Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Pay Talks - see mod warning post 4293

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭fliball123

A different poster put it up there a page or so back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Exactly. Someone who is with the same company 5 plus years and isn't qualified enough to move jobs having been refused a pay rise😭

Edit. He's said it's loyalty. Hope they are as loyal to him in the coming recession

There ye go there is the post the poster thought he was making the case of increasing ps pay and actually shot him/her self in the foot when you read into the data and you can see the weekly pay disparity between both sectors

Where did I say I asked for a pay rise? How do you know my qualifications? I have explained why I am staying were I am currently working. As I said they already went to bat for their employees back during the last recession (twice) by doing things like remortgaging their house so I can say they will do everything they can to keep the show on the road and better the divil you know.

If you or your public sector brethren cant see the recession that is coming then you have you head in the sands, you only have to look at some threads on here talking about recession, cost of living, house prices softening, war etc and thats just in this a small snapshot of this country the globe is feeling it and give it another quarter or 2 and we will see where we are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Not what I was saying. I was replying to a previous comment from somebody who disingenously said private sector workers were able to pick cash off the money tree. Not in my experience.

Caviat here: I'm in the public sector now and could earn a lot more in the private sector. I enjoy my work and colleagues. I'm in a lucky enough situation that I'm comfortable and lead, need or want a fancy lifestyle.

Context is key.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Teachers.

25 point pay scale so roughly somewhere around the middle for fairness at pay scale point 14 is 56,232 per year

Secondary school teachers work 33 weeks a year so they are on about 1700 a week gross

Did I hear right that a lot of secondary teachers are turning down the chance to earn more during the summer for correcting papers?? they must be doing alright if they can afford to turn their nose up at extra work while they are getting paid to be off and a cost of living crisis to be managed

In all fairness, they deserve the money and holidays if they had to deal with gobshites like myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

I explained a page back why the real change was 5% pay increase for PS which is also backup up by the publically available information, a general 4.75% with the extra part of a percent accounted for by pay equalisation for those entering on the lower scale from 2012. The anomaly of 2020 and 2021 is fairly obviously explained to anyone who's watched the news. All public service pay agreement are set out in the argeements on gov.ie and in the circulars on the relevant departments websites. But don't let facts get in the way of your flashy 17% cherry picked nonsense, you'd struggle to pass a stats questions if you didn't call those years and outliers!

Im not pushing for 10% by the way, I'd be more interested in arrangements that might help keep staff in cities along with a modest increase in line with what's proposed.

I saw recession coming when no one ws talking recession. Just Hope you're employer can do it again for you, but with 2 remortgages under their belt, the belt is very tight

• Advertisement

That post was about the latest CSO data that shows a 20% pay disparity between the public and private sector. Nothing to do with pay rises in the ps

Well the last one happened about a decade ago so I would hope they have moved on from that but as I say at least I know they wont go down without a fight and usually during a recession its a LIFO system.

So your pulling your figures from people with 14 years service among 35000 employees and equating that to 40000 civil servants.

This thread just keeps on brightening my day. 😁

I assume, like your phenomenally biased 17% pay increase that is really 5%, that you have hard data, with the appropriate caveats and controls for education level, experience and worth on the international market?

In fairness, this is the ideal for the government. You pay a little under the market value for employees and in exchange you give them stability. Same myself, and I like my work colleagues and the work itself luckily. Recessions produce good civil/public servants!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

You asked for a profession that pays that much. Now go lock one of them in the wardrobe and assume their identity.

Me thinks no matter the answer , the fact, the data point etc thats handed to you your reply will always be a variation of "yeah but"

Exactly it. I'll settle down here (but will do my utmost to earn my wage either sector). May move on, who knows. If I'm getting paid, I'll work my hardest. Don't count minutes/hours and lucky I have a sound boss. As I hope I am. Job gets done...meh, have an early Bank Holiday weekend. Enjoy. However...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭shawki

101 posts since lunchtime and it’s the same fools going around in circles bickering at each other.

Have the mods abandoned ship?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,587 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

And two thirds of those posts are from the same person who denounces any kind of pay rise for the PS - they can't let a post go unanswered, make you wonder...

What's a mod? They seem to mention them a lot on the shooting forum. Maybe you'll find them there 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Its alright, he's on a holiday so not wasting work time. Just his own . For the last 10 years banging the same drum. Makes you wonder ....

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Summer2020

I reckon his Mrs must have cheated on him years ago with a public servant or "clock watcher" as he calls them . Only thing that could explain the obsession.

I already posted about this a few days ago. On paper, there are 25 points but there are actually only 17 that you get increments on. It's a joke. Why not just say only 17 incremental points on the scale. Who agreed to that, it's ridiculous.

I am on point 15, I'll stay on this salary for 3 years. Next point is worse, same salary for 4 years. I've reached the Pinnacle of my salary on Point 14 as I actually had salary increases, but have 20 more years to teach 🙄

i work in IT management with a fair amount of eye on the market for consultants as well as obviously watching how we are doing in recruiting/competing for IT expertise from panels

if i heard of a private sector IT professional that hadnt seen 10% minimum payrise in the last two years (tbh thats on low side) id consider them an awful candidate to be doling out advice to anyone on anything tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭salonfire

Aww, do you think I'm richer than you? Thanks!! That means a lot coming from you and shows hard work, dedication and stepping out of your comfort zone does pay off. Things that would be quite foreign to you I'd say.

There was some lean times after 2008 when emigration was a strong possibility but things turned around rapidly after that. Looking back over the course of the decade, it all balances out I'd say. Of course, I'm under no illusion that the future is far from certain.

But again, thanks for thinking of me and taking the time to comment !

Post edited by salonfire on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,517 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Trying to get somewhat back to the topic on hand, Minister McGrath has signalled that the Government is ready to improve its offer.

Meanwhile the unions have indicated that they recognise they need to be flexible and meet the Government half way. All starting to fall into place it seems. WRC discussions are ongoing behind the scenes and have intensified.

I'd say the unions will get the incremental pay increase up to 3% from 2.5%. Perhaps even 3.5%. It'll still fall far short of inflation, but there will be a built in review mechanism in 6 months or so to take stock of the inflation situation. The Government is insisting that inflation will start to fall off later into the year so theoretically speaking they shouldn't have an issue with that - i.e. if the data shows that inflation is falling off then the deal does not need to be altered any further.

From Jan 2014 to Dec 2022 its about 10/11% depending on the amount paid out for increments in 2021. The reason for using 2014 as a benchmark year is because its the year that most will agree that the recession was well and truly over and according to outside auditors (IMF) who tried to put manners on our public finances and we were told the costs we were paying were not reasonable or affordable which is why pay cuts happened for the first time ever in the public sector along with things like the pension levy was introduced. There are as many people educated with yours and different caveats that you outline in the private sector as there are in the public sector.

I know you will argue you cant compare the 2 sectors which is fine if we stuck to this rule but it seems like we can compare both sectors when it suits narrative of a payrise for the public sector and you cant when there is a condraction for these pay rises.. So can you or anyone explain how in England (our nearest neighbour) the private sector earn more on average than their Public sector counter parts and in this country the public sector earn 20% more. The tail is wagging the dog here. I await the "you cant use averages" oh the "oh the outliers" yet outliers will exist to the same degree in both sectors and both countries and the data set sample size is a really high number meaning outliers do not skew the data to the same degree as smaller data sets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

public is paid more in the uk though, not less - https://www.bbc.com/news/55089900

public service don't pay minimum wage, unlike the private sector. They also do not have 0 hour contracts etc.

I have explained my reasoning for staying in the position I am in and I have stated I could get a pay rise if I moved jobs. No point getting a pay rise when the recession hits and jobs are lost and forced redundancies are part and parcel for the private sector in those circumstances, for those in the public sector they probably dont get this as they were cushioned from forced redundancies after the last recession you only have to look at the massive swell in welfare figures to see that during that period that the private sector was decimated. So do I jump ship now for a pay rise which could result in a trip to the dole office in the very near future. Its actually like the public sector pay rises now you may get them but if conditions change drastically they will be taken back as currently we will have to borrow the extra 2.3B Billion a year that the sector is looking for.

• Advertisement

Its alright, I had your misses and your "auld one" while she was playing off side :)

Advertisement