Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Note Post #1 - The 2022 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,421 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Thought he was excellent, especially in the second half.

Kerry love producing corner backs called O'Sullivan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

McDaid is 26. He was standout player on Galway U21 team that got to 2017 AI Final.

Next year is very difficult to predict for Ulster or Connacht teams. While Kerry and Dublin have easy passages through Munster and Leinster, Ulster is a pure mine-field for everyone as Tyrone showed this year. Connacht any of the three can beat each other on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,699 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Next year you have the round robin in Championship after the provincial finish. The top team make the QF and 2nd and 3rd play peliminary QF's.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 52,017 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Man of the Match is given on the match in question ie the Final. Nothing to do with any other game. Clifford was great but for me Walsh was better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭creedp

Bias is always heavily in favour of the MOTM being from the winning team so unless he was spectacularly better that Clifford there was always only to be one winner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

The provincial winner will be the top seed in their group and first game at home should be a help in theory. The more games next year and group format will favour the teams with the best strength in depth and probably lessen the chance of underdog reaching the All Ireland final.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭Robson99

John Daly should be in the half back line. Can see him getting an all star

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Just looking at the scoring stats there, excl Walsh, Galway forwards scored 1 point from play, subs scored nothing.

Kerry forwards excl DC, scored 3 from play (plus a mark) and 2 from the subs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Yes the new format is going to really damage some Ulster teams imo.

Imagine a team like Donegal who play Ulster, so they could in theory play 4 rounds of Ulster, winning 3 and losing in the final. So they could beat Tyrone, Armagh, Monaghan and then lose to Derry. That's 3 big wins.

But they lose the final so they're 2nd seeds. So you'd expect them to finish 2nd. They now need to play a 3rd placed team which could be a tricky enough team along the levels of Cork or Roscommon or Kildare.

Then when they've got through that, if they want to win an All Ireland, they have to go and win another 3 big matches

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Correct. If it wasn't the All-Ireland, Walsh would have shaded it. But it was the all-Ireland, and winning team will almost always get it.

Walsh scored more, he got more from play, and his scores were more difficult to execute. I also think he got on more ball than D Clifford during open play. Taking all of those points into account, can anyone provide an alternative reason why D Clifford should get MoM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,247 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Think you have the Kerry scores wrong there, their starting forwards (excluding DC) scored 0-8.

Sean O'Shea 0-3, P Clifford 0-2, Geaney, O'Brien, O'Connor all 0-1.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,251 ✭✭✭✭km79

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭MacDanger

SOS's were from frees, Geaney's was a mark.

O'connor was shown at MF on the RTÉ report but he was actually half forward so 4 points from their starting forwards plus 2 off the bench

• Registered Users Posts: 18,699 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The provincial championship's should be disgarded. However the main opposition to there removal is from Ulster.

The present system could be considered unfair to Kerry it competes in a provincial championship where the other five counties are all premier hurling counties where football is the second sport.

After a while you may see Ulster teams taking a dive in the provincial championship if it's an advantage to them. You have four who are D1 teams and automatically in the round robjn and and D2 team will be more than likely in the round robin as well

Slava Ukrainii

Would also agree with Donal Og about the jubilee presentation.

They were out around 80 minutes before throw in, not many in the stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭JRant

It's quite simple, he's the anointed one and all praise shall be lavished before him. The way they have gone on about him you'd swear there was never another forward in the game to score a point. He's a quality player, no doubt, but the fawning over him is a sight to behold.

Walsh put on one of the best AI performances I've ever seen in CP. A MOTM award won't take that away from him.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I think David Clifford is the best there is, and the best player I have ever seen (and I'm not a youngster!!!). I do understand the praise that he gets.

But on the other hand, if someone is obviously better than him in a game, that should be recognised. Especially in an All-Ireland final. I know it is scant consolation, but it would have done Shane Walsh some good, to be recognised as the best player in that match on Sunday. Something to be proud off. I'm sure he is proud of it anyway, but it should have been officially recognised.

I was at the match, so haven't seen it back on TV yet. Must look at it and drool over some of his scores.

Not taking away from D Clifford. That was a fair score to rack up too. But the fact that Walsh's was exceptional, the MoM appointers should have taken that into account, and gone against the norm of picking the MoM award from the winning team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭shockframe

Wouldnt be surprising if Shane Waslsh wins accolades like Player of the Month or so in recognition for Last Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭JRant

No argument from me on who should have won the award. Walsh should 100% have won it but that wasn't going to wash with RTE.

For me, the Gouch was one of the best forwards I've ever seen play the game. Canavan is another that just seemed to be playing a different sport to everyone else. Clifford is a top class operator but he has a way to go to reach the heights of some of the best that have gone before him. That's just my opinion though.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,278 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

On the Walsh v Clifford MOTM thing.

It's typical of the lazy journalism that you get with GAA analysis.

Once something is said enough times it becomes fact and no one is willing to question it.

They (the voters) all know Clifford's abilities, he played in a final Kerry won, he scored a lot, therefore he must be MOTM.

No one was willing to put a bit of thought into it, no one was willing to look at Walsh and realize that he single handedly kept the game competitive while playing brilliantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

The jubilee team needs to be moved to part of the HT events.

We had the primary games and Dáithí Ó'Sé talking rubbish with Martin McHugh.

The usual cringe GAA HT stuff with Dáithí trying to get the crowd to cheer after silly "do we think Sam is heading WEST??!!" "a big cheer if you think Sam is heading for the KINGDOM!!"

Awful rubbish.

McHugh not really getting into the spirit of the nonsense when asked how the teams should approach the 2nd half and said Galway should target Clifford and get him a 2nd yellow card. Jesus, Martin we were only having fun.

Madness how someone can say a 23 year old is the best player you've ever seen.

What has he done to deserve that? Cliffords reputation and social media following is completely blowing things out of proportion.

What makes Clifford better than Gooch or even Stephen O'Neill. No attacking mark in their day either!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Lazy clichés like 'Galway always play the right way' or Galway always have heaps of class forwards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

Sean moran not keen on giving Ulster coach Paddy Tally a greater share of the credit for Kerry's transformation. One single mention for him at the end of a long article..

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2022/07/27/sean-moran-small-changes-big-gains-and-the-alchemy-of-jack-oconnor/

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

I think all the Sunday Game panelists on the evening show knew well Walsh was MOM. They are cowards not to pick him. I wonder did anyone vote for Walsh.

Fair play to Tomas Mulcahy, Ciaran Barr, Cyril Farrell etc for voting Padraic Kelly MOM in the hurling final of 1993 v Kilkenny.

Clifford is a great footballer but I've never seen a more sacred cow in GAA. It's like it's written into every analyst's contract 'thou must say it's the greatest point you ever saw if Clifford kicks it, regardless of it being routine'.

Havent heard too many people saying he is the best player ever but at 23 and the way he is going he has the potential to be the best ever

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭MfMan

He is indeed a singular talent, and enjoys the reputation he does because he has been playing to a consistently high standard since he joined the Kerry seniors. Is he better now than the Gooch was at the same age, or will he be seen as having been even better by the end of his career? Maybe Kerry posters best placed to comment on this. I think it's far too early to proclaim Clifford already as the best ever, we don't know how his career will pan out in the years ahead and how he will cope with adversities such as injury, loss of form or confidence and playing in a poor team etc. He is still human. Remember Martin McHugh getting carried away a few years ago and anointing James O'Donoghue with the same praise on the back of a few very good displays, which seems very wide of the mark now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Indeed, and it must be pointed out it's not the fault of the player either.

Neither Clifford (nor JOD for that matter) ever went on about being the greatest or anything like that.

Shane Walsh announced as player of the week.

Would be a classy move by Clifford if he gave the MOTM award to Walsh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

James O'Donoghue had the potential to be another Gooch, the problem was he was cursed by injuries on practically every occasion he had recovered from the last one. As for Clifford, Kerry fans have been tracking his career ever since his minor days (he scored 4-4 in the 2017 final against Derry), and the comparisons with Gooch and Maurice Fitz are well merited, though I'm far too young to remember the Golden Years team to judge whether he measures up to Mikey Sheehy or John Egan.

Advertisement