Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

But do you have any proof of this? This has been claimed time and time again while it's uncontestable that Trump had both a neo Nazi and white supremacist following. It's pretty logical that they'd be happy to lob their support towards the guy promoting CRT conspiracy theories as part of his messaging.

Also given the amount of publicly available info, if they were plants the proof would be found fairly lively. The plant thing is just rolled out whenever the far right show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,099 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I noticed when a Republican was the victim of a stabbing attempt, 46 didn't hesitate to disavow the attack.

Why should DeSantis hesitate here? He's too afraid he can't tell the difference between "leftists trying to trick him into disavowing Nazis" and .... Disavowing Nazis?

If he thinks its a false flag/Antifa ... then it makes even less sense not to disavow them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Panrich

• Registered Users Posts: 19,695 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

“We would just be sending in ‘fake’ electoral votes to Pence so that ‘someone’ in Congress can make an objection when they start counting votes, and start arguing that the ‘fake’ votes should be counted,”

This, my friends, is a Smoking Gun Email

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,463 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I'm sure Trump himself managed to eat most of the evidence or flush it down the toilet or whatever, though I'm not sure how you get rid of messages and e-mails when they exist outside your own control.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

For first time in 18 months (since moving out of the WH) Trump returns to DC to make a speech at the America First Agenda Summit. He stopped short of officially announcing his 2024 run for president. Although it is obvious with all his rallies and fund raising during these past 18 months he has been running for 2024.

If Trump wins 2024, I wonder if California, the world’s 5th largest economy, will consider Calexit seriously, and not as a nighttime show joke?

• Advertisement

Post edited by everlast75 on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

We all know this is bad, but his followers will call it fake…

He also says he'll strongly endorse someone he doesn't know.

I wonder if Dan paid him some money for that endorsement?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Wasn't there something released recently showing that Trump will endorse people for about 1m and they have to hire a specific person and pay them 10k per month?

You are spot on, I posted that a few pages back

• Registered Users Posts: 40,440 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

There was somebody else sentenced yesterday to 3 years in prison. They were a serving soldier.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I've been wondering about this a bit - Not any secession stuff , but if Trump was the nominee for 2024 could some States refuse to have him on their ballot?

For example , could they stipulate that any candidate wishing to run had to publicly accept that there was no fraud in 2020 or could they themselves at State level find him guilty of attempting to overturn the election and exclude him?

It wouldn't really matter if California did it as a GOP candidate is never winning there , but what if a Pennsylvania or another swing state were to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,532 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Unlikely there's a way for them to prevent it. There's always fringe candidates on ballots, if the party is registered to operate in the State, they can submit a candidate. If you recall, Ralph Nader was the "Green Party" candidate, Strom Thurmond the 'segregationist party', ...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I get that , but didn't one of the States pass legislation (or try to) that Candidates had to release their taxes before being eligible to stand?

I'm not necessarily talking about banning Trump specifically , but introducing legislation that he would find hard or impossible to comply with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭BigRighysteria

If any state did that it would further increase the suspicion of an unfair election.

An abc poll from January cited just 20% of americans are very confident in the election system.

No matter who wins in 2024 Kanye west or The Rock, both parties desperately need to make sure that the American population believe elections are fair and without any foul play.

If a country doesn't believe in the integrity of it's elections it is no longer a democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭briany

There's been talk of how the USA is moving towards another civil war. There's been countering talk about how that is complete hyperbole. On balance, I fail to see how banning certain high profile candidates from a presidential ballot would lessen the threat. If anything, it would surely supercharge it, wouldn't it? Especially in a swing state.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The US is already in a civil war. There are clearly sides and both sides see a radically different version of the US to the other side.

The only thing missing, and I understand that this is a key component of what is understood to be a civil war, is the actual fighting. But there is non-violent action being taken every day. Action in the form of gerrymandering, alignment of courts to a particular viewpoint, voting controls etc. This was always there to some extent but has been supercharged in the last 10 years so that now the lines are clearly drawn and you are either on one side of the other. There is no middle ground, no common 'American ideal' that both sides can at least agree on.

I cannot see any hope, at least in the short to medium term, or anything other than a continued escalation of the current situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,440 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The gop don't care if elections are fair or seen to be fair.

Indeed , that "lack of confidence in the Elections" has been entirely driven by the GOP.

The GOP trot out the line "We need legislation on election integrity because people no longer have faith in our system" completely ignoring the fact that the reason the people lack faith is that the GOP have spent the last 6+ years repeatedly claiming (entirely without evidence) that the elections can't be trusted..

I get where you are coming from , but how would a State doing it be different to it being done at the Federal level should trump be convicted of a crime that impacts his eligibility??

One way or another Trump has caused this situation - If the DOJ and others shy away from prosecuting him because of how it looks politically then Democrats & Independents faith in Democracy is badly impacted.

If he is prosecuted then GOP voters will feel victimised and their faith in Democracy will be badly impacted.

It is increasingly difficult to see a path back for the US here - The next 5-10 years do not look good for the US , they really don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,240 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Americans are right to have concerns about the fairness of elections. Whether its people commiting voter fraud (and there was proven voter fraud in 2020, just not necessarily the kind that Trump supporters would have you believe) or the hoops that people need to jump through just to exercise their right to vote on the day*, they are right to be concerned.

A big problem I noticed at the last election was the lack of a standardised federal voting system. What someone has to do to cast a vote in Oklahoma is not necessarily the same as what a voter has to do in somewhere like Vermont. Postal ballots, voter ID, getting time off work, all this is decided at state level which makes it unfair. Not to mention gerrymandering/re-districting.

How is it fair that someone in one part of the country has it tougher to vote in a national election than someone in a different part? I know state's rights seems to be a hot topic but does it not make sense that, for a national election, all American voters should have the same access? Of course, I don't see any chance of this being rectified any time soon.

*Black-ish had an election special episode in 2020 which laid bare a lot of the messing about that goes on for people who just want to have a say in who runs their country. I'd highly recommend the show in general but that particular episode is mind-blowing (and depressing).

I'd agreed completely about the utter shambles that is the national electoral system , but sadly I think that the argument that would be made is that people seeking Election to Federal office are not looking to be elected to the Federal Government , but they are seeking their "States nomination" to be that States representative in the House/Senate and that for POTUS elections technically you are voting for your preferred State level slate of Electors to attend the Electoral college on your behalf.

As such each State gets to decide how those representatives get chosen - See for example the fact that the Governor chooses a replacement should someone step down/die in Office and there isn't an immediate by-election as we would have here.

It's semantic nonsense , but that would the the "logic" provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭briany

Apparently, claiming the 2020 US Presidential election to be fraudulent is not a crime in and of itself in the USA. Referring back to your previous post, if states were to add a stipulation forcing candidates to accept there was no malfeasance in the 2020 election, it would just be seen by the usual suspects as moving the goalposts. If that stipulation were allowed to be added, would other states be allowed to add their own stipulation forcing candidates to accept that there was fraud in the 2020 election? There's just too much scope for heightening tensions to even mess with such a possibility.

Now, as to Trump being done at the Federal level, it probably won't happen. It would be a game of chicken between the Federal government and Trump in the sense of Trump's conviction potentially plunging the USA into large-scale civil unrest and Trump being so averse to the idea of spending even a minute in jail that he agrees to go quietly.

There aren't really any great options that I can see. The roots of Trumpism run deep and are arguably the culmination of a 30+ year process, starting with Reagan ending the US fairness doctrine for media outlets and the gutting of America's traditional industries. It won't be solved with any one thing.

"If a country doesn't believe in the integrity of it's elections it is no longer a democracy."

Agreed.

So why do you still support the person responsible for undermining the integrity of a legitimate election with lies and disinformation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Trump won because he had been in public eye for decades and many people in 2016 viewed the Trump brand as one of power/wealth and success and felt that would transfer to success as President.

Trumps also charismatic which goes a long way and the media were wall to wall Trump ignoring the other candidates completely like showing Trumps empty podium instead of Hillary Clinton rally. Couple that with fact the media spent the last two weeks treating Hillary Clinton like a death row inmate over 'her emails'.

Dé Santis possesses none of the things which helped Trump win in 16. He is a relative unknown to most voters outside Florida, not particularly charismatic or engaging talker, the media aren't going to have same level of interest in him they had Trump.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement