I’ve been trying to point out with over a decade.

In my defence I’m no tillage farmer that’s why I contracted fertiliser and spray out ….I’m told 160/170 n is standard for w wheat here

if honest I was surprised when told the fertiliser requirement especially when looking at how green and healthy the crop was between. Sowing and first fertiliser in mid march

On the fungicides we used Just one product …

in my defence I’m cutting right back on what I was told redstart needs v what I’m actually putting out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,656 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I think it's about 150 for barley was the recommendation. The real problem is Teagasc and most advisors go to maximize a crop. No taught is put into what the benefit of the last 20% of fertlizer is. Often it only adds 10% or less to the crop.

When fertlizer was cheap this paid but with the price of fertlizer we really need to readjust application rates. As well some tillage lads have not done them sums either. You could make the same case with dairy. Is the last 5-10% of milk production worth chasing.

It's why in beef lads are reducing output as it's a zero sum game often

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Is it roughly a day in August is worth a week in September and the whole month of October or thereabouts for establishment here?

Stop with the wwheat and switch to Rye. Less than half the N that you’re using on the wheat, no fungicides, and twice the volume in the pit at a guaranteed minimum 14% protein. I suppose you bought certified seed while you were at it?

I absolutely hate redstart. It’s one of those things that Teagasc picked on, and totally disregarded everything else..just like red clover. There’s only one type of clover, and only one type of winter forage crop? There’s plenty mixes available that you could plant instead of redstart, and they wouldn’t need artificial fert, aaaaannnd they’d fertilise the maize for you in the spring.

Was reading last night that the Dutch used 10-20% extra N in ‘drought’ years, remind you of anything?

Too late for kale/rape so redstart only real option …weanlings will graze ….and fertilise and condition soil over winter ….rye was first option but couldn’t get seed

I couldn’t say Sam. I never grew CC in Ireland. I would think that planting right now would have a serious CC established for the onset of winter. Once it gets into September and October things slow down a lot. Hairy Vetch that’s a very early variety might work, but clovers etc, would be slow.

• Advertisement

Clovers, radishes, turnips, vetches etc etc would work perfectly if you’re planting tomorrow. List is endless Mahoney.

I can source any kind of seed and send it over, as I’ve done several times before. Don’t ever be short. Just ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ginger22

When you say Rye is that Hybrid Rye, a lad growing it around here this year. I looked at the crop a few weeks ago fungicide application was limited, was dying on its feet. And the thing is these lads would grow mostly winter wheat with 3 or 4 fungicide applications. So the lesson is it needs fungicides in our damp Irish climate.

Dying on its feet from what? What diseases?

Wwheat for whole crop is harvested at the ‘doughy’ stage of grain fill, therefore you should be able to save at least one full fungicide on it…trick is to estimate harvest date and work backwards. Not always possible I know because weather mightn’t play ball

I’ve grown enough wwheat in Ireland to know the disease pressures involved.

Hybrid Rye is a non runner due to price of seed, likewise hybrid wheat and barley. Cereal Rye is way better on disease than wwheat but needs good dry land and should be planted earlier than wwheat. Triticale is an excellent option for heavy land or in a high risk take-all rotation. The only disease to worry about with Triticale are mildew and ergot, both of those are easy and cheap to deal with. Ergot is also a problem with Rye and is potentially lethal to livestock…a treatment of Procloraz or Tebuconazole at flowering sorts that and as cheap as chips because they’re really old chemistry.

Septoria, We have grown winter wheat, triticale, spring barley in the past, not since 2016, This is our first year back cropping. Triticale was the buzz word back 10-15 years ago but it did not life up to the hype of being easy to grow, needing little fungicides etc, but it did not live up to the hype. 2 years ago they started crowing about hybrid rye as being the holy grail for lads without crop growing skills but I think it will go the same road as the triticale. Winter wheat is the crop for heavy land and Spring barley for the light land.

Septoria Tritici or Nodorum?

I haven’t grown Rye in Ireland so I can’t comment other than for here. In a ‘heavy’ disease year in wheat here, 3+ fungicides, Rye will only need treatment for mildew and ergot. Big difference.

I was growing wwheat in Ireland in one of the most intense pressure septoria areas and I never had a problem with triticale. My only issue with triticale was trying to find a market. That was the only reason I gave up on it. Triticale has around the same feed value as barley, even though I’m aware they’re not the same, but if your growing wbarley at around 160-180u/ac, rye only needs half of that. Likewise wwheat at 190-220u/ac, whilst triticale will flourish on half of that. Also, rye and triticale will condition the soil, rye being outstanding, why grow wwheat and wbarley when you’re using substantially more N, and it’s going for wholecrop? It’s not like you’re selling into a milling wheat market like.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭ted_182

So say I take a punt on the hairy vetch and it establises, what do I do with it next April? Mulch it and plough down? Ground will have to be ploughed as maize sown under plastic. Or can the vetch be grazed with youngstock or baled or zgrazed?

Apologies for turning this into a tillage covercrop for dummies thread

If you get a very early variety and it does well, then you have the option of ensiling it and planting the maize afterwards…or, kill/mulch/disc it before planting the maize. To cover the option of ensiling it, it would be worth throwing in a handful of cereals, doesn’t really matter what kind, to bring something to the mix to help conserve it. Oats wouldn’t be the best, but anything else will do.

The main reason there’s several different earliness varieties of vetch is the fact that it can become kinda woody and unpalatable to livestock. If it becomes woody in February and you can’t get in to harvest it for example, your choices are numbered, iykwim?

Well we would be growing for crimping. Sowing after the maize. There has been a lot of publicity by the seed companiy "Seedtech" of the benefits of hybrid Rye, Was consdidering it but having seen the neighbours crop and that it needs fungicides we may as well go with the wheat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Rye usually ends up yielding phenomenal crops of ergot and some admix grain.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

Regarding red clover does it matter if its chopped in a round bale seeing as its all about protecting the plant?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

Regarding red clover does it matter if its chopped in a round bale seeing as its all about protecting the plant?

Makes no odds in bale it’s the tedding and raking that breaks plant and leads to nutrient loss …..generally cut with non conditioner mower good wilt and rake and bale or pit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

Advertisement