Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting vat back

• 14-12-2020 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

How does one go about claiming vat from farm products. In the past we have given all receipts to our accountants but they fail to claim any for us. I looked up the revenue website but don't know where to start. Anyone any idea how I upload receipts and claim vat. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Henwin wrote: »
    How does one go about claiming vat from farm products. In the past we have given all receipts to our accountants but they fail to claim any for us. I looked up the revenue website but don't know where to start. Anyone any idea how I upload receipts and claim vat. Thanks

You need to register for revenue website first off, then its simply a case of doing their online application forms for vat on uploading your receipts as proof, you cant claim for two different years on same application so when doing claims just sort out your 18/19/20 vat invoices into each specific year and upload

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭mythos110

I would also say that its up to you to highlight the items that you intend claiming vat back on. The accountant will not typically do this off their own back. Not all farm receipts are eligible for a vat reclaim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Jb1989

mythos110 wrote: »
    I would also say that its up to you to highlight the items that you intend claiming vat back on. The accountant will not typically do this off their own back. Not all farm receipts are eligible for a vat reclaim.

And I think, some vat receipts, can't have the vat claimed as the full price was used to reduce tax in that year of returns. So claiming the vat could get you in trouble in light of an audit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

If claiming back each year separately ie 18,19,20
    Surely the 125 euros minimum payment would be over the 3 years altogether?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭valtra2

Can you claim twice on the one year. Eg for 2020 claim in June for the first few months and then claim again in December for the rest of the year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I would have thought that your accountant would have been doing that for you anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭arctictree

As far as I understand it, you cant claim the VAT back on general day to day stuff (like feed, tools etc) as unregistered farmers don't charge VAT on stock sales.

You can claim VAT back for special types of large items like new fencing, new sheds via the VAT 58 form : https://www.revenue.ie/en/vat/repayments-to-unregistered-persons/farmers-fisherman/how-to-reclaim-vat-on-farm-buildings.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

arctictree wrote: »
    As far as I understand it, you cant claim the VAT back on general day to day stuff (like feed, tools etc) as unregistered farmers don't charge VAT on stock sales.

You can claim VAT back for special types of large items like new fencing, new sheds via the VAT 58 form : https://www.revenue.ie/en/vat/repayments-to-unregistered-persons/farmers-fisherman/how-to-reclaim-vat-on-farm-buildings.aspx

I always understood it as if it is fixed in place, then you can probably claim VAT back on it.

Shed - yes
    Concrete - yes
    Fencing posts/gates/etc - actually yes .... but there are annual overall minimums for your claim

Fixed slurry pump/agitator - yes
    mobile slurry pump/agitator - no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Jb1989 wrote: »
    And I think, some vat receipts, can't have the vat claimed as the full price was used to reduce tax in that year of returns. So claiming the vat could get you in trouble in light of an audit.

afaik unregistered farmers are only supposed to claim on capital expenditure and the balance nett of vat written off as capital allowances

this was the rule, unless it changed in last few years, although I know a lot of people don't stick to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Change your accountant if they're not performing this simple task for you, unless he's a wizard at keeping your tax bill down I'd be wondering why he's not doing it

Are you registered for vat?

• Advertisement

Can you claim back for staples, wire strainers, electric fence tape, battery and plastic posts when claiming vat for unregistered farmers?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Can you claim back for staples, wire strainers, electric fence tape, battery and plastic posts when claiming vat for unregistered farmers?

Only for permanent fencing, fence tape might not qualify unless it's for gateways.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

You need to be above the minimum size for the claim.

And I also think then the item is not an expense but a capital item that has to be written off as one rather than in a single year.

I put up a lean2 shed last year. I know I can include all the steel, timber, cladding, blocks, sand etc but can I include nuts and bolts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

I put up a lean2 shed last year. I know I can include all the steel, timber, cladding, blocks, sand etc but can I include nuts and bolts?

Yes, once they were for the shed. As someone else said, the nett figure then is used for your capital allowance computation and can't be written off in full as an expenses that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

Can you claim back unregistered vat on permanent plastic diesel storage tank only used for tractor diesel ?? Revenue say no but I could resubmit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭kk.man

If they say no...it means no. It's not covered under the usual headings either.

Not true I was unsuccessful in claiming vat on a permanent slurry stirrer on slurry storage tank I resubmitted it with a photo and they sent me on my few bob

I have no doubt they make mistakes. But in this case you have a diesel tank which is not a permanent structure which is used to store agri fuel and you want to claim back on it?

It's not a hydraulic water fitting, a livestock house fitting, concrete, steel. It's also not used for a livestock shed, improving farm land or roadways. I just don't get it?

If itwas used near miking palour for supplying a new hot water dairy geyser would that do ?

• Advertisement

If you bought specific hot water dairy geyser then I would say yes.

Advertisement