Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

You can't underestimate the huge impact that the media have on society and people's opinions.

If it wasn't for the media, most of us wouldn't even know that COVID exists.

As long as they keep talking about it and bringing in experts, politicians etc, there's still a chance that they could do something crazy this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭celt262

Exactly i think they are the ones suffering from long Covid and have spent way to much time on here over the last two years and can't let it go/nothing else to fill their time with. They are as bad as RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

i guess you have never complained about anything in your life on boards etc? I think all the fearmongering and hysteria over the last 2 years was pathetic. Do you remember Clare Byrne and her little fun pods or the pig pens at concerts?

Just because someone criticizes the media they seem to get the usual response “ nothing else to fill their time” blah blah” . Nothing further from the truth. I’ll be on Route 66 next month. Life couldn’t be better.

It makes me wonder if some people enjoy their doom fix from the media. Is that why some jump on the high horse to defend them whenever they are criticized? Or maybe some on here work in the media?

As someone else pointed out real life is normal out there. It’s just the media. But if anyone in the real world tried to dictate how i live my life they will be told where to go very quickly.

Post edited by Micky 32 on

Sorry i seem to have touched a nerve, i would advise you to dodge the media for a while though it seems to be putting you into hysterics !

I really wish I was able to just ignore it all.

But I can see the WHO warning about this winter. I see our party leaders warning about this winter. I see the HSE whining as always. And I see the government bringing in legislation to make masks mandatory as they see fit with Leo even suggesting they might ask people to wear them this winter.

If we get through this winter without doing something stupid, I'll be happy to ignore whatever gets said going forward.

But if we do something stupid, I can't see why the same hysteria won't occur every year going forward.

• Advertisement

Lol you haven’t touched a nerve at all. I seemed to have touched a nerve by commenting on the media on this thread.

Whenever someone has any criticism against the media on this thread they all jump on their keyboards like flies around a shyte.

you are obsessed with the media the country has moved on i would advise you to also !

Really, the "flies around shite" and those who shout "hysteria" when they are triggered by the mention of the C-word.

Lol. There you go again. I criticized an entity. It offended you. No surprise. There’s a difference between a debate and an obsession. I pointed out how people in the media and social media behave. How is that obsession? It turned into a debate when some jumped on their keyboards claiming obsessions.

Bit of advise don't be worrying about things that might never happen.

• Advertisement

Says the poster who put up a nonsense post hoping to prove some point when clearly you are a WUM. Well done, would you like a pat on the back?

Haha.. keeping googling for Covid and make sure you link or post about them here with your outrage ! LMFAO

No i don’t need to google about Covid. Sure don’t i have all the info i need on this thread from the experts 😉 BTW if you check my posts you’ll see i mostly post about positive news regarding covid. But i think that might upset some.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭US3

Just this hour RTE posted an article with 62 (sixty two) symptoms of long covid ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭bluedex

I just looked at the RTE news site out of interest, the first (most recent?) 20 articles. 4 of them are about covid, 1 about monkeypox.

Trivial things like climate change, earthquakes and the Ukraine war make up the rest. Seems disproportionate when you look at it.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

The Irish media have been a disgrace throughout Covid. Anyone that says otherwise is either living in a fantasy world or on a wind up.

To be honest, I think that COVID and Ophelia have changed the media permanently.

The news used to be pretty mundane and fairly factual. Politics, elections, finance, crime, sport, weather etc.

But the last few years in particular the news has changed and now it needs to be dramatic, end of the world stuff all the time.

They're desperately trying to keep COVID going. Desperate to get Monkeypox started and report anything doom related without even fact checking. Every bit of bad weather is made out to be Armageddon.

My poor parents are about to explode. They're convinced that a new deadly COVID variant is on the way, half the country has long COVID and the planet is doomed because there was a fire in Killiney!

I know lots of people that sadly think all this rubbish is true

• Registered Users Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Be right back

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thebronze14

At this stage I'd imagine 99% of people are ok being in a crowd. Not as if Covid is going anywhere so there's no point hiding away. We're all going to get it at different times of our life. I certainly wouldn't say they are uninformed. They just realise life is for living!

• Advertisement

You, and your parents, would be far better served if you spoke to them in a calm and rational manner, not in a frothing rage of “da meeja”, “hysteria” and the general vibe of ignore it completely. Arm yourself with facts. Talk about the new variants all being less impactful and the impact of vaccinations on severity. Discuss how these factors and others mean covid is now about as impactful as a mild flu. Relate cases of individuals your parents may know, especially from their own generation, who may have had it recently and are fine. Also acknowledge that there are still risks, but in the context of the risks before covid.

Recognising that their concerns were based on a reality that has now shifted is also important as it acknowledges thier feelings. And recognising that how they choose to live is a personal choice is important also.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,482 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Bed wetters? I guess sloganising insults for the people you disagree with is a substitute for thinking.

You seem to have be advancing a medical diagnosis that long covid is somehow all in the mind. A theory you have no evidence for, except insults. And that's not evidence of anything.

Post edited by odyssey06 on

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

No one is denying that long covid exists. It just gets maximised greatly throughout the media and with certain individuals you’ll find on social media. All illnesses can have side effects. I know more people with ongoing problems from strokes and heart attacks than i do from long covid.

I know of masses of people who have had covid over the last couple years including ederly people. I get to know of them through my work. None of them have post lung problems. I know one woman who claims to suffer pains in her chest 6 months on but she smokes 60 cigarettes a day.

I’m not saying long covid doesn’t exist but it’s not the big bad wolf some like to make it is just to try and prove some point. Other illnesses would be a higher concern to me than covid. A cousin of mine dropped dead at 56 last week.

Stressing about getting long covid is something I won’t be doing. It won’t stop me carrying on with my life.

That poster appeared to suggest it didn't exist \ was psychosomatic. Which is why I responded. So I presume you disagree with such a suggestion.

Or maybe the poster is trying to say that they don’t know anyone who has long covid and thinks it is blown out of proportion on the forums? There is a certain predictable cohort on these forums and elsewhere who do seem to highlight long covid etc more than others.

Hospitalisations contine to drop. Now down to half of what they were a couple weeks back.

That was clearly not what was implied and your response is likewise what can be expected from a predictable cohort who sees no evil, hears no evil except that they want to see.

No he didn’t say long covid doesn’t exist. Show me where he said that? He said it’s the usual neurotic that are mostly whinging and stressing about it.

Making false assumptions when you know nothing about me. Hear and see no evil? That must be why i never contracted covid despite being high risk. I must be reckless right? I do the basics to protect myself.

• Advertisement

Only bed watters from March are the only people that suffer from it or know people who suffer from it?

Clear implication it's all in their perception.

Seemed to be the usual neurotic whinging and stressing about 'faux' hysteria.

Which I refuted with evidence.

You're just defending nonsense with more nonsense.

Advertisement