Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it too late for Europe and the World. There is fires everywhere.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

I was just wondering how long the pedantry would last till the house of cards came down. Before you leave, Are the current crop of scientists saying we are defiantly causing climate change following the scientific method. yes or no will do. A "no" btw means its politically driven and not driven by clear concise science.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,669 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

We import chipped potatoes or crisps but not large amounts of ordinary potatoes. People no longer eat Irish grown apples as we cannot grow successfully a lot of the popular eating varieties. Our climate is too wet and mild over the winter and early spring.

The other problem is economy of scale. Over the last 20 years veg growers have got larger and larger. But that has not saved them. The retailers keep squeezing margin so farmers exit the market. We also end up as a dumping for excess veg from the UK especially which forces down margin for producers in Ireland.

Slava Ukrainii

On what basis do we believe Ireland will be followed by anyone? The actual basis for this is a crushing naïveté. Everyone loves the Irish. Everyone follows the Irish. We are the moral leaders of the world. How on earth did such garbage ever get established as our national self understanding to direct national policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,639 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The nights are starting to close in which has me in mind of a nice turf fire.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 14,297 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Irish apples grow fine in my back garden in Dublin. Supermarkets in Ireland are usually full of potatoes from France and the UK.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 18,669 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Irish consumers will not buy those apples. I would say they are full of French and UK potatoes. If they are it's because they are varieties that are not successfully grown in Ireland.

At present locally I was talking to a small potato grower. He only grows 3 acres of potatoes. He sells to small shops. Sales are very slow this year. He is probably getting less than half the price they are getting paid in the shops he sells to.

10 years ago he was growing 8 acres but cut in half 6-7 years ago. Dropped to 3 acres 3 years ago and will be back to less than 2 next year.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Do we have a definitive for the sky falling in??

Because they’ve been constantly wrong so far.

https://cei.org/blog/wrong-again-50-years-of-failed-eco-pocalyptic-predictions/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I understand what you are trying to put out there but it's not nearly as certain as you are trying to say it is.

You linked to a piece by scientific experts and even they didn't exactly make a definitive statement.

Your argument re science never developing beyond theory was thoroughly debunked right here on thread.

I realiise it is difficult to develop climate science to a stage beyond theory which I assume you are in agreement with. That then means there theoretical reporting should be looked on as no more than that and far from the gospel is it being portrayed as.

The long and short of it is nobody really knows. The area is too big and with too many unknowns into the future for current research to an anyway accurate prediction of outcomes in 1000 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

But you were on another thread telling us how you'll be back in Eire this Friday.

Hope the cycle across the open seas doesn't cause you to catch a cold from the damp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Oh I know and they know what the Scientific method is. Why I tried get it distilled down to brass tacks. To try and get an Admission that Climate Science is one of the most theoretical out there. An admission it's political and not Scientific as it's theory. Not like the theory of putting a fork in the wall socket we all know what happens then we have a level of understanding on that. Why I find it odd you have bonafide scientists calling it fact. When they should be stating no such thing due to the scientific method. Someone five years down the line could come out with a better theory that explains it and nothing to do with humans. OFC most of us understand pumping large amounts of Co2 into the atmosphere is not great.

Not following you. Are you stalking my posts and have come to the conclusion that I'm flying home to Dublin on Friday?

Personally I'd rather see control on cancer causing pollutants first before zoning in on co2. This is the mistake the greens made when it came to diesel cars. Diesel marginally better on co2 yet far worse on the actual dangerous emissions. We must all buy diesel bullsh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Does that work the same with your doom climate change apocalypse theories?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭monseiur

According to a report by Earthsight, a London based NGO, millions of tons of emissions are embedded in the beef Europe imports from Brazil every year. In 2019 up to 21 million tons of green house gases may have been attached to this beef import with the highest emissions attached to Italy, followed by Netherlands, Spain, Germany and UK. This equals to the annual emission footprint of 2.5 million EU citizens. Most of this beef comes from the state of Mato Grosso, Brazil which straddles the Amazon Jungle. Mato Grosso is the most deforested state in Brazil. No one it seems calculated the annual emissions of the transport of this beef half ways across the world to Europe

On the flip side Ireland produces the most enviormently friendly, almost organic beef in the world, we're on Europe's doorstep and yet, as I type this, the three govenment party leaders are meeting and the Greens are demanding that farmers reduce their stock numbers as part of their demand for a 30% emissions reduction, other EU countries will have reduce no. too. This gap in the market will be filled by South American producers at what cost ?? , perhaps someone should wake up Eamon Ryan and educate him and his followers, or is the game already lost. It sure is a pathetic state of affairs, the lunatics have taken over the asylum.

Ya. Sure it's enough to look at imported briquettes following the closure of Bord na Mona production.

If the greens are happy with that as a policy, you can be sure they are not capable of looking at complex systems of carbon swaps etc.

It's all about the headline for them - Get rid of cows, who cares if we import beef hand over fist with extreme carbon footprint as long as it's behind the scenes.

Green my ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭amacca

Are they pink ladies, does yhe consumer want them and is willing to pay for them etc, do they grow in sufficient quantities (or would they if you had a large enough orchard) for you too make a living from supplying those apples to any of the large supermarket chains or other buyers after your machinery, labour and insurance costs etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I wish people would get less of a hard on about aviation and it’s impact on climate change. Aviation is responsible for about 1.9%

Road transport is responsible for 11.9% of climate change

Iron and steel manufacturing is responsible for 7.2%

but the big bad aeroplanezzzzz

Everyone knows we are nowhere near a position to just stop oil and gas use. Governments know this and so will surely be issuing licences for exploration for many years to come.

They like to talk out the other side of their mouths though as well to keep the pressure on the general population re climate emergency and be able to tax accordingly.

Carbon taxes are a dream for government in that you have a portion of the population only too eager to pay if not looking for it to be increased.

Government then piss the money away on green grants that basically cause prices to inflate by the amount of the grant. Great system altogether but sure once Eamon Ryan has his headline, it's all ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

But Wasn’t ER and the GP actively blocking exploration licences for fossil fuels?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Shoog

... and your the smart guy who spotted it. Funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭amacca

Aviation is responsible for about 1.9%

Well that's news to me.....really??

I admit I thought it was alot more, I could tame my raging boner if there was some definitive proof of that around?

A bitter little article from a conservative who understands that as education increases conservative support falls. The solution he see is to class everyone with degrees as dumb.

Sorry not buying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

About 60% of carbon now is from Asia, rapidly rising by every metric.

North America and Europe are at about 12% and rapidly falling.

We must do our part but it's driven more by narcissism rather than results now.

Climate change will be won or lost in Asia.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,808 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Actual management of gorse growth helps prevent fires, who knew 🤔

It's completely mad what is going with rule makers.

I'm certain that the typical green plan of allowing areas to grow wild is responsible for a large portion of wild fires we are seeing. They cannot see that sensible maintenance may make more sense. Lose 10 percent through maintenance or lose 90 percent through fire due to bad management.

Of course the natural grazing will help.

No

Wilding is more about rebalancing the catastrophic loss of biodiversity in Ireland. However a rewilded area in Ireland will quickly return to scrub which is more resistant to wildfires than parched grassland or heath.

You are talking crap. I live in the middle of the bog. I see what is going on with policy makers having no clue on the actual state of things on the ground, much like what you are saying.

Ungrazed peat lands which form a large portion of commonages in west of Ireland tend to grow heathers and gorse bushes, both of which are like kindling in a dry spell. There is no argument to say that there are less likely to combust in an ungrazed state. Indeed department of ag. Policy has changed to now require grazing as a management plan which the farmers were telling them for years but of course the guy from the city knew better.

Upland bog is not the typical rewilding project.

Raised and upland bogs are important habitats which require specific management plans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

After the cold winter of 1962-1963, British journalists were still warning people about a New Ice Age in the late 1970s to early 1980s.

Nobody can predict climate, there have been no successful precise predictions of climate, and the primary driver of climate is the sun.

Advertisement