Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Germany needs a bailout

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

I didn't see anyone in Europe telling people to buy a 600k house on 50k a year wages.....to get a "foot on the property ladder"

We will never learn anything unless we take responsibility for our own actions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

He did some mad **** no doubt about it but he was 100% correct on this and too think he was laughed at as made the comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Ouch Chinese Byrne

Glencore are not an EU company. Where will the coal be mined that you compared to Poland?

Yeah, just like Germany should have to learn not to chase cheap gas from single supplier (against all advice/warnings)

Also, that 600k was coming from German funds, why did they not do due diligence?

Germany fuelled a credit bubble and got away scot free. Then penalised the end users.

They now want real burden sharing

We took responsibility for our actions, shouldn't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Indeed, the lads telling us that Germany and the EU didnt throw us under the bus, are the same types who would have told us that the Brits are a great bunch and the famine was our own fault.

Anyway it looks like the EU are giving ze Germans what they want again and they can shut down their last nuclear power stations while siphoning fuel from the rest of Europe to deal with their own self inflicted crisis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Labaik

Is he not on the beach in Kiev sunning himself with his fellow citizens?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Labaik

Sorry not once have I justified the invasion of Ukraine. Ive said numerous times its wrong. What I dont understand is why we in the west are so against the bombing of Ukraine but turn a blind eye to wars or interventions in other parts of the world by the west. We let the Americans refuel in Shannon on the way to blowing kids up in the middle east ffs. Im against all war, but it seems some people like to cherry pick what wars they are against.

Why would the Germans do due diligence? that was the job of the regulator and banks in Ireland.

"We took responsibility for our actions, shouldn't they?"

No we didn't, it was the Banks fault, the regulators fault, the governments, Germany's and the list goes on. It was never the fault of the person who bought a house they could never afford. Just look at what we are doing now, repeating the same errors when buying houses for stupid money and complaining when the government tries to implement a proper rental system which was one of the main findings after the last crash!!

Your posts alone prove we never took responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,693 ✭✭✭brickster69

No idea exactly but they have 16 coal mines in Australia, 2 in Canada and 3 in South Africa. probably Australia given it's closeness to Japan.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

It's like the dot com era with these gas prices. ****ing hell, i'm dreading to know what my gas bill is going to be this winter. It is not even August yet

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

No, he had Pier Morgan over to the “warzone” to do a kiss arse interview so had to stay in.

Was in this mornings paper that Ireland has an exemption from the gas nonsense.

Then I would think that Poland won’t be pissed off.

Russia must be imploding from sanctions if they are implementing their last resort besides a WW already.

once the gas is turned off then the EU will adapt and theirs no going back for Russia.

China is also imploding with debt based on failed infrastructure so it will be only India who could potentially bankroll Russias energy sector for a short to mid term.

Norway have started ramping up gas production and I would think many more European countries will also do the same.

So we're agreed?

Germany needs to learn their lesson, on this?

Rest of Europe, which didn't destroy their energy security, shouldn't have to shoulder the burden?

I mean it's only Germany's fault...

Cool. Glad we agree on something

Combined bloc gas use, as they continue to shut their nuclear plants.

Looks like they've learned nothing.

You cannot have it both ways. Either the bloc penalises erratic government economic policy, or it doesn't.

And nowhere will you see me saying we were faultless, rather we were forced to shoulder ALL the blame, far above reasonable, to protect the bloc's financial stability. THEN we got hit with a massively inflated rate, far beyond recommend. That's where the German hypocrisy lies, and now they're expecting a free ride.

But you continue to tug your forelock there, like a good lad

German policy has brought the bloc to its knees

I'm sure they are delighted at having to close 5 massive mines just as coal reaches an all time high and supply is going to dry up.

Everyone pays now because of these idiotic sanctions, only people happy are the people selling it.

- Camille Paglia

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

• Registered Users Posts: 3,639 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Why is the EU so stupid and greedy? We've handed over our security to despots and corrupt foreign regimes in return for what?

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement

You are all over the place. I am not sure what point you are trying to make but more or less you have an issue with Germany.

Let me put it this way, it doesn't matter what Germany do Ireland still needs to reduce our energy and fuel requirements. Our "energy security" is terrible. We have a system based on oil/gas and we have f**k all oil and gas. We have an abundance of nature resources which we could use to provide energy but we don't use them.

Not sure why you would think Ireland has energy security? we are an island at the end of Europe, with connections to a country which is no longer part of European Union. We have no direct link into mainland Europe. We are dependent on oil & gas with limited supplies. We don't have the buying ability to outbid other bigger nations.

So what if we pi** off Germany? whats to stop them outbidding Ireland for oil & gas and we are left sitting in the cold?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Germany has neither the LNG terminals nor extra capacity the pipeline connections to buy the gas we use.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

We have the Corrib field for gas, which the eco wendys fought tooth and nail. What other natural resources do we have for energy? Unreliable and cost prohibitive stuff like wind and pixie dust?

We don't have LNG terminals either and we have one link, which is to the UK, who at this moment in time are in a huge energy crisis of their own. I watched the C4 news last night and the first 10-15 mins was about people shutting off power, not be able to afford heating etc

We have "unreliable and cost prohibitive stuff like wind and pixie dust" because we didn't invest in large scale renewables like we should have.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

No energy generation is reliable.

Coal and gas plants go offline all the time.

Ireland is about 30% powered by wind on average this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Germany went out of its way to stop LNG terminals in itself. A country whose economic power is largely built on gas.

Couldn't have anything that would challenge the stranglehold Russia had over it and by extension much of Europe.

Companies like Thyssen Krupp the Steel maker. Biggest in Western Europe. They stop the furnace, they are done. They must be kept going.

The glass factories and their 50k employeees, when their furnaces cool that's it,finished not a matter of reheating.

And on and on.

Germany has dealt a hammer blow to its position as a manufacturing superpower.

If you take manufacturing out of the equation, there is a very big hole in the German economy. Much of the economy is 20 years behind the rest of Europe, fax machines and internet speeds not seen for 20 years here.

Will Germany take Europe down with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

.Yawn.

Come back to me when you have read more than "Conspiracy theory for Dummies"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭monseiur

A subsidary of New Fortress Enengy Inc. New York had big plans to build a €650 million liquified natural gas terminal in north Kerry on the Shannon estuary. The Green Party, as part of the programme for goverment, ensured that this project would never see the light of day - the other parties who signed up to this are as much to blame.......yet they talk about energy security! I guess we get the politicians we deserve !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

@Cork Exile

No, he's saying that we already took a massive punitive hit to protect the German economy. Their institutions lent to ours, all private deals.

Our gombeen government took on a huge portion as sovereign debt, to protect Germany. Also paid out unsecured!

Germany hammered us into much of that while loading the bailout with far higher rate than required.

You know that was not the only reason we "took a hit" there? Some sort of hit was unavoidable one way or another because of how "we" had mismanaged the countries economy, just as a hit is unavoidable for Germany now because they misjudged Russia and Putin, and put too many energy eggs in the same basket. One's behaviour has consequences (unless you are a child perhaps), there won't always be some hero there to step in and save you from them, or a clever dodge [oh we'll just not pay the debts] to avoid them.

My main point in the post was that the "hit" we would have taken could have been even greater if there was no Troika and we did not receive that bailout, or perhaps received a smaller bailout with a tougher programme of reforms (due to a lack of participation from likes of Germany), even if you think the terms we got were too harsh.

I don't think we did too badly, given what could have happened to Ireland when we consider the history of some other countries with similarly large crises and resulting IMF bailouts (see South America - hyper inflation, banking collapses, massive political instability and violence).

As regards blaming the "gombeen govt." or it all being "private deals" we then got publically punished for, no one forced that easy money on us or made us waste it the way we did (e.g. bidding up prices of houses and land, paying inflated wage increases). Irish people generally loved it all on the way up + rewarded the politicians for it by repeatedly re-electing them. The money was flowing, and that was all that mattered. I lived that period, people were like pigs in shíte and most thought the boom and the cheap money would never end, at worst it might slow down a bit. The naysayers and negative ninnies did not get much of a hearing.

I hate going over this history again, but it was also our own government that put us on the hook for some of the worst of the private behaviour by initially trying to protect likes of Anglo Irish Bank (afair it was not at all a normal bank, or systemic in the sense of AIB or BOI or Ulster or the building societies etc) and people invested in it + connected to it from the full consequences of their decisions.

So, when we get hammered, publicly, for private decisions, why do Germany get off for their public policy which they've been warned about (for decades, actually)

Yes we should support them but in the same manner they did us. They shouldn't get to pontificate, in one crisis (partially of their making), and play poor innocents in one entirely of their own.

It's **** hypocrisy, entitlement, and an attitude of superiority

Germany are certainly not going to "get off" here anyway just as we didn't. They will suffer and already are suffering and are being criticised [what is happening here on this thread and elsewhere on this site?] and I'm sure refecting on past policy in the light of what is happening in Europe now etc. rather than playing "poor innocents". That seems to be a figment of your imagination.

My other point was that it is not as though the part of the EU that is not as dependent on Russian gas can just watch the Germans suffering from the sidelines and finger wag + say they did it to themselves, now they must pay the price. The more their economy suffers, the worse it will be for everyone else in the EU also. This is quite similar to "bailouts". Germany and the like could IMO have decided to be even harsher, protect their own countries/economies and their banks from the economic fallout in Ireland/Greece/Spain/Portugal etc., pulled up the drawbridge + just finger wagged.

That would have meant the end of the current Euro (in the sense of some countries like Ireland could have been forced to exit) and massive damage to the entire EU project which would of course have rebounded back politically and economically on Germany, and the others.

Finger wagging at the Germans and others in the East of EU who've relied on Russian energy and refusing to help or making the cost of help exhorbitant and crippling, will rebound back on them in the end as well. So with that in mind, it is not hypocrisy at all IMO for Germany to expect some kind of support and burden sharing here.

In some ways a lot of this discussion is irrelevant to Ireland. We are not connected to EU energy or gas networks to share supplies of either, we have no LNG terminal to import our own gas (which would be taking from LNG imports elsewhere in the EU). We have no ability to store any gas or hedge against problems this winter. Our practical ability to assist is close to 0, we can't even help ourselves really.

I suppose we could have some agreement between EU-UK (?) where they would supply us with some % less gas they direct our way currently, in order to boost the supply from Norway/North Sea into EU networks but that is hardly going to amount to very much and requires trust and negotiations in a situation where EU-UK relations are quite poor and deteriorating. I think that reality has been recognised by Ireland being exempted from what is happening at EU level as regards burden sharing.

(edited a few spellings...)

Post edited by fly_agaric on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

And the annoying thing was that a lot of the profligacy - greedily lending to badly run banks - was done by German and other funds. When, by rights, these funds should have taken a loss, the tax payer had to stump up and protect them.

Advertisement