Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ journo given 15months for sexually assaulting woman as she slept

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,808 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Or just teach your kids not to sexually assault people........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭Gusser09

So touching someone is rape now? Hmmmmm......

She said no, he stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Well maybe not he had the right, that was poor wording on my part but if you read back through the thread or the one, there are dozens of posts from people saying that this is normal behaviour and he's done nothing wrong because she had consented previously.

I agree there's nuance but you seem to be only applying it to him, trauma is just as nuanced as sexual assault and particularly in sexualt assault cases we've seen allegations come out years after the case when it has been very difficult to take to court due to lack of evidence but that's how long it can take for women to come to terms with their trauma or even build up the courage to take action and who can blame them. If this woman had brought action a few days or a week later, people would still be making the case that she had consented earlier in the night and he had done nothing wrong.

The problem here is "he stopped when she said no". She woke up. Not "he woke her", she woke up to find him already on top of her. Had she not woken up to say no, how far would you be ok with him going?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,232 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

There was no wiggle room in this case for an acquittal, the law is crystal clear, why he didn't just plead guilty and throw himself at the mercy of the court is either down to him or inept counsel.

Reading what his Barrister said in mitigation it sounds like inept counsel, 'she wasn't a blood relative'. Da Fuq?

The main aggregating factor was the victim impact statement, which IMO overshot the runway, things happened to her post crime that he could not have been held accountable for which led to her deteriorating mental health.

Victim statements are incredibly important but they also need to be tempered by a sentencing Judge when deciding on an appropriate punishment.

The judge hammered him, but at the same time oddly left a sliver of a window open, he has until close of business Friday to lodge an appeal and keep him out of Mountjoy.

Will be interesting to see what happens.

If I start punching you when you're asleep, and you wake up and say stop punching me, and I do, have you been assaulted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

"He stopped when she said no" is fairly meaningless when he didn't have any right to start in the first place.

Whatever about what people think the law should be, that is what the law is. I don't see what's so hard to understand about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,245 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

What has also thrown this case into sharper focus is the sentencing of Garda Moody for several years of assaulting his partner. His sentence at 39 months isn't even 3 times what this lad got for making a simple mistake, apologising and owning up.

One is a case either promoted by a woman led by an agenda or unwell and the other a series of vicious ongoing physical and mental tortures by a so called pillar of society. One deserved a spell of community service and the poor box at most, whilst the other animal should be jailed for 5 times his measly 3 years.

Then we have more legislation being proposed that the likes of Faugheen could soon be quoting here: https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2022/0727/1312428-consent-court-politics/

Under McEntee's vision, a man could be found guilty of rape if he believed he has the woman's consent for sex but she denies it. So two people meet, they agree to have sex but she later regrets this and accuses him of rape. Who will be believed in the courtroom? This is mad stuff and I sincerely hope that common sense prevails.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,369 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Right that might be advice to give a child, but surely the main point to teach a child is not to initiate sex with someone whose asleep. Right?

Are you talking about trying to teach the young lad how to behave decently or teach him that women are crazy bitches?

True, I was just thinking how hard it is to be a man as I went for a pint by myself last night and then walked home alone along the canal after dark.

Such a hard life.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

If the person was awake and was being punched were they also being assaulted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It is hard to be a man, I can't help thinking about all those women who raped me over the years.

Waking up because a woman was fondling me, waking up because she had her legs draped over me, waking up because she was sticking her tongue in my mouth, it very much distresses me to think what else happened while I was still asleep.

Lesson learned though, in the future if I have a one night stand she will have to **** off home before we fall asleep, just to protect myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭Augme

I'd say the waking up was the worst part because that's when it ended........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭Augme

If person doesn't realise they have failed asleep then I would say no. If they realise they have fallen asleep and just decide to keep going anyway then yes they are a rapist. If the person slapped on the ass feels its assault then they can report it to the Garda if that's what they want.

Look it's not as if the guy is the same as a previous RTE employee. There was no grooming took place or anything of the sort. He's made a massive error in judgement and I don't think he deserves to be tarnished for the rest of his life. He obviously didn't have a good solicitor available to him during his initial questioning.

If this is how the new bar is set a lot of married people and people in long term relationships or even one night stands could end up in prison. It really is that simple. Trying to initiate is now the same as rape it seems.

It's not rape because nothing went in. Rape requires penetration as far as I know, so it can't be rape but it is a sexual assault.

Yeah loads of people who initiate sex with someone who is asleep are putting themselves at risk of sexual assaulting the person. If they wake up and say they enjoyed it, then happy days. If they wake up and say they didn't enjoy it, it's sexual assault. It's pretty simple.

One night stands are different to longer term relationships in that the likelihood of it being sexual assault are lower. But ultimately, the crucial aspect is consent. If you chat with your partner and have consent to wake them up with a bit of action, then there's no real problem. But that's because they've dealt with consent.

How so many people are able to look at this and not see that it all hinges on consent, is baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

"Under McEntee's vision, a man could be found guilty of rape if he believed he has the woman's consent for sex but she denies it. So two people meet, they agree to have sex but she later regrets this and accuses him of rape."

You have completely misunderstood/misrepresented what that actually means. There's nothing whatsoever to suggest that a woman could retroactively withdraw consent. Nothing.

They get it, they're just pretending not to, which is a lot more disturbing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

One PUA artist said that what he would do with any girl he brings home, is that once he gets them into the bedroom, he makes no advances and waits (for as long as it takes) for them to take the initiative. And then he'd ask them if they sure they want to, several times, before anything happens. A sure proof method of never being accused of rape, which you would need if you were having sex with that large a volume of girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,232 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

If you chat with your partner and have consent to wake them up with a bit of action, then there's no real problem. But that's because they've dealt with consent

There is no such thing as a consent blank cheque to be cashed at some point in the future.

The law is clear, you cannot consent when you are asleep.

Some unlikely conversation between partners would not be a defence to that, unless it was an extremely recent conversation with specifics. Even at that, consent has to be 'ongoing' under the law.

Same judge, not sure how all of this aligns with sentencing when you also account for the 15 months Lisa Smith got for joining ISIS

Yeah that's one approach. But another approach is to be a grown up and chat about it.

Like, the question "do you like that" isn't just a rhetorical device to get the other person to tell you what a brilliant lover you are. It's also a genuine way to make sure the other person is having a good time and consenting to what they're both doing.

You're not trying to get sex FROM someone, you're trying to have sex WITH someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭raclle

Why are my posts being deleted especially the one where I stated that there's a discussion around the new laws about consent on the radio? How is that deemed inappropriate?

Edit: Apparently there's a duplicate thread. Could the mods merge or delete one of them please

Maybe. But if you actually chat with your partner and tell them you'd like to be woken up with them touching you, that's different to doing it without ever discussing it. I don't know the specifics of the law so if you know them, I'll defer to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I don't usually bite on loaded questions so il answer by saying the aim would be to teach him not to be a willing sap, using this chump as an example, could keep a lot of guys out of jail

It would still be his word against hers though. And that appears to be a mojor problem too. Should he have her sign something. Or record a video saying she consents?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

She should no longer have been in his bed once she got an attack of buyers remorse or whatever, most people aren't comfortable bringing strangers home to nap beside them ,he made his first mistake by not asking her to leave once she decided she didn't fancy him anymore, her reason for being there in the first place had now expired

This wasn't someone he was in a relationship with, obviously in that instance you don't expect a partner to leave

Guy was a prize schmuck from start to finish

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement