Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Bargains - Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Passed by today. It's certainly not operational but the building appears finished, at least on the outside. A lot of cars in the car parks that may belong to contractors finishing off the inside but no sign of any stock being moved.

No, I said I didn't say it. Somebody else said it, and it stuck with me. It would be something that I would keep an eye out for since they said it.

I have no idea what you're trying to say, you sound like you're arguing for the sake of it. You heard something and you quoted it, you clearly agree with it.

No, not completely incorrect. "pretty close to fawning" would be apt. You have stated you would be "gladly pay €20+ per month for prime". Gladly, also if anyone criticises them you label them as begrudgers. I stand by what I said.

You are 100% wrong, Jesus Christ. I will pay €20 for a service if I believe that price justifies that service. I don't need to find out what the brand or company is when making that decision. If another company offered what Amazon was offering for cheaper, I wouldn't give a fúck about Amazon. I feel like I'm having to explain things to a child, Jesus.

No ramble there, you hypothesised how much you would be wiling to spend on prime, I mentioned that it suits you, as you use their other services, so essentially, you are paying for those. At €20+ per month, it would be useless to me. Again feeling the need to explain how a business works, as though there is no such thing as greed. Almost anything can be justified. I have no weird internal hatred for amazon, in fact I think some of what they have brought to the world is amazing and we are better for it. I passed a comment and ended up here. Hopefully amazon spawns a load of competitors, and we can all benefit from that.

"At €20+ per month, it would be useless to me."

That sentence doesn't even make any sense. At its current price, it's useful. But if the price increases, it's no longer useful? What? And the rest of this paragraph is again just another ramble. "Almost anything can be justified." Very deep.

For the statement "Amazon have increased their Prime subscription by £1 per month for the first time in 8 years", a response of "Oh OK well that seems fair enough" is a completely rational response. It does not suggest fawning or any nonsense you're spewing. Stating that you were also thinking "world's wealthiest company and they're looking for a price hike??" due to that increase is instead an irrational response.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

The interesting thing is they'll hike the price, wonder why they lost subs, blame someone/something else, then hike the price again.

I don’t think it matters if they’re recording record profits year on year. Maybe the stable price is one of the reasons more people are using Amazon.

One of the many problems with capitalism is they ignore the, “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” rule.

I have an annual membership, but come May next year, we’ll look at whether it’s worth keeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I have no idea what you're trying to say, you sound like you're arguing for the sake of it. You heard something and you quoted it, you clearly agree with it.

So you have no idea what I am trying to say (actually said it twice in plain English), but in your opinion I clearly agree with what you don't understand it is. Ok.

You are 100% wrong, Jesus Christ. I will pay €20 for a service if I believe that price justifies that service. I don't need to find out what the brand or company is when making that decision. If another company offered what Amazon was offering for cheaper, I wouldn't give a fúck about Amazon. I feel like I'm having to explain things to a child, Jesus.

You don't need to find out the brand or company to exaggerate prices and tell us that you would gladly pay that hypothetical hiked price. That is as close to fawning as you will get.

"At €20+ per month, it would be useless to me."

That sentence doesn't even make any sense. At its current price, it's useful. But if the price increases, it's no longer useful? What? And the rest of this paragraph is again just another ramble. "Almost anything can be justified." Very deep.

At the current price, it is acceptable for the number of deliveries I get. At a higher price, I would need to get more use out of the service, which I wouldn't. I would be paying extra for something I wouldn't be using. It would be completely useless to me. The 'Free' deliveries would no longer be 'free'. The service would be completely useless to me.

For the statement "Amazon have increased their Prime subscription by £1 per month for the first time in 8 years", a response of "Oh OK well that seems fair enough" is a completely understandable response. It does not suggest fawning or any nonsense you're spewing.

What is bizarre is that you are trying to dictate to me what is or isn't an acceptable response.

That response written was also not when I replied what I said about 'close to fawning'.

Stating that you were also thinking "world's wealthiest company and they're looking for a price hike??" due to that increase is instead what's bizarre.

I clarified that I was also thinking that as the profits they had made during covid must have been astronomical, and they are mentioning 'losses' this year, as they were down 3% from the year before in the first quarter. When the year that they are comparing to was up 13% from the year before that in the same first quarter.

You were the one who went off about Irish Begrudgery and other such absolute nonsense. Explaining how a company works, and now it's so difficult to be you trying to explain things while not understanding the posters posts... Christ.

• Advertisement

Same here, in comparison to Netflix we don't watch a lot on Amazon prime and don't use the music or free kindle. Sure we get next day delivery but we don't buy as much as we used to. Get a couple of subscribe deliveries a year but they would be free delivery anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭POBox19

There's free delivery when you buy £20 of items dispatched by Amazon, so Prime is only useful for small orders. I had Prime when it was free and ended up getting a load of stuff I never really needed. Forgot to cancel in time and had it for two more months ordering almost nothing. Now, if I don't want £20's worth of something I don't order.

So you have no idea what I am trying to say (actually said it twice in plain English), but in your opinion I clearly agree with what you don't understand it is. Ok.

I know exactly what you said originally. I don't know you're trying to say since then, because what you've said since then is nonsense.

You don't need to find out the brand or company to exaggerate prices and tell us that you would gladly pay that hypothetical hiked price. That is as close to fawning as you will get.

I will gladly pay €20 for services that I use if there is no competitor that offers those same services for cheaper. I don't give a fúck what company happens to be the cheapest at offering those services, I will use that company. That is in fact the the complete opposite of fawning as I will immediately leave my current service provider if a different company comes along offering those same services for cheaper.

The fact that I have to keep saying this as if I'm talking to someone younger and younger is cringy. You are genuinely trolling at this stage, or at least I hope you're trolling, for your sake.

At the current price, it is acceptable for the number of deliveries I get. At a higher price, I would need to get more use out of the service, which I wouldn't. I would be paying extra for something I wouldn't be using. It would be completely useless to me. The 'Free' deliveries would no longer be 'free'. The service would be completely useless to me.

"At the current price, it is acceptable for the number of deliveries I get."

You literally said earlier that it's not acceptable for you at the current prices now either. You said you only use it for Prime deliveries and yet "I got a few prime trials and there was an error on many orders. While I realise not the norm, wasn't for me." What wasn't for you exactly? you're implying that you wouldn't use Prime at the current rate either.

What is bizarre is that you are trying to dictate to me what is or isn't an acceptable response.

That response written was also not when I replied what I said about 'close to fawning'.

No one is fawning, close to or otherwise, as explained above. You are making up nonsense.

I clarified that I was also thinking that as the profits they had made during covid must have been astronomical, and they are mentioning 'losses' this year, as they were down 3% from the year before in the first quarter. When the year that they are comparing to was up 13% from the year before that in the same first quarter.

A company will increase prices if they believe they will be more profitable as a result, regardless as to whether they are currently very profitable or not. That has nothing to do with anything.

You were the one who went off about Irish Begrudgery and other such absolute nonsense.

I certainly was. Complaining about a £1 price increase, the first price increase in 8 years, is most certainly Irish Begrudgery. In fact, I would say that it's an excellent example of Irish Begrudgery.

Explaining how a company works, and now it's so difficult to be you trying to explain things while not understanding the posters posts... Christ.

I'm sure you thought that this sentence made sense as you were typing it, but alas.

I know exactly what you said originally. I don't know you're trying to say since then, because what you've said since then is nonsense.

Ok, so you know what I was saying, you were just playing silly buggers or trying to imply some sort of intellectual superiority. Neither worked.

I will gladly pay €20 for services that I use if there is no competitor that offers those same services for cheaper. I don't give a fúck what company happens to be the cheapest at offering those services, I will use that company. That is the complete opposite of fawning as I will immediately leave my current service provider if a different company comes along offering those same services for cheaper.

The fact that I have to keep saying this as if I'm talking to someone younger and younger is cringy. You are genuinely trolling at this stage, or at least I hope you're trolling, for your sake.

The thing is, you don't have to keep saying that. I have never stated that I don't know what you are trying to say. However, I do know that the point you are trying to make is incorrect. Fawning does not mean you will not change company. It means while it suits you, you will exaggerate how good they are and claim all sorts of nonsense, e.g. to discredit competitors. So repeating that you would go with them if they had any brand name does not mean what you think it does. I will also repeat, that I said CLOSE TO fawning. As close as it gets as it happens.

"At the current price, it is acceptable for the number of deliveries I get."

You literally said earlier that it's not acceptable for you at the current prices now either. You said you only use it for Prime deliveries and yet "I got a few prime trials and there was an error on many orders. While I realise not the norm, wasn't for me." What wasn't for you exactly?

"Wasn't for me" does not mean it is no currently at an acceptable price for how I use the service. What you are not getting there is baffling. So to put it in plain English - I literally didn't say earlier that it's not acceptable for me at the current prices.

What wasn't for me, was the service. What do you think we are talking about here? Eggs?

No one is fawning, close to or otherwise, as explained above. You are making up nonsense.

I initially wasn't trying to imply you were fawning or close to, but now I think maybe.

A company will increase prices if they believe they will making more profitable as result, regardless as to whether they are currently very profitable or not. That has nothing to do with anything.

Ok, Thanks for the explanation. 🙄

I certainly was. Complaining about a £1 price increase, the first price increase in 8 years, is most certainly Irish Begrudgery. In fact, I would say that it's an excellent example of Irish Begrudgery.

Except it's not. It's global begrudgery. Of course begrudgery isn't actually a thing outside of Ireland, it is unique to here with the faeries and the little folk. If some people say it exists, it must.

I'm sure you thought that this sentence made sense as you were typing it, but alas.

I did, and still do. You were going on (and still are) about how difficult it is for your precious head to get me to understand anything, and how it's like talking to a child etc.. When the only person that claims not to understand one half of this conversation is your goodself, even when it is written in plain English for you.

Ok, so you know what I was saying, you were just playing silly buggers or trying to imply some sort of intellectual superiority. Neither worked.

I stated what you were saying, you said I was wrong, and have waffled since then.

The thing is, you don't have to keep saying that. I have never stated that I don't know what you are trying to say. However, I do know that the point you are trying to make is incorrect. Fawning does not mean you will not change company. It means while it suits you, you will exaggerate how good they are and claim all sorts of nonsense, e.g. to discredit competitors. So repeating that you would go with them if they had any brand name does not mean what you think it does. I will also repeat, that I said CLOSE TO fawning. As close as it gets as it happens.

God, you're trying your come across as being a very annoying person, aren't you? It's like you're literally not even reading what I'm typing.

It means while it suits you, you will exaggerate how good they are and claim all sorts of nonsense, e.g. to discredit competitors.

Actually, I'm going to stop replying right now (Don't worry, I'll reply to the rest of your comment after this.) as I have an assignment for you. Quote the post where I did this. Any post you like. There's a good lad.

• Advertisement

Actually, I'm going to stop replying right now (Don't worry, I'll reply to the rest of your comment after this.) as I have an assignment for you. Quote the post where I did this. Any post you like. There's a good lad.

Yawn. From a passing comment.. 😴

"It means while it suits you, you will exaggerate how good they are and claim all sorts of nonsense, e.g. to discredit competitors."

For the final time. I said 'close to' fawning, as close as it gets. So while the 'you' there wasn't person specific, it was more to give a better definition of fawning than your own weak one, you have stated :

I would gladly pay €20+ per month for Amazon Prime, it is by far the best value for me compared to the other alternatives.

Just typical Irish begrudgery from people who likely ordered a €20 takeaway last night.

So you gladly paying €20+ per month would be an example of it suiting you, and arguably exaggerating how good a price that would be if it existed. The 'typical Irish begrudgery' remark aimed at the people who criticised the price hike, could be considered defending them, as for it being by far the best value compared to competitors, well, that's pretty much dismissing the competitors.

That was all in one post, I think there were another couple of flippant remarks too, but I think they make my point enough about CLOSE TO fawning.. Pretty close.

As for.

God, you're trying your come across as being a very annoying person, aren't you? It's like you're literally not even reading what I'm typing.

You really don't like being wrong. Out come the repetitive name calling remarks about childish and annoying etc.. When it is you and you alone who claim not to understand how one half of the conversation is going, yet still come back with those remarks. FWIW, the exact same could be chewed up and spat back out at you, when people have to very different opinions on how something is viewed, it is fairly common for them to find each other annoying, or seemingly incapable of understanding or seeing their point. Which is happening here (as you mentioned on your side of it) on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,025 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I can get you 2 guys a room for a couple of hundred each. You have to share!

I would gladly pay €20+ per month for Amazon Prime, it is by far the best value for me compared to the other alternatives.

Just typical Irish begrudgery from people who likely ordered a €20 takeaway last night.

Oh my God, that is absolutely amazing! I actually cried laughing looking at what you bolded, beautiful! (Are you actually trolling? Please tell me, it's amazing if you are!)

I'll just do the first line and then move on to the second after your embarrassing next reply.

So, the first sentence is me "exaggerating how good they are", is that right? Because I will gladly pay €20+ per month for Amazon Prime as it is by far the best value for me (you seem to have forgotten an important bold bit there) compared to the other alternatives, yes?

Of course, you are 100% correct. Absolutely 100% correct. You've completely got me.

Well, that is of course as long as there is an alternative. Even a single alternative. As long there's a similarly priced alternative that offers all of the features that Prime offers for a similar price, then I was most certainly exaggerating.

If there isn't, well, I guess what I said is completely justified and isn't an exaggeration at all.

If I went to a store where one brand of chicken wings is €1 and all the other brands are €5, then me stating " I will gladly pay €3 for those chicken wings that are currently €1, they're by far the best option" isn't an exaggeration, it's just a rational statement.

So, off you go. Explain why it's an exaggeration with some alternatives. Good lad. Then I'll gladly get back to responding to your other nonsense and personal insults.

That sounds like a great deal!

Oh wait, now Suckit now thinks I'm implying that you can't find a cheaper hotel room elsewhere. Oops!

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

There is no contradiction in both admitting that there is no real alternative to Prime in ROI and complaining about the increase. Here is the current->increased cost of Prime in the major EU markets (Taken from mydealz.de, I assume it's accurate):

Italy, Spain 36->49,90€

France 49->69€

Germany 69->89,90€

UK & Ireland 93->112€

Yes, delivering to Ireland has its cost, but so does delivering to e.g. Corsica, Sardinia etc. At the same time, the range of physical and digital products available for Prime members in Ireland is by far the worst, yet we pay the most. And there is plenty of customers from those other countries, who also claim they will not extend their membership now, so that's nothing unique to boards or Ireland in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭amdaley28

• Registered Users Posts: 10,103 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Is this not the Amazon prime BARGAINS chat thread? Not a rant about price increases thread?

Glad to have prime, was buying pyjamas my nephews wanted. 20% off coupon (some pyjama factory styles), happy days. Put two in basket, discount that came off was less than 10%. Removed one pair, correct discount so I had to place two separate orders. I never have to think about delivery charges or minimum orders when I have prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,047 ✭✭✭✭event

For the love of god would yiz shut up. Its a thread to chat about bargains, not rhe subscription price of Prime.

2 bloody pages of it

There's a flag button, you've done nothing but add a pointless post yourself. You're free to post an Amazon bargain if you wish, nobody is stopping you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,702 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Couldnt resist

• Advertisement

Really, you cried.. 🙄

I am now 100% convinced you don't know what fawning is, as you initially thought it just meant couldn't change brand. You saying that you would happily, gladly, or even if you were to be overjoyed to pay more than double the current price for the service has to be an exaggeration or taken as some form of close to fawning over them. Accusing people of a nonsense 'Irishism' in an attempt to dismiss the (global) criticism of a price hike that you find acceptable, is just you telling us in so many words that we don't know how good we have it with amazon. Then dismissing all alternatives, because, well, any of the alternatives aren't bundled together the way amazon prime is, again, by dismissing the alternatives the way you just did with your idiotic attempt at a condescending post (something you seem to do a lot going by your posts today), is another example of behaviour that could be considered fawning. There is flattery, exaggeration, and dismissal of competitors, all examples (especially when bundled together) of fawning.

Prime gaming doesn't have as much to offer, nor is it as good as e.g. steam. Prime is primarily streaming games afaik anyway,

Prime music, doesn't have the library or anything like the list of compatible devices that spotify has.

Prime video, seems to have the least/worst content of the top three or four.

Prime reading vs Kindle unlimited or a library - Kindle unlimited apparently has a 'much bigger library'

We could go on, most ot all offer family subscriptions, so I wouldn't be breaking it down as to how much it could all cost vs quality and content. Something you obviously have already done I am assuming, or you wouldn't have been so dismissive and made statements like 'by far the best value'.

Admit it. You like amazon (nothing wrong with that) and are happy with the price and will accept the hike, but you have no idea if it is by far the best value, despite claiming so, nor do you know whether or not you would gladly pay more than double the price for the same exact sub and content that you are getting now.

You are just arguing for the sake of it.

You didn't mention a single price when you were listing your alternatives.

Give it another shot, I believe in you.

Otherwise, stop implying that people are saying things that they aren't. It's childish. Incredibly childish.

I don't need to mention a single price. I don't know how the family prices breakdown individually anyway.

You are the one who made the claims about the value and the service. Not me.

You are the one the should know the price and quality of the other services compared, as you said it is by far the best value. So I assume you know that somehow, either were told, read it or did the maths and tested the services etc.

It's always the people who never post bargains themselves that complain that no bargains are being posted.

I don't need to mention a single price.

Ok, you are definitely a troll. 100% a troll.

"I'd gladly pay €20+ for Amazon Prime."

"Dude don't exaggerate."

"Oh, can I get the same for cheaper elsewhere?"

"Well you can get the same services sure. I don't what their prices are but..."

Absolutely incredible.

You are the one the should know the price and quality of the other services compared, as you said it is by far the best value. So I assume you know that somehow, either were told, read it or did the maths and tested the services etc.

Yes, I did, which I said I would happily pay €20+ for them. You are suggesting that I am exaggerating, so I'm asking you to demonstrate it. Are you drunk or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Any bargains

So, to go back to my point above.

Admit it. You like amazon (nothing wrong with that) and are happy with the price and will accept the hike, but you have no idea if it is by far the best value, despite claiming so, nor do you know whether or not you would gladly pay more than double the price for the same exact sub and content that you are getting now.

You are just arguing for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭con747

Any Mods?????

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement

Lol. You're now completely ignoring my posts because you can't respond to them? Amazing.

In summary, you've wrote pages of responses claiming that me suggesting that I would gladly pay is €20+ for Amazon Prime is exaggerating that that would be worth it, even though you've just admitted that you don't have a clue if it would still be the best option at that price or not. And when I asked you to demonstrate why you kept claiming that what I said was an exaggeration, you asked me to do that maths for you.

In summary, every single one of your posts are completely pointless because you haven't bothered to check first if you're right or not.

You are an absolutely fascinating individual.

Advertisement