Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,018 ✭✭✭✭Penn

An interesting choice. I thought he did a great job with Shang-Chi, the bus and the scaffolding fights especially.

I wonder if this means no Shang-Chi 2 until after the next Avengers films, or will they give it to another director in the meantime. Be a big ask for him to do both.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There’s been some mounting disquiet about the pressure Marvel is putting on SFX houses. An account from one anonymous effects artist has now been published by Vulture:

Kind of sounds like the worst aspects of video game ‘crunch’: unrealistic deadlines, and lower-level workers having to work crazier hours. And also helps explain why so much of the CG in these films look like complete crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,809 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Most of that stuff sounds fierce annoying... it sounds like some of the blame lies with the VFX companies themselves though, undercutting each other with financial bids that they can't manage without killing their own employees. So for at least some of the stuff, Disney/Marvel are being promised standards in the bid that the post house can't realistically deliver.

The 'Marvel directors are only sundance faves who don't know VFX' sort of comment makes me think maybe they were working on The Eternals. A lot of the others probably do have a bit of VFX experience... the 4 biggest possibilities that jump out are that, Black Widow, Captain Marvel, or Shang Chi I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Interesting that they blame Black Panther’s third act on there not being a cinematographer around.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Aye; I said it recently elsewhere already, but the film dropped off a cliff in that last act - and that goes a long way to explain the why. I'd wonder how much Sam Raimi was involved at that point with his own MCU film 'cos there was a much cleaner, consistent visual identity throughout the film. But as the article says this is what happens when indie directors with no FX experience get hired.

To the broader subject: it's depressing that we're back here again - clearly nothing has changed since the last time there was controversy about VFX shops; that time it erupted around 2012's Life of Pi's Oscar win. Nothing'll change until these sweatshops managed to Unionise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

That INFURIATED me! Life of Pi strain drove that company to the wall. They were already bankrupt and shut down mere hours before/after they won their Oscar. They accepted their oscar knowing their company was now doomed.

When Ang Lee was asked about working so extensively with FX he replied that he wished they were cheaper and faster. What a f*cking DICK!!!

It won best cinematography (I believe same guy won for Gravity). CINEMATOGRAPHY???!!! They filmed in a damn swimming pool. Any mention on the fact that the effects team built his scenes? I doubt there is a single movie out there that does not have some digital manipulation. Certainly large movies that would likely be nominated. Surely it's time to rename the award to Cinematography Design and share it with the Cinematographer of course but ALSO the applicable FX team.

These FX studios work under enormous pressure to deliver speed and cost and also being 100% flawless. They are given a budget and a rough ballpark of what is required (This is understandable as shooting changes). But there are horror stories of having to re-do effects because the director wanted a cloud moved. In Contact, the actor/crew filming young Jodie Foster character forgot her coloured contact lenses. There and then on the set, instead of simply pausing and inserting the lenses (Whatever, makeup touched needed maybe), they go: "Ah, Effects guys will fix it". Took the effects guy 2 days to do. I mean they have a release date of November 2023 for Dune part 2. They are still casting! I personally would have NO problem waiting a few more months. I don't know what timeline they had for part 1 or if the Pandemic helped them or hurt them but the effects in Part 1 were stunning. Don't ruin it by rushing it and giving these people mere months or even weeks to do. It won't work

Corridor Crew's VFX Artists reacts gives a good breakdown on effects

Sorry for the exclamation marks and capitals but, to quote Peter Griffin, it really grinds my gears this lack of respect for these people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,776 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Feige has confirmed the Fantastic Four will not be an origin story.

“A lot of people know this origin story. A lot of people know the basics. How do we take that and bring something that they’ve never seen before

Jake Schreier will direct Thunderbolts

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Makes sense; Spider-Man: Homecoming wasn't an origin story; even the most recent Batman movie wasn't, I think audiences at this stage can be trusted to understand the basics of many staples of the superhero genre.

More people are coming out about the Marvel grind, in one case being happy to waive the option of anonymity; sounds like a shítshow though one wonders will Marvel make any pronouncement if this builds momentum

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Hopefully, as suggested at the end of that piece, the actors will start calling this out. 

• Advertisement

At the end of the day it's celebrity endorsement that'll turn heads, for sure. God knows those ones who play Hollywood love to talk big about Important Causes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,197 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Even Irish FX companies get dragged into this. Remember how there was a harp emblem at the end of Wandavision and I want to say a couple of other projects.

Giancarlo Esposito has said he has held talks with Marvel and wants to play Professor X

"So, I have not worked for Marvel yet," The actor revealed. "I've been in a room with them and talked with them, and to answer your question, I think what they do is on the lines of that mythological journey that Joe Campbell talked about, who happened to be a friend of George Lucas that George Lucas put into his stories. They do the same thing."

"So, there's been talk of Magneto, there's been talk of Dr. Freeze, there has been talk of, who else are they talking about over there? Oh, Doom! And there is Professor X. Pick one? I'm going to go for something that is a little bit different. I'm going to go and put it out in the universe that it is Professor X

Good choice but potentially a shade too old to play the X that I would suspect Marvel might want. If they're starting from scratch I have presumed they're thinking more of a First Class period.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I think he's be great. On the /Film Daily pod they had speculated that he could be playing Norman Osborn as it looks like Osborn in the Freshman Year series won't be white.

I've read the Freshman Year cartoon will be a different universe. So Norman Osborn doesn't exist in the main MCU, but he does in the Freshman Year show (and it allows them to use different versions of Spiderman enemies).

I think he'd be great as either Prof.X or Magneto. I don't think he's too old, he's only slightly older than Patrick Stewart was in the first X-Men, and he played the role for 20 years at this stage. Could easily get 10-12 years out of Esposito.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Well. We've entered the point in the MCU where I'm now going ...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The only 'The Hood' I care about is the Thunderbirds one, and he needs to be played by the great Mick Lynch 😆

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Yeah the Hood is a lesser known villain, he basically gets his power from a Magical Hood that he stole.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Parker_Robbins_(Earth-616)

• Advertisement

Oh, I was there a loooonnnngggg time ago. "A talking tree? Oh, like an Ent? and a talking racoon? Will Bruce Willis be doing voice?" But the biggest Who for me was "Moon Knight". I thought The Red Hood was a version of Tim Drake/Robin?

Oooohhhhhh. That is interesting. Not overly concerned about the age. I think you need someone with a bit of age/gravitas in that role (Again, as usual, I am talking from a NON-Reader POV. I'm sure there are younger/alternative versions of Prof X that I am unaware of). My only thought though is, is he too typecast lately as eeeeeevilllllll?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Stanley Tucci for Prof X would be my choice

Red Hood is Jason Todd, a former Robin in DC. You might be thinking of when Tim Drake became too old to be Robin (and Damian Wayne became Robin instead) so Tim Drake became Red Robin.

This character is just The Hood (though his hood is red). He's a magic-based villain, so I assume they're doing a science v magic type of story with Ironheart v The Hood. Does sound a lot more interesting than the hole Marvel seem to have found themselves in with regards villains where it's often just a villain with the same abilities/powers but in a different colour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Bryan Cranston gets my vote for Professor X

I am Groot has dropped on Disney+

Five 5 minute episodes

Bryan Cranston and Giancarlo Esposito as Prof.X and Magneto. Either way round, doesn't matter.

Nothing to write home about IMO. They also did a Marvel Legends episode on Bruce Banner. Skipped right over the Incredible Hulk and started with The Avengers (Assemble)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I don't watch all clips/non-trailers but I watched this on the Marvel youtube channel and thought it was cool

(no.. there's no film in the works or anything.. it's for the "docuseries")

Hulk | Marvel Studios’ Legends | Disney+

Advertisement